Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
Ho-Ho-Hope you have a holly jolly holidays, PExers! 🎅

How to get rid of House molds

h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
hi, i would like to ask my fellow pexers howto get rid and how to maintain a mold free home? i live in a studio type room, not really that big. has 2 windows, one in the bathroom and the other on the kitchen. problem is i get a lot of molds on my stuff even if they are stored in a bag and boxes. i feel that lack of air flow in my room has caused this and sunlight really doesnt shine through my window. any advise on how i could prevent molds from coming back?

i really appreciate any response and recommendations. i think anyhing will help a lot. thanks!!!
«13

Comments

  • kim Gkim G PEx Rookie ⭐
    Dehumidifier.

    i dont live in the pinas but that was a big problem in my basement.nagpapawis ang sahig and molds grew in walls.i bought a dehimidifier and within 24 hrs tuyo lahat ng pawis and get rid of molds.

    btw,molds are very hazardous to health.nai inhale natin ang molds and can grow in lungs.molds are serious cause of many allergies.

    i hope you will resolve your problem soon.
  • h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    thanks kim_G. yeah i think i am already getting the allergies.is there a cheap dehumidifier? i saw in the internet and it looks bi. i do not not have much space if it is that bulky. but i'll still consider it if it would really help.
  • kim Gkim G PEx Rookie ⭐
    i cant remember the details about my dehumidifier.hahanapin ko ang resibo and let you know.i live in canada and mine cost $100plus but it took care of 1500 sq.ft basement.

    it is about 24 to 30 inches in taas and about 6 to 10 inches in width so considering the benefit na makukuha mo,it is well worth it.
  • h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hmm. fairly small pala. hope we have those here in the philippines.right now i frequently open my door just to keep the air flowing through my room. thanks for the suggestion.
  • since your place doesn't have proper ventilation
    get indoor plants to filter the air you breathe.

    the peace lily plant (spathyphyllum) prevents
    growth of molds.
  • Which of your stuffs do molds grow? Shoes? Personal accessories? It could be that you kept these stuffs unwashed. Things that come in contact with perspiration gather molds the quickest. Your shoes do; the leather shoes in fact need your foot's perspiration to maintain the material's pliability over longer time. Otherwise they would need to be in a slightly humid place so they won't become brittle. If possible, wash them with detergent soap and dry well before storing. You may try cleaning them with strong anti-dandruff shampoo wthout rinsing.
  • h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    macie wrote: »
    since your place doesn't have proper ventilation
    get indoor plants to filter the air you breathe.

    the peace lily plant (spathyphyllum) prevents
    growth of molds.
    Thanks Macie. really? it can do that? wow i never knew. but would t constantly need sunlight? you see sunlight doesn't really shine through my room. the window is for the stove so the heat doesnt fill the room when i am cooking.
    rendaku wrote: »
    Which of your stuffs do molds grow? Shoes? Personal accessories? It could be that you kept these stuffs unwashed. Things that come in contact with perspiration gather molds the quickest. Your shoes do; the leather shoes in fact need your foot's perspiration to maintain the material's pliability over longer time. Otherwise they would need to be in a slightly humid place so they won't become brittle. If possible, wash them with detergent soap and dry well before storing. You may try cleaning them with strong anti-dandruff shampoo wthout rinsing.

    mostly the bags that are not used for a period of time. and paper files that are also stored. i am a busy guy and i do not have much time to do a regular clean-up. so prevention is the best for me.

    thanks for the inputs! :)
  • h33r0 wrote: »
    Thanks Macie. really? it can do that? wow i never knew. but would t constantly need sunlight? you see sunlight doesn't really shine through my room. the window is for the stove so the heat doesnt fill the room when i am cooking.


    mostly the bags that are not used for a period of time. and paper files that are also stored. i am a busy guy and i do not have much time to do a regular clean-up. so prevention is the best for me.

    thanks for the inputs! :)


    google indoor plants.

    my dear, hire a maid to clean your place and water your
    plants (if you want to get some) . . . .LOL
  • h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ hahaha that is a n interesting suggestion.... in a naughty way :naughty:
  • we have the same problem at our home. we're trying to wipe everything with glade (our wood furniture at least) and bought dehumidifiers at ACE hardware just this weekend. it's fairly cheap and we placed it in specific areas in our house. it's actually not a machine but a small plastic ware with white stuff inside and space where moisture will accumulate. will get back at you if it works.

