Home PEx Lifestyle Style and Fashion
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Scandal Against a Popular Designer

This is not yet confirmed so I'm not going to name names. A popular TV personality just tweeted that her friend went to this shop in Podium to buy a suit for the wedding. He paid 30K for the suit and when he got the suit, it had the tag of the popular designer.

But here's the thing - the suit had a tag of a brand that's sold in SM (for 3k plus). I saw the picture of the suit, and it did have both tags.

The brand has already denied it. They said that they have no idea how the tag got there. They're also claiming that they don't have the tags anymore for 2 years already. They also denied directly that it's not their suit because they don't have any records of the transaction. So it looks like someone is out to ruin their reputation.

We have the words of two respectable camps. Let's see what will happen next.

Comments

• blue_acidblue_acid PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    the said designer is puey :) it's all over facebook and twitter with matching pictures pa
  • 1297912964-bobon-puey-quinones.jpg

http://www.spot.ph/newsfeatures/47647/the-lowdown-on-the-alleged-puey-quinones-fashion-scam-quinones-to-release-a-statement-today

The lowdown on alleged Puey Quinones "fashion scam;" Quinones apologizes in his statement
    Published: February 17, 2011

UPDATED (February 17, 1 p.m.): Fashion designer Puey Quinones released a statement today on StyleBible.ph regarding the suit scandal (see below) that went viral this week. "I was simply pressured to create a suit and found a perfect blank canvas to develop. I know the entire situation could have been handled better but now it has just been blown out of proportion and affected so many others."

Quinones apologized to the couple whom he sold the suit to and "to everyone else that have raised concerns over the quality of (his) service as a designer." He said he is "in contact with the party involved and (intends) to settle this peacefully." He added, "I am doing all that I can to make sure that this does not happen again."

PUBLISHED (February 17, 11:19 a.m.): An alleged "fashion scam" has been the talk of social networking sites since TV host Kat de Castro Tweeted a photo of a double-labeled suit on February 14. The beige suit in the photo carried the labels Bobon by Puey Quinones and the off-the-rack brand Dansen.

De Castro Tweeted, "The designer asked 30k for this suit. Pero bakit may Dansen tag? Sa SM ito di ba? Napeke kaya yung friend ko? (But why is there a Dansen tag? Isn't that from SM? Was my friend duped?)" She added, "The designer should really explain why was there a Dansen tag in his so-called original suit."

According to de Castro, a friend of hers had the suit made for a wedding to be held in less than two weeks. She later Tweeted, "Designer update: He asked my friend to give back the Dansen suit but also give him time to create a new one. Wow."

Shortly after the photo made the rounds on Twitter, Facebook and other social networking sites, Bobon released a short statement saying the "fashion scam" is "not a registered and official Bobon transaction."

A few hours later, Bobon released another statement that read: "We wish to clarify that BOBON is not in any way involved in the design, production or sale of the suit in the photo, or the affixing of the 'BOBON by Puey Quinones' label to the suit."

Bobon said they used the label "Bobon by Puey Quinones" in 2008 but they discontinued it more than a year ago. All Bobon pieces have been labeled "BOBON" since 2010, they said.

"We have used every effort to reclaim and destroy these old labels (Bobon by Puey Quinones). We are certain that this suit was not purchased by the owner from or through BOBON. All BOBON pieces are sold exclusively at or through the BOBON store at The Podium and we have no record of this transaction," the statement reads.

Bobon also said they "started as a collaboration with a single designer in 2008" but it has since "grown into a collective effort involving several Filipino designers." They maintained that "BOBON is not affiliated with any one designer."

Today, de Castro Tweeted, "My friend went straight to the designer, not Bobon." She said Quinones promised her friend "a refund, pero (but) two gives. Needless to say, my friend went to another designer for help."

The TV host also Tweeted, "I never thought many people would react to it (the photo). All I wanted was to help a friend out. Sana hindi na mangyari ulit (I hope this doesn't happen again)."
  • Here's the complete statement of Quiones on Stylebible.ph:

http://www.stylebible.ph/fashion/style-report/the-dansen-debacle

THE DANSEN DEBACLE
    We hear from Puey Qui?ones about the suit scandal.
    By Jae Pickrell Feb 17, 2011

Last Tuesday, a scandal made the rounds of social networking sites Twitter and Facebook, which involved an engaged couple and a Filipino designer who reportedly scammed them. Based on the threads, the story is as follows.

The groom, Jhon Maala, ordered a custom-made suit from designer Puey Qui?ones for his wedding to Shea Gamboa. After several arduous tries to meet with the designer for fittings, in which the latter frequently did not show up, a suit was finally delivered to Maala, for which he was charged P30,000. But he discovered it was not what he had ordered. He received a suit carrying two labels: BOBON by Puey Qui?ones, and a Dansen care label tucked into the suit jacket's hidden pocket. (Dansen is a brand carried by SM Department Store.)

Kat de Castro, a dear friend of Maala and Gamboa, posted the following photo of the jacket in question on her Twitter account with the caption: "The designer asked 30k for this suit. Pero bakit may Dansen tag? Sa SM ito di ba? Napeke kaya yung friend ko?"

The fiasco quickly spread online, with Chuvaness retweeting de Castro's post and Michael Lim uploading the photo on his Facebook account together with a photo of an unaltered Dansen suit, intact with the Dansen logo and care label, which retails for P3,300. Lim's post generated over a hundred comments, some of which hint at other malpractices by other designers.

Maala and Gamboa are undoubtedly upset about the situation, but they have already taken steps to resolving the issue. "I talked to Puey already and we're trying to fix everything legally and emotionally," Maala says in the Facebook thread.

Gamboa has also absolved BOBON, commenting, "To the owner of Bobon... just want to let you know that the transaction was between the couple and the designer. So don't worry. You're out of this." BOBON has also issued an official statement, declaring that "BOBON is not in any way involved in the design, production or sale of the suit in the photo, or the affixing of the 'BOBON by Puey Quinones' label to the suit."

Qui?ones, meanwhile, has expressed his regret in an email to this writer. "I have been so stressed by this issue and I hope that this statement will finally bring an end to all of this. I just want to move on and focus on more worthwhile things in life."

The following is Qui?ones's official statement and public apology:

Regarding the recent ?fashion scam?, I regret that all this happened. First and foremost, I would like to apologize to the couple for all the trouble that it has caused them.

I was simply pressured to create a suit and found a perfect blank canvas to develop. I know the entire situation could have been handled better but now it has just been blown out of proportion and affected so many others.

I assure all concerned that I am doing the best that I can to fix this situation. I have been in contact with the party involved and intend to settle this peacefully.

To the couple who brought attention to this matter and to everyone else that have raised concerns over the quality of my service as a designer... I am sorry.

I am doing all that I can to make sure that this does not happen again.

Thank you for your understanding and for your concern.

We hope Maala, Gamboa, and Qui?ones will resolve this issue peaceably, and that both parties will move on with strength and courage from this unfortunate incident. We also hope that this fiasco will be a deterrent to delinquent designers who do not always practice proper business ethics. The Philippine fashion industry is gifted withtoo many truly talented and hardworking designers to be besmirched irrevocably.
  • Now everyone else who bought a suit from Qui?ones will be looking for a Dansen tag in the pocket.
  • Will dig up my old Dansen shirt. Baka may Puey Quinones tag dun somewhere lol!
  • I was simply pressured to create a suit and found a perfect blank canvas to develop. I know the entire situation could have been handled better but now it has just been blown out of proportion and affected so many others.

Holy [email][email protected][/email]n out of proportion? Let's see..someone ordered a CUSTOM suit from him..he chose to buy a "blank canvas to develop"..and he had the guts to charge them for 30k?

He's being crucified and rightfully so. Who knows kung gaano katagal na niya ginagawa to?
  • gosh malamang matagal na niyang ginagawa yan
    shameless
  • Walang hiya naman yung designer na yan. Well the best revenge is for the public not to patronize the designer's products. :(
  • It's a shame though. My friend is friends with this designer. Sabay daw sila nag-sikap 11 years ago to be where they are right now. Talaga daw nagsimula sa wala to. Tapos dahil sa katamaran at sa kagustuhan maka-isa, sira career niya.
  • anima9anima9 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    lol good thing i buy dansen products. so that means dansen is actually at par with their items? :lol:

so much for getting what you paid for :lol: nasa quality pa rin ang presyo, not the other way around :D
  • Isn't this the truth about fashion? It's all about the brand. An ugly pants can become a great pants by just looking at the brand. A lot of my "sosyal" friends look at the brand of the product first before they give an opinion if it's good or not.

Imagine, if only he remembered to switch the tags, his 3k suit becomes a 30k suit.
  • It's a shame though. My friend is friends with this designer. Sabay daw sila nag-sikap 11 years ago to be where they are right now. Talaga daw nagsimula sa wala to. Tapos dahil sa katamaran at sa kagustuhan maka-isa, sira career niya.

Wow. Thank you for that information. And also for starting this thread. *okay*

Wala bang official statement ang Dansen? :lol:
  • Hahaha, damn, Dansen's getting massive publicity from this! :D
  • lol. To be fair, okay naman talaga ang quality ng Dansen. I remember buying shirts from them (though years ago na). :lol:
  • I was simply pressured to create a suit and found a perfect blank canvas to develop. I know the entire situation could have been handled better but now it has just been blown out of proportion and affected so many others.

What a STUPID reason! Magsisinungaling lang, sablay pa! He now has himself to blame for "blowing it out of proportion."

What did he have to "develop?" What blank canvass is he talking about? This is not a cut-and-paste activity. Mandadaya lang sya, di pa marunong gawin ng maayos! :)

Moral of the story: just go to tailors like Bergamo (no necessarily saying they're the best) simply because they are in the business of making suits. P30,000 will surely get you a nice one.
  • I say buy suits in Debenhams and Marks and Spencer when they're on sale (usually January, June, August). Their suits can go low as P3,000 and you can just ask your tailor or neighborhood modista to alter it to fit your frame.
  • ^Or just go to Kamuning. Madaming "designers" na dun nag-o-outsource ng works nila.

I had my wedding tuxedo done there. 13k Armani wool. Kumpleto na with vest ang shirt.
  • Bigla ko tuloy naalala yung blind item sa kanya ng Juicy. Haaaay. Sayang ang name!
  • ^Or just go to Kamuning. Madaming "designers" na dun nag-o-outsource ng works nila.

I had my wedding tuxedo done there. 13k Armani wool. Kumpleto na with vest ang shirt.

That's the best way to go for quality suits. Find a good tailor, give a detailed picture of the suit you want, and provide your own quality fabric.

There is a downside to this. Pinoys are very brand conscious. They have no idea what fashion is. They base it on the brand, not on how it looks or the quality of fabric. When they wear clothing, it's not because it looks good, they wear it because of the brand name. You could see a lot of ridiculous looking photos on this forum. They have no idea it looks ridiculous because the illusion of the brand name made them think they look cool. Buying a Dansen suit and replacing the label works too.
  • ExtraJoss wrote: »
    That's the best way to go for quality suits. Find a good tailor, give a detailed picture of the suit you want, and provide your own quality fabric.

There is a downside to this. Pinoys are very brand conscious. They have no idea what fashion is. They base it on the brand, not on how it looks or the quality of fabric. When they wear clothing, it's not because it looks good, they wear it because of the brand name. You could see a lot of ridiculous looking photos on this forum. They have no idea it looks ridiculous because the illusion of the brand name made them think they look cool. Buying a Dansen suit and replacing the label works too.

Yes, totally agree. Not to add insult to injury but I think it was a poor decision to seek this "designer", or any other designer for a suit. Was it so if you're asked "who are you wearing?", you could blurt out a name? But if really want one, top of mind would have been Randy Ortiz or Joey Samson.

I'm never a fan of off-the-rack for 2 reasons: 1. they don't fit 100%, thus requiring expensive alterations, and 2. i can't fit in any. :)