Home PEx Sports PBA
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers! 🎅

Worst Fil-Am to Play in the PBA… EVER.

sydrifiedsydrified PEx Rookie ⭐
Some players arrived in the country and made famous of their arsenals in the PBL. Some used the MBA as a stepping-stone.

And then there were the guys that were virtual unknowns that became instant stars. Mark Caguioa is the best example. All of a sudden there were various “Caguioa” clones in the league like Brandon Cablay, and Alex Cabagnot.

We call them busts because we see them play and we hate how they deliver. Sure we remember “these” busts but let’s also think hard on those busts we don’t remember. Fact is, during the early 2000’s where the Fil-Am lockdown happened, there a ton of Fil-Ams… and Fil-Shams trying to get the posts intended for actual Pinoys. All of a sudden, there are a ton of US-based ballers and 40 percent of them can’t even hang against third stringers!

If you look at the various PBA drafts of the 2000’s there are a lot of undrafted Fil-Am players. These are the players people thought would be the mysteries that would all of a sudden take Pinoy basketball by storm.

We’ve seen the best and yes… we also saw the worst. And when it was all said and done, this was the MY PICK and the reason why he is the worst!

STEVEN SMITH!!!

there are three reasons why I hate this guy:

Reason # 1: Smith was traded to San Miguel for Allan Caidic. Caidic has been a part of SMB since Sta. Lucia replaced Presto Tivoli. At this point, Caidic has been injury prone but his awesomeness was still there. Caidic playing alongside the powerhouse group of Marlou Aquino, Noli Locsin, Vince Hizon, Bal David, Pido Jarencio, Jayvee Gayoso, Wilmer Ong, Benny Cheng, and Dodot Jaworski would have been great for the Gin Kings… but it wasn’t.

Reason # 2: The reason why Ginebra picked eighth was because Sonny Jaworski and his boys had an awesome 1997 season. At that point, the “sister teams” tag doesn’t mean that SMB and Ginebra scheme to take over the PBA land. In actuality, they hated each other and they are trying to outdo each other. San Miguel was taking orders from SMC and Ginebra was telling people that they were from the La Tondena Franchise. Back then, there were no conduits because when SMB and Ginebra trade, it suits both parties properly. But in this case, it seems that this trade started the San Miguel Corporation “Cooperation” regarding player and personnel movements. The Big J didn’t want anything regarding this though. Jaworski was livid because he was not informed that Caidic will join the team. Jaworski and Caidic figured in one controversial event where Caidic dropped head-first on the floor and Jaworski was appearing as insensitive and uncaring. Jaworski threatened to quit and eventually filed a permanent “leave of absence” as coach of the Gin Kings. Afterwards, the Kings started to go downhill with the Ginebra core that Jaworski built getting destroyed. Rino Salazar would take over before handing the coaching chores to “playing coach” Caidic.

Reason # 3: With the impact that this trade created, you have to expect something good from Smith, right? After a few games, Smith wanted out! SMITH WAS TRYING TO DITCH HIS WORK BECAUSE HE WAS FN HOMESICK!!! He was crying and asking people to help him go back to the States! DITCH THE CONTRACT AND SET ME FREE IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO HEAR FROM A ROOKIE! At least Al Segova tried to better his output even if he had to flee because he was a Fil-Sham. Smith wanted to flee… accepting as the worst Fil-Am ever!

If you look at the PBA annals, I doubt if his name appears prominently or even appears there at all! Worse, his exit caused a lot of people to question whether or not he was a real Fil-Am and that wariness eventually became a nationwide matter!

He could have been the kicker of the whole Fil-Am controversy!

The Top 15 Version:

http://sydrified.blogspot.com/2010/09/sydmans-15-worst-fil-ams-in-pba-ever.html

Comments

• Si Paul Alvarez yung naging kapalit ni Steve Smith.
  • sydrified wrote: »
    Some players arrived in the country and made famous of their arsenals in the PBL. Some used the MBA as a stepping-stone.

And then there were the guys that were virtual unknowns that became instant stars. Mark Caguioa is the best example. All of a sudden there were various “Caguioa” clones in the league like Brandon Cablay, and Alex Cabagnot.

