Home PEx International Entertainment International Movies
Speak your mind, but mind what you post. Let's not spread disinformation and/or misinformation.

The Adjustment Bureau

forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
220px-The_Adjustment_Bureau_Poster.jpg

An up-and-coming congressman is drawn to a beautiful young dancer, but all his attempts at romance seem to be weirdly thwarted. He discovers that forces are conspiring to keep them apart, and the congressman quickly resolve to fight his own place in the world.

This movie will be shown here on March 4.

Comments

• forgforg Administrator PEx Moderator
    I had the chance to catch an advance screening of the movie courtesy of Pinoyexchange and my review of the movie is posted at Official PEx Movie Reviews thread :)
  • paddylastpaddylast PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^
    The Adjustment Bureau is one of the films on my cinema screening list. I was very much intrigued by its premise and I can't wait to see it next Friday. I love Emily and Matt's chemistry! BTW, How would you rate this film from 0-10? :) thanks.

P.S I think I'm not supposed to post anything on the official PEX movie review, @Forg pa-delete naman please :)
    ^Done ;)

I'll rate it 8 / 10. It's entertaining enough naman :)
  • TeamPExTeamPEx Administrator PEx Admin
    emily_blunt_ballet_in_TAB2.jpgelegant_emily_blunt_in_TAB.jpg

EMILY BLUNT is a world class ballerina in The Adjustment Bureau

Emily Blunt made her film debut in 2004 in Pawel Pawlikowski’s dark coming of age tale, My Summer of Love, a daring performance that won her a British Independent Film Award for Most Promising Newcomer. She says it is the only one of her films she recommends people to see. It also happens to be the one in which she spends most time naked.

“I’m really proud of it,” she says. “It’s not like any other movie.” She thinks for a second and adds with a laugh, “I don’t know why I’m broadcasting my breasts to the world. It’s a bit worrying.”

Now there is The Adjustment Bureau, written and directed by first-time director George Nolfi. Based on a story by Philip K ****, it asks whether we are in charge of our lives or whether unseen forces manipulate our destiny. Blunt plays Elise, a ballet dancer who falls for a charismatic politician (Damon) who is running for the US Senate. Agents of the shadowy Adjustment Bureau, led by Terence Stamp, are determined to keep them apart.

Nolfi had intended to cast a professional dancer in the role of Elise but, he says, “In one meeting Emily completely derailed my plans. I could tell immediately she was the one.”

Blunt was attracted by the script. “I’m not a fan of science fiction but Philip **** does the sort of science fiction that feels close to home and creeps into your subconscious,” she says. “He targets that paranoia that we all live with. Are we being manipulated? Are we being watched? There’s something threatening about his science fiction that I really enjoy,” she says.

Her biggest challenge was achieving the precision and form of a dancer. “I had never danced in my life. I told George I’d work my ***** off if he gave me the role but the training was unreal.

“I had eight weeks’ solid training before the movie and then throughout filming, anytime I could I was in the gym or the dance studio.”

How did you get the role of the dancer Elise Sellas?

It was virtually impossible to get a meeting with George Nolfi initially because he was only seeing dancers. Finally, 6 weeks after reading the script, I heard he was starting to talk to actresses, but when I saw him he made it clear to me that I was going to have a huge amount of training if I were to play this role. Then I screen-tested with Matt Damon and got it!

Did you have any previous experience in dancing?

Dancing was never really in the cards for me. I had no previous experience, so I found it very daunting.

Who helped you?

I trained with a revolutionary modern dance company called Cedar Lake that is brilliant. So, being treated with that tough love by a legitimate company, who didn’t want an actress misrepresenting what they do, helped me a lot. Before I knew it, we were shooting all the scenes. It is an amazing experience to do something every day that you are initially horrible at but slowly starts to come to you.

What did you learn about their lifestyle that you were unaware of before?

I learned that professional dancers live and breathe dance. That’s who they are. In this ballet troupe, they are an eclectic band of people from all over the world. I was surrounded by them every day and they really helped me figure out who Elise was.

In your eyes, who is Elise Sellas then?

She is a very self-assured and independent woman. She walks through life sort of batting away any intimacy until she meet David Norris.

What does she see in him?

She is immediately very intrigued. David is not fazed or intimidated by Elise. They instantly seem to have this kind of secret language. I truly believe they fall in love with each other in the bathroom when they first meet.

Do you believe in love at first sight?

Yes, I do. I believe you can have an instant connection with someone you desperately don’t want to let go of. I’m not sure if I would call it love at first sight, but I do believe a connection like that can happen in true life.

