Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Sci-fi Recommendations

Meron fantasy recommendations asan na yung para sa mga scifi freaks? Naadik ako sa warhammer 40k series (well most military scifi). Kayo ano binabasa ninyo? pic related
4703285762_01a7a85bd9.jpg

Comments

• F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Rookie ⭐
    There are Halo and Starcraft printed novels...
  • anonymongooseanonymongoose PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    ^ a bit too young adult though. I just recently read A Desert Called Peace and the sequel Carnifex by Tom Kratman. It was like reading a republican recruitment pamphlet, was fun though.
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Rookie ⭐
    Well I haven't read sci fi in so long...most of them I forgot. Only the ones I can remember are by Michael Crichton. But that's more 'believable' sci fi than you know, aliens, distant planets and Flash Gordon. LOL.
    The genre has evolved a lot and i read crichtonesque techno thrillers too. I think it also falls in the Scifi category here's the wikipedia link to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction
  • The Sprawl Trilogy (Neuromancer, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Count Zero) by William Gibson. Kinda hard to read though. Gave up reading Idoru after this.
  • Mass-effect series. Kaso dapat nalaro mo din yung games (I & II). Andami tie-ins sa levels. :D
  • Meron fantasy recommendations asan na yung para sa mga scifi freaks? Naadik ako sa warhammer 40k series (well most military scifi). Kayo ano binabasa ninyo? pic related
    4703285762_01a7a85bd9.jpg

I have all the Halo and Starcraft novels. I've always wanted to read Warhammer 40k. Where do I start? Marami kasi eh.

If you're into military sci-fi, you could go with the classic Enderverse by Orson Scott Card. (Ender's Game etc.)

or Canticle for Leibowitz series by Walter Miller.
    I have read canticle. A good place to start with W40k is the Ultramarines Omnibus, its basically 5 books in one or you can start with the lighter Ciaphas Cain: Hero of the Imperium (recommended).
  • EnosEnos PExer
    there is actually a sci-fi thread
    feeling lazy to try & find it now though

Hyperion is still my favorite (the first book, not the series) :D
  • Try the Ender Series by Orson Scott Card that one is pretty great.
    The Trilogy of John Varley is good I think(I've only read the 1st one, "Titan", but that book sold me to find the other books)
    Robert Heinlein books.
  • ender_1111ender_1111 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Worthing Saga ni Orson Scott Card
  • You might also enjoy the books of David Drake, particularly the Hammer's Slammers and Honor Harrington series.

Personally, I prefer hard SF. My all-time favorites are Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy and David Brin's Uplift books.
  • paenggoypaenggoy PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Try the Science Fiction Hall of Fame and SF Masterworks series.
    vonjunzt wrote: »
    You might also enjoy the books of David Drake, particularly the Hammer's Slammers and Honor Harrington series.

Personally, I prefer hard SF. My all-time favorites are Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy and David Brin's Uplift books.

sakit sa ulo kasi ng hard scifi minsan e parang physics/chemistry/bio nung college
  • Geoff Wolak's Magestic.

Download it at http://www.geoffwolak-writing.com/9.html

Magestic is the story of a time traveller, sent back from the future to 1985 to try and fix the world. A calamity awaits in 2025, the world needing to take a different course. Wars need to be avoided, certain politicians disgraced before taking office. But the traveller spends most of his time and energy building up a medical rescue charity.

The book is a political thriller more than sci-fi. Action; wars, humour and some romance.
  • QT IIQT II PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ a bit too young adult though. I just recently read A Desert Called Peace and the sequel Carnifex by Tom Kratman. It was like reading a republican recruitment pamphlet, was fun though.

He also wrote an alternate-history novel, Caliphate, which is partly set in a (Moro-dominated) Philippines - the premise being that Europe has practically become Islamic because of a genetic holocaust
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Arthur C. Clarke's stuff, while dated, is still very fascinating to read!
    QT II wrote: »
    He also wrote an alternate-history novel, Caliphate, which is partly set in a (Moro-dominated) Philippines - the premise being that Europe has practically become Islamic because of a genetic holocaust

ah cool i'll pick it up, thanks QT. Lotus Eaters is out it's the 3rd book of the desert trilogy.
  • quick_benquick_ben PEx Rookie ⭐
    Dune

.Period.