    i wonder if anyone is familiar with air purifiers? what does it do and does it help with the molds too? i'm having a baby soon and am worried about this particular problem at home. thanks y'all! ;D
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Install a whole house exhaust fan.
  • Air purifier alam ko good for those areas na may smoking and pollution. Helps rin daw with pollens or something but no idea if they are good enough against molds. Alam ko you get molds on dark and damp places. Kaya yun advice ni cyberfunk na exhaust fan is sound as it will help circulate the air.
  • air purifiers can only do as much. Kahit nasa city kami yung neighbor namin ang hilip mag sunog ng damo at basura nila. yung usok sa amin napupunta.we have air purifier but my son and i still get allergy attacks. The best pa rin ang manual na paglilinis ng bahay. Kung ang tao tamad maglinis at baruga, kahit may exhaust fan, purifiers, etc madumi pa rin ang bahay.
  • h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    my room is still tidy despite of me saying i hardly have time to clean. what i meant for a regular clean-up is the general clean-up. like i said in the previous posts, m concern was the things that are stored and gets moldy.

    i have been thinking of getting an exhaust fan but it is an addition to the electric bill. and on weekends, o go to the province with my folks. 2 days is enough for the molds to come back.
  • What I do is keep those small things that come with some food packs that absorb moisture. Baka yun na lang muna gawin mo - recycle those and mix those with your things that get moldy.
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    CityHunter wrote: »
    What I do is keep those small things that come with some food packs that absorb moisture. Baka yun na lang muna gawin mo - recycle those and mix those with your things that get moldy.

    Thats a dessicant and it usually comes in the form of a silica gel. Theres a lot of dessicants out there like caustic soda, plaster of paris and lime chips. But silica gel is one of a few desiccant that can be reactivated or reusable. Dessicants sucks the moisture off the air.

    When it comes to molds and mildews the best solution is to expel stale air from the house and suck in fresh air from the outside. If you house lacks openings like windows an exhaust fan either electrically powered or wind generated is the best solution.
  • h33r0h33r0 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    just bought some silica gel from the hardware store. placed it on some places and containers.did some house cleaning as well. hope it works.

    saw that dehumidifier machine too, a bit pricey. but it sure liiks like it will do the trick. i'll have to save up to get it.
  • LITHIUM478LITHIUM478 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I have the same problem, molds (powdered-milk-like in appearance) is manifesting on the (marble) tiles... I tried to mop the floor with water and clorox but i think it is not working...

    Perhaps i will try the dehumidifier....

    Tanong ko lang... what is the difference between a "humidifier" and a "dehumidifier"... I tried to search for a dehumidifier in my area and found a humidifier instead... so I am practically confused how come I can find a humidifier and NOT a dehumidifier in my area (Saudi Arabia)...

    http://www.extrastores.com/EnglishPages/ProductList.aspx?Page=Home%20Care%20Products&CategoryId=85
  • kim Gkim G PEx Rookie ⭐
    Humidifier, ginagamit namin sa winter kasi masyadong tuyo ang loob ng bahay.It is very dry because of heating.literally,nararamdaman ko na hinihigop ng hangin ang moisture sa balat ko.pag upo mo sa sofa,may static,sa buhok ,sa damit from dyer kaya kailangan ng konting humid,konting moisture and that is humidifier for.

    Dehumidifier naman hinihigop ang excess humid/moisture in the air, lalo na pag di maganda ang ventilation sa bahay like in my case sa basement. it usually happens in the summer.di lang mold at amoy ang ginagawa ng humid and excess moisture,nakakasira din ng gamit like the CD sa tv room namin,nagkakaroon din ng white like growth like lithium said.
  • LITHIUM478LITHIUM478 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Hi kim G, thanks for the information...

    Meantime, excuse me for asking additional info... based kasi sa example mo..

    Humidifier = winter = tuyo loob ng bahay = heater
    Dehumidifier = summer = moist loob ng bahay = aircon

    So sa case ko, I need a dehumidifier kasi nasa disyerto ako at moist ang loob ng bahay ko dahil sa aircon?
Sign In or Register to comment.