How does David change Elise’s life?

Before they met, dancing is who she was and how she identified herself. I don’t think Elise is someone who lets people that close to her. When David comes along, the fact that she is so drawn to him takes her by surprise. David fulfilled something in her life that was really missing.

How important is humor in the relationship?

I think it’s very important and a lot of their relationship is based on a shared sense of humor. A lot of the chemistry Matt and I had was through humor. We genuinely make each other laugh and that really translated into the scenes. You want the audience to be charmed by David and Elise as a couple.

What is Matt Damon like to work with?

Matt is the best! He is utterly authentic and laidback. He is very funny to be around. Matt is just such cool guy.

Did you improvise with him on set?

It was very helpful that George was not too precious with his script and let us improvise. He let us play with the dialogue and stretch scenes around to see what else we could find within them. And George is open to rewriting anything instantly, which is great.

You are also surrounded by quite an extraordinary supporting cast as the members of The Adjustment Bureau.

Yes, though Matt got to work with them more than me. They all made their characters believable.

This film marks George Nolfi’s debut as a director.

I knew he was a fantastic writer. It’s hard to believe this is his first film as a director. His greatest quality is that he is a collaborator. And having a previous friendship already with Matt really helped because he was very open to his ideas. There is a lot to learn if you are directing a movie for the first time, as you are usually on a set where your crew is much more experienced than you. George was like a sponge and soaked up all that experience. He was very willing to learn, but at the same time had a very clear vision of what he wanted the film to be. I see a bright future ahead for him as a filmmaker.

The Adjustment Bureau has a very unique look to it.

We were very lucky to have an Academy Award® winning cinematographer like John Toll as our director of photography. He gave the movie this great and very realistic look. It truly is like a love letter to New York.

Would you say New York is also a character in the movie then?

Yes, it is. I believe it was essential for it to be shot in New York. That added such a dynamic edge to the movie. There is something looming and ominous about the buildings that appear in the film that connect with the presence of the bureau.

How challenging was it to shoot through the streets of the city?

This film was exhausting for me to shoot, but I found the experience so rewarding.

What did you think of the film when you saw it finished?

I loved it! I liked the whole question of fate versus free will and the role of The Adjustment Bureau weren’t dealt with by George in a very heavy way, but with simplicity. The main thing I would like to hear from anyone that has seen the movie is that they were really rooting for this couple to succeed.

What is your opinion on the role that fate plays versus free will in our lives?

I believe I have experienced both. A lot depends on the choices you make, but then you also need some luck and magic out there too.

At its core The Adjustment Bureau is a love story.

It’s a fresh take on a love story. That’s what leapt up from the page at me when I first read the script. I thought it was really unique. I believe David and Elise, who before having met each other kind of felt lost and unfulfilled, find love in a few moments and nothing they have had with anyone else before compares to it.

And it’s also a film that is hard to box into a specific genre.

Maybe that’s what great about it and what makes it so unique.

“The Adjustment Bureau” is released and distributed by
    United International Pictures through Solar Entertainment Corp,
    Showing on MARCH 4, 2011
  • TeamPExTeamPEx Administrator PEx Admin
    matt_damon_campaining_in_TAB-1.jpgmatt_damon_on_podium_in_TAB-1.jpg

Matt Damon to star in a sci-fi, love story in The Adjustment Bureau

Matt Damon stars in sci-fi, love story, The Adjustment Bureau directed by George Nolfi. “loosely” based on a story by Philip K. ****. In The Adjustment Bureau, Damon plays a smooth talking congressman who has a serious future in national politics. He meets a beautiful ballerina, but is unable to make a connection with her due to strange and uncontrollable circumstances.

Damon’s interest was piqued by this tale of a man who stumbles on a vast, powerful and unseen world that exists on the periphery of our own. He told the filmmakers that if future drafts looked as good, he would be ready to join. “George has been a friend and collaborator for a long time,” notes Damon. “He brought this script to me that he’d written on spec…because he wanted to direct it. I was a big believer in him and felt he could do it.”

Nolfi took the opportunity to polish the idea before revisiting the project with Damon during The Bourne Ultimatum, which Nolfi also co-wrote. “I got the script to a place where I thought it was ready for Matt,” Nolfi says. “Once he said he was interested in being involved formally…it was a back and forth collaborative process.” Together, the colleagues had many philosophical conversations about the material; from these discussions came ideas that Nolfi used to improve the arc and build out his story.

Damon was impressed with the manner in which Nolfi expanded *****’s work and made it particularly relevant for a modern audience. The performer commends: “George was specific about everything - from the look of it to the types of people that he wanted to cast. He saw what he wanted to do with this piece.”

You got involved in this film fairly early on in the process. What was it about The Adjustment Bureau that made you want to be in it?

I thought the script was great. George Nolfi, whom I had worked with before, brought me an early draft and said: “What do you think?” I thought it was a really great idea and we started talking about it.

This is George Nolfi’s first movie as a director. After knowing him as a writer, what made you believe he was ready to take the leap into directing?

George started revising the script for this film while he was working as a writer on The Bourne Ultimatum. Seeing him do a lot of problem solving under pressure on The Bourne Ultimatum made me feel that directing The Adjustment Bureau was something he could handle pretty easily. So when we both found the right time in our schedules, we decided to go for it.

You play the politician David Norris. How do you see him?

David is a guy who has a great void in his life that he is filling with his political ambitions. Without knowing it, he is being groomed by The Adjustment Bureau to be the President of the United States. Into that life comes this woman who bowls him over and he decides he wants to spend the rest of his life with her.

Their love story is the core of the movie.

Yes, it is. I always told George that if the relationship between our two characters didn’t work the whole movie would fall apart. You have to really want them to be together.

What do you believe Emily Blunt brought to the role of the dancer Elise Sellas, the woman who changes David’s life?

We got very lucky with Emily because she is such a brilliant actress. She made Elise’s character so much more formidable and fleshed her out in a way that helped the whole relationship feel like a modern romance.

What can you say of the supporting cast that play the members of The Adjustment Bureau?

We were very lucky to get our first choice for every role, which is rare. We really ended up with the exact group we wanted and they made the movie what it is. People like John Slattery, Anthony Mackie and Terence Stamp are just great to work with.

John Slattery is Richardson, who is pursuing David Norris to make sure he stays on the track they have designed for him.

George Nolfi knew he wanted John Slattery from very early on. He even shot stuff with him on video to make sure some of the scenes worked.

Harry - played by Anthony Mackie- is also in the bureau.

Anthony Macke is a great actor and was the perfect choice for Harry.

Then you have Terence Stamp as Thompson, the toughest member of The Adjustment Bureau your character has to face.

We needed somebody with that kind of gravitas. When George and I were talking about who would be the right person for the role we would throw around names of people with real heft. Then one day he called me out of the blue and said: “What about Terence Stamp?” I thought he was the perfect pick for Thompson.

And you were surrounded by a solid crew.

George was very smart because he put together a crew that I would be lucky to get on my first movie. They all supported his vision for the film and had complete faith in him. We really had the top-flight group out of New York. The grip crew, for instance, was the same one I had later on True Grit with the Coen brothers. And then John Toll, whom I had worked with years ago on The Rainmaker, is just a great cinematographer.

New York is another character in the movie.

That’s something people say constantly about other movies, but in this case I believe it’s true. George wanted it that way and always talked about this film being a love letter to New York. Architecture is one of George’s hobbies so he would wander around the city to look at buildings. In the script all the locations were specific because he knew what he wanted for the movie. We shot everywhere!

It must be a luxury for an actor to shoot a film on location.

It is a rare treat, even though it can present certain challenges. For instance, when we shot at the foot of The Statue of Liberty all the tourists that were there that day got a front row seat to see a movie being made and would clap or cheer after every take!

What was it like to be running through the streets of New York City?

That was fun! The main thing for us to get right was the final chase sequence, which was shot over the course of three months. It was not easy. I actually pulled a hamstring at one point.

The Adjustment Bureau addresses the subject of the role fate plays versus free will in our lives. What is your take on that fascinating theme?

I always feel my decisions matter and that there is a consequence to everything I decide. I guess maybe to believe you are controlling your destiny is a good way to go through life. But when I look back at it and at some of the best things that have happened to me, I see that they have taken place through a series of consequences I had no control over. It makes me wonder if there was an Adjustment Bureau kind of guiding me along.

After a couple of encounters –first in the bathroom of a hotel and later on a bus- David Norris and Elise Sellas connect in a special way that changes their lives forever.

We knew those scenes were key in the film. We had to make everyone believe that David and Elise were really head over heels with each other after only those two brief encounters. So we worked hard on them. It’s always good to have a director who is also a writer because you have more flexibility to see what works best in the scene and even improvise on set.

Do you believe a connection like this can happen in real life?

I do, because I was certainly thunderstruck when I met my wife. I really believe it was love at first sight.

There is also humor in those moments between David and Elise.

I always think humor is an important element in every relationship. And in this case, it helps sell those scenes. One of the reasons why Emily is my friend is precisely because she makes me laugh. She has a great sense of humor. We laughed a lot during the shoot.

This may be the most romantic part you have played to this day.

Yes, I think it may be. That’s why we needed a great actress for the role of Elise. Even though it is inspired by Philip K. *****’s story, I see The Adjustment Bureau as less of a science fiction movie and more of a fantastic love story. I was excited to be in it because I had never done anything like that before.

So, what did you think of the movie when you finally saw it completed?

I am really happy with it. I love all the performances and I think it is very unique. The film has this great romance but also other elements I believe people will relate to. The concept that there is some force out there that might spill your coffee on you to re-route you during your day is something we have all thought about. And, ultimately, it is a really fun and entertaining movie to watch!

And it is a film that touches different genres…

Yes, that’s one of the things that attracted me to the movie and also worried me about it. I thought blending genres was a very ambitious thing to do on your first film but George Nolfi said he wanted to take a big swing with it, and he did!

“The Adjustment Bureau” is released and distributed by
    United International Pictures through Solar Entertainment Corp,
    Showing on MARCH 4, 2011
    Showing na this Friday, it's a fun movie :)
  • Not too much love for this movie, eh? I for one am waiting for this.

It's supposed to have already been shown last year, but they kept pushing back the opening date. I guess they didn't want to oversaturate the market with Matt Damon (he had a lot of movies last year), and I think they wanted to distance themselves from Inception as well, with the mind-bending plot and all.
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    Caught the advanced screening of UIP earlier and damn, MIXED EMOTIONS!

The first 70-80% of the movie was AWESOME. I loved the directing, the effects used, the characters worked for me - I LOVED it. I felt - how can this just get 71% on Rottentomatoes?!! It wasn't m!nd**** level, but "the plan" is such an interesting concept, and it was successfully interwoven with the romance. I loved it.

And then the next 20-30% happened. W. T. F. SHAME!!! I felt so bad because it could have been an overall awesome movie, but it all went to waste. My friend and I were talking about it - parang, tinamad na lahat dun sa last 20-30% part of the movie. Plot, pati SCORE, puro WTF.

Sigh.

I still recommend it for the first part though. Super worth it.
    just saw this last night at gateway cineplex.

I thought the whole first and second half of the film was a tad bit draggy. It's a bit long to be honest and I only enjoyed the first ten and the last 20 minutes of the film. I would still recommend it though, it's still a good film to lounge over for a couple of hours.

I'll give it a 6.5/10 ratings.
  • A few people I know had told me that the ending of this movie was not that good so I came to the cinema expecting that it had a terrible ending but that was not the case. I appreciate the plot of the movie because it was original. It's a love story cloaked in a concept of fantasy and sci-fi. It had some few dull moments but none the less it will still keep you glued to it until the end. As long as you don't expect it to be Inception like you would appreciate this movie. I do recommend this movie not because it can kill time but it's a really must watch if you're looking for something original; Story wise, concept wise, plot wise and the chemistry of Damon and Blunt was almost natural. They both really delivered together with Stamp.

Love conquers all and you do make your own destiny.

8/10 :D
  • PandaemonaeonPandaemonaeon Moderator PEx Moderator
    I'm probably in the minority since I really loved it :D

The "star-crossed lovers" trope has been done to death already (often times to mediocre results) but the sci-fi embellishment and the fantastic chemistry by the two leads convinced me and made it work. Admittedly the story had a lot of potential that was left untapped, but the movie was fine regardless.

The ending was indeed predictable (in the sense of how it turned out) but it was necessary — so they could get the Paulo Coelho metaphysical existentialism message across.
  • carlhirocarlhiro PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^

I loved it too.

Bet ko ang romantic science fiction thriller genre niya. And I really love the concept of the doors. Naaalala ko yung Monsters Inc. Hahaha.

8/10 din. :)
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    SPOILERS

I also liked the concept of the doors, but I *really* hated the use of the hat. Parang there could have been a more glamorous way of doing that. And then I didn't like the music during his 'run'. It kinda ruined it for me, though the shots were good.
    ^I agree. the shots are genius. that's one thing to appreciate on this film

and I totally agree about their undeniable chemistry. *kilig*
  • The story had a lot of holes. But since the heart of the story is the romance, Damon and Blunt were able to carry the movie. Their chemistry was undeniable. It is also good that both of them are good actors.
  • paddylast wrote: »

I'll give it a 6.5/10 ratings.

We gave it the same rating. But I posted my grade in the other thread (Last Movie Watched). :lol: