Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

16 ECCENTRIC Daw?

Have you lived with one? Have you worked for one?

Have you fell in love with one?

Are you one?

Karamihan sa mga GIFTED ARTISTS are known to be eccentric.

Writers. Inventors. Performers. Philosophers. Thinkers. Musicians. Thespians.

"Me sayad. Me katok. Quirky. Unpredictable. Demanding. Self-absorbed. Control-freak. Egotistic."

Sa kanila umiikot ang mundo!

PERO, hanep sa galing, sa talino, sa vision. Di matawaran. Di mapantayan. God’s gift to mankind.

Kaya palaging pinapagpa-sensyahan.

Next to Saints, GIFTED ARTISTS are said to be the hardest to live with as they are often MISUNDERSTOOD, or perhaps can NEVER BE UNDERSTOOD.

Albert Einstein

albert-einstein.jpg

Michael Jackson

Michael-Jackson_34.jpg

Wolgang Amadeus Mozart

mozart_f.jpg

Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar+Allan+Poe+02.jpg

Is their GIFT a curse or a blessing?

Are they demi-gods whose ways are higher than ours? Do you tolerate their ways for the sake of their contribution? Even nurture their talent? Or instead guide them to tread the path oft-taken i.e. “normalcy”?

Is their eccentricity for real or is it nothing but not act?

Comments

• faeldonfaeldon PEx Rookie ⭐
    Normal lang naman sa mga walang originality ang kumopya ng attitude sa society.

Ang mga individuals na naniniwala na they have something original to offer, nagdedeviate sa norms ng society in their pursuit sa gusto nilang gawin, kaya nababansagang eccentric.

Kung hilig ko ang mag-violin, malamang hindi kaya ng panahon ko na makipaglaro ng basketball sa kanto. Sa bawat panahong ibibigay ko sa basketball, nababawasan ang panahon ko para sa pagaaral ng violin. May risk din na mapilayan ang daliri ko at mas lalong malaking problema.

Sa ganoong sitwasyon, siyempre, pwede akong tawaging loner, baduy at kung anu-ano pa. Nae-alienate ka sa society. Hanggang aabot sa point na hindi na ako aware sa mga ibang bagay na dapat kong ikilos ayon sa itinatakda ng society at nakapagdevelop na ako ng mga sarili kong pamamaraan. Eccentric.
  • ECCENTRIC

In popular usage, eccentricity refers to unusual or odd behavior on the part of an individual.

This behavior would typically be perceived as unusual or unnecessary, without being demonstrably maladaptive.

Eccentricity is contrasted with "normal" behavior, the nearly universal means by which individuals in society solve given problems and pursue certain priorities in everyday life. People who consistently display benignly eccentric behavior are labeled as "eccentrics".

According to studies, there are 18 distinctive characteristics that differentiate a healthy eccentric person from a regular person or someone who has a mental illness (although some may not always apply). The first five are in most people regarded as eccentric:
     Nonconforming attitude
     Idealistic
     Intense curiosity
     Happy obsession with a hobby or hobbies
     Knew very early in his or her childhood they were different from others
     Highly intelligent
     Opinionated and outspoken
     Unusual living or eating habits
     Not interested in the opinions or company of others
     Mischievous sense of humor

GIFTED ARTISTS: having great special talent or ability; having exceptionally high intelligence

GENIUS: Something or someone embodying exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of unprecedented insight.

Nota Bene:

A high IQ score does not necessarily mean genius.

Today, not only have high IQ scores (140+) become used to identify children for gifted programs, but in popular parlance have become equated with genius. This is very unfortunate since the relationship between high IQ scores and genius is not always apparent. In fact, history is full of geniuses who more than likely had ordinary IQs.

Sources:

http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/genius.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccentricity_(behavior)
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Examples: Dali, Wilde.

I think it's encouragement of ego via fame and recognition or just self built (personal characteristic). For the former, when you're recognized as something significant, you tend to elevate your fixations as the norm or you're a lot confident in showing them because you are not afraid of censure. As for personality, I think it's from their trait, the reason why some are as 'brilliant' as they, because they tend to be unique or trust in their uniqueness to pursue or admonish things within them...pursuit paths that others wouldn't have gone to because they didn't have that courage.

And lastly I think it's outside of the said persons. I think the third and foremost is perception of us, audiences or patrons even critics. I think most people have exotic habits and mannerisms, and preferences, it's just that when you're in the limelight, the audience perceive it, either by adoration or negativity, to be more than what it is, whether it's truly a weird trait or just simply something common that they themselves may have.

I think we forget that the term 'fan' is short for/derive from 'fanatics'. :glee:
  • Thanks for these insights.
    faeldon wrote: »
    Ang mga individuals na naniniwala na they have something original to offer, nagdedeviate sa norms ng society in their pursuit sa gusto nilang gawin, kaya nababansagang eccentric.

I think it's encouragement of ego via fame and recognition or just self built (personal characteristic).

I think the third and foremost is perception of us, audiences or patrons even critics.

---

Perhaps, they hear the so-called beat of a different drummer. Or maybe, they’re simply ahead of their time.

At other times though, it could be that they just mastered the art of sprezzatura: making the difficult seem easy.

May mga tao kasi na parang natural lang ang galing. Halimbawa, sa klase me mga taong matataas ang scores kahit di nag-aaral. Yung iba burns the midnight candle just to come up with brilliant grades or even just to pass muster. Parang unfair no.

Pero, yung ibang magagaling, pawis at pagod din ang puhunan bago maging master sa craft nila.

The point where one reaches the status of "overnight sensation" is actually the culmination of a lifelong process and the beginning of recognition. In the hoopla, naisasantabi yung mga disiplina, self-denial or deprivations na tinahas bago narating ang hinahangad.

Ang iba naman, never had the luxury to know acclaim. Meron ding sumikat kaya lang napariwara dahil di marunong mag-handle ng fame. A case of too much, too soon.

And perhaps there are others who are beyond and above worldly concerns. Walang pakialam kung papansinin sila o hindi. For art’s sake lang talaga.

For sure, we cannot generalize these gifted artists and boxed them in the category of behaviors.

To say the least, I am quite fascinated by them and often wonder what would the world be without them?
  • Whats eccentric for others might not be eccentric for me. Everyone has his own eccentricity and the level of how different he/she is would depend on how a person perceives his/her actions.

These artists, geniuses, wont be in that pedestal if not for their strangeness and thats what makes them unique and stand out.

My ex fiance is an artist. He was the eccentric of the most eccentric. I have never experienced such strangenes in a person. But he was the one who opened my eyes in becoming an artist myself (although im not tagging myself as one really) hehe. The was he sees things are not the way a normal person sees it. Say for instance a walk in a park could make him create a sculpture and the way he would explain it would be connected with his experience while in the park, where in my opinion is way too far from my experience. :D

These people who we perceive eccentric sees things differently, and thats what I envy about them.
  • Taga-dagatTaga-dagat PEx Rookie ⭐
    Natawa na lang ako bigla. XD
  • MONTO GAWE wrote: »

Is their GIFT a curse or a blessing?

Are they demi-gods whose ways are higher than ours? Do you tolerate their ways for the sake of their contribution? Even nurture their talent? Or instead guide them to tread the path oft-taken i.e. “normalcy”?

Is their eccentricity for real or is it nothing but not act?

I don't see it as a gift. It's more of like a monster. yep, a monster. or another you. or E.T. whatever you want to call it. pero you know it's alive. the first time it awakens, patay ka. you're in deep *****. kelangan i-bestfriend mo sya, otherwise ET will eat you up.

kapag sinuwerte ka, bubulungan ka ni ET ng maraming ideas. maraming marami! tipong magsoundtrip ka lang or lumingon sa katabi mo, may ideas ka na agad para sa artwork mo! ang dali di ba? na para bang kaya mong gawin lahat! kaya siguro nababansagang "weird".

pero kapag badtrip si ET, tapos ang maliligayang araw mo. hindi ka demi-god. hindi ka special. ang pakiramdam mo isa kang maliit at mabahong tae sa isang napakalawak na banyo. kaya ang tendency mo magkulong sa kwarto--o inidoro. minsan tuloy gusto mong ma-flush ka na lang! ever wonder why a lot of artists go crazy? self-destruct? sabi ng psych, bipolar disorder lang ito. or ito na ba ang kahulagan ng eccentric?

kung anuman ito, kung sinuman si ET, sa ganitong paraan ko sya naiintindihan. kaya para hindi ma-flush sa inidoro, kelangan mong i-rechannel yung overwhelming na power ni ET. hindi mo sya pwedeng labanan, kasi kapag ginawa mo yun, para kang nakipagsuntukan sa sarili mo. so kelangang i-rechannel into something. para sa iba, ito yung tinatawag na "self-expression". para sa tumitingin, ito na siguro yung "artwork". nagdodrowing ka, nagpipinta, or nagsusulat kasi yun lang ang paraan para mabuhay ka.

fake ba ito? drama lang? siguro sa ibang nagpapanggap, oo. pero sa totoo sa kanyang sarili, hindi sya drama o arte lang dahil hindi masarap magbiro si ET.

pero hindi naman ibig sabihin nito especial na masyado ang "artist". kakaiba or gifted na. hindi ba mas-espesyal yung napupusuang maging "subject" ng artist? kasi ibig sabihin mayroong nakikitang kakaiba or maganda sa kanila ang isang artist. mga ordinaryong taong nagiging tauhan sa nobela, mga mukhang napupusuang ipinta.

disclaimer:
    ito'y sa pang-unawa ko lamang, baka iba ang karanasan ng iba.
    I don't see it as a gift. It's more of like a monster. yep, a monster. or another you. or E.T. whatever you want to call it. pero you know it's alive. the first time it awakens, patay ka. you're in deep *****. kelangan i-bestfriend mo sya, otherwise ET will eat you up.

kapag sinuwerte ka, bubulungan ka ni ET ng maraming ideas. maraming marami! tipong magsoundtrip ka lang or lumingon sa katabi mo, may ideas ka na agad para sa artwork mo! ang dali di ba? na para bang kaya mong gawin lahat! kaya siguro nababansagang "weird".

pero kapag badtrip si ET, tapos ang maliligayang araw mo. hindi ka demi-god. hindi ka special. ang pakiramdam mo isa kang maliit at mabahong tae sa isang napakalawak na banyo. kaya ang tendency mo magkulong sa kwarto--o inidoro. minsan tuloy gusto mong ma-flush ka na lang! ever wonder why a lot of artists go crazy? self-destruct? sabi ng psych, bipolar disorder lang ito. or ito na ba ang kahulagan ng eccentric?

kung anuman ito, kung sinuman si ET, sa ganitong paraan ko sya naiintindihan. kaya para hindi ma-flush sa inidoro, kelangan mong i-rechannel yung overwhelming na power ni ET. hindi mo sya pwedeng labanan, kasi kapag ginawa mo yun, para kang nakipagsuntukan sa sarili mo. so kelangang i-rechannel into something. para sa iba, ito yung tinatawag na "self-expression". para sa tumitingin, ito na siguro yung "artwork". nagdodrowing ka, nagpipinta, or nagsusulat kasi yun lang ang paraan para mabuhay ka.

fake ba ito? drama lang? siguro sa ibang nagpapanggap, oo. pero sa totoo sa kanyang sarili, hindi sya drama o arte lang dahil hindi masarap magbiro si ET.

pero hindi naman ibig sabihin nito especial na masyado ang "artist". kakaiba or gifted na. hindi ba mas-espesyal yung napupusuang maging "subject" ng artist? kasi ibig sabihin mayroong nakikitang kakaiba or maganda sa kanila ang isang artist. mga ordinaryong taong nagiging tauhan sa nobela, mga mukhang napupusuang ipinta.

disclaimer:
    ito'y sa pang-unawa ko lamang, baka iba ang karanasan ng iba.

Wow grabe far-out! Hindi ako maka-relate sa explanation.

*peace*

@TS, heto na po ang first eccentric visitor sa thread mo.
  • I don't see it as a gift. It's more of like a monster. yep, a monster. or another you.

disclaimer: ito'y sa pang-unawa ko lamang, baka iba ang karanasan ng iba.

Eccentric or not, we cope according to how we see our realities. Hopefully, this "Gollum Syndrome" will evolve into something more of a Muse who inspires. Keep creating.
    faeldon wrote: »

@TS, heto na po ang first eccentric visitor sa thread mo.

Maraming ding eccentrics na di-halata. Minsan, kausap mo na di lang alam. Meron din sigurong di KSP.

Or do they always stand out in the crowd? Let's say are Lady Gaga or Tess Prieto "true" eccentrics? Or are they just good marketing tacticians?

Is conscious choice to be different enough to be eccentric?
    Eccentric or not, we cope according to how we see our realities. Hopefully, this "Gollum Syndrome" will evolve into something more of a Muse who inspires. Keep creating.

Maraming ding eccentrics na di-halata. Minsan, kausap mo na di lang alam. Meron din sigurong di KSP.

Or do they always stand out in the crowd? Let's say are Lady Gaga or Tess Prieto "true" eccentrics? Or are they just good marketing tacticians?

Is conscious choice to be different enough to be eccentric?

Gaga and Prieto? both eccentric and marketing ek ek.

conscious choice to be different? i guess it depends on how far you're willing to push yourself. but one doesn't have to try hard to be eccentric. if it's in you, it'll show.

in my humble opinion, i feel that one has to detach herself from the thought that she's different or eccentric. otherwise, you'd be obsessed with the idea and it may potentially cloud your vision. detach yourself, so you can see/feel more objectively. then make a beautiful mess out of it.
  • thinking-man.jpg

Do they feel the need to belong? To be understood or, at least, accepted as they are?

Or are they lost in their own world? Adrift in ecstasy mere mortals can’t quite comprehend nor ever experience. Not caring at all how the world carries on with or without them.

I am neither an eccentric nor a great artist and perhaps the nearest approximation of this sense of detachment is when all my senses are latched on to something i.e. immersed in a good book or on the brink of cracking a code – that’s when I am figuratively and momentarily lost in my own little space. But it’s fleeting, like a dying ember which turns to ash the sooner one blows air towards it.

If that hypothesis is true, then it’s understandable how an eccentric would crave to stay there longer than a regular guy’s tantalizing moments. And could it be that great artists who are in some sort of slump retrieve them via other alternatives i.e. hallucinogenics? Rumors abound that they do.

I wonder and am mesmerize by a world which thankfully I am not a part of.

Solliloquy, I know. Talking to myself. But you get the drift……. ;)
  • by Vicki Santillano
    http://www.divinecaroline.com/22323/70220-habits-six-highly-eccentric-geniuses

Many of us have heard of The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People, a self-help guide to changing our actions and perceptions in order to accomplish more. Advice like “be proactive” and “synergize” is all well and good, but at the end of the day, I want to know exactly what great feats these highly effective people have achieved before I adopt their habits.

