Naruto: a failed copy of Hunter X Hunter?

I can’t help but think that HxH is everything that Naruto tried to be and failed monumentally. It is a legitimately good, and well-written shounen, as opposed to gay ninjas and plotarmor: the manga. While it’s true that their paths diverged after a couple hundred chapters, and Kishimoto couldn’t steal any more concepts and ideas from Togashi anymore due to all the hiatuses, some of their early similarities are borderline plagiarism, and the only reason Kishimoto doesn’t get called out on these more often is because he is friends with Togashi, HxH and YYH’s author, and because of Naruto’s inflated popularity in America.

Mind you, Naruto was always bad/mediocre, but it took a nosedive in quality exactly after HxH went on hiatus, leaving Kishimoto without his guiding point. No wonder Part II of Naruto consisted of Sasuke Rescue arcs and fighting old villains again, until Kishimoto finally decided what to write, albeit much too late.

Anyways, these similarities are pretty hard not to notice, and when there’s just too many of them, copied in such a blatant manner, it’s hard to call them just a coincidence. Let’s see:

- Gon’s best friend and rival Killua is a prodigy and very skilled from a prestigious family. He is the same age as Gon but with a more calm, serious and dark attitude. Killua’s nen type is electricity (similar to Sasuke’s lightning). Killua however, always remains a likable character, even outside of lolJapan, and his friendship bonds with the main character are portrayed and emphasized. In return, Gon also goes all out to take Killua away from his own deadly assassin family, Naruto goes all out to retrieve Sasuke from his best friend’s very powerful and dangerous mentor. Also, Killua’s electricity Hatsu is copied to Naruto in the form of Sasuke’s Chidori Nagashi.

- Kurapika is the last survivor of the massacre of the Kuruta clan. He lives for revenge above anything. The Kuruta clan has a special ability called “Scarlet Eyes” their eyes turn red. Kishimoto combined him and Killua to create Sasuke. Halfway through the series however, his troubles are dealt with without the descent into DARKNESS.

- The main protagonist Gon has a father who is a legendary Hunter, but Gon has never met him or his mother. The 4th hokage was also considered legendary and this was present very early in Naruto, and Naruto an orphan. Both series start with the main characters’ childhood where Gon and Naruto are twelve-year old boys

- The concept of special moves are quite similar. While lots of shounen deal with auras and energies, in this case Chakra is a clear adaptation of Nen. Some of the jutsus, like puppetry, summons and elemental properties, are also present in the Chakra concept. Additionally, put a piece of paper in a glass of water and put your hands on top of it in HxH and you find out your Nen Specialization affinity. Do the exact same thing in Naruto and you find out your chakra element.

- Nen training is actual training. Togashi undoubtedly writes some of the best training arcs in all shounen in HxH. This is quite a feat, because those generally suck, and they in fact do suck in Naruto. Chakra training is clapping your hands, using clones to learn faster, fighting your dark persona and swallowing frogs.

- Gon is considered oddly special by most people who meet him. He is a very honest, determined and pure-hearted boy who brings out the good in people he encounters, making them friends. He is gifted with an ability to change people and make them believe in him. Same goes for Naruto, which in part II of the manga goes overboard, on this aspect, leading many to believe he’s being written as a mary-sue.

- Gon Freecs eventually gains 3 friends on his quest to be a hunter while Naruto becomes part of Team 7 in ninja school and also gains 3 friends, the other main characters, in the process.

- Both them have examination arcs, Hunter and Ninja. Both exams have a preliminary phase, where the main characters go through a dangerous forest and are toyed with by a creepy pedo villain (Hisoka/Orochimaru), and a tournament phase, where the characters fight each other, to win the approval of the head figure (Chairman Netero/Third Hokage). HxH, however, has series of intelligent and well-written challenges to test various skills, some of the mental ones are even written to surprise the readers. Naruto at best has a a cheerio’s annual prize race.

- The Phantom Brigade/Genei Ryodan is a band of extremely powerful criminals, similar to Akatsuki, except for the fact that they actually do ****. The leader of Phantom Brigade Chrollo Lucifer has a special nen ability to copy and use any Nen ability no matter what type of Nen it is. The leader of Akatsuki has the special rinnegan which lets him have complete mastery over all types of chakra element. Hisoka, the creepy pedo villain, is part of the Phantom Brigade, but has always had his own secret agenda, and eventually leaves the Phantom Brigade, not unlike Orochimaru and Akatsuki.

