Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

UST's Academic Projects for 2011

Let's talk about the Thomasian pulse on academics for 2011. Our dreams, hopes, criticisms connected to the efforts of the U-admin; plus the ongoing academic projects that have been cued by them. Salamat, at mabuhay!

*please respond articulately. :)

Comments

• sana magkaroon na ng dentistry sa ust.hehe un na lang ata kulang sa medical field ng ust eh (except for caregivers at di naman ata considered as medical mga yun eh)
  • Also, sana magkaron din ng veterinary medicine.
  • boyacads wrote: »
    sana magkaroon na ng dentistry sa ust.hehe un na lang ata kulang sa medical field ng ust eh (except for caregivers at di naman ata considered as medical mga yun eh)

Magkakaroon daw ng dentistry sa UST by 2015? not sure kung 2011 or 2015. It will be under Medicine and Surgery.

UST had already introduced new programs this year:
    - BS Management Accounting (AMV Accountancy)
    - BS Speech and Language Therapy (CRS)

There are also changes in the curriculum and programs, BS Tourism is now known as BS Travel Management. Advertising started to revamp its curriculum as well.

For Artlets, semestral load of its programs will be reduced from 24 units to 21. Then Journalism and Communication Arts will be separated from Arts and Letters to form Institute of Media Studies. There will also be new program offerings for AB: English and History by next year.

source - changes in AB and CFAD: http://www.varsitarian.net/news/20090715/artlets_cfad_undergo_face_lift
    sana magkaroon na ng dentistry sa ust.hehe un na lang ata kulang sa medical field ng ust eh (except for caregivers at di naman ata considered as medical mga yun eh)

i think UST in the past offered dentistry but it was phased out. I don't know kung saan pa nila ilalagay 'yun. The medicine building is already crowded as it is. The facilities needed also to make this program work will be really expensive. Land area is really a great concern that the UST administration should look into.
    Then Journalism and Communication Arts will be separated from Arts and Letters to form Institute of Media Studies.
    Finally. The journalism and CA programs are being neglected by the faculty. Buti pa sa UP mas naaalagaan kasi they have a college of mass communications.

UST used to be one of the finest in these programs, evidenced by the roster of alumni, but the programs are slightly taking the backseat to the new AB courses. Though of course the programs remain competent to this day, but they could be better if proper attention would be given to them by people from the media itself and not to be under an administration with a different perspective. There should even be a separate college for literature and philosophy--which are considered Centers of Excellence.

UST should revive the once powerful Faculty of Philosophy and Letters (established in 1896) where UST produced the most respected writers, poets, philosophers, media people and academicians. Nawala kasi 'yung when they merged Philets with College of Liberal Arts because of cost-cutting during the 60's.
    There will also be new program offerings for AB: English and History by next year.
    Finally! Hopefully a centralized Department for English, History and Filipino also. Languages and social sciences in UST will decay if no proper attention are accorded them.
  • Magkakaroon daw ng dentistry sa UST by 2015? not sure kung 2011 or 2015. It will be under Medicine and Surgery.

UST had already introduced new programs this year:
    - BS Management Accounting (AMV Accountancy)
    - BS Speech and Language Therapy (CRS)

There are also changes in the curriculum and programs, BS Tourism is now known as BS Travel Management. Advertising started to revamp its curriculum as well.

For Artlets, semestral load of its programs will be reduced from 24 units to 21. Then Journalism and Communication Arts will be separated from Arts and Letters to form Institute of Media Studies. There will also be new program offerings for AB: English and History by next year.

source - changes in AB and CFAD: http://www.varsitarian.net/news/20090715/artlets_cfad_undergo_face_lift

Really? Sana nga matuloy yan at sana hindi na sila isiksik sa med building. sikip sikip na namin dun eh. *peace*

