Home PEx Hobbies Recreation

Beginner Guitar: Classic or Acoustic?

I'm going to take guitar lessons, and I'm a beginner. I really want to learn how to play the acoustic guitar, but most people tell me to start with the classic first. What do you think? Can I go directly in learning how to play the acoustic? Or should I start with the classic first? :) And if I start with the classic, and I already know how to play it, will I be able to play the acoustic as well too? thanks!

Comments

• slim_chance79slim_chance79 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Let's define terms here first.

By acoustic you mean a guitar that's not an electric, either nylon-stringed (classical guitar) or the steel stringed variant.

If that's what you mean, then it doesn't matter which one you pick up first. Each has its own pros and cons.

The classical guitar has wider necks. If you have short fingers you'll have a tough time learning. It has thicker strings too. The steel strings might hurt a bit, but the neck is easier to grip. Try to get a feel of both guitars first before making your decision.

I like the warmer sound of the classical guitar, but i like the steel strings for strumming. I learned on the steel stringed guitar though.
  • Let's define terms here first.

By acoustic you mean a guitar that's not an electric, either nylon-stringed (classical guitar) or the steel stringed variant.

If that's what you mean, then it doesn't matter which one you pick up first. Each has its own pros and cons.

The classical guitar has wider necks. If you have short fingers you'll have a tough time learning. It has thicker strings too. The steel strings might hurt a bit, but the neck is easier to grip. Try to get a feel of both guitars first before making your decision.

I like the warmer sound of the classical guitar, but i like the steel strings for strumming. I learned on the steel stringed guitar though.

Well said.

Allow me to add some more ideas here.

As previously said, it sounds like we are referring to the nylon-stringed guitar and steel-stringed guitar. The nylon guitar is also known as the classical guitar, while the steel-stringed guitar is also known as the folk guitar.

When it comes to choosing between these guitars, you may also ask yourself what music you would be playing.

The classical guitar is ideal for flamenco, samba, bossa nova, son cubano, rumba, mariachi, and of course classical. Some guitarists also opine that the classical guitar is also ideal with Hawaiian music, for its nylon strings can "emulate" the sound of the ukelele.

On the other hand, the folk guitar is ideal for blues, country, bluegrass, rock, and of course folk music.

To give you a better picture, imagine these two famous guitarists: Carlos Santana and Eric Clapton. If you want to be like Santana, grab a classical guitar. If you want to be like Clapton, grab a folk guitar.

And oh, I would like to recommend great guitarists for each guitar. On the classical guitar, listen to Johannes Linstead. On the folk guitar, listen to Andy McKee. You can listen to their songs by accessing their MySpace pages. Just do a Google search; type "MySpace" followed by their name.

Hope this helps.
  • rookieseat94rookieseat94 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Can you guys recommend a place wherein in can take guitar lessons? 15 years old po ako. :D
  • koleenutchkoleenutch PEx Rookie ⭐
    ako acoustic ang sinimulan ko. yun nga ang madali! ano ka ba dude?! haha. yun ang praktisan.. hehe.
  • dati boring 'yung classical nylon for me but now i want to buy one
    kasi nung nag-aaral ako nag-start ang mymp kaya acoustic w/ metal strings ang binili ko
    metal strings have a stronger sound and hindi siya masakit sa daliri kung bago yung strings
  • I studied classical guitar in Yamaha.

yeah, it depends on what type of music you want to play.

In classical guitar, there's so many habits that you need to unlearn (proper holding of guitar, proper position of wrist and fingers etc...)

tututuan ka rin magbasa ng sheet music (magbasa ng notes). BAWAL and tabs sa classical.