Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

UST Admin, Faculty union clash on tenureship

Link:

http://www.varsitarian.net/news/20100716/admin_faculty_union_clash_on_tenureship

This is becoming a hot topic over the Varsitarian website.

Fellow REAL Thomasians, what is your opinion regarding the matter?

For me, it should be both Professional Experience and a Master's Degree and not just one of the two. Besides, a College Professor should be all knowing on what they teach since they are the ones who provide knowledge on the students. Professors should knowledge giver and not transmitter.

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and I'm sorry if I have offended anyone with my opinion

Comments

• joseph0487joseph0487 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    IMHO, there are professors who, despite their post-graduate degree, are not really for teaching. There are some who do not know how to communicate their ideas well to the students. Yes, post-graduate degrees give them an edge to teach (so I'm for requirement) however, the capability of a professor to communicate must also be checked.
  • CHED requirement, so kailangan talagang sundin.
  • joseph0487joseph0487 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^^ Kaso yun nga, natatakot yung mga current profs na baka ma-jeopardize yung position nila due to that requirement. What if, may professor na may hands-on experience kumpara sa isang postgrad degree holder na wala pang experience, would the admin chose the postgrad degree holder over the one who had hands-on experience who , in my opinion, knows more about what's actually happening in the field than somebody who has only but theoretical knowledge? May mga bagay kasi na hindi naituturo ng prof na walang experience na malalaman mo lang sa field pag nagtatrabaho ka na, na naituturo naman ng professor na may experience sa field.

I guess a professor must be somewhere in between - has both a master's degree and a field experience.

Just my opinion.
  • I agree. The University should choose to let go or retain its professors on a case-to-case basis.
  • The Varsitarian reported that: The Office of the Academic Affairs and Research has issued a waiver requiring non-tenured faculty members without master’s degrees to renounce their right to tenureship despite a provision in the collective bargaining agreement (CBA) that could lead to tenureship after five semesters.

Four professors from the College of Fine Arts and Design were terminated because they refused to sign the waiver, according to a letter from the UST Faculty Union (USTFU) to Academic Affairs chief Clarita Carillo, a copy of which was obtained by the Varsitarian.

The UST administration’s action was decisive and necessary. Reading further the Varsitarian’s report, I see that:

1. A master’s degree for a teaching member is a CHED requirement. And why not? The requirement is obviously meant to raise and establish standards in all the universities primarily for the benefit of the student population and ultimately of this country. UST being UST cannot do less.

2. Most in UST’s faculties have complied; it would be grossly unfair to exempt a few. “Countless faculty members struggled and persevered to earn [their degrees] to truly deserve their right to be part of the University,” said Ms. Carillo, head of the Academic Affairs office. Naturally, “Nothing less should be expected from the rest.”

3. The affected faculty members were already given enough time to do what they had to do. They “were on probation since 2003” and have been “consistently reminded” that they needed to finish their master’s degrees. “Every semester since then, these non-tenured faculty members have been reminded of these requirements by way of appointment letters issued to them and which documents they signed,” said Ms. Clarita Carillo, head of UST’s Academic Affairs.

Moreover, according to Rev. Fr. De la Rosa, UST Rector, “The University gives a lot of incentives. [We give faculty members] sabbatical leaves, thesis grants, study leaves, and salary grant leaves.” Hence, he was correct in saying that “if they don’t take advantage of these”, and considering again that they have been reminded enough, then “it’s no longer the fault of the University.” There has been enough time for “compassion” that to do more of the same will only bring mixed signals to the “countless faculty members” who have “struggled and persevered to earn [their degrees] to truly deserve their right to be part of the University.”

If you’re a faculty member who cares for your students, the University and your job tenure, why would you not similarly struggle and persevere to earn a master’s degree like the others did? I do not understand why one would not do so given that the University provides many incentives and the fact that it will serve one’s professional advancement.

I think that the University's requiring the affected faculty member to sign the aforesaid waiver was a way of giving him/her the last chance to do what he ought/agree to have done. To refuse therefore to sign the same is a display of egoism, arrogance and insensitivity.
  • ^Wow, What can I say, totally agree.

I hope that the College Professors concerned regarding the matter should act accordingly. At the end of the day, its them and our UST will benefit the outcome of their actions.
  • joseph0487 wrote: »
    ^^ Kaso yun nga, natatakot yung mga current profs na baka ma-jeopardize yung position nila due to that requirement. What if, may professor na may hands-on experience kumpara sa isang postgrad degree holder na wala pang experience, would the admin chose the postgrad degree holder over the one who had hands-on experience who , in my opinion, knows more about what's actually happening in the field than somebody who has only but theoretical knowledge? May mga bagay kasi na hindi naituturo ng prof na walang experience na malalaman mo lang sa field pag nagtatrabaho ka na, na naituturo naman ng professor na may experience sa field.

I guess a professor must be somewhere in between - has both a master's degree and a field experience.

Just my opinion.

Such ought to be so. The teacher has to have a master's degree (even if only for the 'convenience or vanity' of such title) and the breadth of knowledge acquired from his/her previous and continuing job experiences. As well, one has to have effective teaching skills, which, I believe, is only attained because one simply loves to teach.

Sadly, though, there are still some faculty members in UST who have unfinished master's degree and do not have enough mastery of the subjects they teach, and, what's worst, some are lousy at imparting knowledge. They could not be removed because they have acquired tenureship and are protected by their union's CBA.

Fr. Dela Rosa seems to me a capable administrator. He was placed there for good reasons, especially considering that he will preside over UST's quadricentenary celebrations. But in terms of improving UST, the administrators and faculty members will really have to do much much more!
  • hmm,unfair kasi sa mga bagong prof yan e. required na may MBA e wala naman binibigay na tulong ang ADMIN para makakuha ng MBA ang mga prof. sariling gastos nila yun. ang masaklap pa,aasahan nilang mag MBA e full load ang binibigay nila sa prof,may oras ka pa ba makapagaral kung buong araw ka ng nasa university nagtuturo. maging reasonable naman sana sila. Ok lang magkaron ng MBA requirement,pero sana magbigay sila ng tulong at dagdagan nila ang grace period para makakuha ng MBA.

meron nga ako kilalang mga may MBA,pero san naman nila kinuha sa mga cheapipay na schools lang. yung tipong bayad ka lang ng tuition tapos meron ka ng MBA. walang substance over form.so ano naitulong ng MBA nila?in short wala. hindi lang iisa yan,madami sila.. =)

no offense sa "cheapipay" na term, ginamit lang para maexaggerate yung point.
  • Si Sir Yambao (College of Science), wala akong nakitang MA or PhD sa dulo ng pangalan niya. Pero kung magturo siya, walang libro, saulo niya lahat. And I believe that he's the best math prof (na naging prof ko) sa department. Therefore, yang mga PhD na yan pampabango lang yan sa pangalan. pero may mga ibang prof na hindi dapat ginagawaran ng titulong yan :|
  • Well, in this issue, I'm on the side of the Admin. However, like others said, having a Master's Degree or PhD's are not the only solution in upgrading the academic standards of the university. Some can still teach through their Professional experience. But sometimes, professional experience doesn't give a certain professor the full knowledge of what they teach. Taking up a Master's Degree can elevate a certain professor's ability to teach the subject.

In fact, UST Graduate School is conducting various seminars in different fields. They even invite foreign professors to conduct seminars once in a while. They even sending some graduate school students in some foreign universities that has an academic linkage with UST. Like some professors in the College of Rehabilitation Sciences, they attended this seminar in a Japanese university which I forgot the name.

To conclude, College professors should have both the professional experience and academic credentials to have tenureships in a university. I'm sure naman that UST will help in funding their further studies. In fact, UST is already giving financial incentives to those professors who are doing extensive research (through TARC).

I have faith with our Professors that they will comply in this issue.

Huwag na pong maginarte.