Home PEx Sports PBA

Dumremdes to play again for the PBA

Nico101Nico101 PExer
Duremdes, former MVP, gets wish
By KARLO SACAMOSJuly 26, 2011
http://www.mb.com.ph/articles/328396/duremdes-former-mvp-gets-wish

MANILA, Philippines — Powerade Tigers alternate governor Kenneth Duremdes will have the chance to rewrite the abrupt ending of his storied PBA career after getting the go-signal from the management to resume playing – even for just one game – for what could be his official exit.

Inactive since 2008, the 6-foot-3 Duremdes hopes to lace his basketball shoes anew for next season’s first conference, the All-Filipino Cup – big thanks to Powerade Governor JB Baylon.

“Last push ko na ito bago mag retire officially,” the 37-year-old Koronadal City pride said in a phone interview Tuesday. “I want to retire officially, so I’m very grateful for Powerade management.”

Duremdes’s career was suddenly put to an end three years ago when he was relegated to the reserve list. But he was later named the team’s head coach upon the prodding of the players, notably Asi Taulava.

But his coaching stint was not successful as he ended up with a losing record.

Putting the welfare of the company above his personal interest, Duremdes decided to step down and nominated longtime friend Bo Perasol to take his place.

Now, he has been given a chance to end his career on his own terms.

“At least ngayon, maganda yung feeling ko sa pag-retire, kasi walang closure dati eh,” the 1998 PBA Most Valuable Player said.

Duremdes had his glorious years while playing for Alaska Milk. He helped the team win several titles in the '90s. Still, he was shipped to Sta. Lucia.

Duremdes said he’ll give it one last shot because “nasa dugo na natin ang basketball eh. Timing na lang at stamina ang kailangan bago ako makabalik.”

“I’ll assess my performance on a game-to-game basis. Habang maganda pinapakita ko, tuloy-tuloy lang. Pag naramdaman ko na medyo hindi na, ayos na. Tanggap ko naman eh,” he added.

When he officially retires after the next conference, his career would have come full circle.

“Para nung na-draft ako ang tingin ko na magiging pakiramdam ko,” said Duremdes, who was selected third overall by Sunkist in the 1995 draft. “Fulfilled na lahat dahil nabigyan ako ng pansin kahit sa last stop ko.”

“I’m very thankful kay JB who initiated this and the whole Coca-Cola management kasi naniniwala sila na lahat ng players na nagpaganda ng PBA ay kailangan mabigyan ng magandang exit.”

Comments

• Marshall_MattersMarshall_Matters PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Good to know that.

I was confused at first when this rumor went out, akala ko gusto kumita ng pera pa.

But then again, this is his last stop nga naman, for a graceful exit.

Cheers Captain Marbel.
  • i dont know if this is a good move or not.. honestly, i feel he should stay retired and give that slot to others na lang.. he has already contributed to the sport a lot and he has achieved almost everything already (except rookie of the year which obviously he's not after anymore). as a fan of duremdes in the mid 90s, it would be pain in the eyes to watch him play again and not contribute for the good of his team.
  • KG21KG21 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Si John Arigo, di rin ba nila ireretire??asan na ba yan!
  • one last in-your-face slam for Captain Marbel.. and hopefully gawin nya yun kay Danny I, his frenemy during their glory days.
  • lawgonelawgone PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    So next conference, we will see Duremdes playing again? Is that right?
    lawgone wrote: »
    So next conference, we will see Duremdes playing again? Is that right?

With the looks of it sir, posible nga po.
  • one last in-your-face slam for Captain Marbel.. and hopefully gawin nya yun kay Danny I, his frenemy during their glory days.

With his age, malabo na yun.

Siguro matulungan lang nya ang Powerade umabante ng semis, ok na yun.
  • HEY GUYS. babalik si DUREMDES para mabigyan ng formality ang pag reretire niya sa PBA. who cares kung maka contribute siya. for sure di naman siya ibababad.
    HEY GUYS. babalik si DUREMDES para mabigyan ng formality ang pag reretire niya sa PBA. who cares kung maka contribute siya. for sure di naman siya ibababad.

Yeah. For formality's sake.

Akala ko noong una dahil gusto pang kumita ng pera.

Good to know that he'll just play to retire formally.

One of the best players the Philippines had.

I remember him the most when he was donning the Alaska jersey winning titles here and there against San Miguel. My childhood years when I began to watch the PBA.

Kudos to the Powerade management.

We will see the last of CAPTAIN MARBEL.
  • di ko masyado ma-gets. kailangan pa ba talaga ng (retirement) formality through playing? bakit hinde na lang i-annouce ang retirement then a simple ceremony (hanging of jersey if any).

anyway, goodluck and more power Kenneth.
  • Si Jawo ang sunod niyan.
  • gaLjgaLj PExer
    Si Jawo ang sunod niyan.

Finally, the long awaited comeback of Jawo :rotflmao:
  • MID3NNMID3NN PEx Rookie ⭐
    hay naku wag na po sana duremdes lipas ka na mag mumukha ka lang ***** sa gagawin mo.