The Smoking Ban

PyrosPyros Faith Under Fire PExer
I don't smoke, never have to. I don't really think about the ban too much because it's just doesn't affect me directly. Like the RH Bill, I won't be needing those contraceptives anyway (as if RH Bill is all about contraceptives).

However, should I worry of another involvement of the government in controlling everyone's life?

Comments

• newbiebabynewbiebaby Member PExer
    Pyros wrote: »
    I don't smoke, never have to. I don't really think about the ban too much because it's just doesn't affect me directly. Like the RH Bill, I won't be needing those contraceptives anyway (as if RH Bill is all about contraceptives).

However, should I worry of another involvement of the government in controlling everyone's life?

I don't see this bill as an act of 'controlling' by the government.

We all haver rights and we are entitled to enjoy them, provided that by exercising such, no one should be prejudiced. If one smoke in public, passive smokers' health becomes at stake. This is the very reason why government should step in to ensure that no one will infringe the right of another. Weiging both rights: MY RIGHT TO BURN MY LUNGS (smoker)vs. MY RIGHT TO FRESH AIR (public), the passage of the bill will harmonize both rights.

To the sunog bagas out there, go ahead and burn YOUR lungs, fine with that. But the government is mandated to protect the welfare of the public. And this bill, if passed into law, will benefit those who chose to be a health-buff.

Everybody happy :D
  • joma_sjoma_s HellBoundHeretic® PExer
    newbiebaby wrote: »
    But the government is mandated to protect the welfare of the public. And this bill, if passed into law, will benefit those who chose to be a health-buff.

Everybody happy :D
    Why they dont stop the plantation and production of tobacco products if it is to protect the public?

The government is mandated to protect the interest of vice-makers as well (nicotine tobacco gambling prostitution) for as long as they pay the right taxes.
  • rikombyorikombyo Preux Chevalier PExer
    joma_s wrote: »
    Why they dont stop the plantation and production of tobacco products if it is to protect the public?

The government is mandated to protect the interest of vice-makers as well (nicotine tobacco gambling prostitution) for as long as they pay the right taxes.

Um. Did you just answer your own question?

And yes, that is correct, purveyors of vice are members of John Q. Public, so their business interests are protected by law, as long as those businesses are legal. (So scratch prostitution off the list. Gambling is a whole other beast, as there's legal gambling and illegal gambling to tackle.)

Plus, you know, in the absence of political will, VICE LOBBIES = BIG MONEY = PROTECTION. :glee:
  • banimalekbanimalek Bangsamoro PExer
    Buti pa pala ako since teenager ako hanggang ngayon ay hindi ako naninigarilyo, tama lang na ipagbawal iyan kasi nakakasukal sa sikmura na maamoy mo ang mga taong nagsisigarilyo at dapat unang magpakita ng sampol ang pangulo natin.
  • newbiebabynewbiebaby Member PExer

There are so many reasons why they cannot just ban them entirely.

1. PNOY is a smoker.
    2. Most lawmakers are smokers.
    3. Government gain a lot from them through 'sin taxes'.
    4. Doing so will mean firing all the employees of the plantation.
    5. smoking is not illegal per se, its just dangerous to health.
    6. smokers have rights too.

hmmm, what else?
  • BergKaiserBergKaiser I got no free time..jeez! PExer
    hmm...well, I don't smoke too, so this is nice...

I really don't have anything against smokers (burn your lungs for all I care*peace*)...but they should just keep it to themselves...the smoke, the addiction, the 'coolness' ~kuno~, the cancer, the vitamin reduction, and all that whatnot...after all, THEY paid for it...:D

And they should REALLY focus on PUV's ...anybody who smokes inside a PUV deserves a sock in the face...or a night in the slammer:hmm:
  • SmartDessaSmartDessa Things divide;Christ unites PExer

yeah, and also the fast food chains that makes people deadly fat and unhealthy.
  • PyrosPyros Faith Under Fire PExer
    ...And this bill, if passed into law, will benefit those who chose to be a health-buff.

It's not a bill, already a law passed in 2003 (R.A. 9211). Will take effect on Monday (June 6) daw...whew :rolleyes:
  • vincexvincex Member PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    SmartDessa wrote: »
    yeah, and also the fast food chains that makes people deadly fat and unhealthy.

Fast food per se isn't unhealthy, but the poor selections and volume of consumption of the consumer. Thus contributing further to whatever lifestyle sins they are committing.
  • TitanOneTitanOne '[titan]ONE Big Fight' PExer
    Smoking is technically a vice right?

Why is it that you see a few priests here and there who actually smoke.. Heck even ministers in the righteous organizations..

So what's the deal, really?
  • Zeitgeist699Zeitgeist699 Realist PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ok na yan, sana ganyan palagi. at sang-ayon ako na patungan ng malaking sin tax sa cigarillo. para hindi na ako makakayosi forever.
  • Zeitgeist699Zeitgeist699 Realist PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Pyros wrote: »

tsong, ang problema kasi dyan ay yung second-hand smoke. i mean, ok lang sakin kung umutot ka ng umutot, karapatan mo ang umutot. hwag mo lang palanghapin ang utot mo sakin. lolz! eh mas lalo na kaya kung yosi, kasi mas masama pa sa kalusugan ang second at 3rd-hand smoke kaysa sa yung mga nagyoyosi talaga. so yes, pabor ako sa no smoking in public places.
  • csco80csco80 Member PExer
    I also support the anti-smoking bill. I rode in an aircon bus in the philippines years ago, night time, I was so mad when that stvpid driver was smoking inside the aircon bus. I can't believe that driver did not know what he was doing to his passengers, letting them breath cigarette smoke while they were sleeping. Millions are spent for cancer meds, COPD meds, atherosclerosis meds secondary to smoking. The gov't has the right to protect bystanders who do not smoke from these health problems.
  • ascorbicacid31ascorbicacid31 Deep Thought PExer
    I don't support the banning of smoking. Smokers should be encouraged more so that they will stop smoking entirely.

Smoke by itself is repugnant. Smokers and non-smokers are repulsed by smoke.

It is not the smoke that kills.
    It is the nicotine that kills.

The nicotine is the addictive substance.
    The smoke is the repulsive substance.

Combine nicotine and smoke, the mind is rewired to accept the smoke which happens to be repugnant to be a pleasant, relaxing, and soothing experience.

The key to remove addiction is to remove nicotine in the cigarettes.
    The more the smoker is encouraged to smoke, the more he will be repulsed by the smoke.

He will naturally quit because the smoke he inhales is the same smoke as burning paper.

The nicotine ban in cigarettes is the key, not the smoke.
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    There are so many reasons why they cannot just ban them entirely.

1. PNOY is a smoker.
    2. Most lawmakers are smokers.
    3. Government gain a lot from them through 'sin taxes'.
    4. Doing so will mean firing all the employees of the plantation.
    5. smoking is not illegal per se, its just dangerous to health.
    6. smokers have rights too.

hmmm, what else?

In Canada, or at least in BC, prostitutes are given cellphones by the government. (just in case a client puts her in a dangerous situation she can call 911) Druggies are given free syringes to prevent the spread of HIV. The CRA encourages criminals to file income taxes and tells us the advantages that come with it. It gives off the impression that they don't give a sht where your money comes from as long as you pay your taxes. That's the problem of the police.

Smokers get no such benefits and cigarettes costs as much as $10 per pack. Cigarette makes are not allowed to advertise or sponsor events. They are sold but the merchandise is hidden inside a cabinet or behind a curtain. Importation of it is prohibited. The cigarette pack will scare you because it has really disgusting pictures of diseased lungs, heart, teeth and other organs and a small literature enumerating what diseases it causes.

Drinkers get a raw deal too. One bottle of beer is enough for your driver's license to get suspended and your car to be impounded for months. And you can't over-serve a person with alcohol unless you know he won't drive. A big problem for bar owners.
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer
    I don't support the banning of smoking. Smokers should be encouraged more so that they will stop smoking entirely.

Smoke by itself is repugnant. Smokers and non-smokers are repulsed by smoke.

It is not the smoke that kills.
    It is the nicotine that kills.

The nicotine is the addictive substance.
    The smoke is the repulsive substance.

Combine nicotine and smoke, the mind is rewired to accept the smoke which happens to be repugnant to be a pleasant, relaxing, and soothing experience.

The key to remove addiction is to remove nicotine in the cigarettes.
    The more the smoker is encouraged to smoke, the more he will be repulsed by the smoke.

He will naturally quit because the smoke he inhales is the same smoke as burning paper.

The nicotine ban in cigarettes is the key, not the smoke.

The gov't should encourage people to smoke papaya leaves, and it smells like marijuana too!:lol:
  • ascorbicacid31ascorbicacid31 Deep Thought PExer
    tonton wrote: »
    The gov't should encourage people to smoke papaya leaves, and it smells like marijuana too!:lol:

This cracked me up! :lol:
  • TitanOneTitanOne '[titan]ONE Big Fight' PExer
    tonton wrote: »

article-0-09C253F2000005DC-732_634x424.jpg

:rolleyes::naughty::hmm:;):p
  • electro_gestapoelectro_gestapo Here's sunshine up your 【ツ】 PExer
    We should be used to this [email protected] by now. QC is a "smoke-free" city right? It lasted a good..6 months? Then after that it's back to the way it used to. Just the same ningas-cogon over and over again, rinse and repeat.

So far, all this issue has given is the chance for anti-smoking "enthusiasts" to air their grievances in forums such as this. And the opportunity to treat smokers like second-class citizens.:smokin:

And if you should know, even developed countries like HK can't ban smoking entirely. They do have smoking bans, but only on selected areas like parks and playgrounds. The rest are just "no throwing of cigarette butts or pay a minimum of 1500 HKD" areas. You can smoke anywhere that has a trashcan with an open ashtray on top. There are even dedicated street ashtrays in some places. I smoke in those places even if I'm right beside am HK police officer, no problem at all. And if you can't handle second-hand smoke, don't pass there. If you smelled it, it's your fault.
  • quick_benquick_ben Primus Pullus PEx Rookie ⭐
    I'm always kind to smokers.... we should all be kind to smokers.

Someday they'll die a horrible lingering slow death, while they suck away the life savings of their loved ones who are trying to extend their lives for just a little while.

I just wish they learn not to try to take some of us with them by blowing their smoke in our faces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file