- At one point, Gon meets Biscuit, a 50something lady which has developed a technique to make herself always look young (much like Genkai from YYH, also from Togashi), hiding her true appearance. Exactly like Tsunade from Naruto.

couldn't help but post it here. Since hindi ko alam masyado ang storya ng naruto, is this for real?? what do you guys think??

Comments

• dylandarkk8dylandarkk8 Gaara 5th Kazekage PExer
    same hindi ko din alam storya ng naruto kasi even though one of the popular anime and mangas ang naruto I cant help but procrastinate on watching or reading it -.-' . I'm not sure though if that's real kasi as I've heard Naruto is a good anime and manga.
  • lemarXYlemarXY Member PExer
    Bakit failed? :confused:
  • dspr8 ruggeddspr8 rugged Exia facepalms for you PExer
    I'm not a Naruto or HXH fan, but whoever wrote that tried so hard to make the point just to get the Naruto fans' to rage.
  • greavergreaver Dexter, Evry City shud hv 1 PExer
    Running for more than 10 years with minimal hiatus and always staying on top with the rankings while Hiatus X Hiatus is well, always on hiatus and poorly drawn because of author's pride and laziness. I can see similarities but i can't see failure, HxH is more of a failure because of the mangaka then naruto is.
  • jcnachorjcnachor Member PExer
    Kaito_Kid wrote: »
    couldn't help but post it here. Since hindi ko alam masyado ang storya ng naruto, is this for real?? what do you guys think??

ang sipag ng gumawa nyan ah. pwede kaya sya gumawa ng comparison ng YYH at bleach. totoo na similar sila sa areas na yan. at agree ako na bumagsak ang quality ng naruto (pero hindi ko siguro masasabi dahil yun sa nagbakasyon kasi si togashi). parang average shounen manga na lang sya. disagree naman ako na nag fail ang naruto. ok naman sya sa ToC, mangasales sa Jap at sa US, at dami naman sya merchandise.
  • cariscaris Member PExer
    lemarXY wrote: »
    Bakit failed? :confused:

ha?:confused:ako rin bakit failed...?? anu kaya yun?:confused:
  • never4getnever4get X-Burner! PExer
    Baka mag super saiyan 3 din si Naruto kung ganun :rotflmao:
  • Kaito_KidKaito_Kid Member PExer
    Failed kasi based lang dun sa contents nung post nayan. Anyway, i think nasira lang ang HxH sa mga fans dahil sa pag hihiatus ng series. I read from a site na may sakit na si Togashi kaya lagi na hihiatus ang HxH?
    Kaito_Kid wrote: »
    Failed kasi based lang dun sa contents nung post nayan. Anyway, i think nasira lang ang HxH sa mga fans dahil sa pag hihiatus ng series. I read from a site na may sakit na si Togashi kaya lagi na hihiatus ang HxH?

nagiging usual shounen lang naman sila pareho. benta naman yung ganung styles sa karamihan. hehehe.

dragon quest-isitis ata ang sakit ni togashi. based sa nababasa ko lang din sa net. baka lumala yung sakit nya kasi lalabas na yung DQ X. una parang di ako naniniwala hanggang nung nakabasa ako ng translation ng comment nya sa ToC: naglalaro daw sya ng DQ. at narelate ko sa greed island arc. nasa loob sila ng video game. :rotflmao:
  • AbomasnowAbomasnow Banned by Admin PExer
    Hindi ko alam ang istorya ng Naruto.

Basta gusto ko ang Hunter X Hunter!
  • Shinobi_NinjaShinobi_Ninja Ninja Space Pirate Captain PExer
    I know Naruto is not a perfect series but I'm still enjoying it and that's what matters(at least to me). I like Hunter X Hunter too but I don't want to continue a series where the mangaka tends to have a long hiatus whenever he likes. I heard rumors that Togashi is rich anyway so he draws as a hobby and not as a profession to earn money(not that it's bad or anything). I'll just wait for HxH to finish.
  • keehlnatekeehlnate Best Wrestler in the World PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Naruto = failed? Really? Kahit san mo tignan e lamang na lamang tong Naruto sa HxH. Tignan mo anime kung ilang episodes, kung ilang movies? Kahit sa manga sa tingin nyo ilang volumes na ang Naruto?

