PEx Alert: Welcome to the new PinoyExchange. For access issues, bug reports and technical concerns, please email us at pex-info@pinoyexchange.com. Thank you!

Jumpstarting Humanity. You are the King.

SamLowrySamLowry James Randian PExer
You travelled back in time and find yourself the king of a primitive civilization circa 1000 bc. Would you impose your current standards of morality or revert back to the norms of that time (allowing slavery, pillaging, rape/subjugation of women and genocide)?

Comments

• sophionsophion Member PExer
    SamLowry wrote: »
    You travelled back in time and find yourself the king of a primitive civilization circa 1000 bc. Would you impose your current standards of morality or revert back to the norms of that time (allowing slavery, pillaging, rape/subjugation of women and genocide)?

I would try introducing modern standards LITTLE BY LITTLE.

First is the equality of the sexes. That should be no problem and it would boost the economy.

A boosting economy would allow for the freeing of slaves.

Freedom and equal sexes would further boost the economy so that pillaging is no longer necessary.

so on and so forth.

the last step to introduce would be democracy. for this will practically end my kingship.
  • wimpy_kidwimpy_kid Member PExer
    Definitely modern standards. I think since morality is something that evolves, quickening the pace shouldn't be a bad thing. Second, I'd ban noontime shows. Forever.
  • SamLowrySamLowry James Randian PExer
    sophion wrote: »
    I would try introducing modern standards LITTLE BY LITTLE.

First is the equality of the sexes. That should be no problem and it would boost the economy.

A boosting economy would allow for the freeing of slaves.

Freedom and equal sexes would further boost the economy so that pillaging is no longer necessary.

so on and so forth.

the last step to introduce would be democracy. for this will practically end my kingship.
    wimpy_kid wrote: »
    Definitely modern standards. I think since morality is something that evolves, quickening the pace shouldn't be a bad thing. Second, I'd ban noontime shows. Forever.

so modern standards for the both of you.

But how could you compete with neighboring rival kings who has a large labor force, more soldiers, more food, more women to breed with , more land conquered, no prisoners that needs feeding?

you would be decimated when you face off with the slave owning, raping, pillaging and genocidal kingdoms. You did however set up a moral kingdom that lasted a good.... 20 years? :)
  • KravenKraven Member PExer

But how could you compete with neighboring rival kings who has a large labor force, more soldiers, more food, more women to breed with , more land conquered, no prisoners that needs feeding?

you would be decimated when you face off with the slave owning, raping, pillaging and genocidal kingdoms. You did however set up a moral kingdom that lasted a good.... 20 years? :)

Then use your knowledge in advanced weaponry and modern tactics.
    Kraven wrote: »
    Then use your knowledge in advanced weaponry and modern tactics.
    Let's stay away from the science fiction aspect for a while and just talk about moral standards:)

but if you really insist, unless you are a medieval weapons expert or an engineer, you really can't build catapults, and you don't have a library that contains the recipe for gunpowder for example.

now for morality, are we really going to apply the geneva convention 3000 years ago?

Andaya, di mo naman binanggit sa unang post mo na may mga rival kingdoms pala eh.
    ^^^ sorry I wasn't clear enough. Warring is part and parcel of civilizations.

but I did say "allowing pillaging", and that implies invasions of foreign land=war.

so, are you still going to use current standards?
    Nope. I'll build a warring empire. Ala Genghis Khan. It's much better to bring the war to the enemies.
  • redhakawredhakaw hated the job PExer
    it's like saying we need to be ashamed wearing tree leaves for briefs.

no, I will not set future standards when I am made king in the past.
    Nope. I'll build a warring empire. Ala Genghis Khan. It's much better to bring the war to the enemies.

Including rape and killing of women and children?
  • yuel0022yuel0022 Wandering Boy PExer
    I shall impose future standards for my kingdom alone.

But I'll still have 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth' rule retained towards other kingdoms. minus rape and any other type of violence towards innocent civilians, specially women and children.

I don't know if it's that easy :hmm:
    yuel0022 wrote: »
    I shall impose future standards for my kingdom alone.

But I'll still have 'eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth' rule retained towards other kingdoms. minus rape and any other type of violence towards innocent civilians, specially women and children.

I don't know if it's that easy :hmm:

well, that's what they were doing anyways. they are nice with eachother, but brutal towards outsiders.

but then you remove rape, genocide and I also guess slavery, you will still be at a disadvantage. Those kids that you spared will soon be trained men, you missed the opportunity to build defensive walls cause you lack slaves and you have fewer babies cause you have fewer women, and worse, the women you spared would breed and add to the population of your enemies.
  • OneirosOneiros Slacker PExer
    Yes, why not?

In Rome, do as Romans do. Your preferred morality has no intrinsic (absolute?) worth. Thinking that your moral standards applies to all situations, at all times, and at all places... is not very... uhhh... useful.
  • redhakawredhakaw hated the job PExer
    morality is over-rated
    well, that's what they were doing anyways. they are nice with eachother, but brutal towards outsiders.

but then you remove rape, genocide and I also guess slavery, you will still be at a disadvantage. Those kids that you spared will soon be trained men, you missed the opportunity to build defensive walls cause you lack slaves and you have fewer babies cause you have fewer women, and worse, the women you spared would breed and add to the population of your enemies.

I won't remove slavery. I will just impose my own rules on slavery, giving slaves somewhat a bit of freedom, but still under my control. I can still have them build defensive walls for me.

And so the future standards/laws I'm going to impose is somewhat limited to the slaves.

Now I think I can have some other alternatives aside from rape and genocide. For example, enslaving the kids and women. I think I just need to build a little community for those slaves and a little bit of religion-like brainwashing to turn them under my commands. Now since there are benefits of being a citizen of my kingdom, and the slaves are able to learn about those benefits, I can have something like a law that could make a slave a citizen of my kingdom. Now I can get the women from there.

I'm not really sure though if this could be effective.. because it takes time.
    Kinda sad when you think about it but there seems to be no other choice but to play dirty. the other option is extinction.
    Kinda sad when you think about it but there seems to be no other choice but to play dirty. the other option is extinction.

I also believe that it's ok to play dirty when needed.

I'm still thinking about my earlier posts because those required planning, and it's hard to plan without necessary info. I'll just wish we had a very realistic computer simulation game

Nope. May rules of engagement naman. XD Akin ang mga magagandang babae. Papaibigin ko silang lahat. Hahaha.
    Nope. May rules of engagement naman. XD Akin ang mga magagandang babae. Papaibigin ko silang lahat. Hahaha.

hehe....

but seriously, that would embolden your enemies. them knowing that you have to defend your women and children while theirs can simply be left unguarded knowing you treat them well will put you at a disadvantage.

you die :)
    Alas. But (edit) beautiful women are my weakness. At least I'll die happy. or...

I'll kill off the ugly ones?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file