Home PEx Family and Society Buhay Pinoy

Life during the Marcos era: How "hard" was it really? Or just exaggerated?

I was born in '91 so um, I don't have an extensive idea about how life was actually like back then. I hear a lot from TV and internet pieces that Filipinos used to suffer so bad in Marcos's time. And I wonder what things exactly did we suffer from. So could you average 70's folks attest to this and give us a clearer understanding of this "hardship" told by historians and media.

How was YOUR well-being (or ill-being) before and how does it differ from today? How was it like to be an ordinary civilian that time? Do you think historical accounts of Filipinos' hardships in the Marcos era are over the top?

Comments

• the 70's were more about denied BASIC rights and oppression - I have/had relatives who were jailed with no reason to be and were held for years and some disappeared without trace

the early 80's up to when marcos was kicked out of office were about lost income and economic opportunity

I was born in '87 - the year after the tyrant refused to face his people's verdict and fled and here's what I can only tell you - we're a lot better off today than we were
  • JUST_JTJUST_JT PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Noong panahon ni Marcos hindi uubra iyong mga pagbatikos sa pamahalaan na ginagawa rito sa LAFI. Kundi torture ... salvage ang aabutin mo kung magreklamo ka.... :glee:

-Just_JT
    Marcos.supporters=complete.idiots. :bungi:
  • ^papa jt - I'm nicer than you and I call them revisionists - they're going around trying to alter history by telling people a different story
  • I wouldn't know, I had Manuel L. Quezon as president during my time.
    Social and political reform ... :bounce: :grinroll: :rotfl:

Ang tunay na dahilan kung bakit nagdeclare ng Martial Law si Marcos - ayaw nilang umalis sa puwesto. Ayon sa 1935 Saligang Batas hanggang 2 terms lang ang pangulo kaya hanggang 1973 na lang siya. Inunahan na niya: nagdeclare siya ng Martial Law noong 1972 at pinakulong lahat ng political enemies.

Hirap sa Pinoy - bukod sa obobs at tamad - maikli ang memory. Walang kadala-dala - paulit-ulit ang mga problema dahil walang natutunan sa mga pagkakamali ng nakalipas na panahon.... :glee:

-Just_JT
    We.deserve.our.leaders;we.deserve.our.fate. :bungi:
  • And yet the Marcoses are voted back in power by the smart people of Ilocandia...
  • Life back then was way better and Pinoys were more disciplined. Currently, we are still enjoying Marcos' projects (CCP, Heart Center, NKI, major thoroughfares like EDSA, bridges, LRT, IRRI, irrigation system in Mindanao and other provinces, BNPP, et cetera). Arts, cultural activities, infrastructure projects, sports and the level of education were also definitely better. There were free milk and bread for public elementary kids. Streets were cleaner and more orderly, too. We even had better reputation in the world and were way prouder as Pinoys.

'Yung mga nakulong noon ay 'yung mga pasaway at nanggugulo lang sa Pinas (Ninoy, mga militante at komunista, the oligarchs, mga talangka, etc).

:)
  • Meanie!!Meanie!! PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Ciprian wrote: »
    And yet the Marcoses are voted back in power by the smart people of Ilocandia...

Very Clannish at 'loyal' kasi ng mga Ilocano. I'm dissapointed. But hey, ERAP was number 2 last election,so...:confused:

Oh It was hard alright(and I know how Cory struggled with the government..Marcos basically ruined our country, one of his legacies were the power hungry generals in position. Philippines was poised for economic takeoff, even if it wasn't Marcos anyway). I haven't lived through it but I hear stories, and I haven't heard any exaggerations, just pure facts. I know some relatives whose friends and loved ones perished during Marcos' tyrannical reign. We are originally from the North so that's where the killings started.

I really can't understand why PGMA is the most hated President( Anthony Taberna bakit mas gusto mo pa si Sir ERAP? wtf); There's Marcos and ERAP, my countrymen; Both of those are known plunderers. And killers.
    ЅUX2B? wrote: »
    Life back then was way better and Pinoys were more disciplined. Currently, we are still enjoying Marcos' projects (CCP, Heart Center, NKI, major thoroughfares like EDSA, bridges, LRT, IRRI, irrigation system in Mindanao and other provinces, BNPP, et cetera). Arts, cultural activities, infrastructure projects, sports and the level of education were also definitely better. There were free milk and bread for public elementary kids. Streets were cleaner and more orderly, too. We even had better reputation in the world and were way prouder as Pinoys.

'Yung mga nakulong noon ay 'yung mga pasaway at nanggugulo lang sa Pinas (Ninoy, mga militante at komunista, the oligarchs, mga talangka, etc).

:)

Mga project ni Marcos puro PAMPASIKLAB lang para mabango ang tingin ng ibang bansa sa 'Pinas.

Imbes na CCP at FAT ang tinayo ni Marcos dapat MASS HOUSING para sa mahihirap. Diyan nagkatalo ang 'Pinas at Singapore. Ang mga project sa Singapore ay para sa mahihirap ... project ni Marcos para lalong MAGHIRAP.... :bounce: :grinroll: :rotfl:

-Just_JT
    Aanhin.ang.culture.appreciation.kung.walang.makain.ang.mamamayan? :bungi:
  • Alpha_GreenAlpha_Green PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I was born in '87 - the year after the tyrant refused to face his people's verdict and fled and here's what I can only tell you - we're a lot better off today than we were

We're a lot better off today? Can you tell me your basis in saying that? Just wanna know. If possible, try to do it without googling since it's better to believe someone who has actually lived through the Marcos era and experience his regime first hand.

Wala naman nagbago, mahirap pa din ang Pilipinas.
  • popskypopsky PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Agree ako kay JT dito.

The book Waltzing with a Dictator is a good reference.

Better today? It's not about a dictator, it's about the system. Ganun pa rin ang Pinas.
  • Ciprian wrote: »
    And yet the Marcoses are voted back in power by the smart people of Ilocandia...

cip - you and I both know that elections aren't about intelligence on both the candidates' and the electorate's sides
  • We're a lot better off today? Can you tell me your basis in saying that? Just wanna know. If possible, try to do it without googling since it's better to believe someone who has actually lived through the Marcos era and experience his regime first hand.

lol read the premise of this thread again - when I wrote "we" - I meant me and my clan :p
    We're a lot better off today? Can you tell me your basis in saying that? Just wanna know. If possible, try to do it without googling since it's better to believe someone who has actually lived through the Marcos era and experience his regime first hand.

Mas ayos ang buhay ngayon kaysa noon. The difference between now and then can be summed up in two words: FREEDOM and LIBERTY. :glee:

-Just_JT
    You.can't.put.a.price.tag.on.freedom.and.liberty. :up:
  • cip - you and I both know that elections aren't about intelligence on both the candidates' and the electorate's sides

The truth so fvcking hurts.
    lol read the premise of this thread again - when I wrote "we" - I meant me and my clan :p

Sure ok. You meant just you and your clan. :glee:
  • Sure ok. You meant just you and your clan. :glee:

wasn't speaking for anyone else that time - can't blame you for not noticing - you seem to have made a "pex living" ignoring such things :rotflmao:
    JUST_JT wrote: »
    Mas ayos ang buhay ngayon kaysa noon. The difference between now and then can be summed up in two words: FREEDOM and LIBERTY. :glee:

-Just_JT
    You.can't.put.a.price.tag.on.freedom.and.liberty. :up:

Can I borrow your words?

Aanhin pa ang freedom kung hanggang ngayon walang makain ang mga mamamayan...at marami pa din inutil at obobs na mga Pinoy at overpopulated na ang Filipinas. Too much freedom, not enough education, overpopulation etc..etc.. that spells doom.
  • razzer_risingrazzer_rising PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    OMG tama. marcos loyalists are all out sa pex para pagandahin ang image of marcos to the point of making up stories. marcos was just plain talker, puro plano, kulang sa gawa. PGMA was better in terms of infrastructure/year compared to marcos who just wasted 20 years of his term. Marcos just like any psychotic dictator wanted to extend his term as president FOREVER kasi nga selfish thats why he declared martial law so di sya mapapaalis sa pwesto. ayaw nyang sundin yung sa constitution natin. at ang mga selfish, sarili ang iniisip hindi ang BAYAN.

WE COULD HAVE BEEN SINGAPORE within 20 years of MARCOS but he FAILED simply because he CARED more for himself than the PHILIPPINES.

fact:

state of Philippines was better BEFORE Marcos than DURING and AFTER Marcos.
    Sablay pa rin ang 'Pinas dahil puro sablay ang hinahalal ng mga Pinoy sa pamahalaan. Iyan ang democracy = you have all the right and choice to screw up or not. :glee:

-Just_JT
    In.a.dictatorship.you.have.no.choice.but.to.be.screwed. :bungi: