COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

"How I freed myself from Christianity"

Frank_MackyFrank_Macky Heretic / Infidel PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
... also applies to all other religions and self-described "non-religious" beliefs.


From http://myanalyses.com/christianity.html

"It was early in the morning and I was laying in my bed. I was just waking up from my sleep. It was the moment in between being asleep and being awake, when mental processes are not in full gear yet. While I was relaxing in this state, I became aware of a feeling that there was some pressing matter at hand.

This feeling crystallized into this thought: “There is something pressing going on in my life, but I can’t remember what it is exactly.” Then, as my mind shifted into higher gear, I suddenly remembered what the pressing matter was, and it came to me in the form of this exact thought: “OH, I HAVE TO BELIEVE AGAIN..!”

Because I went from a very relaxed natural state straight into the high gear mind-state of thinking I ‘had to believe,’ I became acutely aware of how conventional religious belief takes root in the mind.

In that moment I saw that conventional religious belief is a dictatorship of the mind. It is me imposing a believe upon myself, so that I can deal with my own ignorance.

The second after this realization, I freed myself from Christianity. I threw off the chains of that self-imposed delusion.

That liberation had nothing to do with rejecting the person of Jesus. But it had everything to do with renouncing HOW THE MIND uses religious belief to cover up its existential despair.



"Existential despair"... how very Sartrean... :)
«13456789

Comments

  • AteoAteo Non est Deus. Fac cum eo. PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    As for me, I freed myself from Christianity by studying the Bible. It seems ironic, but had I simply went on with my faith without studying the Bible, I may still be a Christian up to this day. But what happened was that I studied the Bible and followed the logic and arguments of various factions -- mainly Catholic Faith Defenders vs. Evangelicals.

    I studiously analyzed each side's arguments. Then, something curious started to happen. I slowly noticed the hypocrisy and wrong logic of Apostle Paul. In my view, he was the weakest link. He was un-Christian, he seemed not to know or follow Jesus. I reached a point of deciding that he was an anti-Christ.

    After that, I focused on other apostles -- Peter, John, and James. Again, slowly dismissing them. The rest of the apostles were just decorations with no writings to judge them by, so they too were dismissed.

    I also looked at the OT. The God of the OT was so easy to reject. Even Paul himself was so embarassed with the OT that he himself dismissed the OT without clearly saying so.

    Eventually, my analysis reached Christ. It was a big, scary phase to critically analyze Christ. But eventually, he too did not live up to his divine claims.

    That was my journey of freedom from religion.
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    Bible contradictions did it for me.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    same with ateo. read the bible from cover to cover. some of the stories don't really have morals at all.. especially in deutoronomy.. by the time i was reading revelations, i was thinking "damn.. i gotta have what they're smoking.." :lol:
  • JazonEstiJazonEsti Business Guru PExer
    Some people here are like the crazies who read medical publications, declare themselves experts on the field, then proclaim that vaccines are dangerous, that we should distrust our doctors, etc. Oh, and they sway other people to think like them too.

    Really now. :lol:

    Ah well, thank God religion has a away of ridding itself of morons. History tells us it's not 100% efficient but hey at least it's very clear from the previous posts that it works.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    JazonEsti wrote: »
    Some people here are like the crazies who read medical publications, declare themselves experts on the field, then proclaim that vaccines are dangerous, that we should distrust our doctors, etc. Oh, and they sway other people to think like them too.

    Really now. :lol:

    Ah well, thank God religion has a away of ridding itself of morons. History tells us it's not 100% efficient but hey at least it's very clear from the previous posts that it works.

    From one of my heroes George Carlin:

    "Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man living in the sky who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time!

    BUT HE LOVES YOU. He loves you, and He needs MONEY! He always needs MONEY! He's all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, somehow just can't handle MONEY! Religion takes in BILLIONS of dollars, they pay NO TAXES, and they always need a little MORE. Now, you talk about a good bullshit story. Holy shit!"


    And we, the ones who don't believe in the man living in the sky (together with the talking snake and the talking donkey), are the morons... :hmm:
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    JazonEsti wrote: »
    Some people here are like the crazies who read medical publications, declare themselves experts on the field, then proclaim that vaccines are dangerous, that we should distrust our doctors, etc. Oh, and they sway other people to think like them too.

    Really now. :lol:

    Ah well, thank God religion has a away of ridding itself of morons. History tells us it's not 100% efficient but hey at least it's very clear from the previous posts that it works.

    Who's a bible expert for you?:lol:
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    Oh, man... :(

    Do not readily dismiss the Bible and Christianity. There are around 34,000 Christian groups in the world. Yes, it is impossible to study each one. But if you truly believe in the existence of God and you have this desire to serve the true God, I believe this will lead you to the truth. To the answers to your questions.

    I believe we cannot entirely rely on self-study because that is tantamount to proclaiming we are highly intelligent enough to make our conclusions. "This is what I discovered by myself, I'm capable of understanding everything I've read, and I'm done." No, we can't be like that. I'm not dismissing self-study-- that is important-- that's the beginning of wisdom, but open-mindedness is also key. And humility. If we strip off any prejudices and just take in different belief systems, different Christian teachings, then who knows where it will lead us? I don't think one should automatically shut off from any mention of Jesus and the Bible. Just as we should not stop learning. And learning should not be restricted to self-study alone. Observation is learning. Experience is learning. Talking to preachers is learning.

    And I believe that if an individual humbly believes that there is someone bigger than him, and he seeks to understand, he feels in his heart that there really is a God and not this God that was introduced to him in Catholic or Protestant school, then go ahead: embrace your doubts, explore, study, listen and pay attention. And it wouldn't hurt to pray and call out to that God we feel we haven't met yet. And ask him to lead us to Him before we entirely lose our belief in his existence. Or before we create our own set of beliefs. :)
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie Moderator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    that's essentially what the 33,+++ other sects are saying.
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    So what? I don't think there's anything wrong with that. ;) In the end, it's still your decision. Nobody can really force you. It is your life.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    Oh, man... :(

    Do not readily dismiss the Bible and Christianity. There are around 34,000 Christian groups in the world. Yes, it is impossible to study each one. But if you truly believe in the existence of God and you have this desire to serve the true God, I believe this will lead you to the truth. To the answers to your questions.

    but the question remains: why would i need to serve a true god if i can be good without him? why would i worship something that is not demonstrable? why would i pray to something that is allowing fetuses to have the aids virus? why do i have to fear hell even if i don't kill other people or steal their stuff?

    you are speaking of god like god is full of mysteries and shit.. here's the news for you: there is no mystery. there is no god in the realm of possibility. the mere fact that there are around 34,000 christian groups, countless non-christian groups shows that there are more than 34,000 people in the whole world proclaiming and selling certainty. the certainty that after a worshipper dies, if he or she is a member of the congregation, he or she will be "saved". the sad part is that you have to believe BLINDLY. you have to believe and not use your head for thinking critically because it is a sin and it is a form of PRIDE. thus, you let your church run your life by practically telling you what to do. you don't care anymore if your church is the truth or not because it's impossible to study the 34,000 other christian denominations that exist.
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    I believe we cannot entirely rely on self-study because that is tantamount to proclaiming we are highly intelligent enough to make our conclusions. "This is what I discovered by myself, I'm capable of understanding everything I've read, and I'm done." No, we can't be like that. I'm not dismissing self-study-- that is important-- that's the beginning of wisdom, but open-mindedness is also key. And humility. If we strip off any prejudices and just take in different belief systems, different Christian teachings, then who knows where it will lead us? I don't think one should automatically shut off from any mention of Jesus and the Bible. Just as we should not stop learning. And learning should not be restricted to self-study alone. Observation is learning. Experience is learning. Talking to preachers is learning.

    talking to preachers is learning? if god is really all-knowing and all-wise, why does he need middlemen to pass on his message to you? a god does not need middlemen to tell you stuff.. it's a GOD. having middlemen to pass your message to all corners of the world is not ungodly. you are talking about open-mindedness and yet you are rejecting the fact that god does not exist at all. where's the open-mindedness in that? yes observation is learning. experience is learning. but talking to preachers is not. i will only talk to preachers and priests after they all have settled with the thousands of kids that they have raped and molested. otherwise, they do not have the authority to tell me how i should live my life.

    click here to read about another rapist priest

    wanna talk to him about how to live your life?
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    And I believe that if an individual humbly believes that there is someone bigger than him, and he seeks to understand, he feels in his heart that there really is a God and not this God that was introduced to him in Catholic or Protestant school, then go ahead: embrace your doubts, explore, study, listen and pay attention. And it wouldn't hurt to pray and call out to that God we feel we haven't met yet, and ask him to lead us to Him before we entirely lose our belief on his existence. Or before we create our own religion. :)

    that's what actually hurts people - praying and calling out to a god that they haven't met yet and then just kneeling on one corner of a room stupidly asking this god for things good and bad. hands that work are infinitely better than hands that pray.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    So what? I don't think there's anything wrong with that. ;) In the end, it's still your decision. Nobody can really force you. It is your life.

    everything's infinitely wrong with that. they are all trying to scare people about hell instead of letting them live their life.
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    Well, first you sound as if the Catholic God is the one true absolute God recognized by the entire Christendom or practitioners of religion (your references of sexual-predator priests and your anti-RH bill rant). Religions vary in their teachings about the nature of God and His laws. In my Christian religion, God is not made up of three persons, for example. And we support the RH bill, and that ministers who are caught raping-- my church excommunicates and sends to the authorities. And the fact that you talk as if the only preachers in the world are Catholic priests proves that you have yet to discover and learn more. :lol:

    The Catholic Church is not automatically synonymous to Christianity nor it should be automatically linked to Christ and the Bible. :lol: In truth, it deviates from Christian moral values even just by self-studying the Bible.

