Home PEx Lifestyle Visas and Immigration

US student visa

i'm planning to study in the US is it difficult to get a student visa??

Comments

• silvermugsilvermug PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    i was denied the first time i applied. the school will send you all the necessary papers to get one.
  • i'm planning to study in the US is it difficult to get a student visa??

If you have school admission plus scholarship offer, F1 visa should not be a problem. Schools will take care of documents to facilitate visa application. It would help if you have clear records in the Phil and also some money of your own to tide you over the first 3 months, at least.

If you're the one paying for your studies, it might be quite a hurdle. Among others, be prepared to show proofs of your financial capability.
  • thank you for your responses
  • I am on F1 visa now. The most important thing is the finances + prayers! Muntik na ako ma-deny dahil sa finances. If you have a sponsor, make sure you have the Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) completed with all the evidence of finances attached.

It took the Visa officer more than 15 minutes before she said yes. She even excused herself and consulted her colleauge about my situation. Since I have a B1/B2 visa din, she said she has no choice but to grant me a visa because I can fly to the U.S. even if she will deny me with F1 visa.

When she excused herself and consulted her colleague, wala akong ibang ginawa kundi magdasal. Halos lahat ng naghihintay sa upuan sa embassy nakatingin sakin at inaabangan ang result. Nagngitian sila nong sinabi ng officer na YES.
  • icemwaahhicemwaahh PEx Rookie ⭐
    I am on F1 visa now. The most important thing is the finances + prayers! Muntik na ako ma-deny dahil sa finances. If you have a sponsor, make sure you have the Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) completed with all the evidence of finances attached.

It took the Visa officer more than 15 minutes before she said yes. She even excused herself and consulted her colleauge about my situation. Since I have a B1/B2 visa din, she said she has no choice but to grant me a visa because I can fly to the U.S. even if she will deny me with F1 visa.

When she excused herself and consulted her colleague, wala akong ibang ginawa kundi magdasal. Halos lahat ng naghihintay sa upuan sa embassy nakatingin sakin at inaabangan ang result. Nagngitian sila nong sinabi ng officer na YES.

did the VO cancel your B1/B2 visa nung binigyan ka nya ng student visa?
  • icemwaahh wrote: »
    did the VO cancel your B1/B2 visa nung binigyan ka nya ng student visa?

Nope. B1/B2 visa is not affected when you apply for F1 visa in a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (outside the United States). Yon siguro ang kinonsider ng Visa Officer when I applied for a visa on 2008 kasi bumalik pa talaga ako sa Pilipinas to apply for a visa instead of having my B1/B2 visa converted while in the U.S. If you are in the U.S. and you change status, yes it may affect your B1/B2 kasi kino-convert mo na ang visa mo nyan.

I have two visas this time and I have been using my F1 when I go in and out of the United States for the past two years. I traveled seven times na outside the U.S. since I entered as F1 visa holder in 2008. Wala namang problema so far basta nasa duration of status ka and nasa U.S. ka to study.
  • hi there i have a question. may b1/b2 visa na ako and it is a multiple entry first time ko pumunta ng us pwede ba ako dun magapply ng student visa?o kelan pa ako umuwi... kahit may nahanap na akong school?hope to hear from you guys the soonest thank you..
  • you can change your status while you are in the US. But I think there is a time frame from the date you arrived to a certain date before you can change your status. The problem with changing of status, though, is that you may have a hard time going out and in of the country, coz technically you don't have the actual visa but a legal document saying that you are now on F1 visa. If you leave the country and enter again, you may need to have a consular interview done at a US Embassy so you can have the actual visa. Which is kind of risky.

(I may be wrong on this one, but I just applied the rules given to non-immigrant applicants)
  • @dikonaalam: panu ka nagapply?naghanap ka muna ng school?
  • vmeisy,

hindi ako under ng F1 Student Visa, I'm on a working visa right now, but the changing of status is almost the same on all non-immigrant visa category.

Your first step is to find a school. If you are not decided yet on what course or where to study, check those school nearest to your relative's house. Then check their website. Schools authorized by the federal government to issue documents for student visa usually have a section specifically for international students.

Be prepared to take an English exam, or take an English as a course (Sa US ang subject ay course ang tawag). And also prepare for education equivalency documents.

God Bless!
  • okay.. thank u
  • simplewarrior, who finance your studies?
  • Hi PEXers! I've been reading through the forum for quite some time now and I think the opinions are very helpful to visa applicants like us. Anyway, here's my case:

I have already been to the US 3 times.

5 October 2009: B1/B2 Visa DENIED
    27 October 2009: B1/B2 Visa APPROVED (3 months MULTIPLE ENTRY)
    *I used that VISA twice, first in Nov 09, second in Jan 10.
    18 March 2010: J1 (Exchange Visitor Visa) APPROVED
    *I went to the US as an exchange visitor and stayed there for 3 months, I went to MINNESOTA.

Now, I am applying for an F1 (Student) Visa. I got accepted to the University of Minnesota and the University of Utah. I chose to attend the UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA because it's a better school and I've already been there during my exchange visit. I've seen it personally and I really like it. GREAT SCHOOL, GREAT International Student Community, etc.

My parents will support me. Tuition and fees for 1 year is $32,600. We have a fixed deposit of $33,000 to present.

BTW, I am currently an undergrad student at the University of the Philippines but I want to finish my Bachelor's degree at the University of Minnesota because I want to pursue a Bachelor of Individualized Studies Degree which is not offered at any institution here in the Philippines. My track here is Pre-Med and I'll take the same track in Minnesota.

I have above average grades and HIGH TOEFL iBT score.

BTW, I have also been to other Asian countries like Thailand and Malaysia.

Please tell me my chances of getting a F1 (Student) Visa.

I would appreciate replies! Thank you!
  • dikonaalam wrote: »
    you can change your status while you are in the US. But I think there is a time frame from the date you arrived to a certain date before you can change your status. The problem with changing of status, though, is that you may have a hard time going out and in of the country, coz technically you don't have the actual visa but a legal document saying that you are now on F1 visa. If you leave the country and enter again, you may need to have a consular interview done at a US Embassy so you can have the actual visa. Which is kind of risky.

(I may be wrong on this one, but I just applied the rules given to non-immigrant applicants)

dude, hindi yan pwd gawin. bawal yan to change status as a toruits then to a student. pwd ka maghanap ng school mo don then pag natanggap ka, hingi ka ng letter of acceptance sa kanila then babalik ka sa pinas for your visa. show money and the letter of acceptance from the school. un ang ginawa ko kaya may F-1 visa ako. pinagawa ko *** visa ko kaya wala ako hassle. documents lang ang required the rest sila na bahala. http://bit.ly/cmnHiZ
  • putopaopao wrote: »
    dude, hindi yan pwd gawin. bawal yan to change status as a toruits then to a student. pwd ka maghanap ng school mo don then pag natanggap ka, hingi ka ng letter of acceptance sa kanila then babalik ka sa pinas for your visa. show money and the letter of acceptance from the school. un ang ginawa ko kaya may F-1 visa ako. pinagawa ko *** visa ko kaya wala ako hassle. documents lang ang required the rest sila na bahala. http://bit.ly/cmnHiZ

wrong again.. :rolleyes: