Home PEx Sports Football
COMMUNITY NOTICE: PinoyExchange will be under maintenance from February 13, 2023 to February 19, 2023. We will be on read-only mode. Please note that during this time, you can still access the forum and content, but user activities like new threads and comments, etc. will temporarily be unavailable. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Comments

• DantheGreatDantheGreat PEx Rookie ⭐
    A big no no for me. Players would just start waiting for the ball near the goal.
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I think this is being driven by theire neverending lust for the American market. They know they won't get the American market unless there's more scoring.
  • WHY?! FIFA should just hold their ground and let the American public warm up to it bit by bit - in short have them play by the World's Rules For Once! Besides Ice Hockey (one of the FOUR big sports in the US) has an offside rule and they're doing fine!
  • hooneyhooney PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i don't like this,
  • StJamesStJames PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    how bout scrapping the penalty shootout
    WHY?! FIFA should just hold their ground and let the American public warm up to it bit by bit - in short have them play by the World's Rules For Once! Besides Ice Hockey (one of the FOUR big sports in the US) has an offside rule and they're doing fine!

I don't know this personally since I don't follow hockey but click on the Times UK article in the first post. It says there that hockey removed its offside rule and that's what FIFA wants to copy.

Wala, we're really living in an era of greed. Money seems to drive all decisions now.
    Oh wait! FIELD hockey pala yon!

:rotflmao:
  • mas maganda may offside. its a weird rule but it works.

as for the penalty shootout naman, i get the point. pero what if 0-0 pa rin ang score after 90mins + extratime? minsan kasi bulok opensa ng dalawang teams kaya di makascore. boring panoorin ng walang katapusang ganun.
  • WHY?! FIFA should just hold their ground and let the American public warm up to it bit by bit - in short have them play by the World's Rules For Once! Besides Ice Hockey (one of the FOUR big sports in the US) has an offside rule and they're doing fine!
    rational wrote: »
    I don't know this personally since I don't follow hockey but click on the Times UK article in the first post. It says there that hockey removed its offside rule and that's what FIFA wants to copy.

Wala, we're really living in an era of greed. Money seems to drive all decisions now.

i know for a fact that american football has an offside rule.
  • Rocker09Rocker09 Next Gen. Tennis Star
    No way! respect the traditions!!! The removal of the offside rule will be abused too much!!!
    i know for a fact that american football has an offside rule.

Oh yeah but completely different in implementation.

Wala... I would hate it if they do this but money talks.
  • rational wrote: »

Ice Hockey still has and that ain't going anywhere soon! Linkie below:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26497 :lol:

And I don't care for field hockey whatsoever....
  • DantheGreat - I totally agree! Check out the history of the offside rule: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offside_(association_football) . Moreover, you can throw all the records before if this is implemented. Pele, Maradona, etc., their records will be all in jepoardy.

If you noticed back in the 50s, the scores were high. It's more of an offensive game rather than a defensive game. Now defenders play a very important part of the team.

StJames - I also had the same perception before when I started appreciating the sport, but later on, I then favor having it. Anyway, how do you plan a tied game will be settled? Moreover, shooting pealties is a SKILL in football.

No, I don't think its about capturing the American market. Football/Soccer IS big in the United States, contrary to a lot of outsiders think. With all the expats/nationalized citizens there, and the marketability of David Beckham, it has recently had a huge fanbase in the US. Check out the MLS attendance recently. Although as of now, it still couldn't break the big four of American sports.

I honestly think that they came up with this issue because of FIFA's stubborness of goalline video technology. Other sports have used it: tennis, cricket, and yes basketball (although lately, the NBA has abused the video technology. the game is really slower these days). Sepp Blatter has still refused to implement video technology on goals (i only want the technology on controversial phantom goals or uncounted goals, but not on the offside rule). Mr. Blatter would rather have 4 or 5 referees, rather than using video technology. Come on Mr. Blatter! The technology is available. Maybe FIFA will favor video technology once Adidas dominates the official matchball of the major leagues once again (Adidas is a major sponsor and financer of FIFA). But then, all goals are replayed, so the Nike ball is then exposed again and again. Whatever!!!

My honest opinion, maybe a BACKING violation be implemented in football. Once you crossed the ball in the half pitch line, there's no going back, otherwise the opposing team gets possession. What do you footy fans think?
  • DantheGreatDantheGreat PEx Rookie ⭐
    @richyuppie

yep in the old days, football was more attack oriented. It was very common for teams to field four forwards. Remember 2-3-5? lol
    A backing violation would be an even more radical change I think. We'd have defenses camped out at midfield and double teams after crossing the line. Parang basketball nga. Then since may offside nga, the offense could easily get bottled up.

The dilemma really is how to change the game without really changing it. If that makes sense.

Maybe they should look at volleyball. I think the changes in volleyball really improved the game greatly without changing it too much.
  • I don't know how the backing violation be a more radical rule than scrapping the offside rule...

Anyway, I would like to see an experimental 2-3-5 top flight match... Like for instance, the Community Shield or the warm up tournaments this off-season.
  • hehehe alisin na rin nila yung hand ball rule
  • how about having multiple subs in a game? and time outs?
  • Blatter is a bellend, end of.
  • how about having multiple subs in a game? and time outs?
    Nah. for both.

Timeout/s would really slow down the game. That's why I lost interest in basketball lately because they abused the technology rules so much, that really slowed down the game. And yes, they have timeouts.

Multiple subs... i dont think so. that is why you have to use your substitutions wisely. And that is why Arsenal in their last game couldn't take out Fabregas with an injury, coz they don't have substitutions anymore! Players going in and out of the pitch very often would be irritating, and really slow down the pace of the game.

Although I like the MLS ruling on substitutions, when they have a fourth substitution, for the goalkeeper only.

How about a fifth substitution for the manager?? hahahaha :lol: