Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

A Woman Thomasian Judge gets Ampatuan case

Below is an excerpt of what I read on a news website:

Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes is treating the trial of Andal Ampatuan Jr. for the massacre of 57 people as an ordinary case that would not require any special police security.

Deputy Director General Jefferson Soriano of the Philippine National Police told reporters after a meeting with Reyes that the judge did not feel any immediate need for a bodyguard.

“If she does need one, she said she will call us,” Soriano said. “She said she will treat this as an ordinary case. She was very composed, very confident when I talked to her. I don’t think she was surprised, she is prepared to handle this.”

A University of Santo Tomas law graduate, Reyes was a public attorney for three years before she began serving as a public prosecutor in 1995. In 2001, she became Municipal Trial Court judge in Angeles City and started her stint in the Quezon City court in 2004.

A lawyer described Reyes as the “silent type” who did things by the book.

“She is lenient and considerate,” the lawyer told the Inquirer in a text message. “She is poker mannered. You can hardly read what’s her inclinations which is good so you won’t leave anything to chance in getting things done before her court.”

Fellow thomasians, or otherwise, let's pray for her.

Comments

• Below is an excerpt of what I read on a news website:

Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes is treating the trial of Andal Ampatuan Jr. for the massacre of 57 people as an ordinary case that would not require any special police security.

Deputy Director General Jefferson Soriano of the Philippine National Police told reporters after a meeting with Reyes that the judge did not feel any immediate need for a bodyguard.

“If she does need one, she said she will call us,” Soriano said. “She said she will treat this as an ordinary case. She was very composed, very confident when I talked to her. I don’t think she was surprised, she is prepared to handle this.”

A University of Santo Tomas law graduate, Reyes was a public attorney for three years before she began serving as a public prosecutor in 1995. In 2001, she became Municipal Trial Court judge in Angeles City and started her stint in the Quezon City court in 2004.

A lawyer described Reyes as the “silent type” who did things by the book.

“She is lenient and considerate,” the lawyer told the Inquirer in a text message. “She is poker mannered. You can hardly read what’s her inclinations which is good so you won’t leave anything to chance in getting things done before her court.”

Fellow thomasians, or otherwise, let's pray for her.

Very brave woman, indeed! *okay* May the Divine Being guide her all throughout the hearing.
  • Goodluck & God bless to her. :)
  • tupangusatupangusa PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    apart from our best wishes and prayer , the madame judge needs extra security!!!!
  • eh yung judge na graduate ng UP nagbackout...lol.
  • ^
    mmm...wag ganon..bad..

good luck and God bless Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes! :)
  • i hope she will be safe for anything that can hurt her and her family. if i'm a judge and was offered to take this case for sure i'll chicken out too. i really adore her. i just read an article in a tabloid about her getting the case. she needs our prayers for this is not any other case. she needs extra security and prayers from the people especially thomasians :D
  • OT: grabe ha, ang sexist ng title ng thread, and i understand na kahit walang ganun intent ang ts, sana naman may preassessment na naganap dun sa pagpost ng title kasi maiisip agad jan:

ANO NAMAN KUNG BABAE SIYA?

Para mo na ring inimply sa thread title na female judges are produced rarely (insert sexist reason here) o kaya stereotypically-reinforced na male ang general gender ng mga Judges kaya you thought it necessary to write this judge a "woman" Interchangeable man o hindi (judge woman, woman judge), still has the same connotations.

Saka, if you're going to say na "what's wrong with telling what is?", naku, jan tayo magkakaanuhan.
  • God bless you, maam!

How this case would progress may, in a way, change the political landscape in the province and, probably, set an example to all politicians in the country who would choose the path of violence just to keep themselves in power and who are amassing public funds to the detriment of their constituents. This would also inspire the people from the media to be more free and to be more vigilant. That to make our democracy work, freedom of access to information and the freedom of expression should be upheld. Those who unjustly curtail the free exercise of these rights, in whatever means, will be sanctioned by law. After all, media men were killed also that prompted all these events and gave rise to the present case.

