Home PEx International Entertainment General Entertainment
COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance.

FRENCH FILM FESTIVAL

schedule of french film festival at the shangri-la plaza (June 8 to June 18):

http://www.pworld.net.ph/~alliance/frenchspring/cine.html

marami ring french films na pinapalabas ang Alliance Fran?aise de Manille. website nila ay:

http://www.pworld.net.ph/~alliance/start.htm

sorry, naunahan kita noel. ;)

Comments

• krovekrove PExer
    Friday, June 8 : Official Opening (by invitation c/o French Embassy)
    7pm- Le Goût des Autres

Saturday, June 9
    2pm- Asterix et Obelix
    5pm- Indochine
    8pm- Taxi

Sunday, June 10
    2pm- La Fille sur le Pont
    5pm- Est-Ouest
    8pm- Salsa

Monday, June 11
    2pm- Indochine
    5pm- Place Vendôme
    8pm- Code Inconnu

Tuesday, June 12
    2pm- Le Goût des Autres
    5pm- Une Affaire de Goût
    8pm- Taxi

Wednesday, June 13
    2pm- Code Inconnu
    5pm- Indochine
    8pm- Asterix et Obelix

Thursday, June 14
    2pm- Salsa
    5pm- La Fille sur le Pont
    8pm- Merci pour le Chocolat

Friday, June 15
    2pm- Taxi
    5pm- Une Affaire de Goût
    8pm- Est-Ouest

Saturday, June 16
    2pm- Indochine
    5pm- Merci pour le Chocolat
    8pm- Place Vendôme

Sunday, June 17
    2pm- Salsa
    5pm- Taxi
    8pm- Une Affaire de Goût

Monday, June 18
    2pm- Salsa
    5pm- Place Vendôme

goto http://www.mrqe.com to check out the reviews
  • it would be good to check this out (granted may subtitles...i don't understand french)

:cow::spinstar:
  • Noel VeraNoel Vera PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Sorry naunahan kita Noel"

Oks lang, basta nalabas ang balita.

Recommendations of Renaud Fessaguet, director of Alliance Francais are:

Le Goût des Autres - this I think is his favorite

Est-Ouest -this I've heard of.

Salsa -this I've also heard of

Merci pour le Chocolat - from Claude Chabrol, a New Wave master in the tradition of Alfred Hitchcock.

Enjoy.

"i don't understand french"

Hindi kailangang i-understand. Ang sarap pakinggan, kahit wa comprendes. And everyone, I'm sure, understands Frenching.
  • I urge everyone who likes good films to go and see INDOCHINE. I saw this movie this year at the UP Film Center and features the luminous talent and ageless beauty of Catherine Deneuve. She was great in this film and her good loooks reminds one of Kiri Te Kanawa so much. For cinematic comparisons, she is like Isabella Rossellini in David Lynch's BLUE VELVET who always looks great and incandescent no matter what pain and humiliation she went through courtesy of Dennis Hopper.

This film was done 1993. Deneuve was Oscar-nominated that year but lost to Emma Thompson in HOWARDS END.

I heard about EST-OUEST, too.

Can't wait for this filmfest.
  • Sir Noel, anong mga sponsor na alak???
    hehehe
    "anong sponsor ng alak?"

Malay ko, pero there's plenty sa opening night, hint, hint.
  • (bump) The film fest starts tomorrow! Free admission, everyone! So, who's going? PEX Movie Club people, any plans?

For those interested in the film fest's movie photos and plot summaries, check out this page.
  • Une Affaire de Goût: weird, but in a good way... :up: :up:

taxi: luc besson film. i recommend this to action movie lovers :up: :up:
    Taxi is not by Luc Besson but by Girard Pires.

But it is action comedy.
    My reviewo of Le Gout des Autres

Bad Taste

Noel Vera

"Le Gout des Autres" (It Takes All Kinds / The Taste of Others)

Directed by Agnes Jaoui

Agnes Jaoui's "Le Gout des Autres" (titled "It Takes All Kinds" for this festival, but better known as the more literal "The Taste of Others") was France's Best Foreign Film candidate for this year's Academy Awards and opens this year's French Spring Film Festival. As opening films go, it's not bad--light and fluffy, with a few kernels of pain in the fluffiness to give it texture and crunch, the way the French like it.

It's a series of stories, deftly folded into each other. The main thread concerns Castella (Jean-Pierre Bacri), an industrialist trying to sign a deal with an Iranian company. Castella wants to learn English, and asks a tutor named Clara (Anna Alvaro) to help him; when he learns that she expects him to really apply himself to the language (she refuses to speak to him in French), he fires her. Later, he watches a theatrical production of Racine's "Berenice," and is smitten by a lovely, ravaged woman, talking of a hopeless, all-consuming love; this, as it turns out, is Clara, transformed by makeup and spotlights and the art of acting. He asks her back to teach him English, and woos her timidly over cups of coffee and pastries.

Parallel to this is the story of Castella's straightforward bodyguard, Moreno (G?rard Lanvin). He meets Manie (Ms. Jaoui, doubling as actress), an attractive, carefree barmaid who works at the caf? next to Clara's theater and happens to be Clara's friend. Manie tends to change lovers the way other women change shoes; her income as barmaid is supplemented by the hash she sells at her apartment door. Manie would like to quite her career in amateur pharmaceuticals to take up a full-time career as Moreno's wife; problem is, there are things about Moreno that bother her--his insistence that she act like a traditional housewife, and his intense dislike of her drug dealing.

It's all a matter of taste, as the director and her husband--Bacri, who aside from playing Castella also helped her write the script--would probably insist. Clara finds Castella too boorish; Manie finds Moreno too conservative. And just to provide sharper contrast, Castella's wife Angelique (Christina Millet) is an amateur interior decorator trying to renovate the apartment of Castella's sister, and she's having a nightmare of a time. Angelique is full of ideas about warm colors and flower designs and all the poor sister can think of (she's just separated from her husband and appears shellshocked) are green walls.

Like sister, like brother: Castella, who can safely be said to be the central figure of the film, is the kind of Frenchman who tells jokes involving vomit and **** in face-cream jars, and calls unappreciative art buyers "*****." When it comes to tact and sensitivity he's a walking disaster area, one whom Clara's friends mercilessly tease with subtle jokes that fly over his head, then sit silently by while he pays for everyone's dinner.

He's the last person in the world Clara--who's skittish anyway when it comes to men--would be attracted to; you know that when revelation finally dawns on both of them, it's going to be an awful, painful moment, with embarrassment clogging everyone's throats. Jaoui and Bacri, as writers and actor creating this character, skillfully juggle your feelings towards him--nauseating waves of pity cut by a sharp sense of contempt, topped by a dollop of I-can't-help-it fascination.

And it's not as if Clara was the villain: she's lonely, she's vulnerable, she's spikily afraid of human contact, and she has intelligent good taste--something, Jaoui and Bacri make you realize, that can be as much of a curse as having poor taste. If she is repelled by Castella it's in her nature, and nothing she can change with just a snap of the fingers.

It's not a great film or even a particularly brilliant one, and as far as French films go, you may feel as if you've seen this one one time too many. It also doesn't have the kind of outr? imagination Jaoui and Bacri brought to their work for Alan Resnais, in his recent "On Conna?t la Chanson (Same Old Song, 1997). On the other hand, "Le Gout" doesn't need to be as outr? (Resnais' film felt like an emotionally lightweight version of the TV screenplays of Dennis Potter); it's precisely observed, lightly played, with just the right amount of suffering involved. It rises like a correctly executed souffl?.

(Comments? Email me at [email protected])
    Also, Code Inconnu by Michael Hanecke is highly recommended.
  • Originally posted by Noel Vera
    Also, Code Inconnu by Michael Hanecke is highly recommended.

I was leafing through the UK-based "The Independent" and saw a review of CODE INCONNU. While ingeniously executed, the reviewer felt that Hanecke did not really know his subject matter at all despite an Altman-ish mesh of stories. He went as far as criticize the idea of making Juliette Binoche laugh in one scene (and nitpicked other scenes) and not fully resolving the conceit of that one scene. The reviewer said something like: Hanecke should have provided a clearer premise for this scene inorder for it not to come out like an exploitation of an actress' range (he used the word "show-off").

Most movie reviews compel me to watch the film for the very reasons why we (filmgoers) should stay away from it, but for some strange reason, the review hit a "cinematic" nerve that made me think twice before watching this film. Any thoughts?

I already made arrangements in my office to be off at odd hours so I can watch all French films. With nothing really TRAFFIC-like in local cineplexes, the French filmfest is oasis to a near-drought. I just wished they included UNDER THE SAND in the line up (I think I am in love with Charlotte Rampling).

Noel, this is an off topic question, but do you remember that French actress who was with Isabelle Huppert and Jacqueline Bisset in a film (whose title I forgot) where she plays an illiterate househelp in Bisset's household. Only to kill all the member of Bisset's family while watching opera on TV, with the aid of Huppert? I was thinking it was Sandrine Bonnaire, but not sure. She was incredibly pretty, that's why. Sorry for picking your brains. I loved EST-OUEST this afternoon (I just wished people should turn their cell phones off and let the audience watch a film without hearing a SINGLE metallic and supersonic sound).
    You might want to check out Code Inconnu anyway. Not that I know better (I haven't seen it), but I have a natural distrust of critics (yep, you heard right). I'd rather see for myself.

So East West is good? Good. Missed everything today, make up for it in the coming week.
    I forgot to answer your question. Isabbelle Huppert starred in Claude Chabrol's La Ceremonie, a nasty little paranoia-inducing thriller, opposite Sandrine Bonnaire. Good looking? Yes, I suppose...but I've seen Bonnaire in Vagabond. She's what Jennifer Jason Leigh would like to be but actually lacks the guts to try...an actress that will stop at nothing to get the truth out of her performance. It's a little frightening to watch.
  • Thank you very much. At about the same time I was asking about LA CEREMONIE, a friend (who I watched LA CEREMONIE with) texted me and asked if Sandrine Bonnaire was even more alluring in EST-OUEST. Thanks again. It was paranoia-inducing, yes. I remembered feeling that after watching another one L'ENFER with Emmanuelle Beart. Verges on the scary.

I like Jennifer Jason Leigh, by the way. Just when I thought she was already burnt out, she gave a subtle performance in WASHINGTON SQUARE. Reminded me why I respected her in the first place.

Am watching CODE INCONNU tonight at 8pm. Hope people will leave their cell phones in their cars this time!
    Code Inconnu by Michael Haneke is terrific, perhaps the best film in the festival.

It's difficult to watch, intellectually challenging, playful with form, narrative, and our emotions.

Excellent film. First French film in a long time that made me sit up and pay attention.
  • huling araw ng Le Goût des Autres sa Shang bukas, 2:00 pm...

• I watched CODE INCONNU last night to a capacity audience. After a few minutes, there was conspicuous fidgeting from the people seated near us and other people left the theatre in a puff.

Funny but the things that came to my mind while watching the movie were not films but novels, specifically Susan Minot and Alduous Huxley. Or more specifically Huxley's BRAVE NEW WORLD and Minot's MONKEYS. The film captured moments in anyone's lives and did not make excuses whether its understood, or if the senses are assailed by the rapid succession of unrelated images. If my senior colleague in the University would have it, its semiotics. The images. The dramatic use of silence. The many languages. The landscape that shapes people's identities.

The one very powerful scene was the verbal humiliation of Binoche in the Metro. Its as if Mike Leigh was there during its filming. The one movie that I recalled that has the same langourous pace and the use of Minot's "moments" was Mike Figgis' THE LOSS OF SEXUAL INNOCENCE.

Watched UN AFFAIRE DE GOUT and LE GOUT DES AUTRES. I find the first one dark and disturbing but beautifully told and convincingly acted, and the second one, engaging. I told my sister that LE GOUT DE AUTRES makes me feel good for feeling good.

I still have five more films to watch!
    Place Vendome--I only saw the last twenty minutes, but what I saw looked like very slow Hitchcock...diamond smuggling done by people overdosing on Quaaludes.

Code Inconnu I believe takes its cue from its title, "Code Unknown," and from its first scene, of a young girl trying to communicate something emotional and intense via mime to a group of friends, both girl and friends being deafmutes. I think it's about a breakdown of communications, and you see effects of that breakdown in any number of ways--in the way Juliette Binoche fails to connect with her boyfriend, in the way (SPOILERS) she throws her old boyfriend for a new one (the only hint is in the change of her door code, which is now unknown to her old bf), in the way, as mentioned above, the young Arab fails to communicate with Binoche and vice versa.

Yet by the film's end, we see the same group of deafmutes drumming to a very complex beat, using the feel of the drum vibrations to coordinate. These kids, whom you expect to have the most trouble communicating, are doing just fine with each other...tho the drumbeat carries on to the different other people in the film, showing us how they fail to accomplish what these kids have accomplished.

Interesting film, possibly brilliant.
  • Originally posted by Groucho
    I watched CODE INCONNU last night to a capacity audience. After a few minutes, there was conspicuous fidgeting from the people seated near us and other people left the theatre in a puff.

isa na ako doon. dahil sobrang masikip eh. pero papanoorin ko mamaya ito... last day na niya ngayon eh... :)

sayang ang Le Goût des Autres... hindi ko napanood. maipapalabas pa kaya ito sa u.p. film center?

sayang.