FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

what's with our "PALAYAW"?? nakakatuwa o nakakahiya?!

mekkemekke Banned by Admin PExer
this is an observation by a british journalist of BBC.

Playful Filipino names hard to get used to
By Kate McGeown
BBC News, Manila

Bizarre and often unflattering names are as quintessentially Filipino as the country's Catholic faith, friendly smiles, former US military jeeps known as jeepneys, beautiful beaches and love of karaoke.

On my first day in Manila, I walked down to the local cafe and was served by a smiling young girl who wore a name badge entitled BumBum.

I did a double-take, then smiled back, deciding it was probably a joke.

But if so, it is a joke that practically the whole country seems to be in on.

Since then I've met a Bambi, three Bogies, several Girlies, a Peanut, a Barbie and a middle-aged man called Babe.

These names are found in all sectors of society.

Sometimes they are nicknames, sometimes genuine first names - but they are always what people are referred to on a day-to-day basis.

Even the president is not spared. His real name is Benigno Aquino, but almost everyone here calls him Noynoy.

Two of his sisters are called Pinky and Ballsy. No-one seems to see the need to ask why.
Why would you call your children after the days of the week or your favourite desserts?

Neither does anyone question the integrity of Joker Arroyo, one of the country's most respected senators.

That is his real first name. Apparently he got it because of his father's fondness for playing cards.

Joker's brother is called Jack.

And it seems perfectly natural to Filipinos that the boxer Manny Paquiao should express his love for the British royal family by naming his daughter Queen Elizabeth.

Lost in translation?

So why do Filipinos have such odd, even risque, names?

This is not a translation issue, as most people speak English well, or well enough to know that BumBum, for example, is not exactly on the rest of the Anglophile world's list of popular baby names.

Filipino motorcyclist Gilbert gave his stunt dog a common moniker - Bogie
I rather tentatively brought the subject up at a dinner party full of lawyers, academics and business people.

Many of them were surprised - they had simply never thought of these names as having any kind of negative connotation.

But once we started discussing it, they did agree that, to outsiders at least, it all might sound a bit strange. Soon a heated debate began.

Perhaps it was because of the propensity of Filipinos to have large, tight-knit families, some of them said.

A man called Babe or Honey Boy, for instance, is probably the youngest member of that generation in the family.

It suited him when he was two years old - now he is a slightly overweight businessman in his 50s, why change it?

But nicknames are not always given when people are young.

The former president Joseph Estrada is more commonly known as Erap - a name he acquired in his 20s.

When spelt backwards, Erap becomes Pare, which means mate or buddy in the national language Tagalog.

Other guests thought that nicknames came about because of a need for individuality.

When I'm introduced to a Dinky or a Dunce, or read about people called Bing and Bong, it seems almost normal

People here often have the same Christian name as their parents.

Former Congressman Ace Barbers, who, like Joker Arroyo, obviously had a card-player in the family, has the Christian name Robert, but so do his father and all his brothers.

He clearly has not found it a problem as he named his four sons Robert too. Nicknames must be essential in their house.

'Melting pot'

The conversation soon turned to the fact that the Philippines is a melting pot of different cultures, and perhaps that is what led to these strange names.

President Benigno Aquino, is also known as Noynoy
The president himself is a good example. His full Christian name is Benigno Simeon Cojuangco, names which are Spanish, Hebrew and Chinese respectively. His nickname Noynoy is the only part that is truly Filipino.

A well-used adage here is that the Philippines spent 400 years in a convent then 50 years in Hollywood, referring to Spanish then American colonial rule.

The Spanish introduced the concept of surnames - in fact they issued a decree in 1849 that everyone had to have a surname.

So even today, most surnames are Spanish.

But the main thing Spain gave to the Philippines was Catholicism, and with it, tens of thousands of newly-christened Marias and Joses.

With the Americans came names like Butch, Buffy and Junior - and the propensity to shorten everything if at all possible.

Perhaps it is the combination of these two influences which has led to names like Jejomar - short for Jesus Joseph Mary.

The current vice president is called Jejomar Binay.

I think it is great that BumBum can wear her name badge with pride

Even the large Chinese community here has not escaped this national name game.

Their surnames are often a form of Anglicised Chinese, but sometimes the Philippine penchant for fun shines through.

I have heard of a Van Go, a John F Kenneth Dee and an Ivan Ho.
But there are some names that just defy explanation.

Why would you call your children after the days of the week or your favourite desserts? To many Filipinos, a better question to ask is: "Why wouldn't you?"

I have been living here for a while now, and I have got used to all these names.

When I'm introduced to a Dinky or a Dunce, or read about people called Bing and Bong, it seems almost normal.

In fact, if anything, I rather like the fact that Filipinos are self-assured enough to use these names, no matter how odd they sound or how senior the person's public role.

But my assimilation is not quite complete.

While I think it is great that BumBum can wear her name badge with pride, I'm not quite ready to adopt a Philippine nickname myself just yet.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/9435751.stm

ikaw ano palayaw mo??? ikinakatuwa mo ba? o ikinakahiya mo??:confused:

Comments

• KersenKersen i♥pinacolada PExer
    ang kulit siguro kung mek-mek palayaw mo :glee:

wala pa rin tatalo sa buknoy na palayaw para sa akin :glee::lol:
  • Bigot3AtBalbasBigot3AtBalbas Kiss me and I'll be PExer
    I'm the tito boy in the family :glee:
  • KersenKersen i♥pinacolada PExer
    hey hey tito boy :glee:
  • tito boy asan na yung iyong magic mirror?
  • spygrlCAspygrlCA Member PExer
    nick name ko eh tinna pero tawag din sa akin eh tin, na, or tinapay. :)
  • Alpha_GreenAlpha_Green raise ur bloody standards ✭✭✭
    Ang nakakainis lang sa iba, pag initials ng first names nila yung palayaw nila, ginagawa pang isang name ulit.

For example:

R.J. = ginagawang Arjay
    R.V. = Arbee
    T.J. = Teejay
    J.R. (or kung junior sila) = Jay-Ar
    M.J. = Emjay
    M.M. = Em-em

Pero sayang, di pa nameet nung author si former PBA Player "Olsen Racela". Olsen ang pangalan kasi All Saints day pinanganak. :glee:
  • threepeatthreepeat Member PExer
    mekke wrote: »
    this is an observation by a british journalist of BBC.

Playful Filipino names hard to get used to
    By Kate McGeown
    BBC News, Manila

Bizarre and often unflattering names are as quintessentially Filipino as the country's Catholic faith, friendly smiles, former US military jeeps known as jeepneys, beautiful beaches and love of karaoke.

May nagka-karaoke pa ba? Parang lahat videoke na. :)
  • Trixie_282Trixie_282 Everywhere I am PExer
    Ang anak ng pinsan ko, ang nickname BJ. May kapitbahay kaming batang babae ang tawag nila PAM-PAM.
  • birdy90birdy90 Member PExer
    o ayan pala eh...

absurd nicknaming habit = exclusively Pinoy

saka kayo nagrereklamo na walang identity ang mga Pinoy kumpara sa mga kapareho nating Asian???

:glee:
  • TTLTTL train hard, fight easy. ✭✭✭
    Ang nakakainis lang sa iba, pag initials ng first names nila yung palayaw nila, ginagawa pang isang name ulit.

For example:

R.J. = ginagawang Arjay
    R.V. = Arbee
    T.J. = Teejay
    J.R. (or kung junior sila) = Jay-Ar
    M.J. = Emjay
    M.M. = Em-em

Pero sayang, di pa nameet nung author si former PBA Player "Olsen Racela". Olsen ang pangalan kasi All Saints day pinanganak. :glee:

mas nakakainis yung dinagdagan pa ng "H". :lol:

R.J. = Ahrjhay
    R.V. = Ahrbhee
    T.J. = Theejhay
    J.R. = Jhay-Ahr
    M.J. = Ehmjhay
    M.M. = Ehm-ehm

kainis di ba? :lol:
  • Max_BuwayaMax_Buwaya Member ✭✭✭

Sama mo na yung utol nyang si Nash na National Heroes Day pinanganak at Wally-- "wala lang" daw.
  • razzer_risingrazzer_rising Please do not use prohibited words in your user title to avoid sanctions. ✭✭✭
    hmm i remember watching E! sexiest men in the world. dingdong dantes was number 3 and the "critics" were laughing because of his name. first nagtaka ako pero gosh then napagisip isip ko ding dong is slang for penis pala. :glee:
  • mekkemekke Banned by Admin PExer
    in one of the corporate bldgs in Ayala i was with my friends from Hawaii, we were waiting for the elevator and we are eyeing this cute guy na yuppie, kuntodo porma, ang guwapo!... and then suddenly from out of nowhere may tumawag sa kanya,,, "uy potpot! kumain ka na??!, sabay na tayo...", and he just smiled.., yun pala nalaman namin yun ang palayaw nya!.. and we were like.. "uhhmm..seriously?, potpot is your nikcname?..." and he shyly said "yup.."

juice ko:eek:... anu yun? super T.O....:lol:
  • Mackie1Mackie1 Banned by Admin PExer
    I know some people from previous work

Balot
    Joke
    Maymay
    Pokie Calaquian
    Buboy

talagang ginagaming nila even sa corporate emails, for me doesnt seem professional
  • the_bonfire2.0the_bonfire2.0 YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! PExer
    Akin Tong Tong.
  • NeoDynNeoDyn proud-to-be-real ✭✭✭
    tawag sa akin ay nene,nung may kasama kami sa bahay galing Ilo-ilo,tawag nya sa akin nine..tapos si mister nenye..yung kuya ko nun buyoy,tawag naman nya nun sa akin lele.
  • greenandpinkgreenandpink I ✭✭✭
    I have a classmate then in HS whose name is vanessa but we call her vaneknek or neknek for short. :lol:
  • Jewel3Jewel3 Amas♥Veritas PExer
    Boy!
    sya ba boy?
    ikaw ba boy?
  • laarnie05laarnie05 wala lang PExer
    hehe, tawag sa kin ng papa ko noon, donya baleleng. hanggang naging donya na lang, minsan baleleng.depende.

tatay ko lang tumatawag ng gnun sa kin. ewan, pero kakaiba mga palayaw namin sa bahay. kaya dati pag tumatawag mga classmates ko sa bahay, nahihiya ako pag papa ko nakasagot. kasi sasabihin pa talaga ng tatay ko, "ah si Donya, ba hinahanap mo?" kaya minsan sa school na-asar nila ko.

pero minsan me tumawag ng Donya sa daan sa may palengke, lingon naman ako. yun pala yung ale na ma-alahas ang tinatawag.:)

kapatid ko, batsoy ang nickname, (hehe, noong bata kasi kami mataba siya. pero di na naman mataba kapatid ko ngayon mas mataba pa ako sa kanya ngayon.)
    minsan nawawala sa isip ko na nasa labas kami ng bahay at dapat real name ang itawag ko sa kanya,pero nasisigaw ko pa din, Batsoy. tawag ng tita ko sa kapatid kung yun naman eh BeTLay, so batsoy and betlay nickname nia at meron pa, multong batsoy. si papa, Multo ang tawag sa kapatid kong yun. pag nang-aasar, buong palayaw nag itatawag na papa ko, Multong Batsoy itatawag niya.

:)
  • purpleheadd07purpleheadd07 Babae po ako ✭✭
    may kilala akong Corky ang nickname niya. makurikong daw kasi siya nung bata siya. :glee:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file