Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Work out for better athletic performance

LimpBwiZitLimpBwiZit PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
sa mga nagwo-work out to improve their performance in sports activities, please share your program and kung ano ang goal, and the results, so far.

Comments

• blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    ^ This has always been my objective ever since
  • LimpBwiZitLimpBwiZit PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    hi blake!

may problem ako with loose grip (on a tennis racket) and wrist flick. i wanna have both - tight grip but flexible wrist. problem lang, when i tighten my grip, nagiging tight din ang wrist ko, kaya i can't make flicks to create angles when hitting the ball.

pat etcheberry, where are you?
    Do you do any grip traiing??
    ^not a gym-goer here.

what's a grip training?
    ^ Sabi na nga eh..

1. you can start by buying grippers..

2. you'll need some light dumbbells and do forearm flexors and extensors

3. go to a gym it will do your game good
  • ano maganda program sa mga nag mamarathon?

i do 10k pero pagdating sa gitna ng race para akong mawawalan ng hininga.

ano ba dapat maganda gawin para hindi ako mapagod kaagad?
    ^ May running program ka na??
  • ^^^ lawn tennis ba yan o table tennis ?
  • I really wish I had time to do sports/martial arts in my schedule. It's tough enough finding time to train 3x/wk, as it is. :(
    blakedaddy wrote: »
    ^ Sabi na nga eh..

1. you can start by buying grippers..

2. you'll need some light dumbbells and do forearm flexors and extensors

3. go to a gym it will do your game good

rocket science for me :lol:

i'll google them up and find out what they mean.

going to the gym is not an option for me. i hate to say it but the gym is very distracting, ie, sisimula ako to improve athletic performance, then i'll end up sculpting my body to look like a model.

i did some gym before to strengthen my lower back (for windsurfing), andaming pakialamero, all thinking that we're going to the gym to look better. and somehow, they make you feel bad about yourself.

@squelch: the real tennis (won't call it lawn coz i play on cement)

i think hindi bagay sa tennis players ang masculado. legs lang ang masculado sa tennis players. mga pros, almost all of them are lanky, except for nadal. i think it affects your reflexes and mobility kung masyado kang toned.
    going to the gym is not an option for me. i hate to say it but the gym is very distracting, ie, sisimula ako to improve athletic performance, then i'll end up sculpting my body to look like a model.

You can improve both at the same time if you know hot to train right
    i did some gym before to strengthen my lower back (for windsurfing), andaming pakialamero, all thinking that we're going to the gym to look better.

simple solution WAG MO SILA INTINDIHIN
    i think hindi bagay sa tennis players ang masculado. legs lang ang masculado sa tennis players. mga pros, almost all of them are lanky, except for nadal. i think it affects your reflexes and mobility kung masyado kang toned.

Sampras and Agassi were quite built... If you don't train your sport then you will become slow
    ^yeah, medyo built sina agassi and sampras, though hindi the masculado type, and certainly, hindi sila yong punit-punit type, and they're the big hitter types kaya ganun (they generate power from upper body, with big swings and strong follow-throughs).

i fall in the andy murray/djokovic category (who use body weight to add power to the ball), kaya a small frame works for me coz my whole body moves when i hit the ball ( as opposed to forearm players like sampras, federer, nadal, etc).

madali lang sabihin na wag intindihin, pero it sticks in your head when they begin commenting about your pecs, biceps, shoulder width, etc. it's not easy to ignore their comments esp. coz you know na hindi nga maganda yang parts na yan ng katawan mo.
    ^ I'm not that familiar with Tennis but I have watched a few games to understand it to a competent level..

We actually do a drill which mimicks how tennis is played...

now, going back to your dilemma, will you now please consider going to the gym or doing some sort of resistance traning??

where are you located to begin with??
    ^

"resistance training" ...google again :lol:

the fort ko pre (when i'm in manila, but 2 wks in, 2 wks out of MetroManila ako). i do intend to hit the gym pag nagsimula na ang rainy season coz limited na naman ang sports activities ko pagdating ng tag-ulan.

i'm just asking about grip/wrist workouts coz i'm switching to lighter racquets coz nahihirapan na ako maghanap ng aking old school heavy racquet (stefan edberg era pa...lol), and i know it's gonna create problems with wrist control and grip coz mas powerful ang lighter racquets.
    ^ You work in for or stay in fort??

how about paying my facility a visit and I'll let you train free for a day and allow you to pick my brain the whole time you're there???

from what I see we need to strengthen your whole body especially your forearms
  • blakedaddy wrote: »
    ^ May running program ka na??

wala. basta weeks before the marathon, i would run "till the cows come home" sa treadmill o paikot sa boni high street.
  • i think all athletes must hit the gym in order for their performance to improve. no buts no ifs.

i saw some athletes, basketball player, boxer, runners, who train in our gym. hindi naman maganda katawan nila. oh well me iba na maganda ang katawan like eric menk, pero *** iba hindi naman maganda.

i think their goal is not really to have a model-like body. secondary nalang siguro ang pagpapaganda ng katawan. it follows na rin siguro na pag nag ggym ka, gaganda katawan mo pero ang main goal nila ay to improve their performance.

so i think ALL athletes must train para gumanda ang kanilang performance. No excuses. Thats bull.
  • @LimpBwiZit: i've been playing tennis the past 20 years (but on & off especially during college days). i used to have a very weak wrist but good thing i decided to work-out start of this year. i actually don't do isolated wrist/grip workouts at the gym though i started with those hand grip exerciser you can buy at sports shops like tobys & chris. i do whole-body workout and it has helped me in all aspects of the game.

i think my forearm got stronger in the process of doing bicep/tricep exercises. racket used to slip too much especially when i play against big hitters but i can handle it much better now.

i agree with you, a tennis player need not be too bulky/muscular cause it might affect mobility. all these top pros though do have a work-out routine to improve their game. agassi when he started out late 80s used to be so skinny. he built his legacy through getting physically stronger to supplement his incredible talent.

hit the gym! i guarantee you it will help your game.
  • blue_agave wrote: »

^
    this ones' very effective, combination of strength training and plyometrics, but you can still add more plyo exercises for speed and agility... consider plyometrics