Home PEx Campus University of Santo Tomas

Question for UST Medicine and/or Music students.

I will be entering UST Medicine by 2011 (If all things go well).

I would like to know if I could take extra courses in MUSIC. Audit course, to be exact.

Also, If i could join an official music group in UST? EX: Jazz band, orchestra, etc. Despite being a student of medicine and not of music. Thanks!

Comments

• hi. can an alumna of ust medicine speak? :)

goodluck on entering ust medicine. are you asking if you could take extra course/s in music while studying medicine? answer is, kung kakayanin mo.

subjects in medicine are toxic, schedules are so cramped, and quizzes/exams are so frequently given. studying medicine will devote 110% of your time and effort.

yes, you're so much welcome in joining an official music group of PEx. :)
  • amiloproamilopro PEx Veteran ⭐⭐
    mukhang di mo yan kakayanin :) Courses in music requires tremendous amounts of practice and time which will all be used up by your medicine subjects.

Prioritize mo na lang medicine mo muna :)
  • hi. can an alumna of ust medicine speak? :)

goodluck on entering ust medicine. are you asking if you could take extra course/s in music while studying medicine? answer is, kung kakayanin mo.

subjects in medicine are toxic, schedules are so cramped, and quizzes/exams are so frequently given. studying medicine will devote 110% of your time and effort.

yes, you're so much welcome in joining an official music group of PEx. :)

Thank you for your answer. :)

Yes, i am aware of that. But i would like to take music as an audit course. I wont have to be graded and i wont have to take exams if i dont want to. I just want to learn. :)

And in joining a music group, what i mean is joining an official UST conservatory music group such as the UST JAZZ BAND, etc. Despite not being a conservatory student.
  • BTW, in joining the UST JAZZ BAND, etc. I know that its very ambitious of me to join. Even some music students cant get in themselves. Im just wondering if they are open to non-music students. With auditions, of course.
  • Sorenn wrote: »
    Thank you for your answer. :)

Yes, i am aware of that. But i would like to take music as an audit course. I wont have to be graded and i wont have to take exams if i dont want to. I just want to learn. :)

And in joining a music group, what i mean is joining an official UST conservatory music group such as the UST JAZZ BAND, etc. Despite not being a conservatory student.

i don't know about that. perhaps you have to inquire personally at the conservatory of music.

UST FMS doesn't have any musical groups/bands (except for the medicine glee club).
  • Just an update. This is a memorable thread for me. :'(

I am now a 1st year med student, class of 2015. As of first shift, I wish my grades could be higher but I'm happy to have survived all of my subjects.

In addition, I've performed with the UST Jazz Band (UST Conservatory's official Jazz group) for the CCP Jazz festival (looong story). I'm also taking a non-credit course on Jazz Ensemble/Improvisation. Ako lang non-music dun. :)
  • Sorenn wrote: »
    Just an update. This is a memorable thread for me. :'(

I am now a 1st year med student, class of 2015. As of first shift, I wish my grades could be higher but I'm happy to have survived all of my subjects.

In addition, I've performed with the UST Jazz Band (UST Conservatory's official Jazz group) for the CCP Jazz festival (looong story). I'm also taking a non-credit course on Jazz Ensemble/Improvisation. Ako lang non-music dun. :)

Wow Sorenn, congrats! :) You're enjoying both of your passions, which are music and medicine. :)

So how do you find UST? Did you find it difficult to adjust? :)
  • Ashlars wrote: »
    Wow Sorenn, congrats! :) You're enjoying both of your passions, which are music and medicine. :)

So how do you find UST? Did you find it difficult to adjust? :)

Thank you! :) Things are going well. I did not expect this at all. I guess if you set your goals early on, there is no way that it wont happen. :)

I did. There was a moment wherein I would question my role and motivations as a UST med student...everyday. I'm not a fan of the area too. But yeah, it just takes getting used to. I'm here to learn anyway. I'm here because of UST's strengths and not the apparent unattractive facade of the nearby structures. Just need to get your priorities straight. :) Thanks for asking!