Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

Kohler or HCG or American Standard?

Which the better brand among the 3? does anyone know the difference in their prices? i went to Ortigas Home Depot and MC Home, sobrang generic mga itsura ng American Standard and HCG kasi... or maybe they have limited displays.... anyone knows where na may mas extensive na dispaly? thanks! :)

Comments

• Try wilcon home depot alabang or las pinas. Wilcon is the distributor of kohler, well, that's what the sales person told me. Was also told that hcg is made locally, American standard is from Thailand and kohler in china. Again that's what the sales person told me. Also in the process of choosing waterclosets and lavatories. mahal lang ng kohler but according to a friend who's a contractor, you can never go wrong with kohler. So we're thinking kohler for the powder room and masters tapos cheaper brand for the other bathrooms.
  • In reality, spec and material wise, these are all the SAME

They are ceramics :)

The difference is brand equity and market segmentation

Kohler is the top dog, premium, which is imported, but both HCG and Amstandard have a premium equivalent in but using another brand (produced abroad as OEM). It is carried by Josol Home Decor in Libis and Dexterton in Manila

American Standard is the next, it is produced in Thailand (it used to produced by locally by Saniwares in Pasig and Las Pinas). It caters to the mid-range market, although in Europe is its perceived as a premium brand

HCG is the basic or low end amongst the three, but it quality and designs are up to par with Amstandard :) They have showrooms in the HCG outlet in Pasong Tamo Makati and also in MC Home Depot Ortigas

There are lower echelon brands like Toto, Kelim and Royal Tern in the market :)

Which the better brand among the 3? does anyone know the difference in their prices? i went to Ortigas Home Depot and MC Home, sobrang generic mga itsura ng American Standard and HCG kasi... or maybe they have limited displays.... anyone knows where na may mas extensive na dispaly? thanks! :)
  • We choose American Standard for all our water closets. Yung Acacia and Class model ang pinalagay namin since they look modern. Modern din kasi design ng bahay namin e :D
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I would prefer HCG brands for local conditions. Ok lang bumili ng mga expensive brands with premium colors pero ang problema sa sa is the water. It's heavy on minerals and sometimes sodiums. Hindi maiwasan in time mag karoon ng permanent watermark stains and if you'll use strong cleaners like acid then your stripping off the enamel coating more stains will occur later. Also HCG have the dimensions or proportion na angkop sa Asian anthropometric scales and their designs are not bad. I don't know about the local distribution of Toto but I was expecting for them to conquer the market more than a decade ago but sadly iba yung product line nila sa local market compare sa work class products nila thats being sold in Japan and other places..
  • also bought HCG for all our bathrooms, ok sa design and price.
  • anyone knows if the pozzi waterclosets are ok? they're 20% off at wilcon, yung one piece watercloset na watersaver mukhang ok but our contractor is hesitant to use it.
  • ^ I saw that too just this afternoon. Their faucets look nice even when set next to the kohlers sa display. I'm interested din sa feedback on pozzi products.

Alin ba sa mga brands na 'to ang may best after-sales service and warranty? I was looking at Delta and Moen fixtures too, and the salesguy said that one year lang ang warranty. I thought Delta and other foreign brands normally offered much longer warranties than that. ;)

Ang tumagal talaga sa min ay Kohler, American Standard, and Grohe so I'm leaning toward these brands for my new home. But I'm open to new brands (for me) basta ba maganda rin ang quality. *okay*
  • macncheez wrote: »
    ^
    Alin ba sa mga brands na 'to ang may best after-sales service and warranty? I was looking at Delta and Moen fixtures too, and the salesguy said that one year lang ang warranty. I thought Delta and other foreign brands normally offered much longer warranties than that. ;)

Delta here in the Philippines are covered 2 year full warranty.Don't believe those salesguy in Wilcon as they are required to push their in-house brand which are basically OEM(try google) except for Kohler.As for faucet, the difference is in the plating and wear & tear parts are cheap to replace.Salesguy usually says their faucet is heavy but that's useless if the plating comes off in six months and the repair parts are expensive.

Kohler is not a high-end brand.They are comparable to AmStan or even Briggs.It's only that Wilcon is selling them at a very high markup price.Josol and a store in Cebu sell them cheap.

As for faucet, Delta is still the best in sales and quality.They also own Hansgrohe and Peerless. (www.masco.com)
  • cyberfunkcyberfunk PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Agree.. Delta is a very good brand. However pricey but you wouldn't need to avail of that 2 year warranty. Mine is 15 years old already and it's still trouble free.