    And by open-mindedness, I don't really see anything in my post that says that one should be strictly open-minded only to organized religions. Or Christianity. Is there such a thing? :lol: By being open-minded, it means the real definition of the term: being open to all sorts of beliefs, of course it includes atheism. If you think the RCC is one screwed-up religion, then explore outside.

    All I am saying is if you feel it in your heart that there might be someone bigger than you, you have this nagging feeling, then continue pursuing wisdom. Learning should be constant. And self-study is not enough. It even screams pride and arrogance. Whether you have finally decided to become an atheist, embrace Islam, become a Born Again Christian, a Rosicrucian, an agnostic, a Buddhist, don't stop learning. Strip off prejudices.
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    everything's infinitely wrong with that. they are all trying to scare people about hell instead of letting them live their life.

    All 34,000? :hmm: If you guys have Google+, you have this one circle called "Christianity" and labeled it with WRONG, based on your Roman Catholic Church orientation. :lol:

    Basic fundamental, elementary fact: The Catholic Church-- or the Born Again Christians-- does not represent the entire Christendom.
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    Well, first you sound as if the Catholic God is the one true absolute God (your references of sexual-predator priests and your anti-RH bill rant). Religions vary in their teachings about the nature of God and His laws. In my Christian religion, God is not made up of three persons, for example. And we support the RH bill, and that ministers who are caught raping-- my church excommunicates and sends to the authorities. And the fact that you talk as if the only preachers in the world are Catholic priests proves that you have yet to discover and learn more. :lol:

    The Catholic Church is not automatically synonymous to Christianity nor it should be automatically linked to Christ and the Bible. :lol: In truth, it deviates from Christian moral values even just by self-studying the Bible.

    And by open-mindedness, I don't really see anything in my post that says that one should be strictly open-minded only to organized religions. Or Christianity. Is there such a thing? :lol: By being open-minded, it means the real definition of the term: being open to all sorts of beliefs, of course it includes atheism. If you think the RCC is one screwed-up religion, then explore outside.

    All I am saying is if you feel it in your heart that there might be someone bigger than you, you have this nagging feeling, then continue pursuing wisdom. Learning should be constant. And self-study is not enough. It even screams pride and arrogance. Whether you have finally decided to become an atheist, an Islam, a Born Again Christian, a Rosicrucian, an agnostic, a Buddhist, don't stop learning. Strip off prejudices.

    for an intelligent gal, it's such a shame you believe in a god and you're a member of an organized religion. a believer that a guy named christ will be able to save you from the so-called hell. you talk about being open-minded and yet you are saying that self-study is not enough. if that doesn't make you a hypocrite then i have absolutely no idea. i'm disappointed that you think your preachers/priests/shaman knows god more than you do. that they are more authoritative than you when it comes to the word of god.

    what if self study screams pride and arrogance? at least it's not more arrogant than saying "hello. when you die, you'll go to hell because you were born a sinner. but if you believe in what we believe in, you'll go to heaven."

    baby, you need not talk to your priests/preachers for guidance. all you need to do is read your bible from cover to cover and not just bits from it. now that you have the intelligence and the wisdom to comprehend and make your own choices, read your bible from cover to cover and when you get to the part where there is a talking donkey, ask yourself "is this really what i believe in?"
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    All 34,000? :hmm: If you guys have Google+, you have this one circle called "Christianity" and labeled it with WRONG, based on your Roman Catholic Church orientation. :lol:

    Basic fundamental, elementary fact: The Catholic Church-- or the Born Again Christians-- does not represent the entire Christendom.

    basic fact: christianity implies believing in christ as the savior and if you don't believe in him, you'll not have eternal life.

    basic question: what if you're wrong? :rotflmao:
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    for an intelligent gal, it's such a shame you believe in a god and you're a member of an organized religion. a believer that a guy named christ will be able to save you from the so-called hell. you talk about being open-minded and yet you are saying that self-study is not enough. if that doesn't make you a hypocrite then i have absolutely no idea. i'm disappointed that you think your preachers/priests/shaman knows god more than you do. that they are more authoritative than you when it comes to the word of god.

    what if self study screams pride and arrogance? at least it's not more arrogant than saying "hello. when you die, you'll go to hell because you were born a sinner. but if you believe in what we believe in, you'll go to heaven."

    baby, you need not talk to your priests/preachers for guidance. all you need to do is read your bible from cover to cover and not just bits from it. now that you have the intelligence and the wisdom to comprehend and make your own choices, read your bible from cover to cover and when you get to the part where there is a talking donkey, ask yourself "is this really what i believe in?"

