Home PEx Hobbies Cars and Motoring

What to buy? Lancer, Vios or City

I need your advice. Ano maganda sa tatlo? Lancer, Vios or City. I need pros and cons please.

Comments

• BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    if you base on newness, then get the city.

pero practicality, get the lancer. atleast you get a bigger car.
  • no contest if your referring to the new generation lancer
  • marui63t wrote: »
    no contest if your referring to the new generation lancer

I'm referring to Lancer GLS CVT not the Lancer EX. What's your comments?
  • CLYCLY PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    1.) City - Pros: new look, nice interior/exteriors, fuel efficient, reliable, value for money, good resale value
    - Cons: generally more expensive than vios/lancer, common vehicle wont standout

2.) Vios - Pros: fuel efficient, very cheap 599k for vios j which is all power by the way, reliable, good resale value, value for money, more parts available than city because it is used as taxi
    - Cons: a very common car, wont stand out and used as taxi

3.) Lancer - Pros: illussion and feel of a bigger car? i think city and vios might just have the same leg room as this vehicle.
    - Cons: it's an old model, gas guzzler compared to vios and city, parts are more expensive than city/vios, tie rod, balljoints breaks down easier than vios/city, low resale value
  • CLY wrote: »
    3.) Lancer - Pros: illussion and feel of a bigger car? i think city and vios might just have the same leg room as this vehicle.
    - Cons: it's an old model, gas guzzler compared to vios and city, parts are more expensive than city/vios, tie rod, balljoints breaks down easier than vios/city, low resale value

Parts are NOT cheaper than the city. In fact, parts for this Lancer are a lot easier to find than the Honda, hence, cheaper.

Can you please cite sources for your tie rod and balljoint issue?

The GLS Lancer has:

6-gear CVT,
    2 airbags,
    4 disc brakes

Not a bad deal if you're looking for a safe and practical car in the 600+ thou range. And yes, it is a bigger car.

Disclaimer: don't own a lancer gls or any other lancer
  • lancer ako

better handling
  • For the lancer paps, you can check the cedia crew of MLPH of the problems that they have already encountered.

http://www.mitsulancerph.net/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=newmodels
  • i have first hand experience driving a city and a lancer. vios (1.3), passenger lang.

all of them are fuel efficient (about 10 km/l city driving) city and vios, having a little less displacement and smaller frame (thus lighter), MIGHT be a little more fuel efficient.

city - surprisingly agile even at low rpm. handling is ok. not too spacious esp. at the back.

lancer - sluggish, good for long drives as it drives steady and has good mid range power. handling is excellent. more spacious than both.

vios - sluggish too (1.3), drives like a cow, like its older brother, altis, more spacious than the city.

vios and city are subcompacts
    lancer is a compact car.

maybe you're comparing based on price?

just buy what fulfill your needs most and/or buy what your heart desires. (sounds cliche-ish but it's true actually)

here (by rank):
    performance = city, lancer, vios.
    space = lancer, vios, city
    resale value = vios/city, lancer

durability is relative. if you drive ANY car like you stole it... need i explain more?

good luck!
    Yep. dated lang yung lancer. pero if you base it on 'best buy' among the three, it's the lancer - easy

best buy and practicality. at the end of the day, you end up with a bigger car parin.
  • CLYCLY PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    My sources are my friends who owned a 2003 and 2005 Lancer. They have replaced their tie rod/ball joints already.

I've hitch hike with their Lancers and its just my opinion that the Lancer has inferior quality, it feels and sounds harder on the bumps and you can also judge by the way it sounds when you close the doors. The materials used in the interior are inferior. It's prone to rattling in the long run.

Btw, they sold their Lancers last year. 2003 gls a/t - 325k, 2005 gls m/t - 340k. I sold my 04 vios a/t at 410k last 2009.

Dont you think their is good reason why the market values the lancer lower than city/vios?

disclaimer: this is just my opinion, i am in no way an expert on cars. so its your right to disagree with me. i respect that.
  • save up and get the new gen. lancer more power yet fuel efficient

and of course bigger.
    "Dont you think their is good reason why the market values the lancer lower than city/vios?"

yep, the lancer does indeed have lesser resale value. we agree. pero if you plan on using the car for a long time naman, okay lang.

tie rod/ ball joints replaced after 6 to 7 years sa LOCAL ROAD CONDITIONS natin is already a good thing.

the fact that they've sold their cars already also suggest they've used the car heavily.
  • CLY wrote: »
    My sources are my friends who owned a 2003 and 2005 Lancer. They have replaced their tie rod/ball joints already.

I've hitch hike with their Lancers and its just my opinion that the Lancer has inferior quality, it feels and sounds harder on the bumps and you can also judge by the way it sounds when you close the doors. The materials used in the interior are inferior. It's prone to rattling in the long run.

Btw, they sold their Lancers last year. 2003 gls a/t - 325k, 2005 gls m/t - 340k. I sold my 04 vios a/t at 410k last 2009.

Dont you think their is good reason why the market values the lancer lower than city/vios?

disclaimer: this is just my opinion, i am in no way an expert on cars. so its your right to disagree with me. i respect that.

the answer to your question is brand image.

resale value doesn't tell the whole story.

in germany, vw tends to have higher resale value than ford, fiat, seat etc, when it comes to the economy car segment (our altis, civic, lancer etc. scene here)

golf will eat alteas and focuses in the resale value division anytime, can we say it has better quality than both? maybe yes, maybe no, no one can really tell. but resale value is more relative to brand image than anything else (vm = beetle = 1940's = germany, get my drift?)

corolla in the philippines = beetle in germany.
    toyota in the philippines = vw in germany.
    === brand image

if you plan on keeping the car for good / more than ten years, resale value should come last in mind, like what beerhandbop said.

if you will dispose the car in less than 5 years, by all means, get a honda or toyota. (vios or city)

like what i said before, buy what fulfills your needs the most, and buy what you like.

good luck!
  • to add, although somewhat OT.

i'm starting to like the latest suzuki swift.

wala lang. it's just that it's cbu japan, and between a ckd or non cbu japan car, and a cbu japan one, i'd take the latter any time, any day...

some of cbu japan cars offered here:

toyota camry (latest model)
    lancer ex (latest model)
    lancer evo (x)
    suzuki swift (latest model)
    nissan 350z
    nissan murano
    toyota lc (latest model)
    suzuki vitara (latest model)
    mazda miata (latest model)
    hmm ano pa ba...

you might want to check 'em out.

hehe
  • ^^ +1

The CBU's that we've had (Germany, US and Jap) have all lasted at least 15 years with our family, with the current record holder being an 85 galant (EU spec).

Btw, the Lancer EX will soon move to SKD's from CBU's.
  • Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll just test drive first before I buy but as of now, I'm think a City is best for me because I'm planning to sell it after 3 years. I need the higher resale value.

FYI, I'll be buying my first car so forgive me for my ignorance.

If you guys can also give me a review about Mazda 2. Is it a good car? Better than the three (lancer, vios, city)?
  • CLYCLY PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll just test drive first before I buy but as of now, I'm think a City is best for me because I'm planning to sell it after 3 years. I need the higher resale value.

If you guys can also give me a review about Mazda 2. Is it a good car? Better than the three (lancer, vios, city)?

stick with the city. mazda's are not known for their resale value and its easier to sell the city. just my opinion....dont want to ruffle the feathers of other car owners ;)
  • Thank you everyone for your comments. I'll just test drive first before I buy but as of now, I'm think a City is best for me because I'm planning to sell it after 3 years. I need the higher resale value.

:confused: For a first car, better make it your best investment since being able to sell it would mean that you would buy a newer car and add additional money for it.

AFAIK, the ROI for a brand new vehicle is commonly expected within 5 years. Since this is the common life span of the parts that would break and give you a headache.
  • brand new ba o 2nd hand?
  • lansangel wrote: »
    :confused: For a first car, better make it your best investment since being able to sell it would mean that you would buy a newer car and add additional money for it.

AFAIK, the ROI for a brand new vehicle is commonly expected within 5 years. Since this is the common life span of the parts that would break and give you a headache.

That's why I want to sell it after 3 years so it will still have a good value. I don't want to wait 5 years when it starts to break down.

I want to sell it after 3 years to upgrade to a bigger car. Gusto ko na sana ng rav4 or a CRV pero I don't have the DP for it and I don't think I can pay for the monthly. Atat na ako bumili di ko na kaya mag ipon pa. hehehehe. I'll just settle for a smaller car for now. First car ko naman eh.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.