Home PEx Hobbies Recreation

Self-studying for piano?

How effective yung self-studying ng piano? I was comparing kasi the prices of the music schools that provide piano lessons. There is one na 375pesos per hour, 600pesos per hour and 1000pesos per hour. Dahil sobrang mahal, I decided to go for self-studying na lang.

Do you think I can learn a lot kung self-studying na lang ng piano? What websites do you recommend for me to follow in order to help me succeed in this?

May background na ako sa piano. I want to come back for a while na. I wanted to play kasi for my family and friends.

Comments

• ground_breakground_break PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    You could learn.... but are you learning the right things?
  • Actually, I started studying for piano noong highschool pa ako. I stopped because of laziness at sumasakit ang likod ko kapag matagal na ako nagppractice ng piano. Remember yung upuan ng piano? Walang sandalan! Kaya ayon.

Pero gusto ko na ulit magpiano dahil diba. Why waste yung resources ko dito sa bahay when I can do something great?

I can still read notes. I know the do-re-mi placement ng notes sa staff. Ang hindi ko lang alam ay yung bilis/bagal ng notes because I forgot na.

My problem is I cannot practice playing a piece from a paper kung hindi ko pa napapakinggan yung magiging "tunog" niya kapag naaral ko na lahat. I find kasi my motivation/perseverance na yung "final product" na iyon is my ultimate goal.

I am actually considering and reconsidering the P600 per hour every minute of my life since I have inquired for her services dahil UP College of Music professor siya.

Kaso kailangan ko pang itago sa mga magulang ko na gumagastos ako ng ganito kalaki dahil lang sa self-fulfillment ko. Talagang papagalitan ako nito. At ang hirap lang talaga if you have to lie and "takas" every week. Haaay.
  • JackNDBeanstalkJackNDBeanstalk PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    actually you can learn playing piano on your own, there's a lot of helpful resources there you can find, search youtube for tutorials. I learned playing piano on my own. I think gift of music does made a great impact on how i learned to play the instrument easily. My family background kasi mostly are musician. I learned playing piano and guitar without the help of anyone. Kung may timbre ang puso mo kayang kaya! kasi ako kinakapa ko lang minsan nagagawa ko. Gift of music is one of the greatest gift one could ever have, like madali mong mapasagot chicks nyan konting harana lang at pakanta kanta lang :love:
  • you have to at least know the basics. Self study is very effective when you know the basics
    You could learn.... but are you learning the right things?

Good point there groundbreak. Seeking for professional help has a lot of advantage, but if you don't have the money then i think you can still be a good musician if your heart is in it. Nahigitan pa nga ng mga blind pianist yaong mga nakikita diba
  • just learn the basics then practice and practice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I am now 22, and I started to self-study on how to play the piano when I was 17, though I sought professional help and pieces of advice from time to time from our church pianist.

My tip: It is never too late to learn to play the piano. Based on a research and from what I have learned through Discover Channel, it will be much difficult to learn at our age than when we were younger because there is something with our brain that enables our grasp for music (whatever that is) that disconnects (whatever that disconnects) as we grow older.

Learn the basics, then practice. And when I say practice, you must at least spend some quality time with your piano for at least an hour a day. Learn a basic piece. I started with Canon in D by Pachelbel though. :lol:

Disclaimer: Don't expect to play like a musical prodigy. In my five years of playing the piano for our local church, I would still rate myself a 4 out of 10. :bop:*okay*
  • must you play sheet music?

another option is to play music by ear. there's lots of material on youtube. of course the downside is you have to be familiar with the song, but you will get to enjoy your piano/keyboards much faster.

just get the chords from the internet... try to get those that can transpose the chords automatically to whatever key you like by raising or lowering any number of notes you prefer.
  • @ground_break, JackNDBeanstalk, xandavon, ax30g, arrimacababayao and midas_ulved.

Guys, thank you for the advices. I have decided to go with the 600pesos an hour. (Goodbye, 4800pesos.) I have to start somewhere rin kasi kahit alam ko na ang mga basics. I have decided to do piano lessons at least for two months lang for reviewing the basics such as note-reading, proper technique and posture. At kung kaya ko ng mag-isa, I'll go on my own after.