Oo, narinig ko na nga yan, institute of media studies? sana meron din parang csb courses like photography, digital film making, etc. :)
  • hopefully lahat ng colleges magkaroon ng grade cut-off na 2.2 GWA for freshmen. harsh ba? *peace*
  • hopefully lahat ng colleges magkaroon ng grade cut-off na 2.2 GWA for freshmen. harsh ba? *peace*

haha.. 2.0 kami eh. :bop: pero tama yan! para tumaas ang level ng UST.hehe
  • Siguro mga 2.5 naman at the minimum for other colleges, especially yung mga courses na walang board exams. Medyo may potential naman yung mga nasa 2.2 eh. Wag naman ganun. Saka may mga naging national artists eh drop out nga ng school eh. Tamad lang talaga. Pero that's how you gain a degree. You have to be tested in all aspects.

Pero I agree that we should set a standard para we can establish a culture in UST that getting in may be by simple determination of having adequacy in intellect (simple IQ entrance examinations) but making it to graduation a distinct experience that will be tested by utmost diligence and perseverance. I mean, they are studying in one of the best and they should prove that they can work harder to be deserving to use the name of UST in their transcript of records.
  • lneliouchioralneliouchiora PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I think UST should first strengthen its present roster of programs before adding new ones. Law and Business studies are examples.

If they really plan to add, I hope they offer Double Degree programs. :D
    They should also encourage minoring.
  • I think UST should first strengthen its present roster of programs before adding new ones. Law and Business studies are examples.

I agree.. pero dun sa mission and vision ng ust by 2011 wala *** business and lawsa mga parang "priorities" eh. Correct me if i'm wrong ah.

Oo, dapat may double degree na rin. para mas masaya.hehe
  • luibooweeluiboowee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I remember back then may proposal isang prof sa Commerce na mag-introduce ng program wherein sa Business Administration students may choose to have an "extended degree", so yung course nila will last for 5 years then paggraduate nila may MBA degree na sila.

Kaso yung board ata or yung reagent ng Commerce ayaw niya kasi magmamahal ang tuition ng "mga bata" kasi may additional units na ilalagay. Yun daw yung iniiwasan nila, yung magtaas ng tuition.

Sayang talaga yung opportunity na yun kasi sana ngayon may MBA degree na ako fresh-out-of-college. hehe.

Although ok na rin yung mga ginawa sa Commerce where hiniwa-hiwalay na yung mga "majors" tapos BSBA degree na, unlike before na BS Commerce, tapos major in Bus.Admin. Now, they offer majors in Finance, Marketing, and Business Economics. Other majors that they plan to offer are Operations and Human Resources.
  • Sana matuloy 'yan, luiboowee. ;) Medyo hindi kasi ako maka-relate sa commerce because I'm from Arts and Letters. The college below commerce :lol:
    Sana mag-introduce ng isang "campus" ang UST sa Makati or Taguig. Tapos doon sila mag-offer ng creative arts courses or programs like photography, digital arts, animation, fashion, and alike.

But the question is: Does UST really need to offer such programs?

I agree na sana may Dentistry sa UST para makapag-compete ang Med School natin sa Med School ng UP-Manila.

Veterinary and agricultural courses should be offered either in UST-Sta. Rosa or UST-GenSan, if UST would push through offering those programs.

Yung issue sa "space" ng campus, ito ata yung solution why UST planned to put up extension campuses in Laguna and Mindanao.
    If magkakaroon ng Institute of Media Studies, sana umalis na ang Commerce sa St. Raymund building para solo ng AB (ArtLets and "IMS") ang building na yun.

If it's true na ilalabas ang UST High School sa Espana, sana sa Benavides Building na lang ang Commerce. hehehe. Tapos yung ililipat sana doon ay wag nang umalis, hehe. Kasi sobrang crowded talaga sa St. Raymund tapos hindi pa related ang mga nandoon in term of their fields.
  • mykel angelomykel angelo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sana merong Geodetic Engineering. Saka organized ang courses sa MAth and Sciences sa Engineering. Yung Math courses dapat sa Department of Math kunin etc.
  • luiboowee wrote: »
    Sana mag-introduce ng isang "campus" ang UST sa Makati or Taguig. Tapos doon sila mag-offer ng creative arts courses or programs like photography, digital arts, animation, fashion, and alike.

