Home PEx Hobbies Books and Literature

Amazon Kindle Books

I finally started reading my first book on my Kindle, "Nebula Awards 2009 Showcase". The gadget is great. I have around a dozen books in it, and instead of carrying around physically all those books, I only have to carry a small, thin object.

The book has been pretty good so far, as expected, as this after all is a selection of science fiction and fantasy short stories and novelletes by other writers. I like them because you move thru a story fairly quickly, and then take up a new one.

I have one or two more books like these, selections of short stories or novelettes.

Comments

• Nebula Awards Showcase 2009 by Ellen Datlow
    Just finished reading this book on my Kindle 2, and it is pretty darn good, as expected. The book is a collection of some of the nominations for the Nebula Awards for 2009. There are one or two stories which you wonder why the hell did they end up in a supposed showcase for Science Fiction and Fantasy Awards nomination?

However the rest are good. And when they are good, they are REALLY, REALLY good, the kind of stories that will give you goosebumps after reading them.

Which is exactly why I am partial to these types of books when it comes to Sci-Fi and Fantasy: You are ensured to get the best stories available, and to get an immense satisfaction after reading them. Highly recommended.

Draw by James Reasoner
    The book is a collection of about a dozen or so stories of gunfights and confrontations during the days of the Old West. A highly entertaining read, if you like Westerns, or if you like reading about lots and lots of actions, then this book is must read for you.

The book is broken down into sections of One-on-One Duels, Gangs, Posses, Holdups, Back-Shooters and Mishaps. The author cites numerous sources per account, and sorts of breaks down each account into its most basic and most important parts. What I like about the author, is that he is always careful to note what is fact, and what is speculation. Still you end up with a very good read to while your free hours away. Highly recommended.
  • Lel0uchLel0uch PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    san ka nakabili ng kindle? how much po?
  • BeerhandBopBeerhandBop PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ^ you can download a kindle reader for pc for free sa amazon mismo.

so di mo kailangan bumili ng kindle just to buy those kindle versions.

i recently bought a book that's still unavailable sa local stores natin thru kindle.

Personal Foul by Tim Donaghy

the nba referee that got jailed for betting on nba games.

Quite useful for my hobby of sports betting. ?
  • Here's my review of the Kindle 2 at the "Technology Today" section:
    - http://pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416901&highlight=kindle&page=3
  • I'd like to have one, kaso too pricey for me.
  • C.I.C.C.IC.I.C.C.I PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    With the emergence of kindle and Ipad it would be interesting how books would now be marketed by publishers?

More often than not people purchase books because of how the book looks like or the striking coverpage.

It was very easy to see what people were reading when you see them reading the real book but with kindle/ipad how would you know what people are reading or what is the current literary taste.

* i still prefer reading THE book rather some electronic gadget. *
    sa laptop kasi ang bigat dalhin, gusto ko may ebook reader ako gaan lang niya kasing dalhin.
    ano ba magandang ebook reader? mahal kasi ng ipad
  • Try the Nook from Barnes and Noble. Mas maganda siya compared to Kindle.
    magkano naman ang nook?
  • The difference Amazon and Barnes and Noble at this point, is that Amazon sells content INTERNATIONALLY.

"Whispernet", Amazon's 3G e-book delivery service, is available in almost all major countries. You can buy the e-books online, and then have it delivered by Whispernet.

As for the Nook, it looks better than the Kindle, and it has a PARTIAL color screen ('yung maliit na section lang sa bottom ang color, and it displays the book covers only), but in the end, the most important thing is the CONTENT, which Amazon has available in the Philippines.

I bought about 22 books from Amazon for my Kindle 2 last month, plan to read as much as can over the next couple of months.
  • Empires of the Sea: The Siege of Malta, the Battle of Lepanto, and the Contest for the Center of the World by Roger Crowley

Roger Crowley is a relatively new author, having released only two books so far, but he is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. I thoroughly enjoyed his first book "1453: The Fall of Constantinople", so that when I saw that he released another book again, I immediately bought it.

This book is basically a sequel to Crowley's first book, detailing events after the fall of Constantinople in 1453, up to the Battle of Lepanto well over a hundred years later. It details the war for Europe between Christians and Muslims around that time.

I like Crowley's style of writing, as they are so vivid, so full of details. He just doesn't tell the story, he tells you about the characters, the backgrounds of the event or people, everything. And in between, he tells personal accounts of the events, taking you as near to them as possible.

I like reading about this time period, because they are what I would call as "Forgotten Wars". Even in documentary channels, you rarely get to watch events and stories around this time period anymore. Most of the topics usually refers to history in the 20th century, but as you go farther back in time, there are less books, or documentaries about them.

