Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Water Filter or Water from Water Station

rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
We have this ongoing debate in our family. My sister is thinking of getting those water filters for the faucet. My mother is and advocate of just getting drinking water delivered from those drinking water suppliers.

What are your thoughts on this? Ultimately we have to trust someone. Who can we trust more?

Comments

• if you're willing to spend for a more permanent and quite a bit more expensive water filtering equipment, go for it. i've got friends that have a really good filtering system that filters all their water right from the source. so the water from their "tap" from the faucets are quite literally drinkable. but that cost them an arm and a leg. now, they don't have to worry about drinking water anywhere in the house.

about water stations naman, you just have to know who you're dealing with, what kind of equipment they've got and how often do they maintain it. most water stations from my observations usually just buy new equipment and when the customers come rolling in eventually get lazy in maintaining their equipment and thus the water quality changes over time, to the point that it doesn't taste the same from when the equipment was still new.
  • this is my dilemma too...

sino po sa inyo my ideas regarding effective water purifier that can be attached to the faucet, like the one's we see in malls. please share naman experiences nyo. if okay gumamit nun or just buy from water stations.

hope you guys can share your experiences, thanks
  • any 3 to 5 stage filters can do the trick. usually ganyan lang naman ginagamit sa water stations eh in the long run even you'll spend a lot initially over time it will be more cheaper than of those buying from the station
  • dati meron kaming water filter sa bahay, after a year biglang humina ang labas ng tubig, so we called the service center, 2 days later dumating at barado na daw filter, ok daw sabi ng mom ko. and paid 4k for the 2 cartriges. eto ang masakit after nila palitan di naman lumakas yung labas ng tubig di tulad nung bagong bili, sabi babalikan nila... sad to say di na nagpakita and kahit anong tawag namin sa office nila di na nila binalikan yung filter.. pati yung ahente nila kahit tawagan namin, lagi ng wala

kaya pag kumatok sa pinto ... nag-ring ng bell... at kumatok din sa bintana... wag kayong bibili sa ahenteng yun...pahabol nyo na sa aso nyo

kaya kung ako buy na lang sa water station, talo ka sa maintenance lalo na pag wala o bulok ang service center ng filter na nabili mo
  • impulzz thanks sa input. importante nga pala macheck yung availability ng after sales service baka maglaho na ngang parang bula sayang lang *** unit.. will take note on that
  • Before, I used to buy from our friendly neighbor 30 pesos per container, he was using an R.O. membrane. After na-ondoy kami ay I stopped purchasing water from him kasi alam ko nalubog yung equipment nya and I never saw any water technician doing repair job on his equipment. Isa pa, pareho naman kami ng source ng water, MWSS.

I just bought a Megafresh water purifier/filter (plus activated carbon) from Ace Hardware worth less 1k pesos and kept on changing the 1 micron filter every 3 months (89 pesos per filter) then yung outlet ng filter ay iniipon namin sa table-top water purifier (costing around 2k pesos-Megafresh din) having a candle filter plus five stage purifier.

I was able to save around 1000 pesos every month compared ng bumibili ako ng purified water. It's more than a year now and wala namang problema, pati chlorine smell ay natatanggal ng purifier. Water purifier is enough for MWSS supplied water.
  • The most important thing with home water filtration is MAINTENANCE.

Make sure to service and replace filters at the specified time. Iniisip ng iba siguro na common-sense na yun, pero believe me, napakaraming nakakalimot nito pag tagal.
  • I understand, those filters sold in the malls are solid particle filters and the active carbon to filter odor. Water-borne bacteria that cause infectious diseases such as cholera and typhoid cannot be eliminatedby mere filtering. If the public utility source is infected with typhoid pwede ka pa rin tamaan.

Meron na ba dito na nag purify ng mineral-salt-rich deep-well water?
  • there are water filters that can prevent or stop bacteria also, they use candle type filter catridge. I used to have one and I bought it from abu dhabi. The brand is Doulton. After ondoy, I threw it.

Table top water purifier is also using candle-type filter catridge.

