Home PEx Lifestyle Body and Fitness
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Fellow Ladies

Where are ya folks? Am I the only female here that's trying to get into better shape? :hmm:

What's ur daily diet/workout like? Any success stories? :)

Comments

• I didn't really do much of diets coz I wanted something I could sustain.

Basically moderate what I ate. Initially did the whole no red meat diet (siguro 6 mos din), but I'm back to meats again. During the first 6 months 3x/wk 1-2hr workout sa gym. Then I hired a trainor coz I didn't see much results. In a year, I'm half my size na.

I don't believe in "instant slimming" kasi. I realized a change in lifestyle is what I need.

At first kasi you won't notice any change in your body. Mga 6 months parang walang nangyayari. Tapos after 8 mos parang ang bilis ko nang pumayat. Napansin na ng lahat. And maganda ang pagka-payat ko kasi hindi yung tipong parang mayroon akong sakit.

I also don't eat much na. Yung portions ko, naturally became smaller than what it used to. But I still eat what i like: my daily dose of starbucks, everything from Salad to dessert.

Now I only workout 2x a week, pero consistent pa rin naman. Then I join mga funruns for variety and additional cardio. I'm happy. I don't feel like I'm forcing myself to exercise. It's like part of my routine na.

I like it that way. Mas sustainable.
  • I doubt I can take out meat out of my diet. Lol. It's a good source of Iron, which I need coz I'm lacking. I hope that when I do reach my goal, I can maintain it like u have. It can probably motivate me to eat healthier coz at the moment, I'm calorie-counting below the recommended. I have a problem with discipline kasi. I have this crazed urge of eating something sweet after eating something salty. Salty, sweet, salty, sweet ...and it goes on. I need to see a bit of results first otherwise, the dedication goes out the window. Hence, instant slimming. Lol. If I can discipline myself to limit my calorie-intake for a while, the mind set to maintain the lost weight will most likely be there, later on. Hey, I 've done it for Easter! Discipline. No meat the entire Lenten Season! Lol. Ok, I'm blabbing.

Why do u think it took 8 months? Is it because of the trainer? Hey, u definitely have a success story :). What's ur workout routine like?
  • hard-core carnivore here! :lol: my daily diet usually consists of meat. not a big fish fan, so my staples are normally eggs, beef, pork, and chicken. i don't eat any sweets, and not much carbs on weekdays. if i have a craving for sweets, i usually have something sugar-free. i don't drink alcohol anymore. i do have a cheat day every weekend (and sometimes it becomes cheat days if i'm feeling lax).

i train with weights 3-4 times a week, with very little cardio. :) i enjoy weights a lot more than cardio, and i notice that my body responds to it a lot better, composition-wise. *okay*
  • hi what do you think is better for someone who is into losing weight, cardo first or weights ?
  • hard-core carnivore here! :lol: my daily diet usually consists of meat. not a big fish fan, so my staples are normally eggs, beef, pork, and chicken. i don't eat any sweets, and not much carbs on weekdays. if i have a craving for sweets, i usually have something sugar-free. i don't drink alcohol anymore. i do have a cheat day every weekend (and sometimes it becomes cheat days if i'm feeling lax).

i train with weights 3-4 times a week, with very little cardio. :) i enjoy weights a lot more than cardio, and i notice that my body responds to it a lot better, composition-wise. *okay*

Not a fish fan? :eek: Atleast u don't really eat sweets. I can't do that ...lol. What are good sugar-free food? I also have cheat days since my whole family gets together during Sunday lunch :rotflmao:. I can't avoid eating what's in front of me but I do portion my food.

So with weights, ur body has more definition or?
    jCjCjC wrote: »
    hi what do you think is better for someone who is into losing weight, cardo first or weights ?