Definitely one of the best books available written about that time period. The Battle of Lepanto is one of the great naval battles in history, and in the hands of a terrific writer like Crowley, it almost feels as you are there, experiencing the battle itself in minute detail.

An excellent read, a must-have if you are into the topics of war and history.
  • PinaColada16PinaColada16 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Hi, TS! I like The Silent Sea by Clive Cussler and Jack Du Brul. :)

Anyway, do you know an online shop where I can buy Medical Books (medicine and surgery) for IPad or Amazon Kindle for a cheaper price? I have real books but I would still like to have a copy on my reader. Thank you, TS.
    tanong lang po, pwede bang i upload mo na ang mga downloaded na pdf files? nakita ko kasi na compatible naman siya. madali lang ba mag transfer ng files dito from laptop to kindle or nook?

may idea ba kayo kung saan nito makabili dito sa pilipinas at kung magkano po ang presyo?
  • Hi, TS! I like The Silent Sea by Clive Cussler and Jack Du Brul. :)

Anyway, do you know an online shop where I can buy Medical Books (medicine and surgery) for IPad or Amazon Kindle for a cheaper price? I have real books but I would still like to have a copy on my reader. Thank you, TS.

Nope, sorry, so far my main source of books for the Kindle right now is Amazon.
  • Lel0uch wrote: »
    tanong lang po, pwede bang i upload mo na ang mga downloaded na pdf files? nakita ko kasi na compatible naman siya. madali lang ba mag transfer ng files dito from laptop to kindle or nook?

may idea ba kayo kung saan nito makabili dito sa pilipinas at kung magkano po ang presyo?

Re: Buying Kindle 2

Try www.sulit.com.ph, or www.tipidpc.com. Better yet, why not just order directly from Amazon? Safe pa. Just read my review from the "Technology Today" section:
    - http://pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416901&highlight=kindle&page=3

Re: PDF files, and file transfer

File transfers from PC, 'napaka dali, connect it via USB, and your PC will treat it like any USB drive, where you can transfer to and from files

About PDF files, haven't tried it yet, but I suggest you download, and look around the manual from the main Kindle site at Amazon:
    - http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=sa_menu_kdp2i3?pf_rd_p=328655101&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PB44SBNYMNPK30C2W41

Take note that PDF files will have to be converted to *.AZW format, which is the proprietary Kindle format. Either me free PDF to AZW converter, or I read somewhere that you can send it to Amazon, and they will convert it for free, and e-mail it back to you. I just don't know the details, the manual should contain that information.
  • Lel0uch wrote: »
    sa laptop kasi ang bigat dalhin, gusto ko may ebook reader ako gaan lang niya kasing dalhin.
    ano ba magandang ebook reader? mahal kasi ng ipad

try iphone/itouch. that's what i use. yun nga lang, maliit lang talaga :glee:

only problem with amazon kindle is they have a limited selection. some books are still not available, which kindda sucks :rolleyes:
  • madam wrote: »
    try iphone/itouch. that's what i use. yun nga lang, maliit lang talaga :glee:

only problem with amazon kindle is they have a limited selection. some books are still not available, which kindda sucks :rolleyes:

There are even less books available in the Philippines from iTunes. AFAIK, iTunes doesn't allow Philippine users to download content, you will have to get them elsewhere.

As for Amazon, some titles are not available locally, and I do come across those every now and then when I am browsing for books. But in the end, there are still a lot of books available for download in the Philippines. The figure I found in the net says 290,000 titles available for Philippine users, but you can check personally from the Amazon site (I can't seem to access the country-specific details from where I am):
    - http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Generation/dp/B0015T963C/ref=sa_menu_kdp2i3?pf_rd_p=328655101&pf_rd_s=left-nav-1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=507846&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0YMFWH5C8SJK631N4TF0#
  • A review by Philippine Star's Michelle Katigbak on using Amazon's Kindle 2 in the Philippines:
    - http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=554967&publicationSubCategoryId=84
  • i have read hundreds of books on my kindle since i got it august last year, mostly short young adult books i finished in around 3-4 hours. amazon is a great store for books, but i just wish I could read Pinoy content on the device too, like UP Press books, etc. pero mukhang malabo :-(
    guys ano ang mas maganda, nook or kindle? ano yung advantages at disadvantages nila?
    ano yung mas mura?

by the way, nabasa ko about E-Ink technology correct me if I'm wrong sa pagkakaintindi ko kasi hindi ka pwedeng magbasa nito sa gabi kapag walang ilaw, tama po ba?