COMMUNITY NOTICE: Please send your reports, concerns and other inquiries to admin "pexer99". This account will handle all community functions for PinoyExchange. You can also email us at [email protected] For category related concerns, you can also send a message to one of our moderators. Check the updated list of moderators here.

CC | Will US-Issued Credit Cards Work Here in the Philippines?

vaevictisvaevictis Fade to Black ✭✭✭
A cousin of mine is asking me whether US-issued credit cards can be used without any problems here in the Philippines.

He plans to visit here in November. Thanks.

Comments

  • yaj0928yaj0928 Member PExer
    vaevictis wrote: »
    A cousin of mine is asking me whether US-issued credit cards can be used without any problems here in the Philippines.

    He plans to visit here in November. Thanks.

    oo naman.... pwede mo pa nga ipadala yung bill dito eh kung matatagalan *** dito sa pinas... all he needs to do is to call the card issuer (capital one, chase, bank of america, etc) and have a travel notification at least 5 days before the travel date... hihingian ka nila ng info kung saan pupunta, at inclusive dates ng travel... yung charge mo ay kung magkano yung current conversion ng dollar sa kung saan country ka naroroon...
  • vaevictisvaevictis Fade to Black ✭✭✭
    Ah, so he needs to call the bank first before travelling.

    All these time we thought that he can just go here and swipe his card hehe.

    So if he didn't call first, all transactions done here will be denied?

    Thanks for the reply.
  • illuminaillumina L'enfer, c'est les autres ✭✭✭
    ^ Hindi naman. But do let him call and put the card on travel notice, just to be safe.

    Make your cousin bring a valid ID when using the card.
  • yaj0928yaj0928 Member PExer
    yup, let him call the bank para no hassle... at leat alam nilang on travel si card holder....
  • jerseyvixenjerseyvixen Reinventing Eve PExer
    vaevictis wrote: »
    Ah, so he needs to call the bank first before travelling.

    All these time we thought that he can just go here and swipe his card hehe.

    So if he didn't call first, all transactions done here will be denied?

    Thanks for the reply.

    not necessarily - but banks sometimes to protect the customer from fraud would flag and block the card on certain transactions and spendings that are "out of habit" - and a trip abroad qualifies - so if you notify them - the changes of your card being blocked lessens
  • eunuch69eunuch69 Member PExer
    basta naman visa o mastercard eh accepted kahit saan...
    wag lang down ang system...
    pero they will require an identification ata...
  • pff421pff421 Member PExer
    ^I've used my US-issued credit cards at stores and restaurants in the Philippines and I've never been asked for ID. But it is a good idea to carry some form of photo ID with you just in case.
  • vaevictisvaevictis Fade to Black ✭✭✭
    ^ But did you call your credit company first before travelling here? If you don't mind me asking, what are those cards?

    In any case, I already advised my cousin to call his bank first. :D

    Thanks for all the input guys!
  • jerseyvixenjerseyvixen Reinventing Eve PExer
    ^make sure your cousin doesn't call the branch - make sure he/she calls customer service
  • pff421pff421 Member PExer
    vaevictis wrote: »
    ^ But did you call your credit company first before travelling here? If you don't mind me asking, what are those cards?
    Yes, I always call my credit card companies when I travel out of the US. My cards are Visa, MC and AmEx.
  • Strong7PowerStrong7Power Member PEx Moderator
    Why Not? Global naman ang sakop.
  • piquanteyepiquanteye Member ✭✭✭✭
    pff421 said:
    vaevictis wrote: »
    ^ But did you call your credit company first before travelling here? If you don't mind me asking, what are those cards?
    Yes, I always call my credit card companies when I travel out of the US. My cards are Visa, MC and AmEx.
    Correct! You need to call your bank so they can put up  a Travel Marker on your debit or credit cards that you will visiting the slums of Tondo and the gates of hell PH. This is to ensure your transactions are safe and secured. Give you peace of mind. So everyone is resting in peace.

    Enjoy your stay! Mabuhay!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file