Home PEx Campus University of the Philippines
'Tis the season. Happy Holidays, PExers!

shifting before enrollment

Hello everyone. Got accepted into UPD Business economics, my first choice, this incoming academic year.

problem is, after much consideration, i have decided that economics nor business is really not for me nor is it what I'm interested in (or passionate about). Natural science courses like chemistry (or bio) would be better choices for me.

my question is, how difficult is it to shift into these courses after the first semester? Will i be delayed by a sem or a year? Or is there a way for me to change courses even before the school year starts? (i have heard of some rare cases wherein students were able to change courses before classes started when there were slots open in these courses)

maraming salamat!

Comments

• you cannot change courses before enrollment and you cannot shift to another course after one semester. you need at least 33 units PASSED and a minimum GWA to qualify to a specific program.

the rare cases you say are those with scholarships that require them to take specific courses like DOST that requires scholars to take Science and Engineering programs. also those UPCAT qualifiers to Bachelor programs with talent test/auditions like Fine Arts and Music could be transfered to another program with available slots if they failed the talest tests/auditions.
  • 1. shifting before enrolment not possible unless you are a DOST scholar so you're required to take a science or engineering course.

2. shifting to bio would be harder than chemistry since those who want to take medicine in the future usually shift to bio.

3. i dont think you'd technically be delayed if you shift to bio/chem from bus econ because only math100 won't be credited in either course you want to shift to. you may have to catch up during the summer (and the succeeding semester), though to take the following classes supposedly taken during the first year:

BS Chem: chem16, geol11, bio11, math53, chem17
    BS Bio: geol11, math53, chem16

in case you were wondering, i got everything by comparing the curricula found in the websites of the National Institute of Biology and Institute of Chemistry found through the College of Science website, and the School of Economics website. both colleges' websites may be accessed throught the academics link found in the UPD website.
  • joe909joe909 PEx Rookie ⭐
    thank you thirdPerson and miss luna. your comments were quite helpful. So I really have to stay in my course for a year before shifting?

Do all degree programs in College of Science require 30 units before accepting shiftees? I guess I'm a little discouraged by that, but anyway, thank you very much.
    oh in addition, i saw this under "How to Shift in UPD... Mahirap ba?":

"now if you really want your first choice, you could always file an appeal to the chair of the department offering that degree program. i had a friend who listed bio as his first choice and passed the quota for bio but decided against taking up biology. he just filed an appeal to the chair of Chemical Engineering during the summer between his graduation from high school and the college freshman year. The department chair simply interviewed him. when he started first year, he was already listed under the Chemical Engineering program."

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251203

Is this actually possible? If it is, I'll find a way to do the same. Thank you again.
  • Grabe si luna_cyro16, ni-research pa yung curricula!

Wag masindak sa pagshishift. Gawin mo yung ginawa ni luna_cyro16, icompare mo yung curriculum ng Business Econ sa course na gusto mo, tapos habang first year, make sure na lahat nang kukunin mo ay macrecredit sa preferred course mo, yung mga subjects na common sa kanila -- like GE courses or electives. Kakailanganin mo nga humabol sa ibang subjects, pero it's not something that a summer semester or two won't solve. Mas mabuti nang humabol nang ilang buwan kaysa magtapos sa course na alam mong di para sayo :)
  • joe909 wrote: »
    oh in addition, i saw this under "How to Shift in UPD... Mahirap ba?":

"now if you really want your first choice, you could always file an appeal to the chair of the department offering that degree program. i had a friend who listed bio as his first choice and passed the quota for bio but decided against taking up biology. he just filed an appeal to the chair of Chemical Engineering during the summer between his graduation from high school and the college freshman year. The department chair simply interviewed him. when he started first year, he was already listed under the Chemical Engineering program."

http://www.pinoyexchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251203

Is this actually possible? If it is, I'll find a way to do the same. Thank you again.

i've never heard of such a case eh so i wouldn't know. did you list either bio or chem as second choice? maybe you could contact the respective departments and ask if that's possible. pero as far as i know, hindi talaga pwede. all degree programs, whatever department, requires at least 30units before shifting.
    Iorek wrote: »
    Grabe si luna_cyro16, ni-research pa yung curricula!

Wag masindak sa pagshishift. Gawin mo yung ginawa ni luna_cyro16, icompare mo yung curriculum ng Business Econ sa course na gusto mo, tapos habang first year, make sure na lahat nang kukunin mo ay macrecredit sa preferred course mo, yung mga subjects na common sa kanila -- like GE courses or electives. Kakailanganin mo nga humabol sa ibang subjects, pero it's not something that a summer semester or two won't solve. Mas mabuti nang humabol nang ilang buwan kaysa magtapos sa course na alam mong di para sayo :)

para informed answer. :lol: sinipag lang hehe
  • Nice. Too good, third year pa lang inisip ko na ang track ko. From Mining Engg, to Business Econ, to Linguistics, hanggang Metallurgical. Pero in the end PolSci ang gusto ko. :)

Correct si ate luna, DOST scholars lang ang alam kong pwedeng mag-instant shift.
    thank you everyone for the very helpful comments! :p really appreciate it.