Home PEx Lifestyle Visas and Immigration

J1 US visa

Hi all! i don't know if this question was raised already, sorry if na raise na. Anyway, I just need to know some information regarding J1 visa. I was recently offered by a US company to sponsor me for an internship in the US under J1 visa. As per US visa site, after the program or the internship I need to go home sa Philippines for 2 years before i apply for another visa. Mejo nagiging hesitant ako ngayon to accept the J1 visa sponsorship offer since I am planning to migrate na sa US next year. Currently, i have 10 years multiple B1/B2 visa. Is there a way i can immediately change from J1 visa to H1B or other visa so i can apply for a green card without the 2 year requirement to go back home? or impossible na yun?:confused:

TIA! *okay*

Comments

• ^^^depende if u are subject to the two-year foreign residence and physical presence requirement

wait for my next post, i will dig my through my files.... ;)
  • lechon xlechon x PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    para di ka na mahirapan, gawan mo ng short cut.

pagdating mo sa US, maghanap ka ng maasawa na US cit. problem solve :D
  • JAJA PEx Rookie ⭐
    Hi all! i don't know if this question was raised already, sorry if na raise na. Anyway, I just need to know some information regarding J1 visa. I was recently offered by a US company to sponsor me for an internship in the US under J1 visa. As per US visa site, after the program or the internship I need to go home sa Philippines for 2 years before i apply for another visa. Mejo nagiging hesitant ako ngayon to accept the J1 visa sponsorship offer since I am planning to migrate na sa US next year. Currently, i have 10 years multiple B1/B2 visa. Is there a way i can immediately change from J1 visa to H1B or other visa so i can apply for a green card without the 2 year requirement to go back home? or impossible na yun?:confused:

TIA! *okay*

Not all J visas have a 2-yr return requirement. Find out for sure before you use the visa.

If the 2-year return requirement is part of the J-1 you are thinking of accepting, the 2-yr return requirement attaches the moment you enter the US as a J-1, even if you never take the offered internship.

Even if you have the 2-yr return requirement, you can still use your visitor visa during those two years. However, the time spent in the US as a B will not count towards the two year requirement.

There is a way to go from J-1 to H-1B, but the time spent as H-1B does not count as part of the 2-years residence. Also, you cannot change from H-1B to a Permanent Resident if you still have not completed the 2-yr return requirement.

Finally, there are ways to waive the 2yr requirement, but not everyone qualifies for a waiver. There are many places on the internet you can read about those waiver.

I hope this helps reduce some of the confusion!
  • 1. What is J1 visa?

The J1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. to participate in exchange programs to promote the sharing of knowledge and skills in education, arts and sciences.

J-1 visas are of two types:

• J-1 visas that do not have a restriction known as 'Home Residency Requirement' (HRR)
    • J-1 visas that have the HRR restriction

Applicants eligible for J-1 visa are:

• Students at all academic levels
    • Trainees obtaining on-the-job training with firms,
    institutions, and agencies
    • Teachers of primary, secondary, and specialized schools
    • Professors coming to teach or do research at institutions of higher learning
    • Research scholars
    • Professional trainees in the medical and allied fields
    • International visitors coming for the purpose of travel, observation, consultation, research, training, sharing, or demonstrating specialized knowledge or skills, or participating in organized people-to-people programs
    • au pairs
    • Summer camp counselors

http://touringbuddy.com/visa-requirements-philippine-passport-holders-%E2%80%93-united-states-united-states-america/

“The whole object of travel is not to set foot on foreign land; it is at last to set foot on one’s own country as a foreign land.” – G. K. Chesterton

Visa requirements to visit other country
    http://touringbuddy.com/
  • J1 visa is a temporary working visa given to candidates listed on above post. my tita was under this J1 visa, when her contract with school expires she converted her status to b1/b2 to extend her stay here in the us. then, she tried to look for school/employer but no luck. she flew back to the Phil.

Now the economy is so bad most of the teachers hired in MD are in jeopardy. i've heard their contract will not be renewed, most of these teachers alrdy bought house and cars, now they're in the brink of losing their priced possessions due to foreclosures. They even brought their families, you can't blame these folks they just want to give or perhaps experience living in first world. now everything is messed up. they have no jobs to return to Phil i believe they gave up their jobs. where these people will turn to get by their lives.

J1 visa is now really hard to secure, if you'll get one you've to be smart how to use it and don't be deceived by your wants, or push by other "dream" that could be temporarily satisfy you but will be your regret at the end.

just my 2cents.
  • Actually, your question is easy. like what i did... . while on J1 and in US make sure to find school and enroll short course or training to get F1. F1 can be use to stay/work for 2years. if your now F1 there's no 2 years stay in home country. And can already proceed to GreenCard or any PR visa.
  • UP for this thread.

I've been searching about J-1 Visa under category of being an Au Pair. I don't have much of information, if granted with J-1 Au Pair Visa, is there a way for me to apply or get a PR or Green Card? Hope someone can help me with this. Thanks.
  • Good day!

Guys please help me. Just want to share my experience with getting a us visa. I have applied last year for tourist visa twice (August and September) and got denied because of no strong proof that I will return to the Philippines. That time I just resign to my work and started my own business. Since I got denied, I started to find a job and now i'm working as a software engineer.

This time I had another opportunity to have a training in the US. I will apply for J1 visa this time. My question is does my denied tourist visa will affect my application for J1 visa? If anyone of you had the same experience please share it to me.

Thank you!
  • Good day!

Guys please help me. Just want to share my experience with getting a us visa. I have applied last year for tourist visa twice (August and September) and got denied because of no strong proof that I will return to the Philippines. That time I just resign to my work and started my own business. Since I got denied, I started to find a job and now i'm working as a software engineer.

This time I had another opportunity to have a training in the US. I will apply for J1 visa this time. My question is does my denied tourist visa will affect my application for J1 visa? If anyone of you had the same experience please share it to me.

Thank you!
    No Walang affect pero depende sa mga ibabato sayong tanong ng consul, that was my case before i was denied for tourist visa then nag j1 ako they didnt ask about the training plan nag concentrate sila bat ako nadeny before as tourist and then na grant nila un visa ko as j1. Nasayo pa un paper na binigay nila sayo bat ka nadeny?
  • Hi pano po mag apply ng j1 visa ? Please help me. Sana my mag reply
  • Hi my j1 was denied and currently im holding us b1/b2 visa at kinancel nila ung b1/b2 visa ko 214b section.  Try ko ulit this comming april 11 any chance paba? Or mhihirapan na ako :( help i been to US for ojt last 2014 and last yr 2017 vacation for 4months