FEATURE ADJUSTMENT: The Flag button is temporarily unavailable for members. We are doing certain system adjustments as of the moment to prevent some users from abusing this feature. For reports, please message the moderators or email us at [email protected]
PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at [email protected] Thank you!

San Beda's Accountancy Curriculum MUST be revamped!!!

wgd25wgd25 Member PExer
Based from the two recent CPA board exams our beloved San Beda posted 70% and 77% in Oct 2009 and May 2010 exams respectively. These are decent passing marks BUT NOT decent enough compared to UP, UST, DLSU.

In order to make these passing marks even higher and perpetuate the quality of the Accountancy program, I think it's time for the program to revise it's curriculum by (1) transferring the MINOR subjects in the 3rd year and 4th year curriculum to 1st year and 2nd year. Compress these MINOR subjects in 1 sem ( e.g. offer them for SUMMER Classes in the 1st year and 2nd year) and (2) including at least 4 months of RIGOROUS and INTENSIVE review before the graduates are deployed for the the actual board.

I am not saying that the curriculum must adopt the Gen. curriculum in the 1st year and 2nd year. What I am saying is that transfer the MINOR subjects in the 3rd and 4th year to 1st and 2nd year SUMMER classes in order to lighten the heavy load in the 3rd and 4th year. So that in their 3rd year and 4th year students will have more time to study the board exam subjects.

Except UP, UST and DLSU have already included a Review program in their curriculum. And for me this is one of the primary factors why they get high results in the actual board. For me, a Review program in the curriculum is INDISPENSABLE because this is the "stage of polishing" the knowledges and skills that the students have acquired at the end of the day. By the time they get into their FORMAL review in various Review centers they would just concentrate on making themselves PERENNIAL TOPNOTCHERS.:):):)

Comments

• kuris5kuris5 Member PExer
    couldnt agree more! our department should be separated from CAS too!
  • Maximum_effortMaximum_effort Member PExer
    If we disaggregate the total passing rates and analyze per category in terms of no. of takes, the results for repeaters are the "more often" reason why the passing rates have dragged down from 85% first-take passers and 90% first-take passers to 70% total and 77% total for the last two consecutive board examinations.

Without personal bias, I don't think the curriculum is the "main" pitfall for the reason that it produced high passing marks from first takers. In addition, the 4th year curriculum includes Accounting Review Workshop Part 1 and Part 2, totaling 6 units.

According to them, most of the repeaters are those who did not perform well in the undergraduate program BUT they are minority in number to justify revamping of undergraduate curriculum, which if done would be disadvantageous for the majority.

I suggest (1) Monitoring of repeaters, if allowable and (2) Uphold the policy rather than be lax for the 3rd year and 4th year.
  • wgd25wgd25 Member PExer
    If we disaggregate the total passing rates and analyze per category in terms of no. of takes, the results for repeaters are the "more often" reason why the passing rates have dragged down from 85% first-take passers and 90% first-take passers to 70% total and 77% total for the last two consecutive board examinations.

Without personal bias, I don't think the curriculum is the "main" pitfall for the reason that it produced high passing marks from first takers. In addition, the 4th year curriculum includes Accounting Review Workshop Part 1 and Part 2, totaling 6 units.

According to them, most of the repeaters are those who did not perform well in the undergraduate program BUT they are minority in number to justify revamping of undergraduate curriculum, which if done would be disadvantageous for the majority.

I suggest (1) Monitoring of repeaters, if allowable and (2) Uphold the policy rather than be lax for the 3rd year and 4th year.

Based from my experience and from my elder brother's experience as well these two subjects are just there to make room for discussion of topics that students have difficulty. The ARW PART 1 is for FinAc topics while ARW PART 2 is for TOA, AdvAc 1 and 2. In other words students do not ACTUALLY REVIEW all the board subjects here.
  • 21guns21guns I've got the looks! PExer
    nose bleed kayo magsalit wgd25 at maximum effort... well, based on my observations sa inyong dalawa, meron kayong mga punto... Sana nga lang, ay maiopen ito sa SBC authority para malaman nila na ganun pala ang kakulangan ng CAS- Accountancy Department.

Wala palang review program ang SBC for the board ah, pero mataas ang rating ng mga first time takers? What more pa kaya kung may review program pa... (Sana nga meron na lang)
  • wgd25 wrote: »
    Based from the two recent CPA board exams our beloved San Beda posted 70% and 77% in Oct 2009 and May 2010 exams respectively. These are decent passing marks BUT NOT decent enough compared to UP, UST, DLSU.

In order to make these passing marks even higher and perpetuate the quality of the Accountancy program, I think it's time for the program to revise it's curriculum by (1) transferring the MINOR subjects in the 3rd year and 4th year curriculum to 1st year and 2nd year. Compress these MINOR subjects in 1 sem ( e.g. offer them for SUMMER Classes in the 1st year and 2nd year) and (2) including at least 4 months of RIGOROUS and INTENSIVE review before the graduates are deployed for the the actual board.

I am not saying that the curriculum must adopt the Gen. curriculum in the 1st year and 2nd year. What I am saying is that transfer the MINOR subjects in the 3rd and 4th year to 1st and 2nd year SUMMER classes in order to lighten the heavy load in the 3rd and 4th year. So that in their 3rd year and 4th year students will have more time to study the board exam subjects.

Except UP, UST and DLSU have already included a Review program in their curriculum. And for me this is one of the primary factors why they get high results in the actual board. For me, a Review program in the curriculum is INDISPENSABLE because this is the "stage of polishing" the knowledges and skills that the students have acquired at the end of the day. By the time they get into their FORMAL review in various Review centers they would just concentrate on making themselves PERENNIAL TOPNOTCHERS.:):):)

Sana nga:):bop:

I am from UST. I was a student of Maam Robles. She mentioned that she proposed a review for beda. (UST does not have a "formal review" - all we have are summer classes that are as hard as hell. DLSU - from what I've heard - has an inhouse "board operations" of some sort.)

I think Beda has Prac1 review na din naman. :bop:
  • andrade16andrade16 :D PExer
    wgd25 wrote: »

i totally agree! :)
  • arch_dmb_68arch_dmb_68 Member PExer
    to all san beda accounting student,could you please tell me how much the current tuition fee for accounting, per units or how much the total cost per sem..thanks please reply
  • dmbancodmbanco Member PExer
    hi,hello to all, ask ko lang kung magkano ang tuition fee ng accounting sa san beda taytay per sem or per year,thanks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file