Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

Renovations and physical developments in preparation for 2011

pampi1010pampi1010 Orthos Paidion PEx Expert 🎖️
Aside from the obvious, what are the renovations and changes do you see in the University? I read somewhere that this coming year, 2010, all buildings in the campus will be repainted.

--

1. St. Martin de Porres building (Medicine and Surgery building):

In the past few months, Med bldg. has been blessed with so much refurbishments. I see the changes necessary because the building has been the center of big events lately. Important visits: Hillary's visit and ABS-CBN's Harapan, just to name a few.
- The front park/gazebos were renovated early this school year.
- Comfort rooms also.
- The new desktop computers with widescreen monitors of the Medical Informatics Center of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery, according to the technician, will soon be replaced with Apple computers! Astig!

2. UST Hospital - Clinical Division

The biggest ward in the country isn't to be left behind. Its lobby, the information desk, and a few new clinic cubicles were also overhauled. I think the facade is getting ready to be repainted also.

3. The first floor of the Miguel de Benavides Library where the General Circulation is situated is also having some on going physical developments. And of course, the Main Building. Everyone should visit the Main Building to have a pee. Haha. The comfort rooms are like no other in the University.

Comments

• i agree dun sa number 3. ganda ng comfort rooms nagulat ako.. hehehe :)
  • ^ I remember my classmate weeks ago when she went from AB to Main Building just to change uniform for PE. Kasi raw mas cozy tignan haha. Pang hotel ba!

Nagugulat nalang ako kapag may nakikita akong ongoing constructions. Just like sa tapat ng AB, yung may mga puno, may misteryosong face-lifting activity roon kasi nakatakip tapos may "man at work" na karatula.

I can feel na mas maganda ang UST sa future, hindi lang sa physical appearance. :)
  • What I really wish that UST would invest (heavily) on is a university theater. Hopefully, double (or triple) the size and the seating capacity of the medicine auditorium.

I know it's expensive and all but I believe that UST will be making a big investment if this pushes through. The university will be giving an avenue to the artistic talents in UST and promote other social sciences (film/communication arts/drama/theather). I don't know how UST will do this and given the land area of the university, but it's something that a lot of thomasians have been waiting for. A theater can also be a venue for other gatherings that will bring hype to UST. It can host numerous events--academic or social.

I think this will dispel the silence that is publicly perceived of UST.
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    What about the most important factor on what UST gives?

Education? What will they change/ add/ unveil in the academic program of UST?

Thinking this is a 400yr anniversary, they should have a grand unveiling of something academic.
  • markfroilanmarkfroilan 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    pampi1010 wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious, what are the renovations and changes do you see in the University? I read somewhere that this coming year, 2010, all buildings in the campus will be repainted.

3. The first floor of the Miguel de Benavides Library where the General Circulation is situated is also having some on going physical developments. And of course, the Main Building. Everyone should visit the Main Building to have a pee. Haha. The comfort rooms are like no other in the University.

My Interior Design buddy re-made the main bldg cr's, and ateneo's as well. makakarating sa kanya
  • pati ba yung toilets sa tabi ng central seminary and relocated covereg courts design din niya?
  • LabuyoXVIIILabuyoXVIII PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    I think a trip back to UST is necessary. I want to see all these improvements in the campus.
  • clawed_out wrote: »
    xxxthey should have a grand unveiling of something academic.

Exactly. it's not that hard to think of a concept, prepare for and stage a grand party of sorts, as obviously UST has the media power and the creative people to put all this in place. Obviously, the last paskuhan party outshone the other events of the other universities.

I agree that something academic-related should also be unveiled. Something that would make UST the authority on a particular field, that all thinks that UST will never do or something like that. For example, in sports, the new gym will take to greater heights our sports program. The same should be done with our academics.
  • Saka baka puwedeng ayusin mga roads and sidewalks sa loob ng UST na rin. Kasi maraming darating sa 2011 di ba? Kasi 'yung ibang mga kalsada eh pangit na especially 'yung papunta sa medicine building sa gilid ng st. raymunds. Baka naman pwede rin 'yun. :D
  • clawed_outclawed_out PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    All of this is pretty much cosmetic.

We need something academically substantial.

Or am I alone on this road?
  • dapat center of excellence na lahat ng courses.hehe :)

or kung hindi possible yun..

siguro okay din na magdagdag ng courses na sa ust lang meron, para kahit papanu at par na tayo with UP sa kanilang mga agricultural courses.hehe*okay*

dapat gawa na sila ng naval or aifcraft related courses. gawin nilang college ang DMST!hehe astig un.:bop:
  • magtigil ka :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
  • ^ sorry, but that's already beyond this thread's topic. This thread asks for 'physical' renovations that are cued for the Q-celebration. Please observe coherency because interested readers want straight answers. :)
  • legman11 wrote: »
    magtigil ka :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

haha... anu ba sinisira mo tuwa ko. :lol:
    :bop::bop::bop:
  • markfroilanmarkfroilan 🐯 Tiger Squad🥈
    ACQUARIAN wrote: »
    pati ba yung toilets sa tabi ng central seminary and relocated covereg courts design din niya?

if the partitions dividing the cubicles are the same and the shade of green is in a way continued from the main bldg,,,chances are he could've....why you asked?
  • luibooweeluiboowee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    boyacads wrote: »
    dapat center of excellence na lahat ng courses.hehe :)

or kung hindi possible yun..

siguro okay din na magdagdag ng courses na sa ust lang meron, para kahit papanu at par na tayo with UP sa kanilang mga agricultural courses.hehe*okay*

dapat gawa na sila ng naval or aifcraft related courses. gawin nilang college ang DMST!hehe astig un.:bop:

Nice! :)

I agree na medyo off-topic ito. Can someone take the initiative to create a new thread for this topic? Like "UST Academic Improvements for 2011"?

Anyways, kahit wala pa, reply muna ako dito, hehe.

Yung agriculture courses baka pwedeng mag introduce ang UST GenSan since nasa Mindanao ito (RP's Agri Zone). Given naman na state universities ang mga nag-o-offer ng courses na hindi usually ino-offer ng private universities. Like astronomy and geology (yata) na UP lang ang nag-o-offer.

Ok na yung may focus ang UST. Kasi baka mawalan ng "identity" ang UST kung hindi sila mag concentrate sa core competencies nito na courses like Medical and Science courses, Arts (like Music, Archi & Fine Arts), Canon Law/Seminary, Civil Law, and Engineering.

Mas ok pa for me na tawaging "Best Medical School" or "Best Engineering School" or "Training Ground for the Finest Educators" ang UST kesa sa sabihing madaming courses na ino-offer dito.

If there's one academic development na kailangang gawin ng UST ay i-develop or iimprove ang courses na ino-offer sa loob ng "St. Raymund's Building." I'm referring to Commerce and Arts & Letters. Well, galing ako sa building na yun, and nandun ang two of the largest colleges/faculties in UST. Nagkakaroon tuloy ako ng impression na "cash cow" ang building na yun, hehe. Wala atang licensure exams ang mga nasa building na yun kaya hindi napagtutuuan ng pansin. Considering na maraming high school students ang gustong mag work sa mga offices or multimedia, or magtayo ng sariling business, so sana doon mag-concentrate ang UST in terms of developing its academic status. *okay*
  • luibooweeluiboowee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Can someone post here yung mga plans ng UST like yung movement ng mga colleges/faculties?

I read somewhere na ilalabas ang UST High School sa isang building outside UST, across Espana. Tapos doon ata sa Benavides Building (USTHS) ililipat ang College of Science and Faculty of Pharmacy. Where the Main Building would become just an administrative building and Museum apart from being the home of Faculty of Civil Law.

Ang wish ko talaga magkaroon na ng sariling building either ang Commerce or Arts & Letters. Kasi nagsisiksikan ang mga students ng colleges na yun in one 4-storey building (exc. Commerce's AVR on the 5th floor).

May space pa ba for another school building inside the campus?
  • bahamut_zerobahamut_zero chinito na moreno PEx Expert 🎖️
    Sana isama na sa physical developments ang pagrenovate ng facade ng St. Raymunds, sa lahat ata ng buildings, ito ang mukhang rundown. Simula nung nag-graduate ako, ganon parin ang pintura, pati bintana.
  • Sana isama na sa physical developments ang pagrenovate ng facade ng St. Raymunds, sa lahat ata ng buildings, ito ang mukhang rundown. Simula nung nag-graduate ako, ganon parin ang pintura, pati bintana.

Agree!

'Wag naman nila kalimutan ang ating building! :lol:
  • boybelowboybelow PEx Rookie ⭐
    There was a sort of program extension for the students of the College of Commerce to pursue a one year operations management course in AIM. However, it did not materialize, mababa ata yung percentage na may gusto.

Nasa wishlist ko rin na pag-isahin na o bumuo ng College of Economics ang Commerce and AB. Maganda naman ang program ng Econ ng UST most especially yung sa Commerce. Maganda rin ang faculty profile nila.

Center of Dev ang buong Commerce sana mag-strive para maging Center of Excellence. 1 pa lang naman ang school na Center of Excellence in Business education.