Home PEx Lifestyle Home and Garden
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

Are T&G and laminated wood flooring the same?

Hello! its me again... am asking about floorings for rooms naman this time.

1st, T&G.... tongue and groove... why is it called that way in the first place? :confused:

2ndly, going to my question, is T&G the same as the laminated ones? which is better? for T&G, how do i choose? may different kinds of wood ba yan? color? thickness? is it low-maintenance?:confused:

Comments

• KuyaDannyKuyaDanny Moderator PEx Moderator
    Examine the long sides of T&G flooring material and you will see that one side has a "canal" cut into it. This is the groove. The opposite side has a protrusion, which fits into the groove if done correctly. This is the tongue.

Genuine T&G flooring material is made from a single, solid piece of wood. Laminated flooring is made from thin layers of wood, plastic, vinyl. etc, glued together. So they are not the same.

T&G is probably more expensive, but you get the satisfaction of owning and walking on a real wood floor. If the wood has been dried, aged, and treated well, the floor can last a long time. My parents still live in the house they built in 1967, and the upstairs floor is made of T&G. It has never cracked or warped.

Laminated floors, on the other hand, need care. The most common complaints I hear are that the layers separate when the floor gets wet.