Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Are you a pageant expert? Join the PEx Miss Universe Quiz Night on May 16!

Looking for book recommendations

I don't want to spend another boring summer so I thought I'd challenge myself. My goal is to finish a book every two weeks until the summer is over. I figured it'd help me stay productive and expand my horizons. I'm looking for books in the vein of what Nick Hornsby and David Sedaris writes. I'm not really a huge fan of fiction, except for Harry Potter and LOTR, but I'm willing to branch out. I also read graphic novels, although I might have a hard time acquiring whatever you guys will recommend because they're so expensive.

Comments

• mga agos sa disyerto - 250+ sa NBS
  • pa recommend rin naman ako ng good dragon books (ayoko ng eragon),... tsaka mga YOUNG ADULT- no vampires please! thank you..fantasy and fiction sana, yung medyo detective works na parang lemony snicket o kaya kakaibang concept like harry potter.

if you want to search for books, i recommend you register at http://www.goodreads.com/. marami akong nadiscover na books dyan.
  • 35 views but only 2 posts?! :lol:
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    From graphic novels eh di try mo Neil Gaiman novels. You have read the Sandman series of graphic novels right? Try American Gods for starters.
    pa recommend rin naman ako ng good dragon books (ayoko ng eragon),... tsaka mga YOUNG ADULT- no vampires please! thank you..fantasy and fiction sana, yung medyo detective works na parang lemony snicket o kaya kakaibang concept like harry potter.

if you want to search for books, i recommend you register at http://www.goodreads.com/. marami akong nadiscover na books dyan.

Try the only novel from John Grisham that's for the young adult genre. Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer
  • cyberfunk wrote: »
    From graphic novels eh di try mo Neil Gaiman novels. You have read the Sandman series of graphic novels right? Try American Gods for starters.

Will look for American Gods. Nabasa ko na Seasons of Mist from the Sandman series.
  • anima9anima9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Skip the novels. I'll feel sorry for the author whose novels were finished in merely two weeks. It just won't show how much you appreciate the book and the story it tells you.
  • Maganda yung American Gods. *okay*
  • I'm not crazy over Gaiman, thought American Gods was ok, but Neverwhere kinda hits the spot really well, and it's the parallel universe type more in tune with LOTR or HP so I suggest you start there.
    Will look for American Gods. Nabasa ko na Seasons of Mist from the Sandman series.

Ohh.. You should have started with preludes and nocturns with the sandman series.. If you can't find American Gods then Good Omens will do too. I only recommended Gaiman to you because you said you where into Graphic novels. It seems you're into the Potter Series too so a bit of the Juvenile genre is for you too. Almost every best selling author already came out with their own young adult themes. Graveyard book and Interworld from Gaiman, Maximum Ride series from James Patterson and The Artemis Fowl series from Eoin Colfer
  • Would you consider reading books by Filipino authors? We have loads of great writers with published books on various topics. I can recommend some if you like.
  • honeymoon with my brother by franz wizner is a good summer read; it's like going on a memorable journey and learning more about yourself together with your brother.
  • Would you consider reading books by Filipino authors? We have loads of great writers with published books on various topics. I can recommend some if you like.

Why not? Fire away!
  • nosferatujoenosferatujoe PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    infinite jest by david foster wallace
  • Svetlana_CuveeSvetlana_Cuvee PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Ayn Rand books.:love:
  • ricinricin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Novels of Chuck Palahniuk.
    He's a great author and I guess you'll enjoy his works. :)
  • Ayn Rand books.:love:
    ricin wrote: »

Which book from these two should I begin with?

Thanks to all the posters in this thread *okay*
  • ricin wrote: »

great indeed! TS, maybe you've seen Fight Club the movie from his debut novel, still considered by many his best followed by Survivor and Choke. I've sampled them 3 plus Rant. For starters try Survivor or Fight Club. Avoid his later works like Pygmy, Snuff, Tell-All, Diary.
  • Svetlana_CuveeSvetlana_Cuvee PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

The Fountainhead.:love:
  • ricinricin PEx Veteran ⭐⭐

Fight Club. *okay*