Home PEx Sports NBA

NBA lottery pick's historic demotion

The plush surroundings of all those Ritz Carltons and Four Seasons have disappeared. These days, Hasheem Thabeet rests his head in a two-star motel in chilly Bismarck, N.D. Gone, too, are the charter flights and all the legroom they afforded.

Eight months ago Thabeet was celebrating his selection as the second overall pick of the NBA draft. He now holds a new distinction: the highest pick ever to be sent to the NBA’s Development League. That’s not to say Thabeet has lost all his star power: In honor of his arrival, the Dakota Wizards discounted general-admission tickets for Wednesday’s game to $2.

For Thabeet, the D-League is home, at least for a little bit, and he’s determined to make the best of it.

People in the NBA are “definitely looking at it negatively,” Thabeet said. “ ‘He’s the No. 2 pick. He’s not supposed to be there. I can’t believe that guy is over there and he’s the second pick.’ But you got to go and work your way up there. I’m working my way up here, working on my confidence.

“When the time comes, I’ll be able to answer the call.”

Damn... 2nd pick overall demoted to D-league... nakakahiya.

Comments

• Nabigla ako nung nabasa ko ang article na ito. Never knew he was sent to the D-League already. Akala ko lang nawala sya sa rotation.

Medyo nakakhiya nga na picked ka as #2 tapos D-league ka lang.

With the #1 pick doing an Oden, this makes the Kings the real winners of the 2009 draft for drafting Tyreke at 4 and having another quality rookie in Omri Casspi.
  • I think medyo magbabago selection ng players for drafting na mga teams starting sa next draft with what happened to Thabeet, the issues with Rubio, the non-disclosures of injuries, etc..

I think some teams will now think twice on drafting 'raw' players or players with 'upside' and would rather draft 'nba ready' players that will immediately make an impact or at least contribute to their team.
  • I agree completely...issues such as Rubio and Thabeet will have any NBA FO thinking twice on drafting raw talent and player upside alone.
  • tsk tsk tsk.
  • Actually read this last week and it surprised me as well.

Thabeet could've stayed one more year sa NCAA but, well...
  • killernoodlekillernoodle PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    nadaig pa siya ni haddadi

ang hihina na talaga mga center ngayon, dati you have shaq, hakeem, robinson, ewing, mutombo, mourning

ngayon dwight howard na lang, undersize pa

hindi ko alam bakit parang humina ang position na ito, was it because of the zone defense or talagang mahina na mga players of this positon
  • Ang problema kasi ni Thabeet, napunta siya sa team na may dalawang 7 footers na center, pero napunta siya sa mga team na kulang sa malalaki, malamang gaganda naman ang game nito!
  • thabeet wanna try smart gilas.hehe... (kung pwede lang naman.hehe)
  • at least di siya matutulad sa mga long list of projected lottery picks na nawalan ng career or nabranded as BUST. In the NBDL, at least makakakuha siya ng PT at di ganu ganun kawasak kumpiyansa nya, unlike KWAME and DARKO.

I THINK the NBA should really clamp down on their foreign drafting guidelines. Lalo na paglottery picks yan.

Rubio wasn't the first Euro to do the backpeddling after draft day.

Orlando drafted a big man named fran Vasquez... but did a Rubio too.
  • He's just in the wrong team with the wrong management and the wrong teammates. I heard the Griz fired their scouting team to save money. If it had been one of the more popular teams, they could have had a personal coach for Thabeet ala Kareem on Bynum or Ewing for Yao. Thabeet could easily be the next Ratliff or Mutumbo.
  • keoboikeoboi PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    para sa kanya this is the best thing that could happen kaysa sa mabulok siya doon sa bench...
  • bastebaste PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    nirecall naman na sya ng griz diba.... he's just not ready yet... it doesn't help din when he has go contend with Gasol who is great.
  • talunan08talunan08 PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    He is very raw coming to the league. With Darko written all over.
  • ano kaya naiisip ng Memphis pagnakikita nila si James Harden, Jonny Flyn, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Darren Collison, Steph Curry or even si Omri Caspi?
  • ano kaya naiisip ng Memphis pagnakikita nila si James Harden, Jonny Flyn, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Darren Collison, Steph Curry or even si Omri Caspi?

You should take a look at their roster first before you posted that..you'll know why they had to draft a big instead of a guard or forward :glee:
  • rationalrational PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    ano kaya naiisip ng Memphis pagnakikita nila si James Harden, Jonny Flyn, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Darren Collison, Steph Curry or even si Omri Caspi?

Dagdag mo pa si DeJuan Blair. Not big but plays like one. It's like the NCAA all over again.

http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/17/dejuan-blair-may-have-cost-hasheem-thabeet-some-money/
  • Blair = monster. I really like his game but with all those knee injuries, people felt he's not worth the #2 pick. And yes I agree Memphis needed a big man that's why they went for a Thabeet.

At #37, nothing to lose ang San Antonio kay Blair. Galing talaga ng scouts ng Spurs:

1. Tony Parker - #28 2001
    2. Manu - # 57 1999
    3. George Hill - #26 2008

• ngayon dwight howard na lang, undersize pa

How is Howard undersized? He's 6'11'' and weights at around 270-280 range.

This era might not have enough hall of fame-caliber centers like Shaq, Hakeem, D-Rob or all-stars like Dikembe, Zo but there's still quite a handful of good centers aside from Dwight (B. Lopez, M. Gasol, Bugot and Yao if he's healthy).

hindi ko alam bakit parang humina ang position na ito, was it because of the zone defense or talagang mahina na mga players of this positon

The NBA's popularity went up high during Jordan's era. So what's the most sensible thing for Stern to do - find the next Jordan (Grant Hill in the middle 90's, Kobe, VC, T-Mac, AI in the early 2000's, LeBron and Wade in the middle of 2000's).

USTE LO MEJOR!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!
  • pristonpikerpristonpiker PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    tigerman wrote: »
    How is Howard undersized? He's 6'11'' and weights at around 270-280 range.

This era might not have enough hall of fame-caliber centers like Shaq, Hakeem, D-Rob or all-stars like Dikembe, Zo but there's still quite a handful of good centers aside from Dwight (B. Lopez, M. Gasol, Bugot and Yao if he's healthy).

The NBA's popularity went up high during Jordan's era. So what's the most sensible thing for Stern to do - find the next Jordan (Grant Hill in the middle 90's, Kobe, VC, T-Mac, AI in the early 2000's, LeBron and Wade in the middle of 2000's).

USTE LO MEJOR!
    VIVA SANTO TOMAS!

There can never be an era where there would be no "good" centers, given na every era merong center competitive enough sa nba.. problema nga lang, hindi na katulad ng dati, nawala yung "dominant" presence ng mga centers sa loob.. yung tipong kakatakutan mo kasi siya yung babangga sa iyo sa loob or siya yung susugod sa offense..

palagay ko kasi eh nawala yung mga centers na tipong focal point ng offense ng team nila, gaya ni robinson, shaq, ewing, olajuwon..

*okay* :D
  • Bynum's not a good center? Oh well :glee: