Official PEx Movie Reviews

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    movieimage.jpg

I'm not familiar with the musical Rock of Ages but for what is worth the concept is something that would definitely appeal to the mainstream audience so it's no surprise a movie adaptation happened. Featuring music that is well-loved by the general public and with committed performances from it cast, Rock of Ages is a crowd pleaser that aims nothing but to entertain.

Sherrie (Dancing with the Stars' Julianne Hough) is a small town girl who moves to Sunset Trip and meets Drew (Rebelde's Diego Boneta) who works for a popular night club Bourbon Room and he helps her get a job as a waitress. Sherrie & Drew pursue their Hollywood dreams together but they soon realize that the road to stardom is not as it easy as it seems. Meanwhile, Bourbon Room's owner Dennis (Alec Baldwin) stages a final performance of popular rock band Arsenal to raise money for the club's unpaid taxes which raises the ire of Patricia (Catherine Zeta-Jones), the conservative mayor's wife, who has a vendetta against Arsenal's frontman Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise). Staxx, who is leaving the band to pursue a solo career, meets someone on the night of the concert who will rock his world in ways he never thought.

There's nothing much to say to the plot as it tells a lot of stories at once but didn't fall into place. The core story between Sherrie and Drew is so predictable but the songs they perform make them watchable. The music is definitely the strongest asset of the movie and almost makes up for the poorly constructed screenplay. There are a lot of scenes in the movie that exist only to lead up to a musical number. For one, Mary J. Blige's subplot (and her character for that matter) is pointless and they could have gotten anybody for Blige's role but she sings all her songs magnificently and led one showstopping performance of Anyway You Want It.

The movie features a LOT of songs and it feels like for every 5 minutes a musical sequence comes in but despite that, Rock of Ages didn't feel exhausting to watch because you can feel the energy and enthusiasm on each performance. The cast performances are a mixed bag though. Hough and Boneta are charming on screen but their acting abilities are limited while their voices suit certain type of songs only. Their rendition of Don't Stop Believing is so-so but their mash up of More Than Words/Heaven was good. Baldwin looks and sounds awkward when he sings while Russell Brand's shtick is not my cup of tea but those two have great chemistry which made their Can't Fight This Feeling number a riot to watch. Catherine Zeta Jones is stuck with such a broad and dumb role that she couldn't do much about it but dial up the camp.

But definitely the one who stole the show is Tom Cruise. I was surprised how he sounded good and how devoted he was to the character. Was it a believable take of a crazy, egoistic and aging rock star? I'm not sure actually but it's absolutely a fascinating performance. The movie lights up everytime he is on screen and his charm & skills were in full swing in I Want to Know What Love Is, a number so nutty but he sells the scene effectively.

Rock of Ages is not for someone who is a music purist or a "true" rock fan but if you are someone who can tolerate over the top performances, silly broad characters and insane sequences that literally interprets a song's lyrics then you are in for one fun ride.

Rating: 7. 5 / 10
    Genre: Musical, Comedy
    Cast: Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Catherine Zeta Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russel Brand, Paul Giamatti, Bryan Cranston, Malin Akerman, Mary J. Blige and Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx
    Distributor: Warner Brothers Philippines

Opens today (June 14) in theaters nationwide

57e51d3d028d3b30ccf9b0faa6e2dda0.jpg

Discuss the movie at the Rock of Ages thread
  • carlhirocarlhiro Resident Teleporter PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    movieimage.jpg

A story of a small-town girl and a city boy pursuing their hollywood dreams, alongside the attempt of a rockstar to have a solo career and a mayor's wife determined to shut down a rock-and-roll bar much to the dismay of its owner and manager. Rock of Ages is Adam Shankman's second attempt to portray a popular Broadway musical.

I was looking forward to this movie, not because I was a fan of the musical, but because of the stellar cast, which includes Tom Cruise, Alec Baldwin and Catherine Zeta-Jones. I thought the cast was great, but not in an ensemble-y type of way. It was like putting together pieces of great performances and the end product was just okay. The cast seemed to work well in their own pairs/groups such as Baldwin/Brand, Boneta/Hough, Cruise/Akerman, and Zeta-Jones, Blige and Giamatti kind of shined on their own. I love how the film featured actors relatively new to feature movies, Diego Boneta and Julianne Hough. I thought they are going to be outshined by their supporting cast, but I guess they casted the pair really well. I think they did their roles alright.

One of the best parts of the film was the songs. A fan of Rock and Roll music and/or the musical may cringe to the weird singing voice of Tom Cruise, but I was satisfied. I found myself singing along with some of the songs I know. I recommend buying its soundtrack because it's good.

As good as the songs were the performances themselves. The comedic nature of the musical was translated to the film as well. I laughed my a** out in Baldwin and Brand's version of 'Can't Fight This Feeling'. Cruise and Akerman's 'I Wanna Know What Love Is' is a close second. I guess if you're into passenger buses that rock out to Sister Christian or strip clubs singing 'Anyway You Want It' in chorus, this is the film for you.

Rating: 8.5/10
    Genre: Musical
    Cast: Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Catherine Zeta Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russell Brand, Paul Giamatti, Bryan Cranston, Malin Akerman, Mary J. Blige and Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx

Opens June 14 in theaters nationwide.

• paddylastpaddylast Cut & Run Disciple PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    f1c2cde4d0788d379adcabe59d6440f2.jpg

The film may have hinted that this could be the series’ ending but the film did not shy away from the endearing first installment that we came to love. The film takes off from where it ended in Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa. The foursome (Alex, Marty, Gloria and Melman) along with lemur, king Julien, Maurice and the ever so tricky and clever Penguins somehow managed to reach Monte Carlo hoping to catch a ride home to New York. From there, trouble ensues as Chantel DuBois, a French animal-control officer had Alex being part of the Most Wanted List, is chasing them down. To find their way out, the gang decided to join a circus that led to more adventures.

610d7017abfe1aa2c2e9635d5d2440bc.jpg

I thought the film yet again, delivered another hit by continually charming its audience with witty jokes and the ever-so adorable penguin chatter. It was set in a fast-paced mood that the entirety of the film is almost too much to ponder upon because everything is happening so fast but I just love it! I did enjoy every scene especially with King Julien’s antics to impress his newfound love.

871048518cc5f8abe8edaf47c6ae3b1a.jpg

It is also good to know that this third installment seemed to step up their animation with colorful and just stunning visuals. That one scene where Katy Perry’s Firework seemed to have captured the mood perfectly. Every kid should enjoy this film to bits. The novelty is still there, the hilarity, though nonsensical at times – is still very much part of what we enjoyed the most about the first two films and with this one, you sure will get your money’s worth.

Rating: 9/10
    Director: Eric Darnell, Tom McGrath, Conrad Vernon
    Casts: Ben Stiller, Chris Rock, David Schwimmer, Jada Pinkett Smith, Sacha Baron Cohen, Jessica Chastain, Chris Miller

Discuss the movie at the Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted thread.
    9456370ff097f613c2cddec8f0adaafc.jpg

This Ridley Scott's comeback film centers on the crew of spaceship Prometheus as they follow a star map that led them towards an unexplored intergalactic world. Archeologist couple Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) were inspired by the inscriptions they found in a 32,000 year old cave pointing them towards the answer to human's existential question that they convince multibillionaire Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce) to fund the trip to this distant cosmos with Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron), the robot David (Michael Fassbender) and captain Janek (Idris Elba) joining in for the ride.

I thought the first half of the film was truly compelling particularly the overwhelming ideas that the cast and 'you' may ponder upon (the existence of man, the origin of aliens and all) but it became unsteady towards the end. It has quite a few plot holes. Suddenly, I feel that most of the dialogues became meaningless with the characters doing irrational stuff, which may perhaps lead to a sequel.

4ce1f32407a89e7b63b3aeacb021840f.jpg

There is still so much to like about this film though. Michael Fassbender for one steals the show as the well-mannered David. Noomi Rapace is decent enough while Theron and Pearce were quite a delight even if their character lacks development. In addition, I would like to say how bothered I am by the make-up that drowned Pearce almost instantly. There are also the stunning visuals and the extraordinary soundscape that I felt like I was transported into another dimension. The cinematography was divine! Truly, Scott is a master in visuals.

I feel that the film has a touch of clich? after watching it but I thought it was intelligent and somehow original despite the nod towards Alien. It ain?t finish as we?re up to the inevitable sequel and I?m actually excited about it. I have not seen a film quite like this in a long time and I couldn?t care less if the ending was a bit weak as long as there?s a sequel in the near future.

Rating: 7/10
    Director: Ridley Scott
    Casts: Roomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Idris Elba, Logan Marshall-Green, Charlize Theron
    Distributor: 20th Century Fox

Discuss the movie at the Prometheus thread.

'still showing at your favorite cinemas.
    d536cd34847711ef3f13fa0f4e33f9a4.jpg

Rock of Ages is a film adaptation of the 2006 Broadway musical by Chris D'Arienzo of the same name. Set in 1986 on Los Angeles, Sherrie Christian (Julianne Hough) travels from Oklahoma with head full of dreams. She meets Drew, a bus boy at the popular nightclub "The Bourbon Room" who gets her a job as a waitress and soon steals her heart. The club, though, is in danger of shutting down due to unpaid taxes and opposition from the Mayor (Bryan Cranston) and his wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones) who wanted to clean the Sunset Strip. With Rock legend Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) final performance with his band, things picked-up between Drew and Sherrie's relationship that led to many different things.

86acc428fda0f5c5fda06156609c226e.jpg

Watching the film feels like watching a big-budgeted adult "Glee" movie version. I find myself cringing and laughing at the same time whenever one of the casts burst into song, which happened in about 80% of the film. I love that Julianne Hough can actually sing and delivered outstanding performances. Also, Mary J. Blige playing the strip club owner killed it! In contrast, I thought Alec Baldwin playing the club owner, Russell Brand as his right-hand and Tom Cruise altogether failed miserably. They're just off. It’s like SNL gone wrong.

1de19b62552b5d2b80ce4f04a53f8173.jpg

The film actually started full of energy and full of promise. It was absorbing and the pacing was great but halfway through, all the elements just dropped off and it suddenly became too karaoke. The musical numbers were great alright but the plot suffered tremendously. Ultimately, the film became less charming and ended up as a”star-studded” karaoke film.

Rating: 7/10

Genre: Musical, Comedy
    Cast: Julianne Hough, Diego Boneta, Catherine Zeta Jones, Alec Baldwin, Russel Brand, Paul Giamatti, Bryan Cranston, Malin Akerman, Mary J. Blige and Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx

• Lola_RoseLola_Rose IMPERSONATED PExer
    5591415_orig.jpg
    Comedy | Drama | Musical

Maybe you love musical films and you've seen every one of them that has ever been made. Maybe you're a fan of 80's music and you wanna reminisce. Maybe Tom Cruise playing a rock star is a compellingly curious thing. Whatever your reason is, Rock of Ages, based on the 2006 Broadway jukebox musical of the same name, is on your must-see list.

So, what to expect?

90413_gal.jpg
    Tom Cruise as Stacee Jaxx

Essentially, the movie is about young love in the midst of a Rock 'n' Roll Era-- but sidetracked by many subplots. With a central story similar to 2010's Burlesque (Christina Aguilera), Rock of Ages is about Sherrie (Julianne Hough), a small-town girl and aspiring singer who arrives in LA and gets a job waitressing at The Bourbon, the most famous nightclub on the strip, with the help of barback Drew (Diego Boneta), who shares her dreams of rock 'n' roll fame. The Bourbon, however, has some problems-- not only is it facing foreclosure due to unpaid taxes, but it's also the object of obsession of the mayor's ultra conservative and intensely anti-rock 'n' roll wife (Catherine Zeta-Jones). Bourbon owner Dennis (Baldwin) relies on rock n' roll god Stacee Jaxx (Tom Cruise) for a sold-out show to save the club from closing down. Will he succeed? And will Sherrie and Drew live happily ever after and their dreams of becoming famous come true?

90403_gal.jpg
    She certainly has some issues.

Directed by Adam Shankman, Rock of Ages, which aims to be a fun, nostalgic movie, feels like a cross between High School Musical and Saturday Night Live-- with Glee-like musical numbers. The pubescent and predictable love story played by virtually unknown actors--Hough and Boneta--gives it a Disney TV-musical vibe, and the Hollywood A-listers surrounding them belting out 80's songs give off an unsettling sense of SNL parody.

Tom Cruise, with much relief and amusement, is passable as a rock star. No complete transformation here-- just a funny, odd role that he has managed to pull off just fine and engagingly. Zeta-Jones is winsome as the ridiculously intense evangelist-like antagonist, humorous in her blazing eyes and wildly passionate anti-rock 'n' roll sentiments that you'd wish she had more scenes and dialogue. The rest are blah.

90415_gal.jpg
    High School Musical?

Rock of Ages is colorful and glitzy; sometimes funny but never hilarious. It's trying too hard to provide high-energy entertainment but it just lacks the fervor, the passion that comes with rock 'n' roll...no delicious and fresh take on the familiar 80's songs. It's too...contrived. Showy but empty, like a lip-sinc-y Glee, with a mediocre, thin narrative and shallow characters.

Rock of Ages is not the worst musical film ever made, probably not; it is, in fact, watchable, listenable, and tolerable. But totally forgettable. it just doesn't feel like an event. No significant musical experience here. And despite 80's hits in the film from Def Leppard, Journey, Bon Jovi, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister and others, Rock of Ages, unfortunately, was unable to revive the rock 'n' roll spirit.

4 out of 10 stars

In Philippine Cinemas June 14, 2012

Discuss the movie in the Rock of Ages thread.
    90035_gal.jpg
    Action | Adventure | Fantasy

Do you think you need to watch a Spider-Man reboot? Is it even necessary? Only five years have passed since the end of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movie trilogy and yet the Marvel superhero's story starts all over again on the big screen-- this time lanky British actor Andrew Garfield (The Social Network; Never Let Me Go) replacing Tobey Maguire as the webslinger.

In The Amazing Spider-Man, we are told an already familiar story: how Spider-Man came to be...only this time, we are provided with more details. Seventeen-year-old social outcast Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), orphaned at such a young age, grew up with his uncle (Martin Sheen) and aunt (Sally Field) in a quiet suburban neighborhood...but his past is kept a secret from him. One day, Peter discovers a clue about his father's mysterious work, leading him to Oscorp lab to meet the one-armed Dr. Curt Connors (Rhys Ifans). There, Peter is bitten by a radioactive spider...that will change his life forever.

79985_gal.jpg

Director Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) and writers Steve Ditko, Stan Lee, James Vanderbilt weave a Spider-Man story that is more human than superhero, more emotional than showy. And with a more dramatic approach, the film is much more realistic. Here is a Spider-Man movie that is more Peter Parker than Spider-Man-- we are given more insight into Peter's personality, his teenage struggles, his first love experience with Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone), and how he shapes himself to become the amazing Spider-Man. Spider-Man fans will like Garfield as the new webslinger, as the 28-year-old actor gives a more Spidey personality, proving his versatility as an actor by delivering a believable performance as a socially awkward and vulnerable teenager who discover the thrills, the risks, and responsibilities of his newly acquired spider powers.

85146_gal.jpg

The film smoothly transitions from a Peter Parker backgrounder into superhero-versus-villain action scenes as Spider-Man eventually finds himself face-to-face with the menacing Lizard...until we are brought to the breathtaking climax of the film where we are treated to watching Spider-Man in a flawless and beautifully choreographed display of aerial spider-acrobatics in night-time Manhattan, including exhilarating shots from his POV. The film score is sometimes off, downplaying some significant scenes but it's nevertheless compensated by a good cinematography and engaging action scenes. Also, a giant lizard and a human-spider going at each other's throats in New York unexpectedly provides a real sense of suspense and danger.

90581_gal.jpg

With a streamlined screenplay, unpretentious and clear narrative, The Amazing Spider-Man turns out be a necessary reboot after all, as the film will take fans on a different Spider-Man experience...and this movie might just spawn a whole new and exciting Spider-Man series on the big screen. Fans, prepare to be bitten.

8.5 out of 10 stars

In Philippine theaters June 29, 2012

Discuss the movie in the Amazing Spider-Man thread.
  • KaittenKaitten unreliable & irresponsible PExer
    the-amazing-spider-man-new-poster-2-500x741.jpg

As a Spider-Man fan a lot of questions will linger in your mind. Why did they reboot the franchise or where is Tobey Maguire? After seeing this film, all the questions were answered, same story but they made it fresh and more exciting.

Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) was abandoned by his parents when he was still a child, leaving him to his Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen) and Aunt May (Sally Field). With a lot of questions about his life, his father old briefcase leaded him to the Oscorp. There he met his father former colleague, one handed Dr. Curtis Connors (Rhys Ifans). While he was in Oscorp he was accidentally bitten by a radioactive spider. Soon he discovers that he has a tremendous strength and unique ability as a spider. When Dr. Connors plan backfired in having his arm back he is turned into a Lizard and starts threatening the city. Now it's in Peter Parker"s hands to save the people and become a hero.

asm-new1.jpg

The Amazing Spider-man had some slight deviation from the original version but totally paid off. A fresh new look of the film was absolutely incredible. They developed the story and they made it cleverly piercing it with note of realism but still sticking with it's comic value. I'm sure you'll miss Tobey Maguire at first but making you forget him as the movie goes along. Andrew Garfield did well as a replacement, embracing the character well as he fits very well in his role. He shows his emotions well while having that comical spidey attitude. Emma Stone also did well in having a lovely chemistry with Andrew Garfield though we missed the upside down kiss scene.

15.jpg

The effects was outstanding specially when you watch it on 3D. I think it would be the best watching it in an IMAX theater. No doubt that Spider-Man will invite a lot of audiences but Director Marc Webb made some brilliant touches that will attract more viewers and love the new franchise even more. The casting was perfect, the story was smartly made so there's no way you'll pass this.

1.jpg

Overall a reboot is not necessarily needed for this film but if the results is great as this, well why not? Don't leave your seats and wait for the end scene hinting for a sequel in the near future. Andrew Garfield rocks don't dare miss it.

Rating: 10 stars out of 10

Casts: Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Martin Sheen, Rhys Ifans

Directed By: Marc Webb
    Distributed By: Columbia Pictures Philippines
    Now Showing in 3D at your favorite cinemas
    Experience it in IMAX 3D

Discuss the movie at The Amazing Spider-Man thread
    Ice+Age+4-+Continental+Drift-04.jpg

Been a big fan of this franchise since the first Ice Age movie (2002). Now the whole gang is back together with plenty of new characters that would entertain kids and the whole family

Raw.jpg

Scrat hunts the acorn once again and triggers the break up of the Pangaea continent. With the shake-up Manny (Ray Romano) was separated with his family and gets stuck into a floating ice raft together with Sid (John Leguizamo), Diego (Denis Leary) and Sid's grandmother. The herd and Manny's family decided to go towards a land bridge where they hope to reunite with Manny. As the gang travels they encounter a group of pirates who started a war against them. With the pirates on their way, they try to fight their them so they can return to their herd.

Ice Age movies never failed to impress us from the colorful graphics, lovable characters and up to the remarkable story-line. The film always shows the importance of friendship, family and a lot of good moral lessons where kids can learn while enjoying the movie. Though a 94 minutes run time was maybe too short for us, continental drift still sticks to the fast paced story together with the humorous scenes that makes the younger audience giggle in laughter.

poiu2cj4u85uqk9d.D.0.Ice-Age-Continental-Drift-Stills.jpg

For the 3D effects it was good and suits right with the animation. For the characters the gang still had that same unique habit that the audiences loves and with the addition of fresh new faces including Shira a love interest for Diego provides a new taste. Relying on the same formula which they used on the past films while trying to get some new stuffs to make the film more entertaining.

Overall, Ice Age: Continental Drift is a must watch specially when you have kids. A movie for the whole family and a film for all ages. Another adventure from this gang never gets old.

Rating: 8.5 out of 10 stars

Casts: Ray Romano, Jennifer Lopez, Denis Leary, John Leguizamo

Directed by: Steve Martino and Mike Thurmeier
    Distributed by: 20th Century Fox Philippines
    Opens on Today in 3D at your favorite cinemas

Discuss the movie at Ice Age 4 thread
    0de58484dea5e123449b3e0b72948e65.jpg

Ten years after the release of the original Ice Age, the film’s fourth installment was still able to deliver a hard core family flick that will capture the heart of its young viewers. Ice Age 4: Continental Drift sees the gang charming their way to the audience with their adventures and misadventures to the high seas. Our three heroes, Manny the mammoth (Ray Romano), Diego the sabre-toothed tiger (Denis Leary) and Sid the sloth ( John Leguizamo) were separated from their families and got stuck in an ice raft with Sid’s grandmother (Wanda Sykes.)

5329bcdce5f15c5153a0efd41f246b8b.jpg
    As the gang drifts further away from their home, they met a gang of pirates led by Captain Gutt, an orangutan who's out to bring chaos and revenge along with his crew. Determined to be with his wife and daughter again, Manny led the action-packed showdown between our charming heroes and the pirates.

This fourth installment of the film was co-directed by Steve Martino and Mike Thurmeier who directed the third one. With its very cliché plot line, the teamwork of Martino and Thurmeier was able to transformed it into something that both adult and children would thoroughly enjoy. I’m not a really big fan of 3-D but I just really dig it this time. It’s fun and engaging and the humour’s just have the right balance. Ice Age 4 soars higher as they deliver a family film that will not only entertain its audience but will teach us some real lessons in life. It’s definitely a must-see!

Rating: 9/10
    Casts: Ray Romano, Jennifer Lopez, Denis Leary, John Leguizamo

Directed by: Steve Martino and Mike Thurmeier
    Distributed by: 20th Century Fox Philippines
    Now showing in 3D at your favorite cinemas

Discuss the movie at Ice Age 4 thread
    220px-Abraham_Lincoln_-_Vampire_Hunter_Poster.jpg

One would easily think that a movie titled Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is a comedy or at least a political satire but this movie isn't. I'm not familiar with the source novel but I've read that the author is known for twisting history with bizarre fiction but in Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter the movie's attempt to blend Abraham Lincoln's past with a generic horror tale didn't work at all.

Abraham Lincoln saw his mother die in the arms of a vampire when he was a child. He vows to seek revenge and when Abe grew up (Benjamin Walker) he meets Henry (Dominic Cooper) who will help thim rain on how to hunt down and kill vampires.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is really a serious movie about the 16th president of the United States of America and his secret life as a vampire hunter. The movie uses real events in the life of Lincoln and incorporates a horror story. The movie does it by connecting issues of wars and slavery to vampire concerns and there are also appearances of notable historical figures in its contrived attempt to make it historically "authentic". But let's face it the concept is so silly that playing it straight made the movie a chore to watch. The performances are fine and committed while the production values are mostly good except for the horse stampede scene which was sloppily executed with some of the actors' harnesses visible. But over-all the movie is so dull and lifeless.

Genre mash-ups are not expected to be fun or satiric all the time but if a movie is going to take an outrageous premise there must be something in there that is at least compelling to watch so the viewers can suspend their disbelief and just join the ride. Unfortunately, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter takes itself way too seriously and loses a component in the process to make it watchable.

Rating: 4/10
    Cast:
    Benjamin Walker
    Dominic Cooper
    Anthony Mackie
    Mary Elizabeth Winstead
    Rufus Sewell
    Marton Csokas
    Director: Timur Bekmambetov

Discuss the movie at the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter thread
    abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter-movie-poster-2012-1020747869.jpg
    Action | Fantasy | Horror

The concept that the 16th American president was a vampire hunter is already a dubious entertainment material-- if not laughable. Especially when the story is delivered in a serious, historical manner. But the novel, on which this movie is based, has actually garnered positive reviews-- and followers. And with Tim Burton producing the movie version, I guess no one should underestimate the power of imagination and creativity and give this--*guffaws*--Abraham-Lincoln-with-a-secret-life-slaying-bloodsuckers a chance.

89842_gal.jpg

In Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, America is occupied by the living and the dead. Abe (Benjamin Walker) is confronted with this fact when he found out that it was actually a vampire that killed his mother. And so he not only becomes bent on ending slavery, but also becomes determined to avenge his mother's death and kill each and every vampire that exists in his beloved country. His determination of the latter comes true when he meets the mysterious Henry (Dominic Cooper), who trains him to become a vampire hunter. And so, like Clark Kent and Peter Parker, Abe also lives a double life-- store clerk and law student in the morning, superhero-vampire hunter at night. And if Thor wields a hammer, Abe kills the enemies with a silver-dipped axe.

89843_gal.jpg

Directed by Timur Bekmambetov (Wanted) and screenplay written by the author of the novel himself, Seth Grahame-Smith, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter proves to be worse than what I expected. It offers nothing substantial. It feels like you're watching a video game. No, actually, it feels like you're watching over the shoulder of a kid playing an unexciting kiddy vampire online game. That's how uninvolved you'd feel.

Bekmambetov has excessively used slo-mo effects and MTv-like choreography in the fight scenes, the black vampire blood and wooden splinters flying in 3D--sometimes obliterated by smoke and dust and in synced with a modern film score--which totally eliminates the scary factor. No build-up tension. No sense of raw horror and danger. Also, the unnecessary 3D effects make you all the more detached to what's going on. Yes, your eyes can comprehend a lot of action going on in the screen; all the flying, the magical axe in swift motion, the black top hat, and the cartoonish vampires baring their fangs pop-up style...but you won't feel a thing except why such a movie exists.

89842_gal.jpg

No sense of history either. The historical and Lincoln biographical part of the movie is thinly told and so you won't get anything substantial out of it either-- the movie purely concentrates on the non-threatening presence of the vampires and Lincoln's boring face and boring axe flying everywhere.

To vampire fanatics looking for a delicious horror-scare at the cinema, I suggest you just watch some YouTube pop-up monster videos because they are waay scarier than this. Not to mention more fun.

4 out of 10 stars

Talk about the movie at the Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter thread
    90549_gal.jpg

To Channing-lusting females, sexually frustrated housewives, gays, and closet strippers, Magic Mike could be the answer to your fantasies. You don't have to visit a male strip club— just go to your nearest cinema for a generous sight of gyrating beefcakes, even if it's only in 2D.

Generating a ripple effect of female hysteria, Magic Mike seems to be the hottest and much-talked about movie in town, even by straight men. But if you're seeking for fun and entertainment that is beyond hot males grinding their pelvis—i.e., the story—then there's nothing in it.

90740_gal.jpg

Marketed as light and fun, the movie is actually more of a drama. Mike (Tatum) is an ageing superstar male stripper at Xquisite Club owned by Dallas (Mathhew McConaughey). The movie establishes early on that Tatum is a wise, responsible guy, so don't judge him! He is only using his sexy gig to save up for his real dream and ambition: furniture-making. But Mike's well-laid plains might just go wrong when he accidentally meets a 19-year-old unmotivated Calvin Klein model-lookalike, Adam/"The Kid" (Alex Pettyfer), and recruits him as a stripper under his wings— and promising Adam's uptight sister Brooke (Cody Horn), who he has a crush on, to keep him out of trouble.

90757_gal.jpg
    British actor Pettyfer as "The Kid" could be the next Magic Mike.

Directed by Steven Soderbergh and based on Tatum's teen life as a stripper, do not expect a deliciously rich story on the five male strippers on the movie poster— they're not even close friends in the movie. The story surprisingly only revolves around Mike, Adam, and Brooke, and executed flatly. And the rest of the male strippers? They are just extras— except for McConaughey, the ambitious and narcissistic leader of the troupe.

From the perspective of the three main characters, you'd barely feel anything. You won't feel Mike's struggles as an ageing stripper; you won't care what happens to him. With Adam, there is initial thrill when he is introduced to stripping, but we are weirdly not sucked into the world of male strippers— it's just all in the surface. You comprehend but you don't experience. And Mike and Brooke have no chemistry, with Brooke most of the time pouting and her eyes traveling thoughtfully. And whenever anybody talks in the film, it's irritating. One of the lamest, saddest, and most empty dialogues I've heard in a movie. This movie makes it look like Gossip Girl and Glee are written by geniuses.

90714_gal.jpg
    Cody Horn looks like this in the entire movie, but Magic Mike is smitten by her.

For someone like me who don't go gaga over male strippers, the performances provide light fun and entertainment and is quite engaging, especially when the males accumulate all the sweaty, rumpled Benjamins stuck in their leather thongs, and you're happy for them. The choreography and costumes provide amusement but somehow you don't get any infectious giddiness from the female audience in the club. You see them shrieking and going wild, but you don't feel anything. Stamped PG-13 in the country, the sexy moves are not shocking, only teasing and naughty, and the frequent loud rip of clothing material to reveal male bums can elicit laughter. Tatum is the only skilled dancer in the entire gang, yet he does not exude the special superstar persona; it is McConaughey who delivers a lively and impressive stripper performance, and the only one with a strong sense of character.

90751_gal.jpg
    Mathew McConaughey is a credible stripper.

Set in sunny Tampa, Florida, the movie provides a beautiful yellow glow throughout the film, complete with visually pleasing palm trees and the sounds of crashing ocean waves, with physically fit men and women walking around...but the story is scattered and ambivalent. You cannot grasp anything. It's floating, barely felt. No real sense of drama, and the humor is dry. There is no magic.

Overall, if you're seeking to be entertained with the story, then Magic Mike is a complete waste of time. The story is dragging, boring, and empty and only inspired me to get into shape because of Brooke's enviously flat belly. But if you're in it for the visual male eye-candy alone, and you don't care whether the movie has a story or not, then you might enjoy it. Because, really, you're just paying for a non-live, silver-screen version of Chippendales, with Channing Tatum in it.

4 out of 10 stars

In Cinemas July 11, 2012

Discuss the movie at the Magic Mike thread

SOURCE FOR ALL IMAGES: Rottentomatoes.com
  • icolicol Neophyte's serendipity PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    New_Dark_Knight_Rises_Poster_Arrives_Online_1337636698.jpg

Action | Adventure | Drama

Director: Christopher Nolan
    Cast: Christian Bale, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Marion Cotillard, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman

After Christopher Nolan re-introduced us to Gotham City via Batman Begins in 2005, we’ve finally come to the final conclusion of the Batman trilogy, and to say it is epic is some sort of understatement. The Dark Knight Rises certainly lives up to the premise of the first two predecessors while managing to highlight new accomplishments of its own.

fe97ce3f1ca570dea040cc0181295ed5.jpg

The story begins eight years after where the last story finished, and Gotham City, to say the least, has been enjoying the peace and calmness that Batman provided since the tragic accident. Back on his renovated and much improved Wayne Manor, our hero’s alter ego Bruce Wayne has been living a pretty stagnant life, now on a cane, resigning from his Batman duties, and very aloof to others except for his trusty assistant (after all, he was pretty much exiled after taking the blame for what happened to Harvey Dent). It’s not until we’re introduced to Hannibal Lecter look-a-like character Bane that Batman felt the urge to step into his cape and save the day once again.

We were also treated to a plethora of new characters in this last part of Nolan's trilogy: Joseph Gordon Levitt as Batman loyalist John Blake, Marion Cotillard as co-executive and love interest Miranda Tate who serves as a perfect distraction to Bruce Wayne, and Anne Hathaway’s devilishly diva Selina Kyle and ferocious alter ego Catwoman. These characters added more interest and enjoyment in the film.

anne-hathaway-dark-knight-rises-catwoman-small.jpg

Christopher Nolan is probably one of the most critically lauded directors of the past decade and in the Dark Knight Rises, he leveled up another notch to come up with a good balance of satisfying both the eyes and the mind of the audience. There’s really something with his treatment of storytelling that gives his audience contentment and at the same time, leaving it open for different interpretations. I like how some of the situations can be juxtaposed with different current issues that a lot of countries are experiencing. I read that before he started the trilogy, he already had a planned ending, and I think that helped a lot with the direction he wants to tackle with this one. I know that one of Nolan’s weaknesses is the way he writes his female characters but both Miranda and Selina were probably some of his better outputs.

As for the technical achievements of the film, it definitely delivered. What I love about Nolan’s visuals is that they’re flashy but not over the top. Just take the bridge destruction scene in the first trailer; had it been any other director handling that scene, it would have been the primary focus. With Nolan, he doesn’t focus on the single part but its overall effect in the context of the movie. The cinematography was very pleasing to the eyes and the musical score helps set the mood regardless if it’s an action scene or simply a conversation one. I also took notice on how Nolan set up some scenes to be free of any sound; those quiet moments linger on the impending scene that’s about to happen.

bridge.jpg

It is noteworthy to mention that this one among the three movies featured Batman the least. However, that didn’t affect the overall movie as we’re being treated to all these other interesting characters. It also helped that the movie had a very capable ensemble with Christian Bale at his best as Batman, and Joseph Gordon Levitt in a pivotal role. All the regulars (Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, and Gary Oldman) already cemented their roles while still balancing the emotional gravitas with the action packed ones. Tom Hardy wasn’t given the best showcase, and comparisons with Heath Ledger’s Joker is really difficult to avoid, but come on, that is iconic and no one can touch Ledger’s Joker. Given the underdeveloped role, Hardy did the best he could with his Bane character. My favorite though is Anne Hathaway as Selina slash Catwoman who delivered expectations, giving a fun sassy vibe kicking asses and changing characters hysterically while at the same time being very effortless.

All in all, it wasn’t the perfect movie. There were areas that can still be improved every now and then; however, more than being a flawless flick, it was more than satisfying as a conclusion to this Batman trilogy. Christopher Nolan’s approach is the true gem of these three films with The Dark Knight Rises closing the whole series effectively.

GRADE: 9.5/10

The Dark Knight Rises opens today (July 19) in theaters nationwide.
    *Also available in IMAX theaters nationwide (with SM IMAX MOA showing it on IMAX for 24/7 from July 19 to 23)

Discuss the movie at The Dark Knight Rises thread
    5970457_orig.jpg
    Action | Adventure | Drama

When the movie trailer opened with no sound except for that sole, clear, angelic voice of the boy singing the national anthem, then transitioning into a sinister rumble, serious and ominous, the low pounding escalating into some kind of chaos...and then we catch sight of the Caped Crusader in what would be revealed as the epic conclusion of the Batman trilogy, you just know-- that the Dark Knight will rise above all the superheroes who recently graced the big screen. And so you wait with pure excitement. That kind of restless anticipation. Because you just know it's going to be so, so good just by that teaser trailer alone.

And then the day came to finally watch. After finishing the almost 3-hour epic finale, it turns out you were right. Christopher Nolan has rewarded your very high expectations.

79959_gal.jpg

In this emotionally gripping and intellectually satisfying epic finale, Gotham City is at peace time, and Bruce Wayne/Batman (Christian Bale) is in seclusion for eight years now; bearded, depressed, and lethargic. People are curious; where is the billionaire Mr. Wayne? And people are talking. Batman had murdered the city's hero Harvey Dent eight years ago, didn't he? He's a fugitive now. Gone. A legend. Then a beautiful cat burglar (Anne Hathaway) arrives, waking Mr. Wayne from his stupor...and then a big storm starts brewing, triggered by a terrifying behemoth of a terrorist with a bear-trap-like mask named Bane (Tom Hardy), finally forcing Batman to step out of the shadows to save his beloved city. But after almost a decade of hiatus, can we rely on the Caped Crusader to fight again? Or will he...*chokes*...die in the killer hands of Bane?

91488_gal.jpg

Christopher Nolan's reinvention of Batman is an important turning point in the history of superhero films. Dark and dead serious, stark and gloomy, the maturity of Nolan's treatment has transformed the fantasy of Batman into something more tangible and real. And with Hans Zimmer, who is God's gift to cinema, composing the film score, as well as the clear and elegant cinematography, you will be swept away in this movie. You will find yourself right there, in Gotham City, witnessing the inevitable fate of Batman.

In this epic finale, the core of the story are vengeance, politics, corruption, and terrorism on a grand scale, with our hero struggling and fighting against lost hope. And with unpredictable plot twists and turns, and with you rooting for Batman to survive and become once again the superhero that he is, The Dark Knight Rises is indeed tensing, emotional, and scary-- made all the more absorbing because of the wonderful cast...

91495_gal.jpg
    I think someone here has a crush on Batman.

88919_gal.jpg
    "This Means War" for Mr. Bane, played by Tom Hardy.

Christian Bale delivers a dramatic Batman role-- and, please, let's just ignore his unsettling, freaky Batman voice! Bale is aptly brooding, in pain, and determined as what a mortal hero should be. And he has a surprising chemistry with the surprisingly likeable Hathaway as the non-purring Catwoman. And the villain, Bane, played by an unrecognizable Tom Hardy, is a terrifying equal match to Batman when it comes to strength, and his actions evil and precise, causing him to be a very real threat and danger to our hero. Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the young, idealistic cop John Blake, an avid Batman supporter, gives an already expected terrific performance (and DC comics fans will instantly "get" his pivotal role here). And Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon, Morgan Freeman, and Marion Cottiliard give justice to their supporting roles.

91494_gal.jpg
    There's something about John Blake (Gordon-Levitt) that is exciting.

The Dark Knight Rises is a thrilling, dramatic, and satisfying closure to the Batman trilogy. For fans of this mortal hero, especially fans of the Nolan brand of Batman, you will be rewarded for sure. For non-Batman fans, well, Nolan just might change your mind...because this is definitely going to be our collective choice as one of the best movies that came out this year.

10 out of 10 stars

In Philippine Cinemas on July 19, 2012

Discuss the movie at The Dark Knight Rises thread
    a5fde6fd75a03c56740df6fc72cd42be.jpg
    I went to see the film half-expecting a mix of Sacha Baron Cohen’s eponymous characters Borat and Bruno but I thought it was tamer and more solid. The Dictator tells the story of Admiral General Aladeen ruling the North African country of “Wadiya” with an iron fist. He was invited to travel to New York to address the United Nations that led to his kidnapping plotted by his right hand (Ben Kingsley.) Replaced by a dim-witted impostor, the deposed leader device a plan to reclaim his power through the help of Zoe (Anna Faris), a very liberal militant whose appearance in the film balanced out the gross hilarity of Baron Cohen’s character.

d4f1b91d90ada740f581200fa654deb9.jpg

The film isn’t as vulgar as Bruno but it has some cringe-worthy scenes that may offend the sensibility of some people but ninety percent of it was hella funny. The direct hit towards the American culture and politics made it even funnier that it almost feel like an intelligent film, only it is not. It was slapstick but relevant, fearless but not jaw dropping at all. With a very touchy topic such as democracy, you might think that Sacha and director Larry Charles went a bit too far as to make fun of a lot of relevant issues that recently transpired but they were able to transition everything into something that is too hilarious to even get a serious thought from its audience.

b3a8d1046fa9afe2fa347ca28fe00e6c.jpg

The Dictator may have pushed the limit as it conquered the reality that is happening now but it gave a solid comedy that we’d all be laughing about from wherever we’ll be watching it. Like democracy, we have a choice to watch it or not. To laugh at it or laugh with it – at the end of the day, laughter’s still there and The Dictator may not be that great of a film but it’s definitely one that is to watch out for – NOW!

Rating: 7.5 out of 10
    Starring: Sacha Baron Cohen, Anna Faris, Jason Mantzoukas
    Director: Larry Charles
    Distributed by United International Pictures and Solar Entertainment Corporation

In cinemas on July 25, 2012.

e81460227b7ea0b695324cb0da5fbc18.jpg

Discuss the movie at The Dictator thread
    The+Healing+official+poster.png

In the opening credits, when the 3D text of the movie title "The Healing" appeared and positioned itself against the mountains like the HOLLYWOOD billboard sign in L.A., you know that you're in for an interesting experience.

Seth (Vilma Santos) brings her stroke victim father (Robert Arevalo) to Manang Elsa (Daria Ramirez), a faith healer in an unspecified province. The following day, Seth’s father is already miraculously up and running, making up for lost time by urgently living vicariously, taking in young girls for lovers and creating a Facebook account. News of the miracle healing has quickly spread in Seth's neighborhood, and soon her ill neighbors and close friends (Pokwang, Ces Quesada, Ynez Veneracion, Cris Villanueva, Janice de Belen) are begging to be brought to Manang Elsa, including the seriously ill stepdaughter of her ex-husband Kookie (Kim Chiu). Same thing happens, they all get miraculously well. But their cure, unfortunately, did not come free after all - each one healed will pay a horrific price…and the "Star for All Seasons" has the key to save them.

Split into two versions (PG-13 and R-18/The Director's Cut) so that the general public can all enjoy the movie, Star Cinema's The Healing is horror-suspense laced with comedy. Director Chito Roño (Feng Shui; Sukob) and writer Roy Iglesias opted for a "fun" suspense flick, concocting a fast-paced storytelling meant to make scaredy cats jump from their cinema seats when they're not laughing at Pokwang or Seth's wild father. By the way, the Director's Cut, if you're curious, offers a right boob exposure and lots of bloody slayings, the graphic, gruesome violence not appropriate for the faint-hearted.

So, what of the narrative?

The plot itself is plain and simple enough to bring about its core entertainment: the string of horror and suspense that befalls each victim. However, if one follows the pattern of the killings, it has become inconsistent with the ultimate climax-- the scene with Kim Chiu. Her "different" case not explained; her horror different from the rest of the cast. Obviously, the different twist to her character aims to provide the audience with the element of surprise through deception, but still, it's not an excuse to change the story pattern without a valid narrative explanation. Yes, it succeeded in providing the audience with suspenseful scenes, but the more discerning audience would be distracted with the Why's. There are other essential factors disregarded for the sake of carrying the horror towards its end goal in an easy manner, which makes the Seth character either somewhat dense or not that concerned with her close friends. But then again, you are aware that it's the narrative that is a bit loose, purely concentrating on scaring you thus compromising important details.

070112_thehealing1.jpg

Vilma Santos and the rest of the cast deliver absorbing performances; Santos delivers a natural portrayal of her character albeit some minor, forgivable slips-- chasing her lines in the script, like losing her balance and being able to catch herself before she falls. But in the entirety, she exudes the matriarchal, kind-hearted role she portrays with ease.

The special effects are still a bit crude but passable, and the funny “crazy eye” thing takes away the horror factor, but both the editing and cinematography are impressive, the scene transitions smooth, and the camera angles aptly capturing all the essential scenes. But what is highly memorable in this movie is the art direction-- it uses that film technique of "complementing" the set's interior color scheme with the actors' costumes. This movie did not seem to understand the idea of this technique, and instead laughably dressed the actors in uniform color-- with matching props. The entire town is wearing white, then the next day blue, then red, and so on. Instead of creating a harmonious, aesthetically pleasing, complementary color palette in your eyes, the result is distracting, hilarious, and such an eyesore, even confusing one movie reviewer I’ve read, who wondered if the “Color of the Day” scheme is some kind of a town ritual.

In its entirety, The Healing is well-acted, engaging and as a matter of fact will not bore you one bit because of its gimmickry on suspense. If a solid narrative, and even art direction, is not really an issue to you and you are a Pinoy horror fan seeking for the Chito Roño brand of horror-suspense, then you will surely enjoy this movie. And, of course, if you are a “Solid Ate Vi” or a “Global Kim Chiu” fan, this movie will giddily entertain you to bits.

7 out of 10 stars

In Cinemas July 25, 2012

Discuss the movie here.
    dd1383fa1de71f83cd0c5045dd383105.jpg

Step Up Revolution is the fourth installment of the Step Up film series and every film brings about the usual dance routines that we came to admire every time we take the time to watch each one. Also known as Step Up 4: Miami Heat, this one is no different from exhibiting the coolest moves you’d probably only see on TV – or maybe not.

