Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

New UST website

UST came out with a "revitalized" website in time for its quadricentennial celebration. Any thoughts about the new look and content?;)

Comments

• It hasn't grown on me yet but initially, it does look a lot better than the previous web site. I just don't like the font. Maybe they should have used Arial.

I hope the contents are relevant and updated regularly. DLSU's web site is worth noting because it's always updated.
  • luibooweeluiboowee PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    Baka gagawing up-to-date na yung web site after the launch of the new design. Mas ok ngayon i think. Sana every college/faculty may micro site within the web site para ma-feature yung activities ng bawat college within UST.
  • lneliouchioralneliouchiora PEx Influencer ⭐⭐⭐
    napa check tuloy ako sa website. :lol:

Ayoko yung font ng UST sa header. It looks... meh. :bop:
    They should have a standard font for the University name for consistency and "identity" purposes.

Agree ako kay Kuya A, sana maging up-to-date yung website at maging 'malaman'. Sana ma maximize nila ang utilization.

:D
  • napa check tuloy ako sa website. :lol:

Ayoko yung font ng UST sa header. It looks... meh. :bop:
    They should have a standard font for the University name for consistency and "identity" purposes.

Agree ako kay Kuya A, sana maging up-to-date yung website at maging 'malaman'. Sana ma maximize nila ang utilization.

:D

I agree with you. Dapat may standard font, etc. Even the labels, colors, etc. It's what DLSU does best, they have a Style Guide to ensure uniformity.

For example:

The DLSU Logotype

The university logotype is 'De La Salle University'. It uses the typeface Galliard, 90 % condensed, normal tracking. This particular typeface projects stability, quiet authority and dignity. It should be used whenever the logotype of the university signature is to be reproduced. The DLSU logo may appear without the logotype. However, the logotype should never be used without the logo. It should always appear together with the logo unless it is used as part of a text.

Galliard, 90% condensed, normal tracking

http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/inside/lasalliana/identity.asp
  • Ashlars wrote: »
    It hasn't grown on me yet but initially, it does look a lot better than the previous web site. I just don't like the font. Maybe they should have used Arial.

I hope the contents are relevant and updated regularly. DLSU's web site is worth noting because it's always updated.

You're right, the font is kinda inappropriate/ not in harmony with the design. They should've used leaner fonts instead. Anyway, I think there'll be improvements later on.

As for the contents, I noticed they just retained almost all of the information from the old website. Nothing really new (rehash). I just hope that the administrators will put premium on updated and relevant information, as this is a vital ingredient for an effective marketing campaign/ strategy.

Overall, the website looks elegant with its clean and simple design. Very much comparable with US universities' websites (layout wise). *okay*

Possible improvements (just my two cents):

1.) University News should already be visible in the homepage (the headlines)
    2.) Change the word "Donations" to "Giving to UST". I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the word "donations" sounds odd. :p
    3.) Opt for a leaner font. I guess the webmaster used Calibri to maximize the vast expanse of the webpage (or to remedy the lack of information?).
    4.) How about adding a Rector's corner? This page will contain the speeches, biography, former rectors and annual reports of the Rector Magnificus.
    5.) UST has beautiful campus (and people) and it'd be great if there will be more pictures/ slideshows highlighting the picturesque scenery.
    6.) Expound the information. Course description, outlines and professors' biographies are some of the relevant info prospective students are looking for.

Again, just my two cents
  • BlackLabel wrote: »
    You're right, the font is kinda inappropriate/ not in harmony with the design. They should've used leaner fonts instead. Anyway, I think there'll be improvements later on.

As for the contents, I noticed they just retained almost all of the information from the old website. Nothing really new (rehash). I just hope that the administrators will put premium on updated and relevant information, as this is a vital ingredient for an effective marketing campaign/ strategy.

Overall, the website looks elegant with its clean and simple design. Very much comparable with US universities' websites (layout wise). *okay*

2.) Change the word "Donations" to "Giving to UST". I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the word "donations" sounds odd. :p
    3.) Opt for a leaner font. I guess the webmaster used Calibri to maximize the vast expanse of the webpage (or to remedy the lack of information?).
    4.) How about adding a Rector's corner? This page will contain the speeches, biography, former rectors and annual reports of the Rector Magnificus.
    5.) UST has beautiful campus (and people) and it'd be great if there will be more pictures/ slideshows highlighting the picturesque scenery.
    6.) Expound the information. Course description, outlines and professors' biographies are some of the relevant info prospective students are looking for.

Again, just my two cents

I just hope someone from UST gets to read our suggestions.

I totally agree with everything that you mentioned.

As for the faculty list, it's nothing but just a bunch of names. Again, I point to the DLSU web site. Their faculty information is comprehensive.

An example:

Name:
    CARANDANG, ERNESTO II V.

Full-Time

ASSISTANT PROFESSOR

Department:
    FILIPINO, DEPARTAMENTO NG

Specialization:
    CREATIVE WRITING
    ART APPRECIATION
    JOURNALISM - FILIPINO
    LITERATURE
    FILIPINO
    HUMANITIES

Academic Information:
    School Name: DE LA SALLE UNIVERSITY
    Degree: Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing

School Name: UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS
    Degree: Bachelor of Arts in Journalism

School Name: UNIVERSITY OF SANTO TOMAS
    Degree: Bachelor of Arts Major in Literature

And yes, 'donations' is a bit off. It's like UST is groveling for money. :lol:

Rector's Corner sounds great, especially since Fr. Rector de la Rosa is, to me, one of the best Rectors of UST.

Finally, there has to be lots of campus shots! The UST campus is one of the most beautiful in the country, the administrators should flaunt it.
  • mykel angelomykel angelo PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    Sana updated yung laman ng website.
    I just hope someone from UST gets to read our suggestions.

I've already emailed the Office for Public Affairs about this new thread. I hope they follow/visit this thread regularly.
    *okay*
  • Thanks BlackLabel.

UST should retain the services of a writer. *ahem* :lol: Seriously, because there are portions of the web site that contain misspelled words or grammatical errors. There have been a number of times when I've emailed the web master about such instances.

Anyway, here's to more centuries of God's Unending Grace for UST.

*okay*

UST should retain the services of a writer. *ahem* :lol: Seriously, because there are portions of the web site that contain misspelled words or grammatical errors. There have been a number of times when I've emailed the web master about such instances.

Like this?

"Donations to the various projects of the university are most welcome. Interested parties may chose to support the projects/ programs:" :bop:

http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php/donations.html
    Ashlars wrote: »
    I agree with you. Dapat may standard font, etc. Even the labels, colors, etc. It's what DLSU does best, they have a Style Guide to ensure uniformity.

For example:

The DLSU Logotype

The university logotype is 'De La Salle University'. It uses the typeface Galliard, 90 % condensed, normal tracking. This particular typeface projects stability, quiet authority and dignity. It should be used whenever the logotype of the university signature is to be reproduced. The DLSU logo may appear without the logotype. However, the logotype should never be used without the logo. It should always appear together with the logo unless it is used as part of a text.

Galliard, 90% condensed, normal tracking

http://www.dlsu.edu.ph/inside/lasalliana/identity.asp

Tama! corporate identity rin kasi yun eh. Part na ata ng Marketing/Public Affairs ito.

Honestly, naaasiwa (at least, ako) kapag nakikita ko na abbreviated yung 'Santo' to 'Sto.' Tapos yung font ng UST, iba-iba.
    Nakakalito rin kung ano ba ang dapat mauna, 'Pontifical' o yung 'Royal'? Ang dami ko ring nakikitang iba't-ibang version ng seal. Pati nga yung logo ng Growling Tigers, meron sa wikipedia tapos may iba pang version ang ABS-CBN. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung ano sa 2 ang official.
    BlackLabel wrote: »

Again, just my two cents

I agree with all of your points. *okay*
    Though hinahanap ko rin yung flash animation malapit sa header. Pwedeng yun din yung announcement board ng site katulad sa La Salle. :)

Kuya A, mukhang lumalabas na pagka-LaSallian mo ah. :naughty::D
    Peace Kuya. *peace* :bashful:
  • Tama! corporate identity rin kasi yun eh. Part na ata ng Marketing/Public Affairs ito.

Honestly, naaasiwa (at least, ako) kapag nakikita ko na abbreviated yung 'Santo' to 'Sto.' Tapos yung font ng UST, iba-iba.
    Nakakalito rin kung ano ba ang dapat mauna, 'Pontifical' o yung 'Royal'? Ang dami ko ring nakikitang iba't-ibang version ng seal. Pati nga yung logo ng Growling Tigers, meron sa wikipedia tapos may iba pang version ang ABS-CBN. Hindi ko tuloy alam kung ano sa 2 ang official.

I agree with all of your points. *okay*
    Though hinahanap ko rin yung flash animation malapit sa header. Pwedeng yun din yung announcement board ng site katulad sa La Salle. :)

Kuya A, mukhang lumalabas na pagka-LaSallian mo ah. :naughty::D
    Peace Kuya. *peace* :bashful:

Correction: It's "Lasallian." According to the DLSU website: "Lasallian is always spelled as one word and the first letter is always capitalized." :lol:

No, Tomasino ako forever! Ilang beses na ako nagsuot ng UST shirt while attending my classes in DLSU grad school. Nakakairita 'yung mga feeling belong kaagad sa La Salle. 'Yung biglang nakalimot na sa UST.

But I digress.

I get your point/s lneliouchiora. Let's all just hope that the UST administration takes heed of our concerns and acts accordingly on all of them.

Go USTe!
    Like this?

"Donations to the various projects of the university are most welcome. Interested parties may chose to support the projects/ programs:" :bop:

http://www.ust.edu.ph/index.php/donations.html

Yep, it's what I like to call an "eat-me-ground-now!" moment. :(

It's embarrassing to see these errors. I think UST's Department of Communication needs to have a say about the web site's content. Or perhaps the Varsi can help.

I have an inkling it's only the STEPS people who are involved in the web site's operations. Those guys deal with technical stuff.
    Correction: It's "Lasallian." According to the DLSU website: "Lasallian is always spelled as one word and the first letter is always capitalized." :lol:

No, Tomasino ako forever! Ilang beses na ako nagsuot ng UST shirt while attending my classes in DLSU grad school. Nakakairita 'yung mga feeling belong kaagad sa La Salle. 'Yung biglang nakalimot na sa UST.

But I digress.

I get your point/s lneliouchiora. Let's all just hope that the UST administration takes heed of our concerns and acts accordingly on all of them.

Go USTe!

Sorry naman po. Yun kasi yung nasa newspaper nila eh. :D

Lol! Astig yung La Salle, kelangan magkapartner palagi yung logo pati yung name. :lol:
    Pati pala pagdating sa colors, merong official shade na kelangan gamitin.

I do hope they act on it. Kung pwede nag lang mag lurk sila sa PEx para makakuha ng mga idea eh. :lol:
    Yep, it's what I like to call an "eat-me-ground-now!" moment. :(

It's embarrassing to see these errors. I think UST's Department of Communication needs to have a say about the web site's content. Or perhaps the Varsi can help.

Correct! To think UST has one of the best journalism programs in the country.

With regard to the contents, I think STePs are using student-volunteers to come-up with the write-ups/ feature-stories. Although it's a good move to involve the youngsters in the process, a filter/ another eye would ensure that the "piece" is error-free. Granting that this particular process is being followed, I'd just treat every error as typographical for the meantime. :naughty::rotflmao::bop:
  • Sorry naman po. Yun kasi yung nasa newspaper nila eh. :D

Lol! Astig yung La Salle, kelangan magkapartner palagi yung logo pati yung name. :lol:
    Pati pala pagdating sa colors, merong official shade na kelangan gamitin.

I do hope they act on it. Kung pwede nag lang mag lurk sila sa PEx para makakuha ng mga idea eh. :lol:

O ayan, if ever you choose La Salle over UST, you already know some things about DLSU.

Aba, baka magkita pa tayo! Ay, baka hindi din pala. Kasi ang mga "frosh" (term ng mga Lasalyano for freshmen ewan ko kung bakit) ay itinatambak sa BAGH (that's Brother Andrew Gonzalez Hall). And yes, it's "Lasalyano," not "Lasalista."

Anyway, kung magkita man tayo sa La Salle, pagagalitan kita kasi 'di mo pinili ang UST. :lol:
  • At naku lneliouchiora, 'wag sana kita marinig sa BAGH na nagsasalita ng maarte kasi ihuhulog kita mula 21st floor. :rotflmao:

Kaasar mga "frosh" dun. Nuknukan ng arte! Panay "Whatever, whatever." Sarap bigyan ng isang matinding "WHAPAK!"

:rotflmao:
    Correct! To think UST has one of the best journalism programs in the country.

With regard to the contents, I think STePs are using student-volunteers to come-up with the write-ups/ feature-stories. Although it's a good move to involve the youngsters in the process, a filter/ another eye would ensure that the "piece" is error-free. Granting that this particular process is being followed, I'd just treat every error as typographical for the meantime. :naughty::rotflmao::bop:

Ahem, journ graduate here. :love:

Seems like we have the same coping mechanism BlackLabel. :lol: There have been lots of times when I told myself, "typo lang siguro 'yun." or "ay may typo na naman." or "ano ba 'yan? nakakahiya typo error." until "'di na siguro typo ito!"

Ahem, journ graduate here. :love:

Seems like we have the same coping mechanism BlackLabel. :lol: There have been lots of times when I told myself, "typo lang siguro 'yun." or "ay may typo na naman." or "ano ba 'yan? nakakahiya typo error." until "'di na siguro typo ito!"

Na-conscious tuloy ako bigla. Teka, baka may "typo" rin ako :rotflmao:
    O ayan, if ever you choose La Salle over UST, you already know some things about DLSU.

Aba, baka magkita pa tayo! Ay, baka hindi din pala. Kasi ang mga "frosh" (term ng mga Lasalyano for freshmen ewan ko kung bakit) ay itinatambak sa BAGH (that's Brother Andrew Gonzalez Hall). And yes, it's "Lasalyano," not "Lasalista."

Anyway, kung magkita man tayo sa La Salle, pagagalitan kita kasi 'di mo pinili ang UST. :lol:
    At naku lneliouchiora, 'wag sana kita marinig sa BAGH na nagsasalita ng maarte kasi ihuhulog kita mula 21st floor. :rotflmao:

Kaasar mga "frosh" dun. Nuknukan ng arte! Panay "Whatever, whatever." Sarap bigyan ng isang matinding "WHAPAK!"

LOL! :lol:

Ang kulet naman pakinggan nun! itatambak ang freshmen sa BAGH (BAG) :lol:
    Medyo corny, pero it really gets me big time. :lol:

Kuya A naman, sabi ko nga diba, kung san man ako mapadpad, I'll still be a UST supporter. :D
    If ever I do go to La Salle, UST parin ako. :D
    And thanks to you, baka makita mo rin ako wearing UST shirts. Gusto mo sabay pa tayo manood ng UST games. :lol:
    Kaya no need to make galit on me. :glee:

Hindi naman po ako ganun magsalita. Ako po ay tinuruan ng aking mga guro ng wastong pagsasalita mapa Ingles man ito o Filipino.
    Tska galing lang po ako sa isang simpleng pamilya. :D