I'm thinking cardio. Ur body's burning fat faster that way but really, I'm not so sure. I also want to know :).
  • OperativeLawsonOperativeLawson PEx Rookie ⭐
    Me, I do a home work out program called P90X. I do it 5x a week alternating between weights and cardio. The exercises vary from Yoga, Kenpo, plyo, etc. so it doesn't get that boring. Minsan nga lang nakakatamad talagang magwork-out kasi super INIT!

As with my diet, I eat anything! Soda, ice cream, and fried goodies maybe once or twice a week. I try not to deprive myself. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing insane results yet, but I do feel stronger and more flexible, and I've also lost some inches around my waist.*okay*
  • Basically i eat anything! =) Meat and rice of course because i need carbs and protein. I need all the energy in playing ultimate frisbee which of course consists of sprinting and running. I play disc 2-3 times a week.There goes my cardio. =)

i lift weights 2-3 times a week. Cardio first for 20 mins then weights for 1-1.5 hours then 20 mins of inclined walking. I've been lifting weights for two months pa lang. I have scrawny arms so mejo di ko pa pansin mas noticeable yung shoulders and back. =)

I only do upper body work-out, including core and abs. Have no plans of working out my legs haha =)

Target ko is to have flatter abs and toned arms... =)
  • Me, I do a home work out program called P90X. I do it 5x a week alternating between weights and cardio. The exercises vary from Yoga, Kenpo, plyo, etc. so it doesn't get that boring. Minsan nga lang nakakatamad talagang magwork-out kasi super INIT!

As with my diet, I eat anything! Soda, ice cream, and fried goodies maybe once or twice a week. I try not to deprive myself. Maybe that's why I'm not seeing insane results yet, but I do feel stronger and more flexible, and I've also lost some inches around my waist.*okay*

I've heard of P90X. I do all my workout at home except for when I do my jogging which ...hmmmm, I need to do more of. U got me curious now. I shall read about it :D.
    cococola wrote: »
    Basically i eat anything! =) Meat and rice of course because i need carbs and protein. I need all the energy in playing ultimate frisbee which of course consists of sprinting and running. I play disc 2-3 times a week.There goes my cardio. =)

i lift weights 2-3 times a week. Cardio first for 20 mins then weights for 1-1.5 hours then 20 mins of inclined walking. I've been lifting weights for two months pa lang. I have scrawny arms so mejo di ko pa pansin mas noticeable yung shoulders and back. =)

I only do upper body work-out, including core and abs. Have no plans of working out my legs haha =)

Target ko is to have flatter abs and toned arms... =)

Nice! I used to go the gym, once upon a time. I spent it all the Elliptical machine. Hehe. It was only an hour ...lol. It was satisfying though coz I'd burned off 500+ calories every time.

Lifting weights for more than an hour? Nice. What kind of exercises do u do with 'em?

We're on the same boat with working out the abs. I also want to focus on my inner thigh.
  • ^I alternate these programs

Program 1
    1. Deadlifts
    2. Pull ups (pero di ko kaya so yung next 3 yung substitute)
    - Lat pull down
    - Seated cable rows
    - Reverse grip lat pull down
    3. Stiff arm pulls
    4. Seated Bench press
    5. Seated Fly
    6. Tricep press
    7. Tricep pushdown
    8. Bicep curls
    9. then yung equipment for abs (sorry i forgot the name)
    10. lastly, yung equipment for crunches (core)
    11. Dumbbell Side bend

Program 2
    Supposedly kasama lower body but i skip them, i go straight to: =)
    1. Front dumbbell raises
    2. Dumbbell presses
    3. Lateral raises
    4. Upright rows
    5. then yung equipment for abs
    6. lastly, yung equipment for crunches (core)
    7. Dumbbell side bend

Mejo matagal yung Program 1 cause dinagdagan ng 3 substitutes cause i can't do pull ups. So there =)

Yung sa ab/core work out ako lang nagdagdag =) i kinda figured working out my core would also benefit me in playing competitive disc. =)
  • blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    hi what do you think is better for someone who is into losing weight, cardo first or weights ?