We call them busts because we see them play and we hate how they deliver. Sure we remember “these” busts but let’s also think hard on those busts we don’t remember. Fact is, during the early 2000’s where the Fil-Am lockdown happened, there a ton of Fil-Ams… and Fil-Shams trying to get the posts intended for actual Pinoys. All of a sudden, there are a ton of US-based ballers and 40 percent of them can’t even hang against third stringers!

If you look at the various PBA drafts of the 2000’s there are a lot of undrafted Fil-Am players. These are the players people thought would be the mysteries that would all of a sudden take Pinoy basketball by storm.

We’ve seen the best and yes… we also saw the worst. And when it was all said and done, this was the MY PICK and the reason why he is the worst!

STEVEN SMITH!!!

Reason # 1: Smith was traded to San Miguel for Allan Caidic. Caidic has been a part of SMB since Sta. Lucia replaced Presto Tivoli. At this point, Caidic has been injury prone but his awesomeness was still there. Caidic playing alongside the powerhouse group of Marlou Aquino, Noli Locsin, Vince Hizon, Bal David, Pido Jarencio, Jayvee Gayoso, Wilmer Ong, Benny Cheng, and Dodot Jaworski would have been great for the Gin Kings… but it wasn’t.

Reason # 2: The reason why Ginebra picked eighth was because Sonny Jaworski and his boys had an awesome 1997 season. At that point, the “sister teams” tag doesn’t mean that SMB and Ginebra scheme to take over the PBA land. In actuality, they hated each other and they are trying to outdo each other. San Miguel was taking orders from SMC and Ginebra was telling people that they were from the La Tondena Franchise. Back then, there were no conduits because when SMB and Ginebra trade, it suits both parties properly. But in this case, it seems that this trade started the San Miguel Corporation “Cooperation” regarding player and personnel movements. The Big J didn’t want anything regarding this though. Jaworski was livid because he was not informed that Caidic will join the team. Jaworski and Caidic figured in one controversial event where Caidic dropped head-first on the floor and Jaworski was appearing as insensitive and uncaring. Jaworski threatened to quit and eventually filed a permanent “leave of absence” as coach of the Gin Kings. Afterwards, the Kings started to go downhill with the Ginebra core that Jaworski built getting destroyed. Rino Salazar would take over before handing the coaching chores to “playing coach” Caidic.

Reason # 3: With the impact that this trade created, you have to expect something good from Smith, right? After a few games, Smith wanted out! SMITH WAS TRYING TO DITCH HIS WORK BECAUSE HE WAS FN HOMESICK!!! He was crying and asking people to help him go back to the States! DITCH THE CONTRACT AND SET ME FREE IS NOT SOMETHING YOU WANT TO HEAR FROM A ROOKIE! At least Al Segova tried to better his output even if he had to flee because he was a Fil-Sham. Smith wanted to flee… accepting as the worst Fil-Am ever!

If you look at the PBA annals, I doubt if his name appears prominently or even appears there at all! Worse, his exit caused a lot of people to question whether or not he was a real Fil-Am and that wariness eventually became a nationwide matter!

The Top 15 Version:

Cool story! *okay*
  • sydrified wrote: »

STEVEN SMITH!!!

The Top 15 Version:

1. yes i remember all the players mentioned in the blog even stephen smith, not only the worst fil-am but the most crybaby of all.

2. migs noble also played in the pbl for ateneo-pioneer team along with billy mamaril, leo avenido and the core of the ateneo blue eagles.

3. dennis harrison was the #2 pick of the 1999 draft (sonny alvarado was picked 1st). i can consider him the 2nd greatest pba draft bust after alex araneta

4. in my opinion aside from having a fun but limited game, rob johnson was judged because of his looks than his game.

5. i can put denver lopez in my top 10 of my greatest pba draft bust

6. kim valenzuela was even called the short version of jayjay helterbrand during his playign days but he never lived up to the expectations.

7. kahi villa put up a good word by saying he decided to retire from the game rather than admitting that maybe he has the body and swagger to play, he doesn't have the skills to play in the pba.

8. i wonder how far eugene tejada's career will go if not for that career ending injury? also he used to be jenny hernandez's ex so another plus for ET 33.

9. kalani ferreria used to play for the san juan knights in the mba under coach philip cezar. he also used to play point guard in most teams that he played for but his greatest talent was eating aubrey miles' feet (or foot) in the movie xerex hehehe.

10. the last time i heard kenny evans is now playing in europe. i don't know where or what league but yah he's in europe playing basketball
  • Jon Ordonio?
  • James Wallqvist
  • sydrifiedsydrified PEx Rookie ⭐
    alvarez yes, was at ginebra during that time but its more of smc wanting to still keep him despite his grievances with ron jacobs.

he jumped to the mba afterwards when jacobs was hired as consultant by ginebra to guide caidic.

but it was smith for caidic.

* robin mendoza was the second pick overall after alvarado. this is because when mba was raiding the amateurs, the pba initiated a direct hire system where they will pick a player in the draft but its redundant because that player has already been committed to the squad.

that is why mendoza is number 2, and allado is number 8 by alaska.
  • westbound17westbound17 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Steven Smith, did not finish a season.
  • Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Hi Sydrified.

My recollection on the trade of Steven Smith was different. Not to say yours is incorrect and that mine is correct, but what I do recall is that Smith was drafted by Ginebra in the 1998 draft only to be traded to San Miguel Beer for Paul Alvarez. This explains why Alvarez wasn't part of the 1997 Gordon's Gin Boars team that won a title in that season. Alvarez joined them, but was only able to play under Robert Jaworski for a few games before the Big J took a leave of absence to run for the Senate. Rino Salazar took over and when Jaworski was elected Senator of the Republic, Salazar continued to handle Ginebra.

Allan Caidic became part of the Ginebra franchise only in 1999 when SMC management decided to move him from SMB to Ginebra and make him as a playing assistant coach. We all know this story already as this has been discussed extensively in previous posts - how Jaworski took a leave of absence for not being consulted, etc. But a better way to recollect here was that Caidic, when he suited up for the 1998 Centennial Team under Tim Cone, was still donning the San Miguel colors. Which should somehow reinforce my recollection that the trade for Steven Smith (the 8th pick of the 1998 Draft owned by Ginebra) was for Paul Alvarez and not for the Triggerman.
  • lawgonelawgone PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hi Sydrified.

My recollection on the trade of Steven Smith was different. Not to say yours is incorrect and that mine is correct, but what I do recall is that Smith was drafted by Ginebra in the 1998 draft only to be traded to San Miguel Beer for Paul Alvarez. This explains why Alvarez wasn't part of the 1997 Gordon's Gin Boars team that won a title in that season. Alvarez joined them, but was only able to play under Robert Jaworski for a few games before the Big J took a leave of absence to run for the Senate. Rino Salazar took over and when Jaworski was elected Senator of the Republic, Salazar continued to handle Ginebra.

Allan Caidic became part of the Ginebra franchise only in 1999 when SMC management decided to move him from SMB to Ginebra and make him as a playing assistant coach. We all know this story already as this has been discussed extensively in previous posts - how Jaworski took a leave of absence for not being consulted, etc. But a better way to recollect here was that Caidic, when he suited up for the 1998 Centennial Team under Tim Cone, was still donning the San Miguel colors. Which should somehow reinforce my recollection that the trade for Steven Smith (the 8th pick of the 1998 Draft owned by Ginebra) was for Paul Alvarez and not for the Triggerman.

This I think is more accurate. ;) Though I agree that Smith is a worst trade bust.
  • correct me if im wrong but i think the reason smith went back to the us was because he got a better offer to play baseball in a major league farm team.

talent wise he wasn't that bad, i saw him play a couple of games and he even topscored for the beermen in one game. he has a back to the basket game and his build reminds you a lot of chris jackson and just like jackson he was also a good defender.

but if you'll consider attitude as a criteria for being the worst fil-am in the PBA then rob parker should win hands down.

alex crisano comes in second.

any, my own list of worst fil-ams/fil-fors... based on talent alone:

1. dennis harrison - played one insignificant conference for shell, the first time i saw him at a practice game against an MBA team i knew right there he'll be a bust in the PBA. this guy was a 6'1 reed thin point guard who didn't get anything but minutes during garbage time.

2. jon ordonio - actually IMHO he's a decent enough player but for all the hype surrounding his signing with Pop Cola his talent didn't measure up to the hype. probably got cursed with his kobe bryant looks.

3. migs noble - inexplicably turned out to be a bust in the PBA despite a splendid stint in the PBL. whether it had something to do with his work ethic or simply because things just didn't work out he is a frigthening example of just how risky the draft can get.

4. kenny evans - too much swagger yet not much of a game to talk about. even during his stint in the MBA with cebu you already know that he's just not a quality fil-for. ended up being a role player in the PBA. his role? cross over here just for the sake of crossing over.

5. philip newton - his call to fame in the PBA is perhaps his ability to talk fluently in Tagalog. too bad he didn't have a fluent enough game. some analysts said he plays good defense, to me that's just lip service. the guy didn't even cut it in the MBA with the San Juan Knights much less his forgettable stint with Alaska.

To me James Walkvist is no different than Mike Hrabak, a big who hangs around on the perimeter. To me, its just maybe because of his size we pinoys expected him to be more imposing. But he was nonetheless a decent and effective player and IMHO not bad for a Fil Am and not really "deserving" to be on this list.

Denver Lopez was actually serviceable IMHO, he had a couple of good years with Red Bull and Rain or Shine. Not really something to be ashamed about.
  • Anybody remember David Friedhof? I think he's the only Filipino-American player to see action for the Air21 franchise.

Some Fil-Ams (Fil-Foreigners) who had stints in the PBL and MBA but never made it to the PBA.

Jay Magat
    Sunny Margate
    John Dumont
    Dean Labayen
    Kenneth Gumpenberger
    Joshua Lambert
    Francis Machica
    Chris Mendoza
    Jay Robles
    Crispin Guintu
    :socool:
  • DevastatorDevastator The Absolute Power PEx Guru 🎖️🎖️
    La Fontaine
    AC Brown
    CJ Cole
    Chris Clay
    Jeff Flowers
  • Devastator wrote: »
    La Fontaine
    AC Brown
    CJ Cole
    Chris Clay
    Jeff Flowers

FIL SHAMS :bashful:
  • ^^^^
    inde ba isang laro si Steve Smith sa SMB (please correct me if im wrong) after that bigla nalang siyang nawalang parang bula.

if my memory serves me right both He & Danny I scored 18 points each in there very first games as a Pro.
  • Devastator wrote: »
    La Fontaine
    AC Brown
    CJ Cole
    Chris Clay
    Jeff Flowers

- augustus ceasar brown was a vital cog for the 1999 mba national champs manila metrostars under coach louie alas

- clarence or cj cole was the slam dunking guy who played for shark in the pbl.

- chris clay decided to quit basketball after playing as an import for sta. lucia. he is now a bartender at margaritaville here in las vegas although he still plays a little basketball in some filipino leagues.
  • 2. migs noble also played in the pbl for ateneo-pioneer team along with billy mamaril, leo avenido and the core of the ateneo blue eagles.

I wasn't really impressed with Migs Noble even in the PBL so he was quite lucky to last in the PBA for several seasons.
    3. dennis harrison was the #2 pick of the 1999 draft (sonny alvarado was picked 1st). i can consider him the 2nd greatest pba draft bust after alex araneta

They made a feature about this guy when he first came into the league in 1999. He was an avid photographer so I guess that's his profession now. :socool:
  • mocutemocute PEx Rookie ⭐
    may nagsabi dati sa kin na yung Steven Smith na nabanggit dito ay yung import din dati ng Swift?totoo po ba yun?
  • outmapoutmap PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Jon Ordonio?

Ordonio was a decent player, people just expected him to be really good because he looks like Kobe. I'd liken his skills to Chris Ross today.

*okay*
  • jon ordonio the kobe look a like?