COMMUNITY NOTICE: If you are having trouble in your account access, please do send us a message at [email protected] for assistance. Please update your email address.

Thanks,
pexer99

Meralco Bolts

Comments

• Jay P. MercadoJay P. Mercado Moderator PEx Moderator
    Another super team in the making. That's 5 super teams for you. Mr. Uytengsu won't like this.

But an MVP team would surely be a NT friendly one!

FH is correct that MVP has the best of both worlds at this point. His intent is to buy the franchise of Barako Bulls in the next season or two and name it for another brand under his stewardship (I forgot if it's Philex). That would mean three teams for him - Meralco, TNT and Philex. Air 21 is a Bert Lina team but has very close ties with MVP through the Burger King connection. It would be worthless on his part to buy the Air 21 franchise because the Express can serve as his conduit team for future trades among his teams. He not only helps the Express with its goal of optimizing its operating expenses, it would also allow his teams to trade with each other without any hitch. Why buy the Express franchise when it would serve a greater purpose for them?

And now, the PBA rule on sister teams is rearing its ugly head. Another source of the problem is the PBA Board's refusal to bring in competing brands in the fold - they want exclusivity among their brands in the league. Because of this, it becomes difficult to attract more teams in the cast as the other companies that can invest on a PBA franchise would possibly be the competing teams themselves. And since they can't totally disallow player trades to be consummated, the sister teams have found it convenient to move their players within their system to shore up the weak spots of their respective lineups while retaining the loyalty of these players. I pity teams like Rain Or Shine, Alaska, and Coke as they don't have the same luxury.

Of course, we can't take away the interest of the companies of Ramon Ang and Manny Pangilinan to join the league as they would probably form 60% of the league composition. If they want to have multiple teams in the league, then so be it. But at least, set a compromise by allowing competing brands to join so that the level of competition will remain high. Another option is to set stringer rules pertaining to trading among sister teams. While the rule at present may appear ideal on paper, teams have circumvented this rule by coming up with creative approaches of using conduit teams (especially willing ones like Air 21) just to get what they want. I won't be surprised if a trade is consummated by TNT and Meralco with Meralco receiving a marquee player to make it competitive right away and using Air 21 as a conduit by getting a second round pick in the draft. It's like not having a conduit at all...
  • the_bonfire2.0the_bonfire2.0 YEAH! YEAH! YEAH! PExer
    according to ryan gregorio earlier at the psa forum, he is looking at the players' character and determination to sacrifice on defense.

he said na marlou aquino, nelbert omolon and chris ross are among the regulars of the sta. lucia team to be part of his starting five.

he needs one go-to-guy according to him, but mas gusto niya daw mag-develop ng players from the draft.

kung available si baclao at number three, they'll grab him pero kung wala na, they look at elmer espiritu.

one conference lang ang ibibigay na knotrata nila kay aquino.

wala pa silang team moniker kasi yung readywatts ata may franchise sa amerika, patented na daw.
  • KevinDurantKevinDurant Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I have a hunch that Cardona will be transferred from TNT to Meralco!
    maybe dillinger.

may nabanggit siya about kelly williams and ryan reyes kanina pero di ko maintindihan, medyo maingay kasi.
  • lostclairvoyantlostclairvoyant lostclairvoyant PExer
    according to ryan gregorio earlier at the psa forum, he is looking at the players' character and determination to sacrifice on defense.

he said na marlou aquino, nelbert omolon and chris ross are among the regulars of the sta. lucia team to be part of his starting five.

he needs one go-to-guy according to him, but mas gusto niya daw mag-develop ng players from the draft.

kung available si baclao at number three, they'll grab him pero kung wala na, they look at elmer espiritu.

one conference lang ang ibibigay na knotrata nila kay aquino.

wala pa silang team moniker kasi yung readywatts ata may franchise sa amerika, patented na daw.

mga pre, i just want to clear out that the former moniker of meralco is REDDY KILOWATTS. 'reddy' means a color signifying a shade of red and kilowatts is an electrical term associated with the company. it has nothing to do with the term ready. thanks!
  • calooooy4calooooy4 Revive the Animo PExer
    Sana Meralco picks Bam-bam Gamalinda, who can be an added asset in the team.
    mga pre, i just want to clear out that the former moniker of meralco is REDDY KILOWATTS. 'reddy' means a color signifying a shade of red and kilowatts is an electrical term associated with the company. it has nothing to do with the term ready. thanks!

basta ang sabi nila kaahpon, they will think of a new one kasi nga patented na yung dati nilang ginagamit.
  • Steady69Steady69 SEECRAFTS FURNITURE PExer
    And the big slight that is Ali Peek continues.

RG made zero mention about Ali, despite the fact he was far and away their best player last conf.

Marlou Aquino only cares about making money. he doesn't care about winning. RG will discover this very soon.

People always say the despite his age, marlou is a big defensive force if he's 'on his game', but few realize ali peek has been the best shotblocker in the pba the past decade.

Omolon has been one of the most underrated players in the pba. he can play, no doubt about it.

Ross has the potential to be an elite defensive force at the guard spot. his shooting though is on the same planet as Paul Artadi.

I'd be happy to see MVP teams on equal footing with SMC teams. atleast, it's not just one entity lording it over the pba landscape. the problem with this is that teams outside of these 2 umbrellas will be put at huge disadvantages; unless the pba would actually practice the 'rules' it has created: 1) no '3-team trades' between sister teams(no 'conduit' teams); 2) implement the salary cap.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Marlou will play just one conference for Meralco.
  • lovejoneslovejones living the martini life PEx Expert 🎖️

he said na marlou aquino...... (will be) among the regulars of the sta. lucia team to be part of his starting five.

Great thinking coach. You have no idea how happy Purefoods/BMEG/Petron fans are to see you coach another team
  • Derrick_RoseDerrick_Rose Konoha's White Fang PExer
    MERALCO WILL BE A DEFENSIVE, RUNNING TEAM

Thu, 08/26/2010 - 18:21 — junior

Meralco%20Bolts_header.jpg

A TIME-tested system with former team Purefoods is what Ryan Gregorio intends to alter just a little with a Meralco crew gearing up for the PBA.

However, Gregorio knows there are some key spots he must first fill up in the former Sta. Lucia Realty franchise before the Bolts can become what his former team was and still is and he aims to do just that through the coming Rookie Draft on Sunday at the Market! Market! Activity Center in Taguig.

“I’ve molded Purefoods into a defensive, executing team and I want Meralco to be a defensive, running team,” the three-time champion coach stated Thursday just before the Bolts were formally introduced at the Lopez Bldg. inside the utility company’s sprawling compound.

“I’ve had a successful program anchored on defense and I intend to make this team to be pretty good defensively,” he added. “It will be a journey. Management understands it will be a process and it will get rough before it gets smooth, but we’ll get there.”

Meralco only has second round picks in the coming draft and Gregorio plans on using his 11th, 13th and 15th choices to fill up his need for a point guard, a small forward and a power forward.

He believes there will be enough talents left for him to choose from.

“Others may not be immediate stars, but they have enough to secure roster spots not only in my team but in other teams as well,” he pointed out, admitting he has a list of the particular players he wants.

“The likes of Rey Guevarra, RJ Jazul, John Melegrito, Borgie Hermida and Shawn Weinstein,” he divulged.

The high expectations for the Bolts come not only from Gregorio himself but also from management.

“Hindi kami sasali para matalo, kaya right from Day One we will be there fighting,” said Ramon Segismundo, who will be the team’s representative to the PBA Board.

Gregorio has inherited from the Realtors center Marlou Aquino, frontliner Gabby Espinas, wingmen Nelbert Omolon and Yousif Aljamal, guards Pong Escobal, Ogie Menor and Chris Ross. Slotman Beau Belga also came in from a trade.

The players filling up the other spots should also understand one thing, however, and that is offense revolves around gunner Mac-Mac Cardona, also acquired from a trade, and the team is being built around him.

“The others must embrace their roles and I want to get players who can get those offensive rebounds, break down the other teams’ defense, and, most importantly, make stops because defense can make things happen,” he stated.

Ronnie Magsanoc has also come in to assist, along with Boyet Fernandez, Patrick Fran and Xavier Nunag.

For the first time in league history a PBA team will also be adopting a charity organization as beneficiary as Meralco is giving its share from ticket revenues to Caritas Manila. (NC)

http://www.pba.ph/topstories/meralco-will-be-defensive-running-team
  • takakitakaki Member PExer
    “I’ve molded Purefoods into a defensive, executing team and I want Meralco to be a defensive, running team,”

Quite funny that Gregorio will say something like this .... when everyone and his mother knows that PUREFOODS rose back to prominence when it got Pingris and Reavis from the other SMC teams.

Getting Maierhoffer from the draft helped bigtime as well. Roger Yap has always played adequate defense at PG.

No one has to teach these 4 guys how to play tough defense and crash the boards .... it's in their nature.
  • myas110myas110 2012 NBA Champs-Miami Heat PExer
    eto ang bagay na mascot ng meralco: Bolt :lol:

Bolt-poster-final-fullsize.jpg
  • Another super team in the making. That's 5 super teams for you. Mr. Uytengsu won't like this.

Naku naman hindi naman mahe-hate ni Mr. Uytengsu yan kung sinisunod lang din naman yung rules ng liga, might as well scrapped the existing rule and we all shut up. Para naman si Mr. Uytengsu lang nakakakita niyan naku naman :confused:
  • They had Ross and Omolon yet they are still needing a PG & SF. Kunsabagay di ganun kagaling si Ross as he was hyped, kunin na lang nila si Mike Cortez o kaya si celino Cruz (since BGK is loaded w/ guards). Omolon and Aljaamal is enough on SF position, no need to ponder.

PF na lang ang kailangan siguro iyon na lang pagtuunan nila sa draft.
  • WEST WINGERWEST WINGER Member PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    pede...AN1MO MERALCO!!!
  • darkwinddarkwind Pilipinas PExer
    meron ba kayong logo ng meralco bolts na nasa white background?
  • Drahow ein EnteDrahow ein Ente twitter.com/htdee PExer
    B-Boys daw ang team name ah.

Bakit laging kabaklaan ang mga teamnames ng mga teams ni Ryan? :naughty:
    Tender Juicy GIants
    D-Meg ***** este Llamados pala. :glee:
  • zoomzoomzoomzoom Member PExer

Bakit laging kabaklaan ang mga teamnames ng mga teams ni Ryan? :naughty:
    Tender Juicy GIants
    D-Meg ***** este Llamados pala. :glee:

idagdag mo pa yung chunkee giants. "i-chunkee check mo!":rotflmao:
  • upfmupfm WordPress/Photographer PExer

San ba galing yung news na b-boys yung name? A reporter not doing his homework:)

I was in the Meralco launching and The official name is Meralco Bolts.

B-boys are the 2 HS basketball players from UPIS and San Beda that Meralco is supporting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file