Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!
Reminder: You never know what someone is going through, so be kind.

Rainwater Harvesting - where to by 55-gal drums

Hi everyone!

I intend to include a rainwater and graywater collection system in the house we're planning to build and I want to use those huge plastic blue drums as the storage tank.

Where can I get one? how much do they cost?

thanks!

Comments

• project_ichigoproject_ichigo PEx Rookie ⭐
    P800-900/drum sa tapat ng uniwide las pinas.
  • iononionon PExer
    thanks for the info!
  • ionon,

where will you source out the rainwater filter? i'm thinking of the same.

There are also bigger drums than the blue ones. They're white and cube-shaped.
  • iononionon PExer
    it does'nt have to be a fancy filter of some sort. I intend to use sand, gravel and some charcoal as filters elements.

I think you are referring to the "cubitainers" . . . well, they will do just fine,as long as you do not expose them to sunlight because algae will gradually grow on the walls of these containers and they won't look good at all.

as for my intended design, I will be installing those drums at the loft/ceiling space para concealed at di masyadong makakasira sa view.
  • hi! ionon !
    can you share your idea on this? how you plan to do it? right now, i just collect rainwater into a big container & use it to water my plants. crude , ano?
  • silkylace wrote: »
    hi! ionon !
    can you share your idea on this? how you plan to do it? right now, i just collect rainwater into a big container & use it to water my plants. crude , ano?

ganito rin ginagawa namin

yung isang down spout ni redirect namin papunta dun sa 2nd water tank namin. we use it to wash clothes and wate the plants.
  • I used to collect rainwater too, but I have to use the water as soon as possible because it becomes a breeding ground for mosquitos. Even when I cover it, mosquitos still find ways to enter and lay their eggs.
  • This is a good thing you are doing. I don't understand why there aren't more people in PI utilizing rainwater harvesting since it rains a lot there.

For grey water you can use waste water from your shower for flushing the toilet. You have to have a competent plumber to pipe that properly and you might need a separate tank and pump but you can recoup your investment pretty fast considering the water prices there now. You have to consult your city building dept. if this is legal though.

If it were me I would use the rainwater in everything except for drinking and cooking.
  • you might save on water cost but are the savings enough to cover for additional electricity to power the pump?

i'm really considering this. As much as it is environment-friendly, it has to be pocket-friendly as well :)
  • If mosquitoes still find their way into your storage tank, it only means you don't have a sufficient covering for it.

as for the worthiness of the system, I personally am willing to pay a little extra for the electric bill that will be incurred to pump the water to the overhead tank. I find it satisfying na ginagawa ko part ko to save some of our precious resources, anyway.

I just thought of this just now.... Pwede natin i-offset yung extra electricity for the pumping need by converting all our household lighting to CFLs or better yet, to LEDs!

is'nt this a good idea?
  • Subukan ninyo lagyan ng tawas yun water na naipon. It helps avoid becoming a breeding ground for mosquitoes. No idea nga lang kung safe for plants after.

Another idea for rainwater collection ay yun tawag nila air dam. Sa ancient Egypt they use it na. Yun hamog ang kinukuha at iniipon. Sa mga nag SOLAS may turo na such para may mainom ka na tubig kahit stranded in the middle of the sea.
  • For the containers, check out dealers along east service road (south-bound) Paranaque, less than a km before bicutan. Ibat ibang klaseng plastic containers meron sila.
  • jacorb_88 wrote: »
    you might save on water cost but are the savings enough to cover for additional electricity to power the pump?

i'm really considering this. As much as it is environment-friendly, it has to be pocket-friendly as well :)

Sometimes give and take you have to weigh which one is better. If possible gravity fed but then again dapat competent yung plumber mo.
    The fact that you are using electricity is also a negative on the environment but if it is minimal then it is offset by the water savings. Shower and toilets are the fixtures with most water consumption.
  • ionon wrote: »
    If mosquitoes still find their way into your storage tank, it only means you don't have a sufficient covering for it.

as for the worthiness of the system, I personally am willing to pay a little extra for the electric bill that will be incurred to pump the water to the overhead tank. I find it satisfying na ginagawa ko part ko to save some of our precious resources, anyway.

I just thought of this just now.... Pwede natin i-offset yung extra electricity for the pumping need by converting all our household lighting to CFLs or better yet, to LEDs!

is'nt this a good idea?

Yes, CFL's are pretty much common now. The electric companies are giving them away for free so people will switch. You could also use a time clock, programmable thermostats, energy star rated appliances. To cool down your house, plant trees, locate openings where breezes can enter the house or limit openings where the sun is at it's hottest thru most of the year, use cool roofs, make sure your windows and doors are airtight when you need to use the AC and insulate your walls and roofs.
  • EdithB wrote: »
    Sometimes give and take you have to weigh which one is better. If possible gravity fed but then again dapat competent yung plumber mo.
    The fact that you are using electricity is also a negative on the environment but if it is minimal then it is offset by the water savings. Shower and toilets are the fixtures with most water consumption.

Yep! I agree with you! If your house is a bungalow type, gravity-fed type of system would be most economical, One would only be capturing the rainwater and not graywaters.
  • Hi everyone.

check this site po. http://rainwaterhog.com/
    Rainwater catchment from Australia but we have this na in the Philippines. :)
    https://www.facebook.com/RainwaterHogPhilippines
  • gotta lick itgotta lick it PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    r_joyce,

can you request the mods to merge all the rainwater catchment system thread into one.

we might be posting the same messages in different thread but all are in the same forum, home and gardening.

TIA
  • r_joyce,

can you request the mods to merge all the rainwater catchment system thread into one.

we might be posting the same messages in different thread but all are in the same forum, home and gardening.

TIA

okay. how?.. I dont know much about pinoyexchange yet.