But the question is: Does UST really need to offer such programs?

I agree na sana may Dentistry sa UST para makapag-compete ang Med School natin sa Med School ng UP-Manila.

Veterinary and agricultural courses should be offered either in UST-Sta. Rosa or UST-GenSan, if UST would push through offering those programs.

Yung issue sa "space" ng campus, ito ata yung solution why UST planned to put up extension campuses in Laguna and Mindanao.
    ba't parang di ako aware na may UST Gensan at Sta.Rosa?
  • I think UST should first strengthen its present roster of programs before adding new ones. Law and Business studies are examples.

Agree. Kailangan talaga na i-improve yung business courses and law in terms of faculty profile, curriculum and admission policies. Tsaka dapat i-limit at maging mas mahigpit na ang retention policies sa College of Commerce. Besides, afaik, according sa student rule book, pwedeng mag-implement ng mas mahigpit pa kesa sa 9-unit debarment rule. Kaya may maintaining grade sa nursing, arki, and accountacy among others. Most of the time, lagi na lang inaakala ng mga tao na bagsakan ang kolehiyong ito. I believe it's time na i-level ng USTe ang image/profile ng lahat ng students ng lahat ng college, faculty and institute.

Anyway, may double degree course na offered sa UST dati na na-scrapped. Not exactly sure sa name ng program pero yun yung course ng HS friend ko (batch '08). Sila yung last batch ata. Education-related yung course.

probably because di ka pa student nung time na na-publicized yung plans for expansion through the Varsitarian. The plan was mentioned on the said publication on or a little later than 2005 'ata. I was on my second year back then when I got aware of it. Pansin ko, wala masyado balita regarding sa developments ng mga campus na 'to. Anyway, sana matuloy.
  • luiboowee wrote: »
    I remember back then may proposal isang prof sa Commerce na mag-introduce ng program wherein sa Business Administration students may choose to have an "extended degree", so yung course nila will last for 5 years then paggraduate nila may MBA degree na sila.

Kaso yung board ata or yung reagent ng Commerce ayaw niya kasi magmamahal ang tuition ng "mga bata" kasi may additional units na ilalagay. Yun daw yung iniiwasan nila, yung magtaas ng tuition.

Sayang talaga yung opportunity na yun kasi sana ngayon may MBA degree na ako fresh-out-of-college. hehe.

Although ok na rin yung mga ginawa sa Commerce where hiniwa-hiwalay na yung mga "majors" tapos BSBA degree na, unlike before na BS Commerce, tapos major in Bus.Admin. Now, they offer majors in Finance, Marketing, and Business Economics. Other majors that they plan to offer are Operations and Human Resources.

One of our professor educated us regarding that. Meron atang collaboration ang Commerce with a foreign business university that will offer a degree coming from UST and that particular university. Parang you will choose to study your first 2 years in college sa UST Commerce then study half of it abroad or study abroad agad for your first 2 years then yung another half sa UST na.. I think nagbibigay narin sila ng MBA scholarship for outstanding students. The only candidate for summa cumlaude in our batch this year was given an MBA scholarship in the Catholic University of Korea(I think this is the name of the university).:)
    boyacads wrote: »

Well, wala pang Sta. Rosa and GenSen campuses. ;) Medyo hindi na masyadong publicized yung plans na yun pero sure na yun. Try looking at those brochures na nagbebenta ng mga house and lot sa Sta. Rosa, tapos check mo yung location map. Most probably may mga nakalagay ng "proposed UST." I think malapit sa Canlubang yung isang area na puro schools. Nakatayo na dun yung sa La Salle. Magkakaroon din doon ang St. Scho. So probably in 2020's baka may mala-University Belt na doon. *okay*

Hanap ako ng article about the plans for Sta. Rosa and GenSan campuses. Ang alam ko nga magkakaroon din ng UST Sri Lanka eh. :)