COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

Do you do the SIGN OF THE CROSS when you pass by in front of a church?

desiredesire Tainted Thoughts PExer
I've noticed that some people do the sign of the cross whenever they pass by in front of a church without actually going inside the church.

So, do you do it? Why and why not? If yes, what's its significance to you?

Comments

• angel08angel08 Member PExer
    well accdg. to my teacher in high school it's a sign of respect to the place that's why some ppl do it.
  • Sta|kerSta|ker Iron Chef Gourmet Sandwich PExer
    Nope.. I don't, though it is a sign of respect, what good in return can it bring?(I don't mean that in an atheistic way)
  • simplyme8simplyme8 Great! PExer
    :p yah i sometimes do that... for me... its giving respect to the image of the lord.
  • red_door8red_door8 PExer PExer
    Not always although I know that making a sign of the Cross when passing by the House of God is a sign of respect. But... we are the pillars that makes our Church to be stronger. Being one of the strong pillars would already mean a lot to Him.
  • QuentinQuentin Montejo PExer
    perhaps it simply means, "going the extra mile" with regards to respect.
  • TessariaTessaria Fan Forum's Finest PExer
    This is funny. Really.

Catholics should make the sign of the cross when passing churches, not just out of respect for the church, but out of respect for the tabernacle that they are passing by. Remember, the tabernacle is the box where the consecrated host is kept. This means that the consecrated host is the body of Christ (due to transubstantiation). Thus, it is out of respect to Christ that we kneel in front of the tabernacle when we come to church (if the little lamp/light is on, because it means that the host is inside). And by extension, out of respect to Christ that we make the sign of the cross when we pass by churches.

Of course, if youre not Catholic, dont bother debating this point. Its a question that I answered, and is based on doctrine :)
  • aphraelaphrael iM a littLe TeApOT PExer
    nope... why???.... i'm not catholic...:rolleyes:
  • chicken_asschicken_ass P"wet ng Manok PExer
    Before!!!!! Pero ngayon hindi na......Christian na ako.....
  • rorsrors smash mo mukha mo :) PExer
    nope. i don't do that. and i don't find it disrespectful either.
  • saintjamsaintjam Member PExer
    no..i don't because it has no significance anyway..it's just a tradition passed down to us and it's not written on the Bible!

some say it's a sign of respect to the church and others....but respect is not proven just because you do the sign of the cross.
    Respect is having that fear for God...and fearing God is hating evil..

prayer is more POWERFUL..so keep on prayin, away from those traditions!
  • munikmunik . PExer
    Nope. I consider myself a Catholic but I also don't hear mass.
    God is everywhere, not just in churches. :)
    But then, I have no problem whatsoever with people who do.

I just realized, the movie "Stigmata" really made an impact on my religious beliefs.
    from munik
    Nope. I consider myself a Catholic but I also don't hear mass

Consider yet again what youre saying. Not going to mass on Sundays falls as a mortal sin, ya know. And as an aside, did you consider yourself a student without trying to study? A friend without being "there" for the person? A swimmer who can't swim? Seems mighty convenient.
    from saintjam
    no..i don't because it has no significance anyway..it's just a tradition passed down to us and it's not written on the Bible!

Please read my post again. Its not something I cooked up just to rile you guys. Its the truth. Really.
  • GollumGollum I killed Deagol PExer
    i'm one of those people who make the sign the sign of the cross when passing a church.

from what i learned in religion class in high school, making the sign of the cross when passing by a church was meant to cleanse your minor sins. it's the same as dipping your hand in holy water and making the sign of the cross when entering a church, or giving donations during the offertory. i think they earn you brownie points in heaven also. hehehehe...

but of course kailangan pa ring magconfess. :angel:

but i'm a non-practicing catholic, so that makes me less than credible, right?
    Off-topic: Gollum, dude. Ganda ng description mo ah. I always found Chris Martin to be cuute. :D :bungi:
  • munikmunik . PExer
    Tessaria, as I said I personally consider myself to be Catholic. You are right of course, as what a friend of mine told me yesterday, prayer is not enough. But then, I do not believe in some rituals. Sometimes, I see people hurriedly making the sign of the cross when they pass by churches and I wonder if what they do makes any sense to them at all.

Yesterday, I was persuaded by a friend to hear mass & I went with my family but I still believe that the time I spend praying in my room is more "quality time" than an hour in church with a lot of noisy kids running around. Still, I agreed to hear mass again every sunday, but I still don't see myself making the sign of the cross when I pass by a church.
  • JDELEONJDELEON Saint in Process PExer
    When I pass a Church, I do cross myself. Actually, I do it twice and say a Hail Mary in between.

If I only do the sign of the cross once, it is like calling up God and leaving the phone off the hook. =)

May Angels smile upon you,
    Joe
  • misanthropemisanthrope pseudo human PExer
    Yeah, every time. It's a knee-jerk response. :D
    It's significant because it makes me realize I have some obsessive-compulsive tendencies (but not enough to constitute an obsessive-compulsive personality which is kinda pathetic). I have to make the Sign of the Cross every time I pass by a church... just in case...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file