1. proper eating habits
    2. weights
    3. interval training

sorry, but spending hours on the treadmill or elliptical in hopes of burning fat isn't a good idea
  • Great to see that the women are getting more involved.

@cococola - you might wanna tweak your program, you're doing tons of exercises there.
  • jCjCjC wrote: »

^^ what blakedaddy said. weights and cleaning up your diet is key. two of my trainees right now have lost 10 lbs each in the last 1 1/2 months with only weight training and fixing their diet. at medyo pasaway pa sila nun.
    RedCandy wrote: »
    Not a fish fan? :eek: Atleast u don't really eat sweets. I can't do that ...lol. What are good sugar-free food? I also have cheat days since my whole family gets together during Sunday lunch :rotflmao:. I can't avoid eating what's in front of me but I do portion my food.

So with weights, ur body has more definition or?

Cheat days are ok. sometimes you even need them. but this entails that you've been a good girl all week and stuck to your diet. :) no, not a fish fan -- i get my protein mostly from land-based animals.

with weights, my waistline went from 29 to 25, and i generally have a lot more definition. i lost a lot more fat than i ever did doing hours of cardio and eating salads for lunch. *okay*
  • Great to see that the women are getting more involved.

@cococola - you might wanna tweak your program, you're doing tons of exercises there.

Yeah I guess so. But I get to the gym 2x a week. Super swerte na if 3 days. I get my cardio on other days because I play. So the cardio that I do in the gym pang warm up Lang. Super nakaka bitin pag onti Lang. I got these programs from an instructor. The ab/core training, ako lang nagdagdag.
  • cococola wrote: »
    ^I alternate these programs

Program 1
    1. Deadlifts
    2. Pull ups (pero di ko kaya so yung next 3 yung substitute)
    - Lat pull down
    - Seated cable rows
    - Reverse grip lat pull down
    3. Stiff arm pulls
    4. Seated Bench press
    5. Seated Fly
    6. Tricep press
    7. Tricep pushdown
    8. Bicep curls
    9. then yung equipment for abs (sorry i forgot the name)
    10. lastly, yung equipment for crunches (core)
    11. Dumbbell Side bend

Program 2
    Supposedly kasama lower body but i skip them, i go straight to: =)
    1. Front dumbbell raises
    2. Dumbbell presses
    3. Lateral raises
    4. Upright rows
    5. then yung equipment for abs
    6. lastly, yung equipment for crunches (core)
    7. Dumbbell side bend

Mejo matagal yung Program 1 cause dinagdagan ng 3 substitutes cause i can't do pull ups. So there =)

Yung sa ab/core work out ako lang nagdagdag =) i kinda figured working out my core would also benefit me in playing competitive disc. =)

Holy CRAP! That's intense in my book. I had to look up most of the things u said :lol:. I'm a beginner-beginner. Lol. I was trying to focus on my triceps by doing dumbbell tricep extensions and dumbbell kickbacks but I'm really focused on my abs and inner thighs.
    blakedaddy wrote: »
    1. proper eating habits
    2. weights
    3. interval training

sorry, but spending hours on the treadmill or elliptical in hopes of burning fat isn't a good idea

I'm scared of weights. I'm ridiculous. I need proper knowledge on this so more reading for me. I still need to get familiar with interval training as well. I guess jogging then walking then jogging, etc. is sort of like interval training?
    ^^ what blakedaddy said. weights and cleaning up your diet is key. two of my trainees right now have lost 10 lbs each in the last 1 1/2 months with only weight training and fixing their diet. at medyo pasaway pa sila nun.

Cheat days are ok. sometimes you even need them. but this entails that you've been a good girl all week and stuck to your diet. :) no, not a fish fan -- i get my protein mostly from land-based animals.

with weights, my waistline went from 29 to 25, and i generally have a lot more definition. i lost a lot more fat than i ever did doing hours of cardio and eating salads for lunch. *okay*

I've always thought that with weights, u're really focused on everything else but the stomach area. What kind of weight exercises target the abs?
  • cococola wrote: »
    Yeah I guess so. But I get to the gym 2x a week. Super swerte na if 3 days. I get my cardio on other days because I play. So the cardio that I do in the gym pang warm up Lang. Super nakaka bitin pag onti Lang. I got these programs from an instructor. The ab/core training, ako lang nagdagdag.

Quality over Quantity.

Train harder not longer.

Ditch your instructor.
  • blakedaddy wrote: »
    1. proper eating habits
    2. weights
    3. interval training

not really hours, this is my routine when i hit the gym

30min cardio ( warming up )
    and almst 1 hour with weights ( machines, etc,)
    then 10-20min cardio after

is this right ? :|
  • blakedaddyblakedaddy Moderator PEx Expert 🎖️
    not really hours, this is my routine when i hit the gym

30min cardio ( warming up )
    and almst 1 hour with weights ( machines, etc,)
    then 10-20min cardio after

is this right ?

You don't need 30 minutes to warm-up...

and you need to do more free weights than machines...
  • RedCandy wrote: »
    I've always thought that with weights, u're really focused on everything else but the stomach area. What kind of weight exercises target the abs?

things like tricep extensions and dumbbell kickbacks aren't going to do anything for your abs. :) compound movements like squats and deadlifts do. but remember -- your abs aren't gonna come out, no matter how much you train them, if there's a layer of fat on top of it. so better to focus more on losing fat in general rather than doing "ab work." same thing goes for the inner thigh.

try reading through this: http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym
  • pretenred1pretenred1 Member PEx Icon 🎖️🎖️🎖️
    my turn to share my long battle of losing weight :)
    been reading, and posting in B&F for quite sometime
    i got frustrated that eventhough I go to gym often... the pounds shed off is so minimal
    and I found out that the biggest cause of it is my way of eating
    I eat a lot, matakaw in short
    also I have PCOS that is also a factor that despite of an active lifestyle hindi ako napayat
    based on experience and reading a lot of articles i plan my meal and decided to eat healthy and in in moderation
    so I asked my mama what to cook and I plan my meal
    I want to share my diet
    1. breakfast:
    > cereal meal (I just want something hot to start my day) and I put on muelix
    > multivitamins (i decided to take this because from the past, when I try to lose weight, I got sick and
    I experience massive hair fall)
    2. meal before lunch
    >munch some muelix (parang pampatawid gutom lang)
    3. lunch
    >normal lunch meal: 1/2 brown rice plus ulam
    >fish oil supplement
    4. merienda
    >wheat bread sandwich with peanut butter as palaman
    (this is also my pre-work out meal)
    > fish oil supplement
    5. dinner
    >yougurt sometimes yakult or sometimes soy milk plus muelix

Even though it is very hot I never tempt myself into eating ice cream, and I ignore cake in the fridge

my work out:

3 times a week lifting weights (t-th-sat)
    wed- badminton
    sunday- off and slight cheat day
    monday - off (hehehe)

if in the case i missed going to the gym because of busy sched at work i have a kettlebell (8kg) at home and perform some excercise at home.

ang question lang talaga nito is... maintenance
    hanggang kelan ko kaya gawin lahat ito
    if you can't maintain this sayang lang effort sa umpisa pa lang
    so I said to myself I should do this as part of my lifestyle already,
    personally ang pangit ng feeling ko kapag I feel heavier, but when I feel light I feel happy...
  • things like tricep extensions and dumbbell kickbacks aren't going to do anything for your abs. :) compound movements like squats and deadlifts do. but remember -- your abs aren't gonna come out, no matter how much you train them, if there's a layer of fat on top of it. so better to focus more on losing fat in general rather than doing "ab work." same thing goes for the inner thigh.

try reading through this: http://www.stumptuous.com/lies-in-the-gym

Lol ...yea, I was talking about my triceps with regards to those exercises though.

That's the best link anyone could've given me. LOL. I'm definitely one of those people. I've got a lot to learn. Thanks! *okay*