Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Wall Climbing: Power Up Centro Atletico

So a friend took me to Centro Atletico Cubao yesterday, and I instantly fell in love with wall climbing. Traversing was easy enough for me and I was climbing up and down in 10 minutes. I think I climbed a total of 8 times in more or less 2 hours, not too bad for a first-timer (or so my friend tells me anyway, haha)

Two things I realized that I fail at:

1. It's all about the grip. I sweat like Irish cheese, and chalk can only help so much. I really, really need to work on my grip. If you work out at Eclipse Shaw & you see a guy hoarding the chalk, that's probably me
2. Stamina. I hate running/biking/anything that burns slowly (hence I prefer quick, heavy sets). Buti na lang pwede umupo sa harness pag sobra na sa lactic acid buildup, LOL

Anyone else around here who climbs? Tara!

Comments

• vinoivinoi PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    I've always wanted to try this wala lang akong makitang malapit sa akin. Meron pala sa cubao ayos a.
  • So a friend took me to Centro Atletico Cubao yesterday, and I instantly fell in love with wall climbing. Traversing was easy enough for me and I was climbing up and down in 10 minutes. I think I climbed a total of 8 times in more or less 2 hours, not too bad for a first-timer (or so my friend tells me anyway, haha)

Two things I realized that I fail at:

1. It's all about the grip. I sweat like Irish cheese, and chalk can only help so much. I really, really need to work on my grip. If you work out at Eclipse Shaw & you see a guy hoarding the chalk, that's probably me
    2. Stamina. I hate running/biking/anything that burns slowly (hence I prefer quick, heavy sets). Buti na lang pwede umupo sa harness pag sobra na sa lactic acid buildup, LOL

Anyone else around here who climbs? Tara!

sunday lang kayo? i wish to join...;)
  • interested here. saan sa cubao?
  • Centro Atletico is in North Rd cor West Rd Cubao QC. North Rd is across EDSA from Makro (before Araneta if you're northbound). Dulo ng North Rd is Centro Atletico. We'll be there on Saturday 3pm. I'll be with at least 5 other friends. The fee is 240 (rental for harness + climbing shoes) or you can bring your own gear if you have + P20 membership if this is your first time.

porroy: I followed you on Twitter so I can DM you if the plans change (@NOTj***).

Everyone else: PM me your Twitter/email/mobile #s if you want me to DM/email/text you re: this Saturday's climb. Climbers max out at 6-8 and a lot of the walls are empty most of the time, so the more people, the better :D
  • Saan banda yung Power Up sa tiendesitas? Bukas pa ba yun?
  • nolliejaynolliejay PEx Rookie ⭐
    we tried climbing there (power up, quezon city) last saturday. it was a good experience :D

climb ulit kami this coming saturday
  • sa southmall dati meron, nawala nung nagrenovate
  • The trick to rock climbing is to use your lower body as much as possible and conserve your upper body strength.

There is an excellent rock climbing facility at Market Market.
  • The trick to rock climbing is to use your lower body as much as possible and conserve your upper body strength.

There is an excellent rock climbing facility at Market Market.

Yes, and it's cheaper too. *okay*
  • hi o, how much po dun sa market, market?
  • joslaterjoslater PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Guys I need a climbing buddy or belayer. And how much yung sa Market market? Yung Power Up in QC pa lang yung natry ko eh. PM me if you're interested.
  • jaicee.viixijaicee.viixi PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Up! Hi, gusto namin try ng couz ko yung wall climbing. Kanino kami pwede maki-join dito? :D
  • s_ks_k PExer
    tried this and survived, climbed the 4 beginner walls. have to master the technique to use leg power yet though. my first climb talaga pagod na pagod ang forearms ko, but the next ones were better. ang hirap kasi tandaan to use the legs knowing that you have to hold on for dear life. basically, i tried this activity to overcome fear of heights and i enjoyed it naman.

di pala namin ni-try yung belaying, we hired a belayer. i just couldn't stand the thought that i will be responsible for a person's life (or fall to death). hehehe.
    My couz and I are going to climb this sunday, it's our first time. Sana may maka-join kami from PEx :)
  • joslater wrote: »
    Guys I need a climbing buddy or belayer. And how much yung sa Market market? Yung Power Up in QC pa lang yung natry ko eh. PM me if you're interested.

i just passed by camp sandugo market market yesterday
    the rates are- P140 unlimited climb and P340 unlimited climb w/instructor

as i understand kasama na yung gamit dito

they're open 12nn to 9pm

they teach bouldering din daw. thats something i want to try
  • Hi,

Good eve guys!

Try sana namin dito pero nakita ko sa FB page nila di pa pala kasama yong belayer. That means aside sa

Walk-in Climbing Rates:
    Adult-P150

Gear Rental:
    Shoes-P40
    Harness-P30

We still have to pay 200/hour for the belayer.
    And do we really need to rent shoes?
    Hindi ba pwede rubber shoes or any like sandugo/tribu sandals?
    Pakiclear naman please.

proudShy wrote: »
    Hi,

Good eve guys!

Try sana namin dito pero nakita ko sa FB page nila di pa pala kasama yong belayer. That means aside sa

Walk-in Climbing Rates:
    Adult-P150

Gear Rental:
    Shoes-P40
    Harness-P30

We still have to pay 200/hour for the belayer.
    And do we really need to rent shoes?
    Hindi ba pwede rubber shoes or any like sandugo/tribu sandals?
    Pakiclear naman please.

Hello, we just had our first wall climbing session at Centro last wednesday. It was fun :) 240 yung total na binayaran namin per person included na ang unlimited climbing, shoes, and harness. For the belayer, hindi na kami nag-hire, since 2 naman kami ng couz ko, kami na lang nag-belay para sa isa't-isa. Tuturuan naman kayo mag-belay dun, madali lang :) saka mabait yung nag-aasist. For shoes naman, hindi ako sure kung pwede yung sandugo or tribu sandals. As far as I know, kailangan manipis yung sole ng shoes para may kapit pa din habang umaakyat sa wall.
  • Hello, we just had our first wall climbing session at Centro last wednesday. It was fun :) 240 yung total na binayaran namin per person included na ang unlimited climbing, shoes, and harness. For the belayer, hindi na kami nag-hire, since 2 naman kami ng couz ko, kami na lang nag-belay para sa isa't-isa. Tuturuan naman kayo mag-belay dun, madali lang :) saka mabait yung nag-aasist. For shoes naman, hindi ako sure kung pwede yung sandugo or tribu sandals. As far as I know, kailangan manipis yung sole ng shoes para may kapit pa din habang umaakyat sa wall.

Hi,
    Thanks. Tried it today.. Pumayag naman sila na di magrent ng shoes as long as convenient. Yup correct mabait nga si Kuya.
    Sarap papawis.. First climb ko pinagpawisan na ko kagad whew :)
    Konti nga lang kami kanina eh.. Til next climb :)
    @proudShy, hope to see you there on our next climb :)
  • ask ko lang po sana, ilang walls po ba dyan sa cubao po? okay po ba i traverse? kasi sa market 4 walls lang ata yun. hihi pero okay na okay pag climb talaga habol mo.. im for traversing kasi, in lieu of running. :)