Home PEx Sports PBA

New Format Suggestion

The current format I think is fine. But don’t you guys want to see new format in the future to make the games more exciting/interesting? Here is just a suggestion for the New PBA format.

There are 10 teams the PBA has. Let’s keep the double elimination round as it is but I would like to have 2 teams eliminated instead of 1 after the elimination. That would leave us 8 remaining teams who will play in the playoffs. Here’s how it goes.

1 vs 8
4 vs 5

2 vs 7
3 vs 6

The no’s 1 – 4 team has a twice to beat advantage and obviously 5 – 8 must win twice to advance to the next round.

The next round will be played via best of 5 series featuring 1 vs 8- 4 vs 5 winners and 2 vs 7-3 vs 6 winners.

Ofcourse it will be a best of seven series for the final round between the survivors of the 1 vs 8-4 vs 5 and the surviving team in 2 vs 7-3 vs 6.

I've never liked the wildcard format. I feel that it is unfair for a team who just came up short in advancing to the quarters. What do you guys think?

Comments

• James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I like the current format. Wildcard should remain a knockout affair. Dati, the wildcard was a single round robin and I hated that kind of a format.

I would like to suggest to add Saturday games in Metro Manila para marami ang manood on weekends. Minimize, if not totally eliminate, the Wednesday games.
  • The current format is alright, i'm just saying maybe they should come out with another to make it different. Maybe try another one for a year para maiba naman sa paningin nang mga manonood.
  • PBA currently rotates between 2 formats (they've not used the round robin wild card format in like, 2 seasons):

1. The knockout format:
    Wild card
    WC1: 9 vs. 6
    WC2: 8 vs. 7
    WC: WC1 vs. WC2

Best of 3 QF:
    QF1: WC vs. 3
    QF2:5 vs. 4

Best of 7 SF:
    SF1: QF1 vs. 2
    SF2: QF2 vs. 1

Best of 7 Finals: SF1 vs. SF2

2. The one with twice to beat:
    WC1: 9 vs. 4 2x to beat
    WC2: 8 vs. 5
    WC3: 7 vs. 6
    WC4: 10 vs. 3 2x to beat

QF:
    QF1: WC1 vs. WC2
    QF2: WC3 vs. WC4

SF:
    SF1: QF1 vs. 1
    SF2: QF2 vs. 2

Best of 7 Finals: SF1 vs. SF2

Ang maganda lang sigurong gawin ng PBA, institutionalize yung 2 formats into exclusive use of one conference only. For example, yung knockout sa philippine cup, yung may twice to beat sa fiesta conference. dati may 14-game elimination/classification round rin pero mukhang hindi muna considered ito.:naughty:

Yung isang concept na gusto kong makita sa PBA ay yung re-seeding. hindi fixed kaagad ang future matchups. for example, if any wild card makes it all the way to the SF, kalaban nila ang #2, pero yung #1 kalaban nila mas mataas ang seeding sa kalaban ng #2. dapat may reseeding since yung PBA playoffs is essentially a 6-team tourney. (A notable 6-team tourney that has reseeding is the NFL Playoffs, NHL uses this for a 8-team tourney). Sa reseeding, the weakest seeded team faces the strongest seeded team, then the teams play in the other matchups.

OK na yung length ng playoff (7-game, 3-game and KO) series.
  • durden_tylerdurden_tyler PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    We have to consider the fact that being a commercial league the PBA wants maximum exposure to its teams; that's why in recent years we haven't seen a couple of teams eliminated just one or even just a "classification" round for the "regular season"

The post season, in this current format still screams unfair due to a lot of factors:

+ Seed 1 and 2 have extended rest (SMB to battle ABL teams according to reports just to keep off the rust)--- though this changed a bit as we have now a pair of KO games before the quarters start.

+ i don't know what to make of the "Wildcard" phase since it really just extends the season (understandable from a sales perspective) but what chances do SLR/COK/ROS/BK have after engaging in 2 straight do-or-die games in the best-of-three QF (and if lucky, the best of 5 SD and best of 7 Finals?) Simply, this format favors too much of the top seeded teams.

It's basically rust (1 and 2) vs. fatigue (WC teams) vs teams in the middle (not much rust and enough rhythm, i'd like to assume)

So yeah, it's not a perfect format but there's only so much you can change if you consider the "commercial" aspect of the league.
  • OK na rin yung bagong format. Dati kasi best of 5 ang QF na-rust na talaga ang nos. 1 and 2 basta't best of 7 ang semis makakabawi pa rin ang #1 and #2... di gaya sa UAAP, best of 3 kaya talo kaagad ang UE :naughty:

Also, having many playoff pairings may be a problem for scheduling, both for arenas and on TV. Kung apat ang matchups, at may twice to beat pa, parang walang flow yung series unlike kung 2 lang just as in the knockout wildcard format. at least sa 2x to beat format, 2 matchups lang ang twice to beat, so una silang papalaruin. kung may na-upset, after na ng knockout games siya. kung lahat ng top seeds may twice to beat, mahirap ang scheduling nyan.

(P.S. Ginamit na yang format dati ng PBA. 2000 All-Filipino Cup, featuring the "classic" series between Tanduay and PF, featuring now SLR coach Boyet Fernandez as the hero, court orders, two suspensions, and Sonny Alvarado. :D)
  • Di naman siguro mahirap mag schedule kung meron mang twice to beat. Just wait for the games to finish and then do the schedule.

I still think it's better to remove the Wildcard though. Playoffs are better.
  • i prefer the wildcard phase! mas maganda pero dapat tanggalin nila TWO teams after the elims and not one team lang.
  • well, smb fan ako, nasa semis. kaya para sakin ok lang ang format. *peace*
  • versa17versa17 PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    format suggestion

1st Elimination round
    Round robin match
    - meaning - lahat ng team maglalaban ng 1 beses

2nd Elimination round
    Group A will be composed of - Rank 1,3,5,7,9 teams
    Group B will be composed of - Rank 2,4,6,8,10 teams
    - kaya ko naisip ito para maysaysay yung 1st Elimination round saka para lahat ng games mataas ang bearing nya. saka para exciting yung laban kasi need talaga manalo para sa placing
    Group A - round robin again pero between their group only
    Group B - round robin again pero between their group only
    counted yung mga panalo nila nong 1st Elimination

Wildcard Stage
    Overall standing nila after 2nd Elimination
    Top 2 teams sa Semifinals agad
    3 vs 10
    4 vs 9
    5 vs 8
    6 vs 7
    Teams Rank 3,4,5&6 are twice to beat advantage

QuarterFinals stage
    Winner of (3 vs 10) vs Winner of (6 vs 7)
    Winner of (4 vs 9) vs Winner of (5 vs 8)
    - Best of 3 - kasi para makapaglaro agad yung nasa Semis na team

SemiFinals Stage
    1 vs Winner from 3,10,6&7
    2 vs Winner from 4,9,5&8
    - Best of 7

Finals Stage
    Winner from 1,3,10,6&7
    Winner from 2,4,9,5&8
    - Best of 7

Comment kayo kung ok o hindi
  • aseroasero PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    i would like to see the format of milo basketeers be applied in the pba.

wherein you can only substitute players in between quarters
  • versa17 wrote: »
    format suggestion

1st Elimination round
    Round robin match
    - meaning - lahat ng team maglalaban ng 1 beses

2nd Elimination round
    Group A will be composed of - Rank 1,3,5,7,9 teams
    Group B will be composed of - Rank 2,4,6,8,10 teams
    - kaya ko naisip ito para maysaysay yung 1st Elimination round saka para lahat ng games mataas ang bearing nya. saka para exciting yung laban kasi need talaga manalo para sa placing
    Group A - round robin again pero between their group only
    Group B - round robin again pero between their group only
    counted yung mga panalo nila nong 1st Elimination

Wildcard Stage
    Overall standing nila after 2nd Elimination
    Top 2 teams sa Semifinals agad
    3 vs 10
    4 vs 9
    5 vs 8
    6 vs 7
    Teams Rank 3,4,5&6 are twice to beat advantage

QuarterFinals stage
    Winner of (3 vs 10) vs Winner of (6 vs 7)
    Winner of (4 vs 9) vs Winner of (5 vs 8)
    - Best of 3 - kasi para makapaglaro agad yung nasa Semis na team

SemiFinals Stage
    1 vs Winner from 3,10,6&7
    2 vs Winner from 4,9,5&8
    - Best of 7

Finals Stage
    Winner from 1,3,10,6&7
    Winner from 2,4,9,5&8
    - Best of 7

Comment kayo kung ok o hindi

ok din...kaso bakit walang team na na eliminate after the Elimination round? dapat talaga na merong team na matanggal kundi mag easy2x lang yung iba dahil wala naman matatanggal eh. every team is assured of a playoff game kasi even if may twice to beat advantage yung kalaban nila. there should always be a team who gets booted out after the elims.
  • James Ty IIIJames Ty III PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    dayspin wrote: »
    i prefer the wildcard phase! mas maganda pero dapat tanggalin nila TWO teams after the elims and not one team lang.

Puwede ito if the PBA has 12 teams or more.
  • suggestion ko, double-round eliminations, 18 games and a 5-5-7 format. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.

a quarterfinals best of five series, para wala reklamo ang top two teams in case they got booted out, gaya ng nangyari sa Mobiline in 1999 All Filipino vs Ginebra, twice-to-beat advantage, kung best of three matalo lang sa Game 1 ang top team pressured na, so a 5-game series will do it.

semifinals, I prefer best of five series too instead best of seven pattern to the NBA na parang east and west finals, dapat ang best of seven series sa championship only, para hungry ang mga fans sa long series, its too tiring to see three best of seven series right now.

alisin na wild card phase, sayang ang effort ng mga teams, and the top two outright qualifiers at times in a disadvantage of having a long vacation for three weeks.
  • tito423 wrote: »
    suggestion ko, double-round eliminations, 18 games and a 5-5-7 format. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.

a quarterfinals best of five series, para wala reklamo ang top two teams in case they got booted out, gaya ng nangyari sa Mobiline in 1999 All Filipino vs Ginebra, twice-to-beat advantage, kung best of three matalo lang sa Game 1 ang top team pressured na, so a 5-game series will do it.

semifinals, I prefer best of five series too instead best of seven pattern to the NBA na parang east and west finals, dapat ang best of seven series sa championship only, para hungry ang mga fans sa long series, its too tiring to see three best of seven series right now.

alisin na wild card phase, sayang ang effort ng mga teams, and the top two outright qualifiers at times in a disadvantage of having a long vacation for three weeks.
    With the current set-up (TV and teams) the maximum number of series that can be played simultaneously is 2. That's why the PBA when they have more than 2 series those are usually short (either 2x to beat or a single KO game.)

So we'd have to make do with the 2 matchups/round.
  • ^^^good point on the set up thing.
    so maybe we can automatically advance the no 1 and 2 teams to the semis and the playoffs will have 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 in a 5 game series. we'll eliminate 4 teams.
    tito423 wrote: »
    suggestion ko, double-round eliminations, 18 games and a 5-5-7 format. 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5.

the no 1 and 2 teams should atleast have an incentive coming in to the playoffs. sayang naman ang effort nila for playing well in the elims kung di mabibigyan nang incentive like a twice to beat advantage.
  • mhykael11 wrote: »
    ^^^good point on the set up thing.
    so maybe we can automatically advance the no 1 and 2 teams to the semis and the playoffs will have 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 in a 5 game series. we'll eliminate 4 teams.

that is essentially the format now, but the 4th team comes from the wildcard. ok na rin young may wild card, yung knock out format, tapos yung QF best of 3. yun na ang pinakaideal for the PBA right now. mas OK sana kung may reseeding pero OK na yung ngayon.

kung dalawa na ang TV partners at marami nang teams (more than 10) pwede na sigurong more than 2 series at the same time ang gawin ng PBA.
  • ^^^oh, that's right, my bad. :lol:
    parang tinanggal ko lang pala yung Wildcard. :lol: