Alternative Job for Nurses = Clinical Research Industry

Hi fellow nurses! I would like to share my experience as a nurse working in the clinical research industry. I graduated and passed the NLE in 2009. However, due to the limited opportunity to work as a nurse here in the country, I ventured into other related fields like Medical Transcription and now for 1-1/2 years in the Clinical Research Industry. The industry is dominated by Pharmacists since basically the industry is focused in drug research and development and pharmacists seem to be the best fit to the job. But most of the Sponsors/clients prefer nurses as we utilize a holistic approach in our work and we are familiar and knowledgeable of the medical terms and medical procedures. My job includes mainly filing of study documents and submission of safety reports to the Ethics Committee of the sites (hospitals). It is more of a clerical job/desk job rather than patient care. A more important role in the clinical research industry is the Clinical Research Associate where you will have the opportunity to monitor the progress of the clinical trial and overseeing the study at your site.

I think nurses are more qualified to be in this industry than other health care professionals. I hope this can help in lowering the numbers of unemployed nurses here in the country. For more information about the clinical research industry, you can always check it in Google. There are a lot of clinical research organizations operating here in the Philippines namely Quintiles, PPD, Parexel, ClinTech, Icon, among others. You can also try becoming a study coordinator working for the investigators (Physician conducting the research) in different hospitals. It is financially satisfying and gives a lot of opportunities to travel.

Comments

• ee_eeee_ee Member PExer
    Hi fellow nurses! I would like to share my experience as a nurse working in the clinical research industry. I graduated and passed the NLE in 2009. However, due to the limited opportunity to work as a nurse here in the country, I ventured into other related fields like Medical Transcription and now for 1-1/2 years in the Clinical Research Industry. The industry is dominated by Pharmacists since basically the industry is focused in drug research and development and pharmacists seem to be the best fit to the job. But most of the Sponsors/clients prefer nurses as we utilize a holistic approach in our work and we are familiar and knowledgeable of the medical terms and medical procedures. My job includes mainly filing of study documents and submission of safety reports to the Ethics Committee of the sites (hospitals). It is more of a clerical job/desk job rather than patient care. A more important role in the clinical research industry is the Clinical Research Associate where you will have the opportunity to monitor the progress of the clinical trial and overseeing the study at your site.

I think nurses are more qualified to be in this industry than other health care professionals. I hope this can help in lowering the numbers of unemployed nurses here in the country. For more information about the clinical research industry, you can always check it in Google. There are a lot of clinical research organizations operating here in the Philippines namely Quintiles, PPD, Parexel, ClinTech, Icon, among others. You can also try becoming a study coordinator working for the investigators (Physician conducting the research) in different hospitals. It is financially satisfying and gives a lot of opportunities to travel.

Wow. thanks a lot bro! Mga magkano range ng salary kapag "financially satisfying"? hehe. Ok ba working environment? Hindi ba toxic?
    And how did you apply pala? Did you use their website or did you call their office? i checked Quintiles and Parexel's website. Promising companies naman sila.
  • Starting salary depends on the Clinical Research Organization (CRO) and of course experience to related fields. Most CROs can offer to an entry level research assistants a minimum of 20k inclusive of allowances. As you gain experience in the industry, Clinical Research Associate I (CRA I) salary can range from 30k-40k. It gets higher as you gain experience and promoted to a higher position. It's not that bad considering the salary of staff nurses today unless you have plans to go abroad.
    Starting salary depends on the Clinical Research Organization (CRO) and of course experience to related fields. Most CROs can offer to an entry level research assistants a minimum of 20k inclusive of allowances. As you gain experience in the industry, Clinical Research Associate I (CRA I) salary can range from 30k-40k. It gets higher as you gain experience and promoted to a higher position. It's not that bad considering the salary of staff nurses today unless you have plans to go abroad.

wow! not super bad ha! compared to call centers din mataas na! Pwede ka ba i-pm bro? hehe. I have several questions. =D
  • Usually referral system. I know someone who works in the industry and referred me as a Research Assistant. I have no prior experience to clinical research industry so I guess my credentials and interview skills got me in. You can try as a walk-in applicant, browse through their websites if they have an opening. Good luck! :)
    Usually referral system. I know someone who works in the industry and referred me as a Research Assistant. I have no prior experience to clinical research industry so I guess my credentials and interview skills got me in. You can try as a walk-in applicant, browse through their websites if they have an opening. Good luck! :)

Ok. got it. ang hirap naman niyan. Referral system. hehe. Anyway, I'll just search for openings. thanks a lot!
  • CruzeCruze Member PExer
    well what can I say, This Job really is great! this was my previous job and all I can say is that I enjoyed working as a clinical research nurse.. =)
  • jay08jay08 Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^^what company? where do you work right now? hospital na?
  • bonching0614bonching0614 Member PExer
    any idea kung may company na hiring?pano ba process ng application?so sad naman
  • ms_CRAms_CRA Member PExer
    Hi guys, for those who wanna try the clinical research industry, I think Quintiles, Covance and PPD have available positions right now. Try googling these companies. Also, I had came across an ad at jobstreet looking for a clinical research associate and it doesnt require previous clinical research experience. I just didnt know what company since the one who posted the ad was only a headhunter/third party. Hope this helps. :)
    Hi chinesemestizo,

I just want to ask if you are on a regular position in your clinical research company right now? :)
    Hi cruze,

I just want to ask why did you leave your previous job if you had enjoyed it? Are you working in a hospital right now? :)
  • AppleBeastAppleBeast tirador ng mansanas PExer
    :sweatdrop2:just submitted my application sa PPD sa site nila.. sana mtawagan ako.. *** Covance naguguluhan ako saa site nila, tska wala atang hiring na dito lang saa pinas :mecry:
  • Hi ms. CRA,

Yup. I'm more than one year already. You're a CRA?
    Hi chinesemestizo,

yep, Im a CRA too but in a pharmaceutical company, not a CRO. How about you? CRO?
    ms_CRA wrote: »
    Hi chinesemestizo,

yep, Im a CRA too but in a pharmaceutical company, not a CRO. How about you? CRO?

What's the difference between a CRO and CRA in terms of tasks and responsibility? May hiring ba sa companies nyo Ms. CRA at chinesemestizo? =)
    ee_ee wrote: »
    What's the difference between a CRO and CRA in terms of tasks and responsibility? May hiring ba sa companies nyo Ms. CRA at chinesemestizo? =)

Hi,
    I think you misunderstood me. CRO stands for clinical research organizations. They are third-party companies providing support for pharmaceutical companies doing clinical research. So CROs also hire CRAs to do the work for pharma companies. Our company is not hiring at the moment. But, if ever positions will open, ill inform you.. :)
  • Hi ms. CRA,

I'm a Clinical Research Assistant transitioning to the CRA role soon for a CRO. Are you a nurse too?
    Hi ms. CRA,

I'm a Clinical Research Assistant transitioning to the CRA role soon for a CRO. Are you a nurse too?

Hi,
    Yep. I'm a nurse too.. didn't want to to bedside care nursing so I explored the clinical research industry. :)
    ms_CRA wrote: »
    Hi,
    I think you misunderstood me. CRO stands for clinical research organizations. They are third-party companies providing support for pharmaceutical companies doing clinical research. So CROs also hire CRAs to do the work for pharma companies. Our company is not hiring at the moment. But, if ever positions will open, ill inform you.. :)

Akala ko CRO stands for clinical research officer. lol. my bad. anyway. thanks for clarifying! hehe. sige Ms. CRA, I'll wait for that. =D Thanks and God bless!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file