Eto ngang HxH e di nga tinuloy. Ngayon lang ulet. Tapos yung bagong anime season ng HxH ay hindi bagong episodes kundi remake lang.

Saka bat naging copy ng HxH ang Naruto? Seryoso ba to? b0b0 lang ang nagsasabing kinopya lang sa HxH ang Naruto.

Btw, mas gusto ko ang HxH kesa sa Naruto pero nagsasabi lang ako ng totoo.
  • kimutakukimutaku baby baby baby baby shiba~ PExer
    Good observation. Although kahit naman sa ibang manga/anime eh hindi maiiwasan na mapansing may similarities lalo na if yung kinocompare na mga manga series eh nasa magkaibang panahon. Kagaya n lang ng Bleach at YYH. :bop:

In this world kasi na marami nang nagdaan na manga, mahirap na talagang maka-create ng very original concept, plot or character na wala man lang similarities sa ibang manga lalo na pag shonen kasi most of the time ang theme neto is protecting your friends ek ek. Pero kung marami na talagang similarities, eh ibang usapan na talaga yan hehe.
  • eagle_snareeagle_snare Swanna- Brave Bird PExer
    keehlnate wrote: »
    Naruto = failed? Really? Kahit san mo tignan e lamang na lamang tong Naruto sa HxH. Tignan mo anime kung ilang episodes, kung ilang movies? Kahit sa manga sa tingin nyo ilang volumes na ang Naruto?

Eto ngang HxH e di nga tinuloy. Ngayon lang ulet. Tapos yung bagong anime season ng HxH ay hindi bagong episodes kundi remake lang.

Saka bat naging copy ng HxH ang Naruto? Seryoso ba to? b0b0 lang ang nagsasabing kinopya lang sa HxH ang Naruto.

Nasa author po kasi yan. Laging nakaHiatus kasi ang HxH
  • •lex••lex• Wiggins! PExer
    kimutaku wrote: »
    Good observation. Although kahit naman sa ibang manga/anime eh hindi maiiwasan na mapansing may similarities lalo na if yung kinocompare na mga manga series eh nasa magkaibang panahon. Kagaya n lang ng Bleach at YYH. :bop:

In this world kasi na marami nang nagdaan na manga, mahirap na talagang maka-create ng very original concept, plot or character na wala man lang similarities sa ibang manga lalo na pag shonen kasi most of the time ang theme neto is protecting your friends ek ek. Pero kung marami na talagang similarities, eh ibang usapan na talaga yan hehe.

Ano po yung YYH? :D
  • naianaia 希望の光 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^Yu Yu Hakusho
  • dylandarkk8dylandarkk8 Gaara 5th Kazekage PExer
    •lex• wrote: »
    Ano po yung YYH? :D

ghost fighter *okay*
    may nabangga lang ako ng list ng similarities ng YYH sa naruto. hahaha.
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110224191137AAmpWp9

minsan pilit na din talaga yung mga similarities eh.
    keehlnate wrote: »

easy lang dyan, OA lang siguro din yung gumawa nung comparison. baka nasabi lang na kopya ay baka kasi nauna yung mga gawa ni togashi sa gawa ni kishi.

in fairness malupit naman talaga si togashi. para syang favorite child ng jump. kahit na hindi sya lagi gumagawa ng manga, hindi sya na aaxe. siguro mga nasa same tier si togashi at kishi as a mangaka.
  • Wicked_WoodmanWicked_Woodman Wicked and Mean PExer
    I can't judge! Di ko naman alam ang story ng Naruto! hahaha
  • Wicked_WoodmanWicked_Woodman Wicked and Mean PExer
    Pero angtanong: Alin ba ang mas nauna?

Ang alam ko, late 1990's pa ang HxH.

I love HxH talaga! Favorite ko ang Genei Ryodan! Sana ibalik na sila sa next arc!

Lagi kong nababasang kinukumpara ang Genei Ryodan sa Akatsuki.

I can't judge naman kasi di ako nagbabasa or nanonood ng Naruto :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file