Home PEx Campus De La Salle University

Bachelor of Arts in International Studies major in Japanese Studies (AB-ISJ)

There isn't much info on this course on the DLSU site. I am seriously considering taking this up, but I'm just wondering if anyone else is doing it, or if you guys know anyone who is taking it up. How is it? How are the teachers/profs? How long is this course? and.. hmm.. what else... how much is the tuition?

Many thanks in advance! :love:

Comments

• can this course be finished in 9 terms?
  • well yeah.. thanks for the bump =p
    maybe someone who knows will answer soon.. :naughty:
  • kerokaeru wrote: »
    can this course be finished in 9 terms?
    I'm not an ISJ student (I'm taking up ISE), but I do know someone who's taking it up now. I think you can finish this course in 3 years (or 9 terms). Some people when asked why they took ISJ would say they wanted to learn more about the Japanese language, culture, and so on. But I have to say, it isn't all about the culture and the language. The Int'l Studies department concentrates more on the the relations of different countries in the international arena, their politics, current events and theories. As for the teachers, they are okay. I can't comment on everyone of them so you'd have to find out for yourself or in any case, ask again if you already know who your specific profs are. :)

PS: There might be differences in subjects since I'm a european studies major. :)
  • marketing management is my second choice.

say i get accepted for my first choice (AB-ISJ) and maybe after a month or so i find that i don't really like the course for whatever reason, will i have problems transferring to marketing management, or would it be a relatively easy process.. depending on factors such as my CET results, recommendations, etc. ?
  • hafi yifi yehey
  • I'm ISJ :)

Tama yung sinabi nung taga ISE na hindi lang puro culture at language ang ISJ. Sa totoo lang, mukha siyang madali pero mahirap siya. Ang hirap ng JAGOPOL, Japanese Government and Politics. The structure of their government, and the civil society involvement is quite understandable but the analysis that you have to get from the readings is something else. In truth, elimination process kaming ISJ. Originally mga 30 kami. As of the moment, you can count ilan na lang ang ISJ na regular, maraming pinapaabot ng 4 years yung course kasi nga natatakot sa majors. Kasama ng mga irreg at regular, mga 20 something na lang kami, at may mga aalis pa. So yeah.

Kaya ng 9 terms sure! :) I only have 3 terms left, pero I still have a lot of majors to take hahahaha :))

Also, the JAPALA (Japanese Language) courses get more challenging as it passes by. JAPALA1 of course is the easiest, but the sentence patterns get more complicated, and your conversational skills are also honed. For me, by JAPALA5 (there are 7 JAPALAs), I can converse in nihongo na. You can talk to Japanese people na talaga, then you can just say "すみません、私の日本語をまだまだですから、もう一度言ってもいいですか。” (I'm sorry but my japanese is not that good yet, so can you please say it again) or「すみません、英語で言ってもいいですか。」(I'm sorry, can you please say it in English?) if your nihongo's still no that good. They'd understand naman:)

I think I'm scaring you too much :)) being an ISJ student is FUN, seriously :) you get to learn and understand heck a lot of things about Japan--why they're so economically successful, why do they not have a military but only have a self-defense force and all that stuff. It's very interesting really, if you LOVE (I'll emphasize again--LOVE) Japanese culture :)

Do you have other questions? I'd try to answer them to the best of my abilities :)

[EDIT] Oh yes, tuition. Frosh year, magprepare ka na ng 55k max (109 ako, so di ko na alam kung magkano ngayon with the PE and the lab subjects) Second year, 52k max na with LASARE and PERSEF:) 18 units is around 45k--full load na yan. I think that'll carry over until third year. second year pa lang ako eh :))))

EDIT #2: Also, if you're not serious with ISJ, I suggest you not taking it at all. For me, I take it as an insult na parang hindi siniseryoso yung something as serious as this. Yeah, Japan lang yung focus nung course pero with the analysis done and yung iba pang majors, it still gives you a wide view on global affairs. It's still very multi-faceted. Like right now, Japan's position in the Asia-Pacific Region is quite interesting with the rise of China. That topic doesn't only entail Japan and China, it also includes other actors like US and its role. At saka, sayang lang sa pera at oras. by first year second term, may major ka na--JAPALA1 tapos sunod sunod na yan. Kasi pag ginamit mo lang ISJ para makapasok ng DLSU...parang lumalabas na ang dali ng ISJ. pero sa totoo lang hindi :D Petix siya talaga at first. Take your majors, it's a completely different story.
  • kerokaeru wrote: »
    can this course be finished in 9 terms?

you can finish it in 9 terms kung wala kung di ka mededelay at di ka babagsal :)
  • SUPER TAMAAAAAAA. You have to have passion if you want to take ISJ. :)
  • SUPER TAMAAAAAAA. You have to have passion if you want to take ISJ. :)

That's the hard part in being an ISJ student. If your passion dwindles, you're dead :P
  • Di ako *** pero masaya yung JAPALA1 and 2 experience ko (oo, masaya talaga kapag kay Ms. Leigh Lim, palagi may culture day XD). I'm from CCS and I took JAPALA para sa elective.

Galing mo mag Kanji. Sumimasen lang naintindihan ko:/
  • kay narealize ko super dami kong mali! hahaha

1. I'm an ISJ student. =)) Parang si Marian Rivera lang na Psychology ako.HAHAHAHA SUPER FAIL MOMENT.

2.私の日本語まだまだですから. wrong particle! :))

@jujee: Ms Lim handles JAPALA1 for both ISJ and non-ISJ students. :) she's very kind talaga! daming plus points and all. ^^ Thanks btw :) Some of the kanji that I used are in JAPALA3 or 4 na eh :))
  • marketing management is my second choice.

say i get accepted for my first choice (AB-ISJ) and maybe after a month or so i find that i don't really like the course for whatever reason, will i have problems transferring to marketing management, or would it be a relatively easy process.. depending on factors such as my CET results, recommendations, etc. ?
    If ever you wanna shift from ISJ to Marketing Mgt then you'll have to take an exam to determine your eligibility. May exam siya kasi you'll be transferring from ***(ISJ) to COB(Marketing). But don't change your mind just as quickly, you may regret shifting. (IS is really exciting! :))
  • question po... pag nag graduate ako sa course na to, may ideas po ba kayo kung ano yung mga job opportunities? Thank you! :)
  • mag ooffer ba ng JAPALA1 sa 3rd term and JAPALA2 sa summer?
  • ihcahiehihcahieh PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    _hyebinah I sent you a PM with questions regarding the course. I hope you could answer them because I really need insights from a student of the program. Thanks!
  • Ask ko lang. Paano kapag magshshift palang ako from lia-com to ab-isj sa 3rd term, most likely talagang mededelay ako ng 1 year? Hindi kasi offered iyong japala1 sa 3rd term e. I doubt may ganito sa summer. Nakuha ko kasi iyong flowchart e 2nd term lang talaga may japala1...? :(
  • 皆さん、こんばんは。フォオラムが面白いですね。私は大学院の学生です。

I hope people will still continue to talk about it and I hope to meet you sometime in school. :)

頑張ってくあださい。

ケビン
  • @gabrage Hi. I'm an upcoming frosh and I'd like to know what's AB-ISE all about. Is it really hard? Do the career preferences pay high in terms of wages? I passed the Dlsucat and I'm planning to study in Dlsu.
  • Hello. Is its possible for a BSE (Bachelor of Secondary Education) English major like me to transfer to AB in International Studies, Major in Japanese Studies in DLSU? Ma ccredit kaya yung pinag-aralan ko dati kahit hindi gaanong related yung course ko dati sa gusto kong kunin na course? Thank you sa reply
  • Hi po! I'm an incoming freshie (Gr 12 palang), I'm interested in taking ISJ and BS in Marketing Management. It's currently within the ABM tracks in La Salle. How different is the program when dalawa ang course? 
    (AB in International Studies Major in Japanese Studies) versus (AB in International Studies Major in Japanese Studies and BS in Marketing Management)