Aside from that, I saw great websites for self-learning.
    pinthesun.magnify.net
    www.pianoshortcuts.com
    Youtube: Calikokat

Gaaahd! Ang galing ni Calikokat, I swear! I want to play like him someday. I have decided to also "play music by ear" music piece once a week to sobrang practice na rin.

I'll do the "one hour a day" practice. Ang problema ko lang is my back. The central problem as to why I quit piano in the first place. I must replace the piano bench by a chair. Lolz, looks awkward. Bahala na!
    ooh okey goodluck love you!
  • if you really want something, there's always a way. Don't let your back thing be a problem
  • try this link:

http://www.playpianotoday.com

Dami ko natutunan jan...
  • @ ax30g: The website is perfect! Ang daming piano lessons.

@all guys: I changed my mind regarding the piano lessons to a teacher. Hindi ko mapakawalan ang pera! Hahaha. So, nagsesettle na lang ako sa internet-piano tutorials. Kailangan lang na disiplinado.
  • Tnx and Goodluck!
  • @ ax30g: The website is perfect! Ang daming piano lessons.

@all guys: I changed my mind regarding the piano lessons to a teacher. Hindi ko mapakawalan ang pera! Hahaha. So, nagsesettle na lang ako sa internet-piano tutorials. Kailangan lang na disiplinado.

i've got the dvd, bought it ages ago... u want me to send a copy to you?...tell me how... playing piano is fun, am glad you're into it
  • @plainbrownbox - wow, pareho tayo ng favorite, CALIkOKAT! I specially like his rendition of "Once Upon a Time in the West" ..so perfect! I also like The Last Waltz too.

Like you, self study rin ako pero kailangan talaga iinstill mo ang disiplina sa sarili. Style ko din yang playing by ear, pag hindi ko naririnig ang tune hindi ko makuha yung bagal/bilis sa piyesa. And speaking of Calikocat, I thought madali lang yung Once upon a Time in the West, kasi nakikita ko yung kamay nya gapang lang ng gapang yung left, parang lefthand ng Vera's Theme, pero andami palang liko-liko.

Sinelf study ko lang din yung "Dahil sa Isang Bulaklak" nung college pa ako, and I tell you hanggang ngayon di ko pa rin sya master. Devote 1 hour everyday for your piano playing and don't give up kung may mga notes kang hindi makuha. I'm sure in no time easy peasy na lang yan sayo. If possible memorizin mo yung pyesa...wag kang gagaya sa akin na napakadependent sa pyesa, I can't play without any music sheet in front of me hehehe!!
  • yuuri_cuteyuuri_cute PEx Rookie ⭐
    need advise.... im interested in learning how to play the keyboard but unfortunately im a little short on my budget. im thinking on buying those keyboard that range from 1900-3000.... so far yun brand lang na nakita ko is DAVIS and ANGELES,, yun davis is 3,500p and yun angeles is 2,000p.... mga sir okay na po ba yun mga gantong keyboard for beginner and could you elaborate the cons para ready ko if mag sisi man ako? heheheh thanks in advance....
  • thanks for the links @plainbrownbox.. imma check it out. i know how to play the keyboard palang. really want to learn the piano..
  • actually you can learn playing piano on your own, there's a lot of helpful resources there you can find, search youtube for tutorials. I learned playing piano on my own. I think gift of music does made a great impact on how i learned to play the instrument easily. My family background kasi mostly are musician. I learned playing piano and guitar without the help of anyone. Kung may timbre ang puso mo kayang kaya! kasi ako kinakapa ko lang minsan nagagawa ko. Gift of music is one of the greatest gift one could ever have, like madali mong mapasagot chicks nyan konting harana lang at pakanta kanta lang :love:

My mother is a pianist and she started teaching us how to play the piano when we were very young (three years old). But at the age of six, I didn't want to continue being taught because I would just cry alot because sometimes my playing was not perfect. My mother was a student at UST with a course in Music. It's so sad that my brother and sister and I stopped playing it.

Just recently , I took an interest in piano playing so I searched the internet for online resources on how to play it. Let me tell you it's much much easier when you have a background. It's retained in your mind, the notes, how to read them, hitting the right keys, etc. My mother used to give us warm up exercises first before playing the piece. That's why relearning it is not so difficult.