Of course they are not perfect. The only way to be sure that you are drinking 100% H2O is to use R.O. (reverse osmosis) membrane which is very expensive and you don't know whether the water station sa "kanto" is using R.O. or just merely several stages filters. Regarding the mineral-salt-rich water, you need to have chemical injection facility or use the R.O. membrane which allow only water molecules to pass.
  • ^ Candle as in wax, or candle shape lang?
    Anyway, we really need to consider well water as alternative to Maynilad, na nawawala paminsan minsan. I dont intend to drink it naman, but only to prevent staining of bathroom surface and fixtures. Pati na rin sa kitchen, china and utensils. But if water is potable after filtering, good—drinking water na rin.
    RO pala can filter bacteria and depending on volume of required purified water osmotic pressure may increase or decrease. Yun kasi ang concern ko: if the system would require high pressure, the pump would consume more electricity. Pero konti lang pala; a system that produces 15 gallons per day would only require a pressure of around 40psi. If water is from Maynilad, suction head is practically nil; only the discharge head would require 40 psi. It’d be different if water comes from a well with suction pressure head of 40 feet (around 17.5 psi). Mas malakas na total pump work ang kailangan, hence mas magastos sa kuryente.
  • sabi nila candle but not made from wax, jou just clean it by rubbing the outer layer, after some time numinipis sya then kailangan mo na palitan. makikita mo na even after the 1 micron filter (the highest commercially available filter sa market) ay nagcocolor yellow or stain pa rin sya so it means kahit 1 micron na yung initial filter mo ay nasasala pa rin nya yung mga smaller impurities.

RO really need pressure pumps para ma-push yung water molecules sa RO membrane and may excess water ka na itatapon. Normally we are using RO sa de-salination plants and now Maynilad has a working water treatment plant (RO) taking water from Laguna De Bay.
  • Guys,

Based on my experience sa mga water filters and purifiers ito and mga brand na makikita nyo dito sa Pilipinas Water Care, Mega Fresh, Osmosis, Novo, Kemflo, and Hydrosep.

Ang economical price at good quality is Mega Fresh, Pero kung best quality talaga is go for Water care and look for Pentek water filters. Normally wala sila isang packages for Pentek more on US Pure, ok lang naman yun palitan nyo nlang ng Pentek Filter or even Mega Fresh Brand at Osmosis is pwede yung mga filters natin. For House holds ang normal size ng filter is 10" (inch) para sa kitchen po yan, Meron din pang Whole House pero syempre mahal. Mas makakatipid tayo sa pagbili ng sarili nating Water Filter and Purifier kasi one time cost lang sya at any time you can get water (Fresh at clean pa kasi alam natin). I recommend the FA-4 ng Mega Fresh Mura na sya at okey sa market. Go to Robinsons Galeria and look for Frenny or Ana to guide you. Don't buy at ACE hardware Megamall kasi mahirap doon huminga ng support lalo na pag-may problem yung filters at unit mo, magaling lang sila magbenta at ,magsalita pag-nabentahan kana wala na sorry for the support (Mang yayari bentahan kayo nila doon sa ACE MegaMall ng kung ano ano pero hindi mo naman kailangan). I have bad experience with them even I'm a regular customer, kabibili ko lang ng UV light for Water sterilizer ko pero sira agad hindi nila pinalitan sa ACE MegaMall pero noong second time sa Galeria na me, na acsidente yung unit pinalitan nila agad.

MegaFresh Water Filters.

I will discuss guys yong function ng FA-4 unit nila, kung kapos ka sa badget meron sila doon para less than 3K three stages filters na.

Model: FA-4

FA-4 Ceramic Water Filter

1. Tube 1 with A-59 0.9 or 5micron
    ceramic cartridge.

2. Tube 2 with FA-Resin cation resin.

3. Tube 3 with FA-GAC activated carbon & silver activated carbon.

4. Tube 4 with C-52-KAS 0.2 micron ceramic
    cartridge KDF + silver activated carbon.

1. yung tube one Ceramic po yan, meaning isa yan sa unang unang filter na effective na ginamit ng Queen ng England. Ang kagandahan ** pwede mo linisin pagmadume na dont use detergent like Joy or action, use Kalamansi ibabad mo yung boong filter for 30 mins tapos padaanan mo ng running water sa gripo then slightly or gently mo e scrub ng soft na tooth brush not scotchs bright kasi magagasgas po yan at ninipis ng husto.

2. Tube 2, yung Fa-resis is for water softner at remover ng harmful metals na disolved sa tubig to make your water better.

3. yung GAC is para tangalin yung Chlorine, VOC, pesticides at other chemical sa tubig.

4. at yung last stages na ceramic is to polish the water ang make it better. http://x-green.com/english/products_2.html

Meron din sila FA-3

Model: FA-3

FA-3 Ceramic Water Filter

1.Tube 1 with A-59 0.9 or 5micron
    ceramic cartridge.

2. Tube 2 with FA-Resin cation resin.

3. Tube 3 with FA-GAC activated carbon &
    silver activated carbon.

Mas Mura sya at naka sale pa ng 30% off sa Handyman Robinsons Galiria.

Hindi po ako nagbebenta gusto ko lang po share yung nalalaman ko sa mga taong gusto bumili ng sarili nila filter sa house.

Take note dont but at MegaFresh Ace Megamall, bulok yung support nila doon (merchandiser nila doon is Weng, Rusty, at Raymond magaling sila magsalita kaya mapapabilib ka bebentahan ka nila doon ng mga kung ano ano na hindi mo **** kailangan) .

Update sa price para ng P 3600 yata yung three stages nila isang packages na yun, yung FA-4 nila is P 8,800 pero ang kagandahan doon pati Lead ma filter nila,

Sa Pentek Filters, madami sila Carbon Filters na magaganda medyo mahal nga lang pero da best ang quality na gamit ko na, dont buy reverse osmosis na water purifier kasi bukod na too expensive is sayang ang tubig at kuryente mo, sa 3 galon na water 1 lang ang makukuwa mo na pwede inumen yung 2 tapon na yun (Sayang no ).

Yan filter na yan hindi na magrequire ng power kaya kahit brown out may tubig kang safe inumin.

Pag may question kayo post nyo lang anything na alam ko is share ko sa inyo.
  • personally hanap kayo yung maraming stages na pag filter to ensure yung linis ng water... para sure lang... hindi na natin masasabi ngayon kung malinis yung water since madalas na mag baha ** sa metro manila
  • paolorenzopaolorenzo PEx Rookie ⭐
    Naka-tsamba ako nang Malasian branded RO filter (Elken Narisia) na binenta sa Sulit. MSRP is about 40k, I got it for only 4k (pinadala from abroad, hindi naman ni-install yung seller, na-stock lang). Ganda nung unit kasi meron nang built-in pump, and water heater for hot water dispensing. Pero like all RO units, mga 30% of the water goes to waste (iniipon ko under the sink and ginagamit panlaba/panlinis/pandilig).

I got a 2-stage Megafresh filter sa Ace (discounted nang 50%), and installed it as a pre-filter to the RO. Ayos na! Yung pre-filters lang pinapalitan ko.

Even our children (8, 4, 1 y.o) drink the filtered water (gamit sa milk nila).
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Filters are filters. They just block sediments that carry impurities. It does not disinfect though. Bacteria cannot be stopped by filters. You can drink brackish or water with impurities if it does not have bacteria you'll be fine. You need to include disinfecting process with your filtering system like a UV light and a reverse osmosis in the filtering system. There's an under the counter type of reverse osmosis available for residential kitchen.
  • cyberfunk wrote: »
    Filters are filters. They just block sediments that carry impurities. It does not disinfect though. Bacteria cannot be stopped by filters. You can drink brackish or water with impurities if it does not have bacteria you'll be fine. You need to include disinfecting process with your filtering system like a UV light and a reverse osmosis in the filtering system. There's an under the counter type of reverse osmosis available for residential kitchen.

Your partially correct because it depends on your filter, I think you just only reading some materials and lack of experience in actual setting and experiments of filters. If your filter is not a good brand or created without a good quality you're right, I've seen many types of brand like than. Please try to look these web sites ( I already tested it to laboratory with my self and compare the water from tap then after the filtration),http://www.imtmembranes.nl/, http://doultonusa.com/HTML%20pages/how%20it%20works.htm.

UV is good if you already done with the prefiltration stages because if you direct it from youre tap water some sediments will still there and bacteria and viruses can hide with it. Remember bacteria and viruses are not the dangerous part in water but the chemicals and other pesticides. Putting a reverse osmosis system is not 100% safe because it just only partially removed all of those things and you are going to waste 2/3 of water( in 3 gallon, 2 gallon is waste water and only one gallon are the product water) do you like to create more waste water, madami po ang nauuhaw at hindi nakakainum ng malinis na tubig at saka malaki na ang kakapusan natin sa tubig dahil sa dami ng waste water.
    Ceramic filter is one of the old system used by the queen of England (Please read daltons article). I'm not selling any items here I just want to help more people to learn and understand what is the right filter that they can buy with out sacrificing the quality but reasonable cost.
  • @JigglesIV Thanks for that information!
  • Nung bata pa ko, wala yang mga filter filter na yan saka mga bottle water, pero wala ako natatandaan na nagkasakit ako kahit direstso sa poso ako uminom. Napaka polluted na ba talaga ng tubig natin o marketing lang yan?
  • pau2ganda wrote: »
    Nung bata pa ko, wala yang mga filter filter na yan saka mga bottle water, pero wala ako natatandaan na nagkasakit ako kahit direstso sa poso ako uminom. Napaka polluted na ba talaga ng tubig natin o marketing lang yan?

same here, pero hindi mo rin kasi masisisi ang mga bumibili ng purified water especially sa Metro Manila. Bumabaha na ksi ang Maynila at hindi well maintained ang mga tubo na dinadaluyan ng tubig. kung sa probinsya siguro pwede ka pa uminom directly sa faucet pero sa Maynila, mahirap na magkasakit.
  • JobyBryant24JobyBryant24 PEx Rookie ⭐
    Me ma-recommend ba kayong magandang water filter para sa bahay? Feel ko mukhang kailangan na namin to. Mahirap na. Tsk!