500102f78f047c2a91eed4f60551eee7.jpg

The film started with the crew called The Mob doing a flash mob in the street of Miami Beach in order to gain exposure online and win some cash and sponsorship. That maybe the only difference of the film amongst its first three installments; the crew is not technically competing with another crew. Then came Emily, an aspiring dancer who fell in love with Sean, the leader of The Mob and is also the daughter of the wealthy businessman who threatens to destroy the neighborhood where the Mob created their crew. With them being together, The Mob turned the art of dancing into a revolution that may change their lives in an instant.

3c7a242f8fb99fa4e88cdb5d4861d316.jpg

In this film, we get the usual salvo of great choreography and soundtrack. Again, you don’t need to pay attention to the acting department for it doesn’t have any at all. It is still the same-old predictable story that you don’t have to care about and you just merely have to wait for their dance sequences. I’ve been a fan of the franchise and I always say that I didn’t watch it to see an Oscar-worthy performance. I am watching it for its visuals. Again, it never did fail to impress me. Although, it’s a little less exciting than the last Step Up series – it’s still an amazing visual movie. There are still ooohhh moment especially the art museum sequence; I thought that was pure genius! Other than that though, the film lacks the energy of the last one.

Step Up Revolution is rather a good film to enjoy visually but it’s not a really great film in general. One may enjoy it the first time but the routine may get a bit old that you’d rather watch another film worth your money. I only watched it in 2D and the 3D version may give me a different perspectives but for now, I’d say that it’s an a-OK film.

Rating: 6/10
    Director: Scott Speer
    Starring: Kathryn McCormick, Ryan Guzman, Adam Sevani, Misha Gabriel, Peter Gallaghe / Distributed by Pioneer Films

e81460227b7ea0b695324cb0da5fbc18.jpg

In Cinemas August 1, 2012

Discuss the movie at the Step Up 4 Thread
    y6efru8i2rxnysh2.D.0.Step-Up-Revolution-Film-Wallpaper.jpg

Sean (Ryan Guzman) and his pal Eddy (Misha Gabriel) are the leaders of "The Mob" who are responsible of Miami street scenes. The group are having their dances recorded and uploaded to YouTube to gain 10 million views to win a big cash prize. Meanwhile Emily (Kathryn McCormick) is an aspiring dancer soon falls in love with Ryan but when her father threatens to develop the Mob's neighborhood they must work together to take their performance act into another level to save their place.

5016e5cc6629e.preview-620.jpg

Step Up Revolution still has the same formula in captivating the hearts of it's audience. Still having that crazy dance routines that will make you feel like dancing to the tune of their awesome soundtrack. And this film has nothing to do with the previous Step Up movies but expect some of the former stars to break some moves in the last number. The story was pretty much the same but they take away the dance competition storyline where a lot of crews battle for a championship title.

You'll enjoy the moves filled with energetic choreography. From the romantic tale between the leads to the exciting athleticism and incredible techniques from the dancers. Kathryn McCormick was pretty impressive with her graceful moves. She's much gorgeous today since the last time we saw her in Footloose. Ryan Guzman was good despite a lame acting job he has the skills and talent in dancing.

step_up_revolution_escalator_a_p.jpg

Overall if you love Step Up films there's no reason you wont love this one. From the jaw dropping opening sequence using colorful cars up to the dance finale, this movie is worth every cent. Were planning to see it again in 3D and experience the whole movie one more time. It's a great film, don't lean on to much with the story since it's a dance movie.

Rating: 9 out of 10 stars

Casts: Kathryn McCormick, Ryan Guzman, Misha Gabriel, Cleopatra Coleman

Directed By: Scott Speer
    Distributed By: Pioneer Films / Movie Punch
    Now Showing in 3D and 2D at your favorite cinemas

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

Discuss the movie at Step Up Revolution thread
    movieimage.jpg

Brave is Pixar’s first movie with a female lead and it’s about a princess. The princess fairytale genre is more associated with their parent company Disney, so it was interesting to find out how the acclaimed studio will handle this timeless genre. Brave delivers a straightforward story, it’s really simple at its core but they still somehow manage to make it stand out.

Princess Merida (Kelly McDonald) is the daughter of King Fergus (Billy Connoly) and Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson) of DunBroch, Scotland. Merida is a free-spirited girl who does not want to follow the rules her mother set so she would become ladylike as a future queen should be. A tournament was organized for the eldest sons of the three other ruling clans in the land to compete for Merida’s hand but she sabotages the event which led to an argument with her mother. Merida runs away and meets a witch (Julie Walters) who can make her wish come true: a spell to change her mother. But it was a change that she never expected and must now find a way to fix it before the spell becomes permanent.

Brave, unlike most Pixar films, is direct to the point; it has no underlying deeper themes or messages. It’s basically a story about a mother and a daughter. While the plot is not ambitious nor reinventing the wheelhouse, it’s still good as the message is heartfelt and sincere. The depiction of the mother-daughter relationship in Brave is poignant as it mirrors real life. It’s not telling anything new about parent-child conflicts but its message of open communication is strong and the way it was able to find a common ground between Merida and Elinor is well-played as they both learned something from one another.

It’s also refreshing to watch a fairy tale with no outright villain. Yes, there’s a witch but she’s not really evil and she’s basically just a plot device (and comic relief). There is also no prince charming or knight in shining armor to rescue the princess. After all, the princess is not a sweet, good girl that needs to be saved as Merida is a tough lass but her immaturity and impulsiveness led to the movie’s main conflict. While Merida’s comeuppance felt a little rushed, somehow in the end it all works out and you end up rooting for her to break the spell and get her family back.

The technical aspect of the movie is a marvel. From Merida’s vivid hair to the stunning landscapes to the detailed interiors, the animation in this movie showcases the level of visual craftsmanship Pixar is capable of. The musical score, which is based on traditional Scottish sounds and instrumentations, complements the lush scenery of the film and fully captures the medieval setting of the story. The voice performance is first-rate especially Kelly MacDonald who gave Merida a strong impression.

Brave may not be groundbreaking and mostly follows familiar plots of classic fairy tales, but it tells an immense story about mending family ties which will resonate to a lot of people. It undeniably offers a conventional story but it is well-executed that has a sense of humor and a big heart. Coupled with one of the most beautiful animations to date, Brave is what a family movie should be.

Rating: 9 /10
    Cast: Kelly Macdonald, Billy Connoly, Emma Thompson, Julie Walters
    Directed by: Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman
    Distributed by: Walt Disney Studios Philippines via Columbia Pictures Philippines

Now showing in 2D and 3D formats in theaters nationwide

5756494783_13ef5406da_m.jpg

Discuss the movie at the Brave thread

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file