    I have read the Bible from cover to cover, my friend. Not just bits and pieces. How come saying "self-study is not enough" makes me a hypocrite? Besides you don't know where I came from.

    I still do believe that one should not entirely rely on one's own comprehension and understanding and close off everybody else that challenges one's beliefs. And never did I have this preconceived notion that a preacher is automatically more intelligent than me. :lol: People are also books. And you don't believe everything you hear-- just the same as you don't believe everything you read, right? And as the saying goes, you can learn something even from the village idiot. :lol: Like if you are curious about Islam, is it wrong to talk to an Imam as part of your learning process? 'Course not. He's an expert in his religion. Is it foolish to speak to a preacher of a religion? Kabisado mo na religion nila?

    And because I belong to an organized religion, I am already labeled by your kind. And no one should accuse me that I have stopped learning altogether.

    If you are 100% certain where you are now with your beliefs, then there is no reason to be affected by my words. ;) Live your life as you please. All I am advocating is constant open-mindedness-- and that people should stop thinking that the Roman Catholic Church is synonymous to Christianity.
  • IscharamoochieIscharamoochie Moderator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    uuuuy, somebody's callong somebody "baby" :naughty:
  • Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    basic fact: christianity implies believing in christ as the savior and if you don't believe in him, you'll not have eternal life.

    That's it? Well, of course the common denominator of Christian religions is Christ. But the basis for eternal life varies.
    basic question: what if you're wrong? :rotflmao:

    If I say that I'm pretty solid where I am now, albeit the fact that I do not stop learning, what would you say? :naughty:

    And if I throw back the question at you, baby, out of sincere curiosity, what will you tell me? What if you are wrong? :lol:
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    I have read the Bible from cover to cover, my friend. Not just bits and pieces. How come saying "self-study is not enough" makes me a hypocrite? Besides you don't know where I came from.

    I still do believe that one should not entirely rely on one's own comprehension and understanding and close off everybody else that challenges one's beliefs. And never did I have this preconceived notion that a preacher is automatically more intelligent than me. :lol: People are also books. And you don't believe everything you hear-- just the same as you don't believe everything you read, right? And as the saying goes, you can learn something even from the village idiot. :lol: Like if you are curious about Islam, is it wrong to talk to an Imam as part of your learning process? 'Course not. He's an expert in his religion. Is it foolish to speak to a preacher of a religion? Kabisado mo na religion nila?

    And because I belong to an organized religion, I am already labeled by your kind. And no one should accuse me that I have stopped learning altogether.

    If you are 100% certain where you are now with your beliefs, then there is no reason to be affected by my words. ;) Live your life as you please. All I am advocating is constant open-mindedness-- and that people should stop thinking that the Roman Catholic Church is synonymous to Christianity.

    oh, i am not affected by your words. i'm just disappointed that a smart gal like you would be fooled by an organized religion. your mind belongs to the free realm. you still believe and accept that your religion is true even though you're saying that we must all research and learn and not believe the things we hear or read.. yet here you are - a member of an organized religion believing in papa jeezis and the promise of eternal life. i can't help but think that you wanna learn a lot of things from other religions and you're just only using your religion as a fall-back in case rupture happens in an instant. advocating constant open-mindedness is not really compatible with believing in an organized religion. if you're part of an organized religion, you are not instructed to think. you are only instructed to follow and believe no matter the cose. or else, you will not be saved.

    no preacher will tell you "don't believe in everything that you read or that you hear - including our religion. think for yourselves!" :lol:
  • mistervontriermistervontrier The Antichrist PExer
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    That's it? Well, of course the common denominator of Christian religions is Christ. But the basis for eternal life varies.

    If I say that I'm pretty solid where I am now, albeit the fact that I do not stop learning, what would you say? :naughty:

    basis for eternal life varies? have you heard about john 3:16? i think you bible's pretty clear about that. :lol:
    Lola_Rose wrote: »
    And if I throw back the question at you, baby, out of sincere curiosity, what will you tell me? What if you are wrong? :lol:

    then i'll rot in hell for all eternity. i ain't afraid of no hell. now back to you.. what if you're wrong? :p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file