Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature
Tip: Here's an Emoji Cheatsheet for your reference.

Quotes You Don't Understand Or Agree With

Sisimulan ko na, yung, "Customer is always right"

Ibig sabihin pala, kapag customer ka hindi ka na nagkakamali?

O, ikaw naman?

Comments

• "I think therefore I am"

overrated, overused quote.
  • Miseram pacem vel bello bene mutari.

A bad peace is even worse than war.

I'd still prefer peace over war, no matter how bad a peace it is.
  • F-A SoldierF-A Soldier PEx Rookie ⭐
    ^I don't think you understand the context. The original form of bad peace is there is a war/conflict going on but it's not open aggression. Best example of this is the Interwar Period, and The Cold War (when tiny proxy wars, and close atomic bombardment that would have destroyed the world in a few seconds came close to happening).

The difference with open war and 'bad peace' is that all sides are trying to pretend there is no war and that conflict can be avoided, but they're both itching for a fight and know that peace might as well be killing season.

Machiavelli once said "There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others." Sun Tzu said that war should be fought as fast as possible. Why? Because war have a rejuvenating effect. Imagine two men hating each other. Until they actually duke it out they will throw words fight, maybe do things to undermine each other. Tell them to let out their aggression by fighting. Afterward when their aggression is spent they'll shake hands and call it even. The longer you protract 'bad peace' ("peace") the longer it will be until you end the war and gain "real peace".

Aristotle said it best "We make war so that we may live in peace."
  • ^I don't think you understand the context. The original form of bad peace is there is a war/conflict going on but it's not open aggression. Best example of this is the Interwar Period, and The Cold War (when tiny proxy wars, and close atomic bombardment that would have destroyed the world in a few seconds came close to happening).

The difference with open war and 'bad peace' is that all sides are trying to pretend there is no war and that conflict can be avoided, but they're both itching for a fight and know that peace might as well be killing season.

Machiavelli once said "There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others." Sun Tzu said that war should be fought as fast as possible. Why? Because war have a rejuvenating effect. Imagine two men hating each other. Until they actually duke it out they will throw words fight, maybe do things to undermine each other. Tell them to let out their aggression by fighting. Afterward when their aggression is spent they'll shake hands and call it even. The longer you protract 'bad peace' ("peace") the longer it will be until you end the war and gain "real peace".

Aristotle said it best "We make war so that we may live in peace."

^ Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that the 'bad peace' mentioned here is the kind of peace imposed by the victors over the vanquished, like what was imposed on Germany at the end of World War I by the Allies. The terms are so "terrible" from the viewpoint of the Germans that I kinda associated it with the "bad peace" described here. My bad. :D
    haLeberd wrote: »
    ^ Thanks for the clarification. I always thought that the 'bad peace' mentioned here is the kind of peace imposed by the victors over the vanquished, like what was imposed on Germany at the end of World War I by the Allies. The terms are so "terrible" from the viewpoint of the Germans that I kinda associated it with the "bad peace" described here. My bad. :D

Oh it is too. The Interwar Period is the image of Germany being heavily punished that it fascism rose to power. That's what caused WWII. That's why after WWII the US learned from that lesson, that's why it had taken the role it tried to runaway from post WWI, and in the creation of UN with a more active role (compare to the League of Nations). It also established the Bretton Woods system, and rebuilt Europe instead of punishing Germany and leaving the chaos of war to induce another World War or give it to the Soviets.

Interwar period also saw in Japan similar aggression and 'bad peace' in Europe. The Japanese by 1920 was really in deteriorating relations with America (which use to be Japan's no. 1 ally). Most historians consider 1939 the 'real start' of WWII at the onset of Sino-Japanese War, it was only technically after the bombing of Pearl Harbor but Americans knew that the Japs were going to strike.

In Europe some historians consider the Spanish Civil War as the real start of WWII. It's when 'neutral' nation including the US were sending men to fight in behalf of who they want to win. Right before the Pearl Harbor, the 'neutral' Americans had 'volunteers' (pilots) that fought with British (against the Luftwaffe) and with the Chinese (against the Japanese) in Burma.

Other form of 'bad peace': Sinking of the Lusitania by German U-boats who were enticing Americans to fight jump in WWI, impressing American sailors by the British before the War 1812.

War is better than bad peace. The guy that quoted that quote was 'Tacitus' a historian during the Roman Republic (the early years when Rome was expanding and had to deal with diplomacy a lot harder than when they were a lot stronger later on, during the imperial era). He knows what he's talking about.
  • Wow. Ang galing naman ni F-A Soldier may bago akong natutunan. Maraming salamat po.

May mga iba pa po akong quotes na galing talaga sa mga books and philosophers kaso nakalimutan ko.

Post ko na lang dito kapag naalala ko.
  • I don't really no the meaning of, "Post no bill"
    ^don't put posters/signs here.
  • Pero may mga quotes po talaga na di quotable.. and dahil alam nating quotes sila e we try to apply or extract something out of it, though wala naman po talagang meaning. ^__^

for example yung sa movie nila marian at dingdong recently...

(no offense)

yung kapag daw umuulan e sumilong tapos kapag walang masilungan e i-enjoy ang ulan...

alam nating the line is meant for quoting pero wala naman po talaga akong nakuha doon. parang sinabi lang nila na touching (or quotable) yung line, pero nonsense naman po talaga. ^_^ peace.
    "I think therefore I am"

overrated, overused quote.

That's because people, both that quote it and those that think its 'overrated' don't understand the meaning of Descartes' "Cogito, ergo sum" statement. The metaphysical/philosophical concept of 'being' is the basic argument in philosophy. From the ancient Indians to Socrates, from philosophes to the post modernist, nihilist, existentialist--- the subject of 'being' the "I" is the central and most basic question.
  • "you can't have your cake and eat it too"

splain that one to me, lucy.
    ^that's how the saying goes, but the it should be "eat one's cake and have it (another) too"...meaning you can't eat someone's else' after you've already eaten yours/your share.

It's a euphemism for greed and recklessness. You can't do something bad and expect to be seen as a good person; you can't not work out get fat fail the physical test and expect everyone to let you into the fire academy.
  • ^that's how the saying goes, but the it should be "eat one's cake and have it (another) too"...meaning you can't eat someone's else' after you've already eaten yours/your share.

Actually it's about the same cake- once you've eaten it, you can't have it(cake) anymore.
  • pinoy2781pinoy2781 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Sisimulan ko na, yung, "Customer is always right"

Ibig sabihin pala, kapag customer ka hindi ka na nagkakamali?

O, ikaw naman?

overrated ito. :bop: overused/ abused/ most stupid/ misused reason to be rude to sales clerks/ customer service people.

mas prefer ko pa yung: BUYER BEWARE (caveat emptor) *okay*
  • Why didn't Descartes just stated in his quote:

"I think, therefore I exist"

Instead of complicating it?
  • Descartes was French, and he wrote in French (of course).

Blame the translator :lol:
    Bhodi Li wrote: »
    Actually it's about the same cake- once you've eaten it, you can't have it(cake) anymore.

Well I stand corrected. Kudos.
  • I don't like the line: What you see is what you get.

I am drawn to people who are quiet and have a mysterious aura about them.

Also, I don't agree that first impression lasts. Most of the people I know are not what they initially seem to be.
  • if others can why cant i

We have our own limitations.
  • boom_boxboom_box PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    "Kiss me, I'm Irish... "

???