COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

If Man discovered Immortality Would Religion Become Obsolete?

crocopiecrocopie Luis Suarez No. 7 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
What do you think?

I think Freud or someone believes religion and the concept of afterlife was created so that people would not become afraid of death. Maybe so, but traditional Judaism does not believe in the afterlife. That is why there was a class of intellectuals called Sadducees whom Jesus had contended with.

Anyway, what do you think?

Comments

• kos_moskos_mos Thus I am Convinced PExer
    crocopie wrote: »
    What do you think?

I think Freud or someone believes religion and the concept of afterlife was created so that people would not become afraid of death. Maybe so, but traditional Judaism does not believe in the afterlife. That is why there was a class of intellectuals called Sadducees whom Jesus had contended with.

Try and try until you succeed. Forgive me for copy-pasting, but I can't find an answer better than these verses:

"Wheresoever ye may be, death will overtake you, even though ye were in lofty towers.." [An-Nisa' 4:78]

"Every soul will taste of death. And ye will be paid on the Day of Resurrection only that which ye have fairly earned." [Al-Imran 3:185]

"Every soul must taste of death, and We try you with evil and with good, for ordeal. And unto Us ye will be returned." [Al-Anbiya' 21:35]

"Every soul will taste of death. Then unto Us ye will be returned." [Al-Ankabut 29:57]

And God Almighty knows best.

But do I believe man will become one day immortal? Why yes!
  • joma_sjoma_s HellBoundHeretic® PExer
    What do you think?

To some people, religion is obsolete already, afterlife or none.
  • newbiebabynewbiebaby Member PExer
    What do you think?

how can immortality be discovered? through some kind of drug who will make you immune from all sickness and pain? or we'll go to neverland with peter pan and there we will never grow old? or maybe be bitten by a (handsome) vampire? Another hypothetical scenario again.

But anyway, just to answer your 'what-if' question, i don't think that religion/belief in God will become obsolete. The promise of eternal life is not the sole reason why believers believe. Personally, i first known God because of his love and power until I eventually learned of his promise for eternal life. When I was little, I knew I loved God because of His unconditional love, but not really aware of life after death, or maybe I just did not pay much attention to it.

Besides, the promise for life after death is for people to endure trials and persecution here on earth. To live in this human state forever is a scary thought. To be immortal in this human form does not erase the pain and sufferings, we just don't die. I'd rather have a taste of physical death but my spirit will live forever in heaven than not to die at all and be stuck with this human life forever.
  • ManchesterCityFCManchesterCityFC Banned by Admin PExer
    newbiebaby wrote: »
    how can immortality be discovered? through some kind of drug who will make you immune from all sickness and pain? or we'll go to neverland with peter pan and there we will never grow old? or maybe be bitten by a (handsome) vampire? Another hypothetical scenario again.

But anyway, just to answer your 'what-if' question, i don't think that religion/belief in God will become obsolete. The promise of eternal life is not the sole reason why believers believe. Personally, i first known God because of his love and power until I eventually learned of his promise for eternal life. When I was little, I knew I loved God because of His unconditional love, but not really aware of life after death, or maybe I just did not pay much attention to it.

Besides, the promise for life after death is for people to endure trials and persecution here on earth. To live in this human state forever is a scary thought. To be immortal in this human form does not erase the pain and sufferings, we just don't die. I'd rather have a taste of physical death but my spirit will live forever in heaven than not to die at all and be stuck with this human life forever.
    God loves you because no one else does.
  • ElCidElCid Roman Catholic PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Magkakaroon ng 'immortality' pag dating ng araw. Pero para sa mga tao na wala sa Dios walang silbi ang immortality. Life would be boring since everyday would be more of the same. Sa boredom ng mga ganitong tao baka sila na mismo magpakamatay. And in the end times ganun nga mangyayari.

Revelation 9:6
    During those days people will seek death but will not find it; they will long to die, but death will elude them.
    God loves you because no one else does.

you don't know me nor the people around me.

and don't be jealous, He loves you too :love::D
  • ender_1111ender_1111 playa PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

IF you take away the promise of paradise or the fear of eternal damnation what else would most religion use to attract followers? God's Unconditional Love? I don't think so...
  • tontontonton Let's stop and talk awhile. PExer

and don't be jealous, He loves you too :love::D

How do you know?
    ender_1111 wrote: »
    IF you take away the promise of paradise or the fear of eternal damnation what else would most religion use to attract followers? God's Unconditional Love? I don't think so...

Before anything else, let me emphasize that the absence of heaven and hell is just a mere what-if scenario and should not be confused with reality. (as far as we are concerned)

I speak for myself. If I list down reasons why I love God and believe in Him, heaven is just one of them. Ask believers why they believe in God, take away heaven in the list, and there you have it, reasons why they still believe in God eventhough heaven and hell do not exist.

tonton wrote: »
    How do you know?

There are so many passages in the Bible that say so:

to name a few:

Your love, LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Psalm 36:5

I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. John 15:9

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
    Before anything else, let me emphasize that the absence of heaven and hell is just a mere what-if scenario and should not be confused with reality. (as far as we are concerned)

Yes, as far as the believers are concern who have a different reality to the unbelievers.
    I speak for myself. If I list down reasons why I love God and believe in Him, heaven is just one of them. Ask believers why they believe in God, take away heaven in the list, and there you have it, reasons why they still believe in God eventhough heaven and hell do not exist.

Can you site even one?

Bro hindi lang naman yan ang attraction ng followers ng religion. People do actualize themselves in religion. They become who they are supposed to be. In some other religions like buddhism - they just want release from the cycle of birth, disease, old age and death - no heaven nor hell diyan. Sa amin namang mga Cristiano, it's not just eternal paradise nor damnation but moreso enjoying the presence of God for all eternity. Imagine being in the presence of such a mighty being. Overwhelming na nga pag nameet mo presidente ng Pilipinas, pano pa pag Dios ang nakasama mo sa habang panahon?
    ^^
    That's what I'm trying to say brother. In Christianity without the promise of reward or punishment. What reason do you have still of being a christian..
    Yes, as far as the believers are concern who have a different reality to the unbelievers.

Can you site even one?

He blesses me.
    ^^
    That's what I'm trying to say brother. In Christianity without the promise of reward or punishment. What reason do you have still of being a christian..

that is the obvious motive of this thread. its a bait. But its a misconception, christians love God not just because of heaven.
    He blesses me. .

As I said reward...
    ^^

Doing good and doing what you ought to do is its own reward bro. Bonus na lang yung langit :P
    As I said reward...

I thought the topic of this thread is heaven as a form of reward?

Why correlate it with blessings?
    ^^^^
    Parang mas creeed ata yan ng mga atheist and agonostic,

Doing good and doing what you ought to do is its own reward bro. Kahit walang langit (Diyos).
  • aislinnaislinn la conqu?te de la princess PExer

Can you site even one?

Just for the fact that I found my own sense of purpose by having a personal relationship with God.

That's my own personal reason. _3DYWan5SZslWbz9ycllGbp12cvMXZnFWbp9yctVncvZ2Lt92YuU2ZuFGajhXZ59mbpBnL3d3dv8iOc1
    I thought the topic of this thread is heaven as a form of reward?

Why correlate it with blessings?

Aren't blessings rewards also?
    Ang layo na natin sa topic...

Sorry TS...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file