Home PEx International Entertainment International TV

BBC's "Sherlock" (a contemporary update of Arthur Conan Doyle's detective series)

last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
There's new British show called Sherlock and the pilot is one of the most satisfying TV pilots I've seen *okay*
Sherlock is a British television series produced by Hartswood Films for BBC Wales, co-produced with WGBH Boston for its Masterpiece anthology series. It was created by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, who wrote one episode each. Paul McGuigan directed the first and third episodes; Euros Lyn directed the second, which was written by Stephen Thompson.

It is a contemporary update of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes detective stories, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Holmes and Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson. Una Stubbs appears as their landlady Mrs Hudson, and Rupert Graves as DI Lestrade.

Filming took place at various locations, including London and Cardiff. The three-part series is currently being transmitted on BBC One and BBC HD, in July and August 2010, and is receiving mainly positive reviews.

Apparently, the episodes are written based on the actual Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. The pilot episode "A Study In Pink" is based on the very first novel released in 1887 called "A Study In Scarlet" *okay* People say that the show is different enough to still be interesting to anyone well familiar with the books, but still extremely faithful, sometimes in clever ways. I think I want to read that novel now.

It's really really good and I highly recommend it. Nice mix of comedy and suspense, well acted, stylishly made and smartly written. The climax of the pilot episode was incredibly thrilling.

Martin Freeman is refreshingly interesting in his role as Dr Watson. For me probably because I haven't seen him in a non-comedic role (Hot Fuzz... Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy... The Office).

Sherlock_titlecard.jpg

Comments

• i seriously thought this was a new series. :( sayang 3 eps lang sya. ganda pa naman. hopefully, bbc will pick this up to be a full series. ganda ng ratings niya.
  • ^^ It is a new series. It's just short. The British don't have a fixed length for full series. Hustle is about 5-6 episodes a year, Dr. Who is 12 episodes plus a X-mas special.

The problem with this show is that it's written by the Executive producer of Doctor Who which means he may not have time to write another 3 (hopefully more) episodes of Sherlock.

I love the fact that Holmes reminds me of Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory :)
  • All I can say is GREAT CASTING especially the actor playing moder day Sherlock Holmes
  • My friend from England said it's only a mini-series. A three-part series. But still a new series. So, I'm thinking it won't be back after that three eps. I got it wrong?

Read somewhere though that if the beebs ordered for more eps, Moffat would be willing to juggle them both.
  • Aren't most British series treated as one-shots anyway? 4-6 episodes and you're done. If it's a success then they'll order more episodes next year.
    Anyway it's three 90 minute episodes so it's about the same as a 6 episode series.
  • yojan17yojan17 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sana nga gawin din nila yung ibang novels and short stories. I love the Granada TV series with Jeremy Brett as Holmes. :D
  • loved the pilot. it's rare for a TV show to make you think from start to finish. Sherlock does just that. galing.
  • maysapawmaysapaw Australian Open 2020 Participant 🎾
    +1 here! Pilot is A *okay*

I'm excited for episode 2 :D
  • maysapawmaysapaw Australian Open 2020 Participant 🎾
    the mystery and its resolution was not as exciting as the pilot but it was still good.

who wants to be a million-hair :lol:
  • seen all three episodes. it would a bummer if there's no second series. the last one was a cliffhanger.
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    On 10 August 2010, it was confirmed that Sherlock has been renewed for a second series.

*okay*
  • Sherlock thread! :D I am loving this series. Boses Snape pa si Sherlock. Ahaha!
  • yojan17 wrote: »
    May nag-upload nito sa YT kaso natanggal agad ng BBC. :bop:

Just download it from a ***** site... seen all three.... yeah I hope they produce more episodes and since the US is into mimicking British series.... ope they pick this up and get the main lead... *okay* like what they tried to do with the I.T. crowd...but later on decided to ditch! :depressed:
  • last.dodo.birdlast.dodo.bird PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sherlock thread! :D I am loving this series. Boses Snape pa si Sherlock. Ahaha!
    Oo nga yan din yung naisip ko while watching the start of episode 3 :lol: Akala ko nga guest star si Alan Rickman (Snape) eh, tapos pinakita si Sherlock pala yung nagsasalita :p
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    This show is ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. I was so sad to learn that they only had 3 episodes. There are rumors that there will be more episodes but I haven't read any confirmation. I even researched on British tv shows, most of them run for 6 episodes per season.

I really hope we'll see more of this. It's too amazing to be dropped just like that.
  • ^I think it was already confirmed that there'll be a season 2. :Dsource
  • yojan17 wrote: »
    Sana nga gawin din nila yung ibang novels and short stories. I love the Granada TV series with Jeremy Brett as Holmes. :D

Same here. Downey Jr.'s Holmes was cringe-worthy for me(since I was spoiled by Brett) so I'm excited to watch this series *okay*
  • CaRaMBaCaRaMBa Administrator PEx Moderator
    baby_gee3 - Oh thank you for the good news!
  • patheticbakapatheticbaka PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    wow. kakapanood ko pa lang ng first episode and super nagustuhan ko sya. feeling ko super bitin talaga ang 3 episodes. good to know there's an upcoming new season. :D
  • Naicha_loverNaicha_lover PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Obsessed with the show!

I rewatch it every week.

I'll be ordering the DVD pag may mura akong nakita sa eBay. Or pag may R3 release somewhere.