After all, was Beethoven pondering synergy when he composed some of the most beautiful classic music ever created? DaVinci was a terrible procrastinator, yet what he did finish changed the art world forever. I researched the lives of famous geniuses, hoping their daily actions would help me produce something great instead of simply producing more. But after reading about some of their oddball antics, it’s obvious that genius doesn’t come without a price—namely, mean streaks, cross-dressing, and mind-boggling weirdness.

pg-30-da-vinci-alam_159842t.jpg

1. Leonardo DaVinci
    DaVinci and I have a couple of things in common: vegetarianism and the misfortune of being both perfectionists and terrible procrastinators. However, he did manage to complete masterpieces like Mona Lisa and The Last Supper and I … didn’t. Some say DaVinci preferred taking small naps throughout the day instead of sleeping for eight hours at night. Maybe that erratic sleep cycle is why he had such trouble paying attention to projects long enough to finish them—in fact, he may be one of the earliest sufferers of attention deficit disorder.

2. Ludwig van Beethoven
    Beethoven was famous among his contemporaries for more than just his hauntingly beautiful compositions. He also had a nasty temper and often alienated his household staff. (Bear in mind he was a musician going deaf—that’s enough to make anyone grumpy.) He fought with everybody, including landlords, relatives, and friends. As a result of his temper tantrums, he had trouble keeping maids and servants because he’d often throw things at them or accuse them of stealing. Supposedly, he also wore dirty clothes and left food out to rot, which perhaps also explains why he never married.

3. Thomas Edison
    What is it about genius and a disdain for sleep? Edison was another proponent of the power nap, believing that most people sleep far too much and are unproductive as a result. (Looks like we took his advice, since most of us are in need of more sleep.) He took pleasure in people seeing him as the hardworking inventor who didn’t need something pedestrian like sleep to be exceptional. He felt similarly about eating, exercising, and spending time with his family—all of which he eschewed for working hours on end. Edison demanded that his employees generate a set amount of ideas for inventions (which he reportedly wasn’t above taking credit for) and according to the book The Creative Habit, he refused to hire research assistants if they seasoned soup before tasting it. Having them over for soup was part of his interview process.
  • by Vicki Santillano
    http://www.divinecaroline.com/22323/70220-habits-six-highly-eccentric-geniuses

George-Sand.jpg

4. George Sand
    Though Sand is considered one of the most famous French female novelists, her name doesn’t often come up when discussing famous geniuses—however, one source lists her IQ at 143. George Sand was the pen name for Aurore Dupin, a female French writer who scandalized her contemporaries with her public antics. She frequently wore men’s clothes, publicly smoked tobacco, and separated from her husband and engaged in illicit affairs. Basically, she made it clear that she didn’t care about social convention and the way women were expected to act. She had no problem shocking people with her sensational lifestyle and bawdy personality.

5. Nikola Tesla
    Like DaVinci, Tesla was a vegetarian who rarely slept. Early on in his career, his work started mid-morning and continued with few to no breaks until 5 a.m. the next day. The inventor and engineer also had strange aversions to pearls (earrings in particular were said to repulse him), overweight women, certain clothes, and human hair. What he did love were numbers divisible by three, to the point that he wouldn’t stay in a hotel room with a number that didn’t fit that guideline. He was strictly celibate and felt himself a better inventor for it, preferring the company of pigeons—he actually likened his love for one pigeon in particular (a pigeon he claimed came to his hotel room every day) to the love he’d have for another person. When she died, he felt that his ability to work died with her.

6. Bobby Fischer
    A child prodigy, Fischer took the chess world by storm at a young age and became grand master of the game at fifteen. He went on to win the world championship in 1972, but complained the whole time and was increasingly erratic and argumentative. Though he was well beyond his child years, Fischer still acted like a spoiled brat. He followed his win by living in seclusion and when he finally emerged twenty years later, his defiance of U.S. law (he went against Bush’s sanctions against Yugoslavia by playing another game there) and gross anti-Semitic remarks drew much contempt from the public. I think it’s safe to cross him off my list of geniuses to emulate.

So what can we learn from these strange figures, other than how to lose sleep, avoid touching human hair, and throw things at hired help? These geniuses have more than just eccentricities and high IQs that set them apart—they’re also fiercely dedicated, tireless workers eager to explore new ideas and ways of thinking, and they’re willing to take risks if it means achieving something worthwhile. Those are the kinds of characteristics I look for in mentors, not productivity levels. What’s the point of being highly effective if what you’re putting out isn’t extraordinary? Although maybe that’s the same thing DaVinci said when creditors were hassling him for a completed painting. And Tesla died in debt, too. Maybe I’d better look into that book after all …
  • JameauxJameaux PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Now can someone sensationalize Manny Pacquiao's eccentric personality? :lol:
  • @MONTO GAWE - I love you for these reads. :)

@jameaux - Paquiao's eccentricity is something that I really dont find appealing. Same as Aling Dionisia's eccentricity. Ohhh I forgot. It runs in the blood.

Are eccentrics aware that they are different?

Do they feel the need to belong? To be understood or, at least, accepted as they are?

Or are they lost in their own world? Adrift in ecstasy mere mortals can’t quite comprehend nor ever experience. Not caring at all how the world carries on with or without them.

I am neither an eccentric nor a great artist and perhaps the nearest approximation of this sense of detachment is when all my senses are latched on to something i.e. immersed in a good book or on the brink of cracking a code – that’s when I am figuratively and momentarily lost in my own little space. But it’s fleeting, like a dying ember which turns to ash the sooner one blows air towards it.

If that hypothesis is true, then it’s understandable how an eccentric would crave to stay there longer than a regular guy’s tantalizing moments. And could it be that great artists who are in some sort of slump retrieve them via other alternatives i.e. hallucinogenics? Rumors abound that they do.

I wonder and am mesmerize by a world which thankfully I am not a part of.

Solliloquy, I know. Talking to myself. But you get the drift……. ;)

eccentric or not, i think a person has a natural tendency to feel that she's different from others around her. how long, how frequent, and to what degree this feeling of being different affects a person, yun siguro ang pinagkaiba.

of course, there is that need to belong and to be understood. who doesn't want to be recognized for whoeverthehell she is?

lost in their own world? yup, it's something like that and for some reason this world looks so real (surreal?). we can call it reality #2.

without much effort, this world emerges and you stay there. you pass from this world (reality#1) to the other world (reality#2) and back (reality#1). perhaps this can be compared to daydreaming?

if dreaming is asleep but awake. daydreaming is awake but asleep. when you're back from reality #2, you know you're not the same you. so whothehell are you then?

maybe this is the time you start to feel that you are "different". every time these switches from reality #1 to reality#2 happen, you get that feeling that you are "different".

so what happens now? you realize there are so many YOUs: you #1, you #2, you #3, you#2.4, you#10x-5, and so on...

in a matter of days or months, so many things could happen to you. at this point you also start to notice that you now view or interpret reality#1 differently. this different view of reality#1 is the sum of your experience in reality#2 and the changes that happen to you.

this different view of reality#1, for some reason, seems to be alive. so it will manifest itself through some kind of creative output and then you start your inevitable transformation into eccentricity.

so to answer your question, yes, i think eccentrics are aware that they are different. but being "different" is a a complex state. you may be different and yet feel worthless, different and proud, different but efficient, etc... so many degrees of being eccentric. perhaps as many as the kibbles your fat cat imagines when it dreams. 8)
    Bigla kong naalala yung scene sa "I Am Sam" na pinatutugtog yung "I'm Looking Through You" ng The Beatles.
  • faeldon wrote: »
    Bigla kong naalala yung scene sa "I Am Sam" na pinatutugtog yung "I'm Looking Through You" ng The Beatles.

Thanks for the tip. Still have to see I am Sam.

Couldn't find a good copy of that clip you've mentioned.

However, I found 3 clips that have something to do with the topic:

I AM SAM - BLACK BIRD
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/v/9OOrQ5A1JJ8[/video]

DONNIE DARKO - MAD WORLD
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/v/DR91Rj1ZN1M[/video]

AMELIE
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/v/8G7CkdZoEK4[/video]
  • I thought of The Science of Sleep. :)

376585.1020.A.jpg