Anyway, let's not make that sexist thing an issue anymore. Let's just be proud that an alumna of ours will be at the helm of a very controversial and important case that would, once and for all, put to justice one of the big guns in maguindanao.

Hmmm.. I don't want to impute malice on the part of the thread starter. I think that the thread starter might just have in mind that women judges can be the toughest and even the best in the administration of justice. It is without a doubt that this field is dominated by men since time immemorial.
  • She was praised last night during Paskuhan.

'Yang pagiging matapang, matalino at walang takot kahit kanino isinasagawa 'yan ng mga Tomasino.

'Yung iba kasi puro satsat lang.
  • represent.

as mentioned by the posters, more then our praises, judge solis-reyes needs our prayers.
  • We wish you good luck, and please keep safe Atty Reyes.

Ashlars, tapang sa gawa, hindi tapang sa salita.
  • epalog wrote: »
    represent.

as mentioned by the posters, more th(a)n our praises, judge solis-reyes needs our prayers.

right on! *okay*

This will truly be one of the biggest cases, and probably one of the most challenging, in her career as a judge. A judge must never shirk in his duty in upholding the rule of law, even in its seeming silence in a particular case.

Who knows, she might get a promotion in handling this case alone?
  • We wish you good luck, and please keep safe Atty Reyes.
    We should address her as "Judge Reyes." She holds a position in the judiciary. We don't want to be put in contempt of court, do we? :lol:

:D
  • :lol: Sorry my bad, stand corrected na. "Judge Reyes". :hiya:
  • OT: grabe ha, ang sexist ng title ng thread, and i understand na kahit walang ganun intent ang ts, sana naman may preassessment na naganap dun sa pagpost ng title kasi maiisip agad jan:

Para mo na ring inimply sa thread title na female judges are produced rarely (insert sexist reason here) o kaya stereotypically-reinforced na male ang general gender ng mga Judges kaya you thought it necessary to write this judge a "woman" Interchangeable man o hindi (judge woman, woman judge), still has the same connotations.

Saka, if you're going to say na "what's wrong with telling what is?", naku, jan tayo magkakaanuhan.

makulayangbuhay

You’re right, nothing sexist was implied in my post. The title I used is an exact quote (sans, of course, the word thomasian) from a news headline. I was pleased that fate chose it to be a woman judge. Women are naturally steadfast and have a brand of wisdom this world cannot absolutely do without. (The fact that God or the Universe gave to women the bearing and principal rearing of children are a testament to women’s unequaled importance in certain aspects of gender differences. You only need to see great men who were reared and influenced by their mothers. A recent example is Barack Obama – not maybe great enough in everyone’s book but he is great enough nonetheless. Remember, he had an absentee father.) Her being a woman may have even brought discredit to the male sex considering that it was a male judge who earlier refused to accept the case. I won’t blame him though. I appreciate his candor and openness and his courage before those who vilified him. I would rather have a willing judge than one whose acuity and judgment could be impaired by fear for himself and his family.

But hey wait, is it not your mind reading too much in the title? Or maybe it is actually your mind that is sexist?

i think the TS just emphasized the cowardliness of MR. judge by telling to us that a WOMAN replaced her as a judge in a very controversial case!

and the word THOMASIAN, to boast that "we are Thomasian/that's a Thomasian!"

"kung ano ang kaya ng lalaki kaya rin ng babae, kaya sa bus nakatayo sila."
  • The hearing starts now.

Our prayers go out to Judge Jocelyn Solis-Reyes.

Ang pagiging matapang, matalino at walang takot kahit kanino isinasagawa at isinasapuso 'yan ng mga Tomasino.

'Yung iba kasi hanggang cheerdance lang.
  • AltweggAltwegg PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    :lol: @ hanggang cheerdance lang ang pagiging matatapang, matatalino at walang takot.
  • AltweggAltwegg PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Iyan ang tunay na matapang, matalino at walang takot kanino.