Home PEx International Entertainment General Entertainment

Hughes Bros. to direct Akira live action film

booksalebooksale PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
good idea or bad idea? excited ba kayo?

Comments

• QT IIQT II PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    As long as it is some Hollywood hack/s fucking up yet another Japanese anime property, no.
  • Nah, Akira is perfect as an animated film.
  • ugh, supposedly leonardo di caprio's going to be in the leading role

can't wait for this one :rolleyes:
    At best, Akira should be helmed by a Japanese director.
    Yes, they can cast Hollywood stars but only as gaijin characters in the film.
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Akira Wants Zac Efron

The latest issue of Production Weekly indicates that young actor Zac Efron has been offered the starring role in Akira.

Warner Bros. project back in February, when we learned that The Hughes Brothers (Albert Hughes and Allen Hughes) were directing. Albert Torres is writing the new screenplay for the Anime adaptation, which is a remake of the 1988 classic Akira. Here's a plot description for the remake from Production Weekly:

"Neo-Tokyo has risen from the ashes of World War III to become a dark and dangerous megalopolis infested with gangs and terrorists. The government seethes with corruption and only maintains a token control over the powerful military that prevents total chaos and hides the secrets of the past. Childhood friends Tetsuo and Kaneda plunge into Neo-Tokyo's darkest secret when their motorcycle gang encounters a military operation to retrieve an escaped experimental subject. Tetsuo, captured by the military, is subjected to experiments that make him a powerful psychic, but, unfortunately for Neo-Tokyo, Tetsuo's powers rage out of control and he lashes out at the world that has oppressed him! Nothing can stop the destructive forces that Tetsuo wields except possibly the last boy to destroy Tokyo."

Leonardo DiCaprio is producing the movie through his Appian Way company. Andrew Lazar, Jon Jashni and Jennifer Davisson Killoran are also producing.

Akira comes to theaters in 2012. The film is directed by Albert Hughes, Allen Hughes.
  • ^
    ^
    If the plot is set in Neo-Tokyo, as the blurb would indicate, then Zac Efron is the perfect Japanese actor to play Akira. I can't think of any other actor of East Asian descent that give the role justice.

Wait, he's *not* Japanese? Oh, I thought...
    ^
    ^
    If the plot is set in Neo-Tokyo, as the blurb would indicate, then Zac Efron is the perfect Japanese actor to play Akira. I can't think of any other actor of East Asian descent that give the role justice.

Wait, he's *not* Japanese? Oh, I thought...

That's Hollywood thinking for you.

Remember the EPIC FAIL that was Dragonball Evolution? When will Hollywood hacks learn and leave the fine art of interpreting anime in live-action to the Japs?

Cases in point: Takashi Miike's Yatterman and the upcoming Space Battleship Yamato....
  • can't imagine akira as a live action film
    can't remember a live action adaptation of anything animated that i liked really
    last one i watched was tekken (although not really anime)..dear lord i thought twilight's the last movie i would ever watch that sucked
  • MrSinisterMrSinister PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Rumor: Morgan Freeman Circling Colonel Role in 'Akira'

Morgan Freeman (Seven) is circling the role of the Colonel in the Manga adaptation shooting next year. "Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo.

The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.