Pig Heart? Xenotransplantation?

salermosalermo Lion PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
With the shortage and woes of human transplant, will xenotransplant in human take off?

Xenotransplantation----using organs or tissue from one species in another is being discussed by citizens in some Health Associations as to the concerns relating to ethical and medical feasibility of this procedure.

Although no human clinical trials have been done in some countries, ongoing animal-to-animal xenotransplant is being done and it is conceivable that a study could be done to look at xenotransplant in humans.

If you are really desperate for a liver transplant would you accept to have a liver from a dog? :hmm: :wondering:

Comments

• dizzyrdizzyr Member PExer
    Originally posted by salermo
    If you are really desperate for a liver transplant would you accept to have a liver from a dog? :hmm: :wondering:

your mrs. can't be that bad. or else, call her something more pc.
  • kabisekabise Tindero sa 168 PExer
    Originally posted by dizzyr

Doc Dizzyr,

I think what he meant is the real dog not the one that spends our paycheck.:lol:

But then again who can tell the difference.;)
  • batang uliranbatang uliran Administrator PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    IF the technology had been fully developed and proven safe, the choice between death and squeamishness over a canine organ should be a fairly easy one to make. :rolleyes:

But as you are probably aware, the major obstacle in any organ transplantation is graft rejection. As it is,human recipients need mega-doses or life-long therapy with anti-rejection drugs for fellow-human (allogeneic) organs to "take" and these drugs aren't without their toxicities. A lot of patients are lost to severe infections, bone marrow dysfunction, and even malignancies from the immunosuppression that these drugs produce.

On the other hand, increasing the pool of donors could potentially save more lives.
  • salermosalermo Lion PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐

Trying to know my mrs. ha? :lol:
  • salermosalermo Lion PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    batang uliran,

It's too bad that in some areas 25% of people waiting for a heart transplant will die before receiving one; 25% of liver patient will die awaiting a transplant; and waiting list for kidney transplant takes a few years before getting one.

Another downside, even if this technology is successful, there is still some concerns from animal rights activists. Some of them are extremists that somebody might end up as dead meat.
    Originally posted by kabise

I think what he meant is the real dog not the one that spends our paycheck.:lol:

But then again who can tell the difference.;)

;) you're right. most days these days she's like that.

but seriously, batang mentioned the biggest difficulty to transplantation, one of organ rejection. but there is one group of people where this is no problem: the hookers. they don't reject any organ. (i'm just quoting some report)
  • evenflowevenflow Master PExer
    Thats a good one dizzyr!

How about transplantation of liver segments? At least you don't have to wait for a dying donor.

Besides, with the rate cloning technology is coming along, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would come out with some kind of organ farm where u just pick out the organ that u need. With that kind of technology, xenografts wouldn't be needed. But again, ethicists would have a lot to say about that.
    Originally posted by evenflow
    Besides, with the rate cloning technology is coming along, I wouldn't be surprised if someone would come out with some kind of organ farm where u just pick out the organ that u need.

that would be wonderful when it comes to fruition.

then i can shed this image of being the only man with penis envy.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file